Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!
 
WebmasterPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 5,071
DISboards Administrator

Call in show this Tuesday - All About Dining

Hi everyone,

Mark your calendars We'll be doing a call-in show this week - the topic is dining at WDW. You can ask dining related questions of the team, suggestions for restaurants or dining venues you'd like to see us review, or make recommendations on your favorites. We'll start taking calls around 3pm eastern time Tuesday at 877-845-0054 If you've called in and gotten on the air in a recent show, we ask that you please give others a chance

Talk to you Tuesday!

Pete
__________________
WebmasterPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2 miles north of the Castle!
Posts: 21,914

I won't call in on Tuesday because I've been on a recent show but I did want to make a couple of comments for consideration.

High on our list of places to eat at WDW are some pretty diverse places.
  • We love the Dolphin Fountain for burgers, etc. As compared to Beaches & Cream (which used to be a favorite of ours but has gone downhill over many years) the burgers are much better and its easier to get a seat.
  • We are big fans of Yachtsman Steak House but we haven't yet tried the competition, Shula's or the Bull & Bear. We will be doing the B&B this coming weekend though.
  • While wandering around World Showcase in the afternoon or evening we love to stop for a beverage and a snack at La Cava del Tequila and a new favorite, Tutto Gusto.
  • Artist Point is our favorite romantic dining spot and we really enjoy the different offerings they have on the menu. Where else do you find buffalo on the menu?
__________________
OKW Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!
 
BriarRosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,165

I can't call in due to work, but I second Jeff's comments.

I could talk about WDW food all day, I probably couldn't focus my comments to just one thing. Well, maybe one thing. Solo dining at WDW. I do take solo trips (last one being in May), and there's really nothing wrong with dining solo. You can make an ADR or go as a walk-up to places that aren't the biggest draws. Or you can often eat in the bars of many restaurants. I did this at the bar at the Wave and at the Tune In Lounge. But I also have been seated at tables as walk-up at Hollywood Brown Derby and Citrico's.
__________________
BriarRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible
 
*NikkiBell*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,286
DISboards Moderator

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the increasing price of quick service meals vs. table service....

-insert shameless plug a la Tom Bell here-

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08/...eally-a-steal/
__________________
Nikki
DIS Unplugged Forum Moderator & Blogger

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter






2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one
 
ImTooExcitedToSleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the increasing price of quick service meals vs. table service....

-insert shameless plug a la Tom Bell here-

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08/...eally-a-steal/
Shameless plug AND name dropping....I'm impressed.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
GAN
DIS Veteran
 
GAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
Posts: 1,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell*
I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the increasing price of quick service meals vs. table service....

-insert shameless plug a la Tom Bell here-

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08/...eally-a-steal/
Good point and a great analysis -to take that one step further, add in the TIW discount ($100 w/DVC, $75 w/AP) of 20% and you're looking at TS offerings at similar prices to QS. We just returned from a 7-day trip and we saved $110 beyond the price of the TIW card without really trying. One thing that might be discussed is the new "My Disney Experience" App, which includes the ability to make Dining Reservations from within the App. What we liked about it was you could do a random search based on where you were(or where you planned to be) at a given time, then it would show the restaurants with availability and at which times.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 16,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the increasing price of quick service meals vs. table service....

-insert shameless plug a la Tom Bell here-

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08/...eally-a-steal/
DD just got back from 15 days at WDW...
she told me how shocked she was at the CS prices....she didn't care because she was on the full dining plan (not free dining- paid for dining)...

we were discussing how even though buying the dining plan might not be cheaper than paying out of pocket, it's less painful as you don't think about the price..
she said that had she had to pay those high CS prices out of pocket it would have really bothered her...

i mentioned your article to her and she said she definitely found it to be true that CS is almost as expensive as TS...and with CS you don't get a bottomless drink like you do with TS, which she finds to be really important in the middle of the hot florida day...
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!
 
BriarRosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,165

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
DD just got back from 15 days at WDW...
she told me how shocked she was at the CS prices....she didn't care because she was on the full dining plan (not free dining- paid for dining)...

we were discussing how even though buying the dining plan might not be cheaper than paying out of pocket, it's less painful as you don't think about the price..
she said that had she had to pay those high CS prices out of pocket it would have really bothered her...

i mentioned your article to her and she said she definitely found it to be true that CS is almost as expensive as TS...and with CS you don't get a bottomless drink like you do with TS, which she finds to be really important in the middle of the hot florida day...
Don't kid yourself. Paying for the Disney Dining Plan is EXACTLY like paying out of pocket for meals. Unless you want to spend money on the highest priced foods at every meal, I don't think people realize they are barely breaking even.

The only time I think DDP makes sense is if you have a couple kids 3-9 years old and do mainly one credit character meals. As soon as a kid turns 10, the value of the DDP goes downhill.
__________________
BriarRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts
 
DisneyDaddy-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North of Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie

Don't kid yourself. Paying for the Disney Dining Plan is EXACTLY like paying out of pocket for meals. Unless you want to spend money on the highest priced foods at every meal, I don't think people realize they are barely breaking even.

The only time I think DDP makes sense is if you have a couple kids 3-9 years old and do mainly one credit character meals. As soon as a kid turns 10, the value of the DDP goes downhill.
Completely agree, we have two boys 10 & 12, we are here now and took the room only discount over the "free" dining. We just don't eat as much food that is on the plan. We have found that if we have breakfast in our room and then a late lunch, then we have some snack type stuff later on. We paid out of pocket at Tusker house because we enjoy the food there, but since they made it a character lunch as well, the price has gone up and the "value" for us is just not there anymore.
__________________
Me DW DS15 DS12

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
,OCT 14 POR
DisneyDaddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
simmons_m
Mouseketeer
 
simmons_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 414

I will not be able to call in, but i do have a couple of thoughts for consideration.
- Maybe Disney is raising the prices of counter service and snacks to create a higher perceived value associated with the Dinning Planning?

- I'd like to see them provide the TIW discount at the counter service restaurants.

- What would the team suggest as an alternative to Bistro de Paris during food and wine? Our reservations were moved to le chefs and we are thinking Artist Point may be a better option.

Thanks,
Mike
__________________

Last edited by simmons_m; 08-26-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Typos
simmons_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 16,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
Don't kid yourself. Paying for the Disney Dining Plan is EXACTLY like paying out of pocket for meals. Unless you want to spend money on the highest priced foods at every meal, I don't think people realize they are barely breaking even.

The only time I think DDP makes sense is if you have a couple kids 3-9 years old and do mainly one credit character meals. As soon as a kid turns 10, the value of the DDP goes downhill.
actually the dining plan is more expensive than paying out of pocket - but the point is, you don't feel it.....
at least i'm that way...every time i have to pull out $4 for a frozen coke or $12 for a burger it drives me insane...
if on the other hand, it's just a 'credit', i don't are what the price is up on the menu...

last year i paid for the dining plan for all 6 of us and rest assured that was EXPENSIVE, but i know it was worth it because otherwise my vacation would have been ruined every time i paid out of pocket for something that i thought was way overpriced..

i'm not sure i'm explaining what i mean...
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2 miles north of the Castle!
Posts: 21,914

I'm curious about the general take on LeCellier being raised from 1TS to 2TS. I know they did this for dinner a year ago and are now (2013) going to do this for lunch as well. The question is; did they improve the meal or just raise the price?
__________________
OKW Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran
 
WorldWacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I'm curious about the general take on LeCellier being raised from 1TS to 2TS. I know they did this for dinner a year ago and are now (2013) going to do this for lunch as well. The question is; did they improve the meal or just raise the price?
That's a good question considering the general advice in the community when the table service credits were changed was to go to lunch instead to get a good value.
__________________
WorldWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
Tinkershelly
DisneyWorld trip winner!
Holy moley, there are soooo many items!
 
Tinkershelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 571

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
actually the dining plan is more expensive than paying out of pocket - but the point is, you don't feel it.....
at least i'm that way...every time i have to pull out $4 for a frozen coke or $12 for a burger it drives me insane...
if on the other hand, it's just a 'credit', i don't are what the price is up on the menu...

last year i paid for the dining plan for all 6 of us and rest assured that was EXPENSIVE, but i know it was worth it because otherwise my vacation would have been ruined every time i paid out of pocket for something that i thought was way overpriced..

i'm not sure i'm explaining what i mean...
I completely agree with you! There is something to be said for paying for the dining plan way in advance, long before you arrive at WDW. Then you are free to order what you want without looking at the prices and associating that with actual money. It's a mind trick but it does allow some kind of freedom while on vacation. And that is worth something!

We are on the free dining promotion for our trip next month. Even though we are paying rack rates for our room we still feel like we are making out like bandits. If we got a discounted room and paid out of pocket for meals we MIGHT save money but I wouldn't feel free to order whatever I wanted on the menu, I'd still order by price not by preference.
__________________
Tinkershelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 16,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkershelly

I completely agree with you! There is something to be said for paying for the dining plan way in advance, long before you arrive at WDW. Then you are free to order what you want without looking at the prices and associating that with actual money. It's a mind trick but it does allow some kind of freedom while on vacation. And that is worth something!

We are on the free dining promotion for our trip next month. Even though we are paying rack rates for our room we still feel like we are making out like bandits. If we got a discounted room and paid out of pocket for meals we MIGHT save money but I wouldn't feel free to order whatever I wanted on the menu, I'd still order by price not by preference.
You ARE making out like bandits
Paying for the dining plan is a fortune!!!!!
But it's worth it to me
I wish I could get free dining but the dates never work out for me

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.