Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #61
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

We hemmed and hawed about going this year but did not because a) WL was under room rehab and b) because of such, the offered discount was only 5%.

Other deluxe resorts were discounted at least 25%, making those usually much more $$ resorts very attractive to those who don't have a strong liking to the WL. No thanks.... We scheduled our trip for next summer when the discounts 'should' be more even across the board.

Additionally, Even if all prices were even across the board, I would not go if the resort I really wanted to stay at was not available. I would wait.

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #62
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

If budget doesn't permit us to stay on-site, then I'd rather stay off-site so I can enjoy the Disney parks. I'd rather spend sometime with Mickey and friends than not go at all because I can't afford deluxe resort. No matter where we stay, we will have a magical time.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #63
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

I wouldn't stay at a value for more than a night (and even then, if there's anyway I could swing at least a moderate I would). I would put off the trip until I could afford the hotel I wanted.

My cousin wants to plan a trip with me for next August. I offered to pay the difference between a value and a moderate for the group of us so I can truly enjoy my trip.

I think everyone has their "thing" that they would spurlge on, and WDW hotels are the one thing for me. I wouldn't consider paying more than $25 for a purse or $30-$40 for a pair of shoes but I just blew $400 on a single night at the Polynesian before our cruise even though I could have booked a value for about 1/4 that amount.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #64
wdisneyaholic
DIS Veteran

I thought this was a great topic. My take is, we go on vacation once a year to Disney and for the last few years we have stayed at the YC. Except for one stay at POR Riverside in order for us to bring my MIL. We had a terrible time there. Had stayed there multiple times before that. We can only travel in the busy summer months. It was so crowded we could not swim in the main pool and the food court was filled with tour groups. We pretty much have just decided we only want to stay at YC. We plan a year out and save for it. We decided next year to stay CL and cut back on our tickets. Our kids enjoy spending time at the resort more than the parks anyway.

I get that some people think the hotel is just a place to sleep but we love spending time at the resort and the boardwalk area. To each their own. I guess you just need to decided what you want from your trips. For us, after 12+ trips, we get a little tired of the parks.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #65
goodferry
DIS Veteran

We are in the parks from open until after lunch for two out of every three days, in the evenings we go for a nice dinner somewhere and sometimes for an attraction or two or fireworks, but we definitely take advantage of the resort amenities. For me I would rather skip the trip if we can't stay where we want.
We did stay one night in Pop before a DVC stay and we weren't fans, DH and I trying to share a double bed was not my idea of a vacation
Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #66
monkeyjuce
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change!

I usually say if I am not going to stay on property it isnt worth the trip. I know kinda snobby right? This year I found a great deal on a 2br villa on disney property but not disney owned (Wyndham Bonnet Creek) so I decided to take the risk. I started to panic about 3 months before our trip (in Nov. 2012) and booked a two night stay before my week long villa trip at the POR. I am soooo happy that I am at least going to experience a little bit of magic. I wish the WDW portion of the trip was at the end of the stay but it didnt work out that way. But tht way if I didnt like my stay off site I would have that to look forward to. I hope I love Bonnet Creek because that would change the way I vacation! I could afford to go more often.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #67
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

We enjoy the resorts more than the parks so for us it wouldn't be a Disney vacation if we weren't on property. We are going with family in a few years and renting a house. We consider than "an Orlando vacation where we happen to go to Disney" rather than a Disney vacation. Maybe that makes us extra snobby, I don't know. But for me, the Disney resorts are everything and there's no comparison.

So yes, we would still go if we couldn't afford what we wanted or if circumstances dictate a different choice (such as having a group of 18 like we will). But we would vacation very differently. Sea World. Universal. Space Center. Not all Disney. So it would change the vacation a lot to where I wouldn't consider it a Disney vacation at all!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #68
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

If I couldn't afford a deluxe, I'd gladly stay at a mod (CSR or POR), or do Swan and Dolphin. But if I couldn't afford a mod, I wouldn't do value. I'd wait until I could afford one.

If I couldn't afford the mod, then I'm guessing I'd be on a really tight budget, and I don't enjoy a WDW vaca if I'm worrying about the wallet during the trip. Plus, the values just don't work for my family (room size, bed size, no sit down dining, etc...)
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #69
Sparrow624
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

If we cannot afford to stay where we want, we do not go. In fact, we are in that area right now and debating saving another year or 2 or taking a much shorter than usual trip. We love the parks, but also love our "lounge around" time.

2003 - Off Site - 2 nights 3 days
2006 - Grand Floridian 8 nights 9 days (Honeymoon)
2009 - Boardwalk - 3 nights 4 days
2011 - Grand Floridian - 7 nights 8 days (5 year Anniversary)
Sparrow624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #70
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

I would not stay at a value but I would stay at a MOD...

But renting DVC points allows me the MOD pricing at a Deluxe resort..

I make my schedule around deals to afford the best for less
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #71
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

This was the debate we were having recently as a family. I wanted to go back sooner than later but also wanted to stay in a deluxe. Could not afford it unless I waited another year. Well we ended up just choosing to go to POR which in my opinion is gorgeous anyways and is the top mod. resort. (boat to DTD, beautiful grounds and great food court). We are going for Christmas and am planning to do a resort holiday tour of the deluxe to see their Xmas decor. I have a DS2 and DS5 that don't care about the resort anyway. The fun for them is the parks, attractions, restaurants and great nighttime shows. We will be spending limited time at the resort anyway so why not enjoy what you can right away, you never know what will happen in life! (job loss, sickness, money problems). I saved up just to take this trip and am proud we get to go once more and enjoy family time together. The deluxe resorts are a desire but not a necessity to our family enjoyment.
So excited about my upcoming trip!
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #72
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
We don't go to Disney often, once every 8 or 9 years. We travel different places. So when we go, we like to do it the way we want to. A longer trip, and staying deluxe. (just my preference, we spend time at the hotel)

In a discussion today, a friend was debating going now and staying at a hotel she really didn't want to, or save up and go next year and stay where she really wanted to. I told her how I would do it (save up).

Would you go now and settle for less in the hotel (in your mind) or save up for what you really wanted? (meaning you could want deluxe, moderate, value, off-site, whatever!)

If I couldn't afford the place I wanted (Beach/Yacht club or Polynesian!), I wouldn't go until I could afford it.
Our kids are grown, so now it's just the two of us coming from CA every few years. Our first stay without the children was at BC, and have stayed ther ever since... mainly because of the wonderful location.

Would probably not consider going unless we could afford to stay there, or another Epcot resort, since we're not the park hopping, go-go-go people we used to be. 'Riding the rides' has moved down the priority ladder to below 'walking to WS for dinner every night' hah!

We still love our time there!

Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #73
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

ABSOLUTELY

Life's too short
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #74
jm0925
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
You're right, it's about if you are a park or a hotel person.

For me, my warmest memories of Disney come from staying at the Poly with my family as a little girl back in the late 70's/early 80's(?). I still remember the smells, the sound of the waterfall in the lobby, the feel of the stone of the old slide in the pool, the water parade at night....then the Beach Club on the first trip with my boyfriend - the pool!, the bright pretty rooms, the walk to EPCOT. These are my Disney memories.

Don't get me wrong, I love the parks!! It's just those hotels have such a strong hold on my memory/heart that it's worth it to me to wait until I can stay there.
This is so true! I remember staying at the Contemporary with my family when I went to Disney as a child. I used to think it was so cool that the Monorail went through the resort. I would love to stay there again, but unfortunately that resort never falls into my vacation budget. :/

*October 2014 - Halloween with Mickey and Food and Wine at Epcot.*February 2014 - 3 Park Special! Love being a Florida Resident. *Mickey's Halloween Party - October 2013**Seaworld & Aquatica with a little Disney Mixed In - August 2013**Kicking off summer at the Magic Kingdom - May 2013*.*Mickey Christmas Party- December 2012 with a First Time Stay at the All-Star Sports Resort, *Epcot Food and Wine Festival - Nov 2011, *Mickey's Halloween Party - Oct 2011, * Lived in Florida all my life. Many other trips before these.
jm0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #75
robinb
DIS Veteran

I would go now, but then again I am not known for my impulse control . IMO, all the Disney resorts are nice and I don't even mind staying off-site. I just can't see saving up to stay at a "dream resort" when I can wedge in more trips staying at a less expensive place.

Honestly, I don't think the Deluxe resorts are "all that" anyway ... and I talked myself into buying DVC .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: