Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
tgropp
DIS Veteran

My son went through the same thing but we had very understanding coaches (AA & AAA) when it came time to family vacations. There was never a problem. But as they got older (14-15) the coach did not want them missing hockey due to concerts, day trips etc as this was the age where they wanted to install discipline and teamwork. If there is a problem with your family vacation, shame on the coach and your citys hockey association.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
laura001
DIS Veteran
I had my birthday 242 days ago and I don't run like a duck, does that count??
I came in here to see what was wrong with the bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
Just needed to vent and figured my fellow Canuck Disney lovers would understand. Oldest DS will be playing his second year of travel hockey this year, but this time on the MD team where he will be one of the better players as opposed to one of the weaker ones. This means the coach does not want him to miss a tournament, and the WDW trip we have booked the last week of November may have to be cancelled, or at least shortened.

Personally, I don't think any sport should control your life for 9 months of the year and I am OK with him missing the tournament. He says he wants to go to Disney instead (there are 2 maybe 3 other tournaments in the year). But DH is harder to convince, and the coach has set out his expectations that these 9 year old kids will be there. Ugh!

We got POR for free dining, all of our ADR's our made, and non-refundable plane tickets purchased. Time to go search for alternatives, but I hope our original plan stays...

Thanks for letting me vent...
We too had a son that played AAA hockey (was MVP of the league a few years in a row) and I will tell you that never a year went by that we did not leave and take our vacation.

The coach always knew that we were going and it was just too darn bad. Hockey rules your life, but only if you LET it!

One year, we actually were away for try outs and came home on the last day. He went that day and still made the team. We never asked for special consideration and never expected it. They knew we weren't there and to tell you the truth, if he didn't make the team because we were away....too bad, he could play somewhere else.

Truth be known, your child in all probability isn't going to the NHL (even if they are the best) and to put HOCKEY ahead of your Family Time is just crazy (IMHO). The team will survive! Don't get me wrong, we never condoned our son missing for any other reason, he was committed to the team, but not at the expense of our family time.

Hockey parents are a different breed, I can remember some parents crying in the arena when their kids didn't make a team....how sad is that?
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
snowangel72
Mouseketeer

Wow Kath that is crazytown for a 9 year old. I am sorry but that's nuts! It's kid's hockey for heaven's sakes!!!! Hockey takes up our winter as well but I would never ever alter my Disney plans for it. Sorry, no way no day. They are only little once. They won't have any interest in vacationing with you in just a few years. People in this country are freakin hockey insane.

What will your DH say if your little guy comes down with bronchitis and can't play in the tourney anyway? Or stomach flu the day before the tourney? Guess he's missing it anyway huh?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
canadakath
Mouseketeer

Thanks all. We are going as planned and missing the tournie. I gave DS the choice to go for a shorter time and come back for the tournament or go for the whole trip. He chose the trip and I support him 100%. Hockey will be waiting for him when we get back!

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura001 View Post
We too had a son that played AAA hockey (was MVP of the league a few years in a row) and I will tell you that never a year went by that we did not leave and take our vacation.

The coach always knew that we were going and it was just too darn bad. Hockey rules your life, but only if you LET it!

One year, we actually were away for try outs and came home on the last day. He went that day and still made the team. We never asked for special consideration and never expected it. They knew we weren't there and to tell you the truth, if he didn't make the team because we were away....too bad, he could play somewhere else.

Truth be known, your child in all probability isn't going to the NHL (even if they are the best) and to put HOCKEY ahead of your Family Time is just crazy (IMHO). The team will survive! Don't get me wrong, we never condoned our son missing for any other reason, he was committed to the team, but not at the expense of our family time.

Hockey parents are a different breed, I can remember some parents crying in the arena when their kids didn't make a team....how sad is that?
How refreshing to hear it like this. I always get in trouble for saying that we take our children out of school for travel on the DIS. Some people cannot comprehend it.

Last year my daughter (and son) missed over 35 days of school. My daughter still graduated with high honours and was awarded athlete of the year. My son is still an honour student and athlete.

We did the same with our older child who is now 23. He survived, the school survived and the sports teams he was on survived.

Family is 1st. School 2nd (gasp!). Sports 3rd. Works for us.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #21
rjan67
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to say I feel your pain. I have 2 boys who play rep. Most coaches are understanding. This year my 9yr old has one who is not. We already have one boy who is away tomorrow on vacation (preplanned) and will miss our first game. It is clear he will be benched for the next game. I think it's ridiculous and I am waiting to see what happens when they return. My older son has his first game on Thanksgiving Sunday. We were planning to go to Kingston to celebrate with family. Well, I should say I and my 2 kids were, my dh and youngest son will be at a hockey tournament! I am really surprised as they usually leave Thanksgiving weekend alone. This same coach has made it clear that we are not to miss hockey during March break. This would have been a problem for us except I think we are going to Italy next summer with my youngest son for soccer! I also don't think we will make it that far so it's a moot point!

Hockey will rule your life, but we do enjoy it!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
FayeW
DIS Veteran

Our son is second year Midget, house league. The only thing I like about winter is that I get to watch my son play hockey. We are going to Orlando for 6 days in Feb and DH said "but what if they book a tournament that weekend?" Now, my husband is the conveynor, and DS's coach is our very good friend. I said "then tell Dave not to pick a tournament for that weekend. Better yet, let's invite them to come with us!"

Seriously, it's house league. We, as parents, decide at the first of the year which tournaments we want to participate in. Parents always let the coach know at the beginning of the season if there are any vacations scheduled so we can choose tournaments when most players are available.
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
Bonnie40
Sweet tomatoes, yum
Has lived in Guelph all her life

Quote:
Thanks all. We are going as planned and missing the tournie. I gave DS the choice to go for a shorter time and come back for the tournament or go for the whole trip. He chose the trip and I support him 100%. Hockey will be waiting for him when we get back!
Was following this thread....glad to hear you've decided to stick with your vacation plans.....

Bonnie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #24
photofreak
Camping & Disney!! The 2 best things together in one!!

Quote:
Glad to hear! I know it's a very hard choice and the level of committment required for Rep hockey is huge... I think most coaches if you tell them in advance and are honest with them, are understanding...
My daughter plays girls Peewee Rep and we're missing 2 weeks at the end of October... She sad to miss a few games but happy to have family fun time! <3
Jan/Feb 2010 Fort Wilderness Big Bear Path 1400 loop
Oct/Nov 2011 Fort Wilderness Palmetto Path 200 loop (took our besties for their 1st trip )
Oct/Nov 2012 Fort Wilderness Buffalo Bend 500 loop

Looking forward to 2013 Halloween at the Fort!!!
photofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
thehowells
Mouseketeer

I have to chip in here. There is no reason to miss a trip for hockey other than a selfish coach. I don't buy the scouts arguments people give for having their kids on the ice 20 hour a week, if your good nough h scouts come to you, and every chl team has open tryouts. Brandon Prust of the Canadians was not drafted, and walked onto the London knights

thehowells is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: