Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

hey

cant wait to hear all about it while waiting for the flight home.....so make sure you have your photos on your laptop...

can you believe its only 18 sleeps to go????
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #17
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessNewbs View Post
Wow! Huge trip, we are heading to New Orleans for part of our trip so can't wait to hear about your experiences/advice there. I take my hat off to you being in the car that long, 2 hrs sends me crazy
Jess, Ithink New Orleans will be a highlight for us! The three of us might bit a bit stir-crazy after 3+ weeks in a car together too

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
Wow! What a great itinerary. This trip is very very close to the road trip that we're planning in Dec 2013 so I'm paying close attention. Very very keen to read along and learn more about the various stops. We have about 3.5 weeks after WDW and our cruise for our driving segment. We're tossing up between doing the south western states in more detail, or including Texas, or driving all the way across to the west coast. We also share the dream of one day visiting all 50 states!
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Some of my friends think that is crazy. We tossed up several alternatives for this trip too. One of them was a huge loop through the Southwest to see all the parts we haven't yet seen. So many places to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
cant wait to hear all about it while waiting for the flight home.....so make sure you have your photos on your laptop...

can you believe its only 18 sleeps to go????
It's so close now it's getting a little scary! Karen, you may not want to see us at the airport - after 3 + weeks stuck in a car together we could be "that family" who eveyone avoids...

Andona
Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Wow Andona, that sounds like an amazing trip. I will love reading along as you go!! (As I count down to my trip..!!)
Thanks for sharing your plans - and safe travels!

hjd0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Sounds like such an amazing fun adventure! I can't wait to travel along with your trip report

These boards are very dangerous - every time someone plans a new trip I add somewhere to my wish list!

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Roswell is now on my to do list...

17 more sleeps
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabecs View Post
Sounds like such an amazing fun adventure! I can't wait to travel along with your trip report

These boards are very dangerous - every time someone plans a new trip I add somewhere to my wish list!
Hahaha, this is exactly what I thought Dabecs

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
Andona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl

Hahaha, this is exactly what I thought Dabecs
Well, thanks to you Shuttergirl I now have Quebec on my list! That list is getting longer every day...

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 08-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andona View Post
Well, thanks to you Shuttergirl I now have Quebec on my list! That list is getting longer every day...

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Well I'll trade you a Quebec for:-

Tombstone
Savannah
New Orleans
Roswell

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 08-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #24
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Andona - I just thought I should let you know how your travel plans have impacted our hosue . I was telling my husband about your roadtrip itinerary and mentioned a few of the places you were planning on visiting. We have both decided we would absolutely love to do a similar road trip. Perhaps coast to coast like you with the details to be decided but so many of the places you listed would be on our list.

We would do this after the kids are off our hands, just the 2 of us. We think it would be a grand adventure, so many cool things to see. We think we'd love to add some really quirky "tourist spots" in for a giggle too.

I think perhaps this trip could be something we start planning as a "whew, the kids are off our hands" kind of holiday. We've got a few years yet but I think this would be something really nice to look forward to.

So, thanks Andona

Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 AM   #25
Andona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Andona - I just thought I should let you know how your travel plans have impacted our hosue . I was telling my husband about your roadtrip itinerary and mentioned a few of the places you were planning on visiting. We have both decided we would absolutely love to do a similar road trip. Perhaps coast to coast like you with the details to be decided but so many of the places you listed would be on our list.

We would do this after the kids are off our hands, just the 2 of us. We think it would be a grand adventure, so many cool things to see. We think we'd love to add some really quirky "tourist spots" in for a giggle too.
Hey, happy to be of service!!

If you're interested in quirky America you MUST check out this website - it is one of our major resources and is soooo good for a laugh and those "only in America!" comments http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

I've also purchased a couple of issues of American Road Magazine - http://www.americanroadmagazine.com/ I follow them on Twitter too and the things they come up with just make my bucket list longer and longer .

We're also looking forward to the time that we can travel without Ds - he's great company and we love him to bits - but it will be a lot cheaper when we don't have to feed him any more!!

Andona
Old 08-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #26
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Oooooh thanks for those links. Can't wait to check them out.

I think it will be bittersweet once the kids are no longer travelling with us. I don't cope well with the kids growing up and becoming more independent etc. I wish they were still my little babies.

At the same time, I think it's important to also remember there will come a time when we will go back to being a couple once the kids are living their own wonderful lives and if I have something amazing like this to look forward to at the beginning of a new phase in our lives, I think it will make the transition easier.

By the time this trip comes around, using those websites you've shared, our "must do" list will be ridiculously long

Old 09-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #27
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

This trip sounds awesome. The Cooper's will be following along for this one for sure. Hope you take some video of this trip. What sort of Budget do you set for the Driving part not including the airfares?

2001 WDW ( POP century )
2013 WDW ( Boardwalk, AKL ) Disneyland Anaheim
2014 Oct, Disneyland Anaheim in the planning
Tara2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #28
Andona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2004 View Post
This trip sounds awesome. The Cooper's will be following along for this one for sure. Hope you take some video of this trip. What sort of Budget do you set for the Driving part not including the airfares?
Tara - we are going to have sooooo much video! My DH has bought one of those car mounted cameras that go on the dash to record the whole thing - I wouldn't exepect any one to sit through that - unless they wanted to be brain-dead at the end of it!

Just for the drive - We've prepaid $1100 for our rental car . It's a mid size SUV and we've rented it for 22 days. We will also have to pay a $500 one way charge when we collect it.
My DH has looked at the fuel economy figures for our type of car and checked out the average petrol prices along our route - he's budgeted about $700 for petrol.

We estimate our total budget for the trip to be about $16,000 to $18,000, that includes everything (accommodation, food, sightseeing costs etc etc) including our airfares of $4,800. We've booked a mix of accommodation - a few places we're going upmarket and paying extra ( WDW, Key West, Memphis, Las Vegas) but the rest of our hotels are mid range - Holiday Inns, Hampton Inns etc. That budget includes food , we tend to eat at the family chain restaurants like Applebees, Olive Garden etc for dinner, most of the hotels have free breakfast and we've paid for the Standard Disney dining plan at WDW.

We don't do a huge amount of shopping on our trips other than a few souvenirs and maybe the odd pair of shoes, sunglasses, jeans etc and gifts for people. My boys don't like to shop much so I don't really get the chance to hit the Outlet centres and go crazy

Hope that helps!

Andona
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #29
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran

Wow very inspirational trip you have planned. Can't wait to read your TR.
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #30
Andona

Byeeeeee!!!

We'll be heading off tomorrow and I don't know if I'll get the chance to check into the DIS again SO I just wanted to say Bye-Bye and THANKS for all the suggestions and chit-chat that make planning a big trip SO much fun

I was monitoring Karen's flights this afternoon as she has the same flights as us, a day earlier. We both have a tightish connection in Auckland and I was worried for her when I saw her Sydney-Auckland flight was delayed...BUT I'm pretty sure they got there in time. She won't have had much time to stretch her legs though.

Shuttergirl, you should see my packing - it's a Tetris puzzle of Eagle Creek packing folders and cubes - so pretty

Anyway - have fun at home (or on your trip - for the rest of the September crowd) , I'll catch you on the flip side ( I hope!)

Andona

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: