Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Perhaps within their fleet of 747's they don't know which plane they are using. Each plane has a different configuration...meaning one 747 may have more seats than another...so maybe thats it.

But I get it. I like to assign my seats early!
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
with DH being a scared passenger it would freak him out being on his own with one of the kids
This is EXACTLY what happened to us when we come back July 2010. We flew back indirect via New York and we were flying the international leg with VA. I did online check in from our Disney hotel and found that they separated the 4 of us into 2 x 2 with both pairs of seats being ROWS apart

By the time we'd flown from MCO to JFK and managed to get to the VA check in desk the counter crew lady not only couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it she was also very rude and couldn't see that there was any problem. She refused to understand that to me putting my 2 children together wasn't an appropriate option but neither was having 1 of the boys sit my my husband as he is a shocking and terrified airline passenger and god forbid there was a problem there would be absolutely no way he would be able to deal with it or cope

Anyway I spent to entire flight walking back and forth between the 2 lots of seats and then wrote a very strongly worked letter to VA when I got home .......... their reply left a me very, very disappointed with their customer service in as much as all they said was their usual " by pre requesting your seat allocation we do not guarantee those seats" etc etc etc

Thank goodness the boys are both very good flyers and now they are old enough to sit on their own so if it happens on this trip as we've not been able to request any seats it wont be a problem.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Reb101
Earning My Ears

we pre booked ours but not sure if we have got them seats as there refurbishing the plane we are going on

Reb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
KayTom
Mouseketeer

I'm a bit miffed about this, but our trip isn't until January, so you never know.

When i enquired about it, i had a very quick email with the following response;

"I'm sorry to inform you that, you'll not be able to pre-request seats in advance reason being, Virgin Atlantic are in the process of changing their seat assignment process to make improvements for the future. Due to these changes, anyone travelling after 1st November 2012, in any class, will not be able to pre assign seats.

Seats will only be allocated either by using the on line check in facility 24 hours prior to departure or at check in on the day of travel.

If you are travelling after 1st November and have already pre assigned your seat, this request will remain in place, but it won’t be possible to make any changes. Please note that these seats aren't guaranteed in the event of a change of aircraft.

If you are travelling with children, rest assured that Virgin Atlantic work hard to ensure that you are all seated together. However, as a minimum, a child will always be seated with one parent or guardian.

If you wish to do the online check in, you can certainly do that anytime between 24 - 2hrs before the scheduled departure of the flight
"

However, although i would prefer to be sitting either on our own or with one of us in an aisle seat, i'll be happy just as long as we're sitting together. I can't imagine sitting on your own for such a long flight! As well as general comfort and talking, we tend to take up eachother's space and lean if we're sleepy, etc.

Fingers crossed that they re-introduce it once the planes are all changed.

On the bright side, my cousin had the new plane on her flight over recently and said how fantastic it was. Poor thing had the old plane and a lack of staff on the way back though so that was a bit of a let down for her xx
Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #20
TinkerbellW
Mouseketeer

It looks like the only option is to keep logging in to 'manage my flight' after Nov 1st and see if Virgin are opening the seat allocation once the new system is in place. As someone who has tried to check in online on 2 previous trips to no avail (problems with my youngest son's passport), seat assignment by this method also isn't going to happen
January 2005 'Last family trip' - Pop Century May 2007 '1st single parent trip' - Pop CenturyJuly 2010 'My 40th Birthday'- All Star Sports April 2012 'Graduation' - Pop Century July 2013 'Onwards and upwards' - Art Of Animation
July 2015 'We made it back' - Port Orleans French Quarter

TinkerbellW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #21
Hobbes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellW View Post
It looks like the only option is to keep logging in to 'manage my flight' after Nov 1st and see if Virgin are opening the seat allocation once the new system is in place. As someone who has tried to check in online on 2 previous trips to no avail (problems with my youngest son's passport), seat assignment by this method also isn't going to happen
Have you considered leaving your youngest son at home? I find kids are so ungrateful these days, he would appreciate future holidays if you left him at home for once....
2007 Introducing my DBf to the World-Pop 2010 DBf's birthday at Pop and we got engaged
2011 Our Disneymoon-me and Snorky at POFQ 2013 Our 2nd anniversary ASMu
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
TinkerbellW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Have you considered leaving your youngest son at home? I find kids are so ungrateful these days, he would appreciate future holidays if you left him at home for once....
Is that so that you can come with us instead Mrs Hobbes -Snorkey?????
January 2005 'Last family trip' - Pop Century May 2007 '1st single parent trip' - Pop CenturyJuly 2010 'My 40th Birthday'- All Star Sports April 2012 'Graduation' - Pop Century July 2013 'Onwards and upwards' - Art Of Animation
July 2015 'We made it back' - Port Orleans French Quarter

TinkerbellW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
Grumpy John
DIS Veteran

I actually find some of the replies on this thread really sad and quite pathetic.

The 'I am going to stamp my feet if I dont get what I want' attitude really annoys me.

At the end of the day you do not pre book seats with Virgin it is only a request. A REQUEST!! Which means it can be changed at short notice.

As for saying that it will be the last time people use Virgin. Great! More choice for us. We always fly Virgin and have nothing but praise for the airline and staff.

Some people really do need to get a life. There are far more important things to worry about in this world.

And as for wanting to take up 3 window seats for one family. That is plain selfish IMHO!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #24
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellW View Post
We had the same, but that said, we were always seated together in any event and ended up with good seats.

Just to bring a reality check, you can always fly BA instead and pay £28 per person, per sector of your journey, to pre book your seats. I am not rushing over to try fly VA, but not because of seating requests. It's plain and simple for me - they have never beat my best quote so I've gone with the best offer.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Have you tried again? just heard they have started allowing pre-booking again for some flights. Might be worth trying.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

Sadly not for me unfortunately ...... still on the up side at least this will mean I will have to get my a**e into gear and do the online check in EXACTLY 24 hours beforehand
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #27
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

They are now allowing bookings inside 90 days excluding PE flights ex LGW/MAN/GLW

http://virginatlantic.custhelp.com/a...detail/a_id/74

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #28
rex008
Mouseketeer

Great news - my wife was really worrying about our return on 3/11 - she's a fairly nervous flyer, was worried about being split up, and didn't want to rely on checkin requests.

Yes, I understand they can still be changed, but she doesn't need to know that . Of course she might read this. Hello dear! Don't worry, sure it'll be fine!

Funnily enough, I'd booked these flights on day 1 back in December, requested the seats then, and the ones I requested were still allocated when I checked just now. Goodness knows what they're doing to their software that's taken so long, but at least they managed to migrate data across.
rex008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #29
rex008
Mouseketeer

Funnily enough I've just had both a text and an email from them telling me I can now book my seats!
rex008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #30
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

I tried last night but no joy - just got the text and could get back the seats we booked last year yippee.

To the poster who thought this was an insignificant problem - well it takes all sorts and clearly what is a deal breaker for me is not a huge problem for you. When I book I assume the terms and conditions of my booking will hold good. If they don't then next time I spend my money I look elsewhere. Glad you are happy with Virgin.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: