Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #46
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Oh man, Tastycakes. *drools* Kandy Kakes and Krimpets.
When I was in the Navy my folks shipped them to me all over the world in care packages, nothing says home like a butterscotch krimpet.
gwmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #47
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Success!

DD and I stopped at the Wawa near Sea World on our way back from our Fantasy cruise. Thanks to all the great advice here, we tried a hot turkey hoagie, cold turkey hoagie, frozen cream drink, Wawa tea and Butterscotch Tastycakes! They were great! The best quick service sandwiches we had all week! DD said she would definitely return when in the area...some of her co-workers drive to a Wawa to pickup food to take to work with them. She said she wouldn't go that route but she did enjoy everything...she really wants to try the soups! Thanks again for all the advice!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #48
PJMPA
Mouseketeer

I can't believe nobody mentioned the Wawa Soft Pretzels. Sitting in a basket at the registers, they come single or in a 2 pack. Not quite like a true Philly soft pretzel but they are good despite being carb laden and bood sugar altering!!
PJMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #49
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I like Wawa. They make good hoagies.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #50
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

No matter which way you turn out of my driveway, there is one in either direction (on the same road actually, but in 2 different towns). I do love being able to get a cup of fresh fruit when I get my sandwich; their brand of ice cream, coffee creamer, and iced tea are all great. I forgot about sweet cream cheese pretzel..soooo yummy!
Our local 7-11 is awful...we don't ever go there!

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #51
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

I miss Wawa. We moved from South Jersey to South Florida. If the Orlando Wawa's have real hard rolls, I'm sure I can talk DH into a road trip just to go to Wawa.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #52
Destructsean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMPA View Post
I can't believe nobody mentioned the Wawa Soft Pretzels. Sitting in a basket at the registers, they come single or in a 2 pack. Not quite like a true Philly soft pretzel but they are good despite being carb laden and bood sugar altering!!
Being someone who grew up with a wawa within walking distance at all times, I'll be the first to say..

Yuck. Just blech.

Those things are stale as soon as they hit the shelves, and usually as hard as a rock.

Wawa is always our "It's 2 am and everything else is closed" alternative. Everything you can get there you can get a better version of, right down the street. ESPECIALLY hoagies!

Except for tastykakes. They're spectacular wherever you buy them, and a major contributing factor to my childhood obesity.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #53
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I went to the WaWa across the street from Sea World and I think it's the best gas station/convenience store I've ever been to,the store was immaculate with tables outside so you could enjoy your order right there.Everything we ordered from subs to the cream cheese pretzel to the coffee was very good,the place was packed and aside from the latte which we had to wait a good while for everything else was quick.I have a feeling since the Florida stores are new the management and everything else is being handled much better than a store somewhere in the Northeast that's been there for 25 years.Going to that WaWa felt like an attraction as the place is being showcased on the news,on theme park podcasts,magazines and all over the place,I'm sure in 5-10 years the novelty will wear off but now Florida appears crazy for Wawa,they say they plan to open all over Florida,Tampa supposedly is the next market.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #54
daraddg
DIS Veteran

being from NJ and having spent some time in FL too, a WAWA is a vast improvement over convenience stores there and they keep adding more and more items to the menus, so they have hot sandwihces, salads,wraps, hoagies you can now get fresh made lattes and cappacinos at the deli not just the instant machine type...but it is still just a stop for gas and road snacks
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #55
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

We love their breakfast croissants, much better than any fast food breakfast sandwiches. We also like stopping in after a day at our theme park to make a milkshake for the ride home.

Wawa is somewhat new to our area, but it is comparable to 7-11. Granted, a way nicer place with way more to offer than 7-11.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #56
PAcpl
The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. -Walt Disney

Now that we are sharing our WaWa's with you, the least you can do is share a few Publix Markets with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMPA View Post
You said it. I don't think any Philadelphian would promote a WaWa pretzel.

September 2007 - Animal Kingdom Resort (First (adult) trip to Disney, HHN)
June 2008 - Boardwalk Villas (Our first trip home)
May 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort (Flower and Garden Festival)
October 2009 - Beach Club Villas (MNSSHP, HHN, Food&Wine Festival)
May 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
December 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (First Disney Christmas)
December 2011 - Boardwalk Villas (Disney Christmas)
May 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
October 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Food & Wine, HHN)
PAcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #57
Disneyandphilliesfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
Maybe I'm just being hometown loyal here, but Wawa is nothing like 7-11. Yes it is a convenience store but 7-11 feels like being at a truck stop to me (at least around here). I would never buy a sandwich from 7-11, but Wawa is known for the hoagies. The only thing better at 7-11 is the Slurpee vs. the Icee at Wawa.

Granted, Wawa of today is different than the Wawa that got me through college weekends.... But I would still pick Wawa.

OP, I suggest a hoagie and a bottle of Wawa iced tea.
Good point Wawa is not what it used to be years ago the sandwiches were way better 10 years ago.
Disneyandphilliesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #58
mikehn
DIS Veteran

Im willing to bet the Wawa in Orlando is vastly different than the Wawa's along the east coast. Just like the McDonalds in Orlando are much different than the McDs around my area. Everything from the menu to the decor is different.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #59
Lemonademouth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn
Im willing to bet the Wawa in Orlando is vastly different than the Wawa's along the east coast. Just like the McDonalds in Orlando are much different than the McDs around my area. Everything from the menu to the decor is different.
Not from what I could see on my visit. Not even all that much bigger than the many that are around Richmond Va.
Lemonademouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #60
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

We have WaWa's everywhere around here, I get lunch at the one down the street from my work frequently. Love them

My DH and I always commented that we should open a WaWa in FL just for the coffee! I can't believe how nasty convenience stores/gas stations are in other states. Here in PA, we have WaWa's, Sheetz, Turkey Hills, etc and most are very nice. We have very few icky gas stations, they have all pretty much closed up in favor of the mega pump station/convenience store options. And we have had WaWa for years and years and they are ALWAYS packed. It is crazy how much business they do!

DH works for a petroleum tanking company and they bid on the FL WaWa job. He said all the gas stations they do runs for in the area were very nervous about WaWa coming in.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is online now   Reply With Quote