Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #121
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

DH had been suffering from a head cold for the last few days so on Sunday we went looking for a Walgreens to stock up on cold and flu tablets. Isn't it fun trying to find familiar medications overseas! Not! In the end we had to ask the pharmacist because we were hoping to get something like Original formula Codral ( the one with paracetamol, codeine and pseudo ephedrine ) once we established that they call paracetamol, acetominaphen. And that we couldn't get anything with codeine in it unless we had a prescription...we finally left the store with something to dry up DHs nose.

...and then made our way across town to Graceland....and so did everybody else! We may have avoided queues in Disney World but we struck them with a vengeance here. We queued for 25 minutes to buy tickets, then another 15 minutes in the shuttle bus queue and them we shuffled our way around the mansion in one long slow moving queue. If this is the slow season I would hate to visit Graceland in the summer!

Graceland exterior

The house is not particularly large but the interior decor is......well.....interesting! It's the height of 1970s too-much-money and not-enough-taste decor. The jungle room with its green carpet on the floor, walls and ceiling; and it's heavily carved timber furniture with fur upholstery is particularly ...errr....attractive (?)"

The Jungle room at Graceland

After the house we had lunch at one of the cafes on the premises, then visited the Automobile museum and saw his many fancy cars including the famous pink Cadillac. Finally we toured his two private jets, where the interiors were designed according to his specifications. Lots of blue suede and gold plated seat belts!

The crowds were still streaming in as we left and drove downtown to The National Civil Rights museum. The first thing you see is the hotel where Martin Luther king was assassinated. The exterior of the hotel has been kept exactly as it was, including the two cars parked in the car park below the balcony where he was standing when he was shot. The interior has been gutted and added on to and now houses an excellent museum about the struggle for civil rights in the south.

Civil Rights Museum

By now it was nearly 3 so we decided to drive to The Peabody hotel and checkin. The Peabody is a grand old dame of a hotel with a fabulous lobby hung with chandeliers, furnished with plushy lounges and decorated with huge bowls of flowers. But the main centerpiece of the lobby is a huge travertine marble fountain....with ducks swimming in it! The ducks are trained to march down a red carpet to and from the fountain twice a day, and the March of the Peabody Ducks is now one of the premier sights in Memphis. When we went down at 4.30 to find a spot the lobby was packed with people!

Peabody hotel lobby

For dinner we walked two blocks down to Beale street which is famous for its Blues clubs. We ate at BB Kings Blues Club and enjoyed an ok dinner and some great music.

Next day, we drove the Delta Blues Highway US 61 , the Blues Trail.

We drove past miles and miles of cotton plantations and Not long after we left Memphis we saw some massive thunderheads building up ahead of us and we were treated to some spectacular lightning and thunder. I was scanning the sky wondering if we were likely to see a twister.

Storm clouds over cotton fields

The sun was out by the time we reached Vicksburg where we drove into the huge Vicksburg National Military Memorial Park which is located on the site of one of the most crucial and bloody battlegrounds of the Civil War. It's managed by the National Park service and is now a really lovely green park.

Vicksburg Civil War park

We finally pulled into Natchez at about 4.30pm. We passed a couple of beautiful antebellum mansions ...

before we drove into the driveway of Twin Oaks B&B . The owner took us through to the back of the house where we went through the account location details. The main home is gorgeous, high ceiling and magnificent proportions, dating from around 1830. The B& B rooms are in the converted slave quarters.

Mississippi river at Natchez

We let ourselves in and started unpacking and I was tickled to discover an off the shoulder , southern belle dress hanging in the wardobe. It was even green and white, reminiscent of the dress that Scarlett Ohara wears in the opening scenes of Gone with the Wind. I had to try it on, of course! Luckily the pic doesn't show the rear view, the dress was made for a skinnier southern belle than me- it didn't do up at the back!

You have a good day now, y'all!

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #122
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

love the river boat -- reminded me of Tiana's in Princess and the Frog.

Love the pic of you in the dress
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #123
Andona

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Fantastic trip, Andona.

Thanks for sharing Savannah and Atlanta with us. I love the rear-view of Vulcan. Does the full-frontal view match the butt...er...back?
unfortunately (?) he was wearing a miners apron that covered his front...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaggiamo View Post
Great upgrade! Congratulations on your anniversary.

What did you think of the Savannah area? Would 5 nights be too long to check it out, as well as combining another 6 nights in Charleston?
5 nights in Svannah would have been too long for us. There are several old homes to visit etc but my DS would have been bored witless after the first couple Hitlon Head And Tybee islands ate nearby though and it could be nice to spend a couple of days there maybe? Sorry, we didn't get to Charleston so I can't offer any suggestions there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabecs View Post
Another great update Savannah sounds perfect, and I love that the cast of the Dis is featuring in your touring thoughts
Lol! The DIS is never far from my thoughts.

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #124
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer

Love your update! The march of the Peabody ducks sounds interesting! I adore the antebellum mansion and the photo of you as a grand southern belle is awesome! Keep enjoying, sounds like an amazing road trip
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #125
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

What a great update!

Agree about the interior of Graceland which is really a shame because the outside looks gorgeous! I can't believe it was so crowded!

How do you train ducks to walk in and out of a hotel on a red carpet Would love to see that

Seems like you got a good dose of US history in there too. And I would also be freaking out about those storm clouds turning into a twister Glad to see it cleared up for you!

The B&B looks amazing, and how cool that they had a southern belle dress you could try on! You look really pretty in it, even if you couldn't do the back up Love the paddle steamer too - will definitely have to get to MI sometime!

Hope your DH is feeling better. Sux you couldn't get anything with Codeine without a prescription - will have to make sure I remember to take my own cold and flu tablets whenever I go over there from now on!

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & VRBO) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #126
coco392
Mouseketeer

I always think its funny when people say graceland is horrible because its tacky. if course. it's tacky. Elvis died in the70's.
coco392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #127
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

The duck march sounds intriguing. Did they perform it for you?
Love the photo of you in the gown, you look beautiful, very much the part
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Jan 2015 - First trip to WDW planned!
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #128
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Gracelands exterior is gorgeous. Those storm clouds are crazy! You look like a real southern belle in that dress!
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #129
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Thanks for another great update Andona and lovely to see a photo of you, the Southern Belle
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #130
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

That's a gorgeous southern belle you make, Andona.
(Vulcan may have been wearing an apron in the front....but I was wondering if you were wearing an apron in the ...back. )

That's one heck of a road trip you're on. I'm completely hanging on here waiting for your next update. Thanks for sharing.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #131
JessNewbs
Mouseketeer

Yay! Such wonderful pictures and stories so far! Can't wait until you get to New Orleans, it is our first stop for our trip next year and would love some tips and must sees!! Looks like you are having a wonderful time!

JessNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #132
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran

Gosh you guys are covering a lot of ground...good pics of the kings shack. I am sure it was worth the wait.
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #133
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Graceland interiors - hmmm a bit dodgy? I can't wait to see it one day, I hope it isn't a disappoint when I finally get there.

Those storm clouds look crazy cool and very very scary. I would've been freaking out.

Love the antebellum house (I'm embarrassed to say I had to look that word up ) and you in that fine southern belle get up was a lovely surprise.

PIO - I too was wondering about the front of that statue. We are naughty

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #134
viaggiamo
Mouseketeer

Cool update, looks like you're having fun.

Love the dress!
viaggiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #135
Andona

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
What a great update!

Agree about the interior of Graceland which is really a shame because the outside looks gorgeous! I can't believe it was so crowded!

Hope your DH is feeling better. Sux you couldn't get anything with Codeine without a prescription - will have to make sure I remember to take my own cold and flu tablets whenever I go over there from now on!
The crowds at Graceland were a shock to us too! It's amazing what a following Elvis has so many years after he dies. I guess it's the same with all the greats!

Thanks also for your kind thoughts re my DH, he is feeling a lot better now and luckily he hasn't shared his cold with me or DS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco392 View Post
I always think its funny when people say graceland is horrible because its tacky. if course. it's tacky. Elvis died in the70's.
lOL, I know but I was a teenager in the 70's and I don't know anyone that had carpet on their walls and ceilings Graceland is 70s taste gone waaaay overboard. the outside is just lovely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post

PIO - I too was wondering about the front of that statue. We are naughty
when I took that photo I was thinking, "the DIS gals will love this! "

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessNewbs View Post
Yay! Such wonderful pictures and stories so far! Can't wait until you get to New Orleans, it is our first stop for our trip next year and would love some tips and must sees!! Looks like you are having a wonderful time!
Jess, you are going to love New Orleans. I'm just about to post my update, we thought it was an amazing city, so different to anything else we have seen in the USA . Just loved it.

Andona

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: