Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Is That a Firm "Maybe"? UPDATE 10/24 SURPRISES!

We're going back to Disney!

Cast of Characters:

*Me: Crystal (35)
*DH: Ben (33)
*DD4: Avery
*DD14months: Carsyn
*DMIL: "T" (We won't be sharing her age here.)

Celebrations:

*Carsyn's first trip
*Avery's 5th birthday, which will occur just before our trip
*Dr. Ben - DH received his PhD last May, a little late to celebrate I know, but we're gonna do it anyway

Where:

*Well...we don't know yet. Likely, Pop, but there's a possibility of DVC rental or upgrade to a mod in the event of discounts.

When:

March 17-23 (Spring Break!)

A little about us:

We went to WDW back in 2010 when Avery was 2. It was my first trip too, but DH has been a few times on HS trips. I absolutely loved seeing Avery have so much fun, and she was all about the fab five. This trip will definitely be more princess-focused. However, I am excited to see how Carsyn reacts to everything. She's much more active than Avery was at that age, so it should be interesting.

As I said in the celebrations section, we'll be celebrating Dr. Ben's long journey through graduate school. Our family has gone through some major transitions in the past two years, and we totally deserve a vacation. Especially me! As some of you who've kept up with me on FB and Twitter will know, DH has done a great deal of traveling in the past year leaving me at home with the girls. And since I elected to be a SAHM this past year, funds were tight. Our last proper vacation was the WDW trip in 2010.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you the reason for this trip title. It's not that great of a story really, but if you knew my DH, you'd find humor. He's very serious. Very. Serious. Our 2010 trip brought out silliness and smiles I'd never seen before, so I've been trying to get him to remember that ever since we got back. I often show him pictures from TRs I read and generally talk way too much about The Dis. He's made it pretty clear that he has no designs on going back anytime soon and that the obsession is ridiculous. HOWEVER, *I* made it crystal clear that we were definitely going somewhere for spring break this year. I asked him where he wanted to go, and he was very unhelpful. So...I did what any good Dis'er would do, I threw out some price quotes for WDW. The next day, I brought up vacation plans again, and he said, "Maybe it would just make the most sense to go to Disney." My first thought was, "Wait, did he just say that? I know he didn't just say let's go to Disney." So I asked, "Is that a firm maybe?" He rolled his eyes, but he didn't say no!

For the record, I still haven't gotten a 'yes, we're definitely going', but I warned him but good that I was *not* going back to WDW without ADRs made 180 days in advance. So, if he wants to screw around and wait, he'll be doing it with a fully booked reservation on his credit card. I'm just sayin'...

-------------

Last edited by firecracker725; 10-24-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Add material
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Pictures!

From our 2010 trip. I can't believe how little Avery was!

I'm in the process of uploading some more current photos of the girls, so I'll add those when they finish.

-------------
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Yay Crystal!!!! I'm so excited that you're getting a much deserved trip to Disney!!!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Good News!

So I just heard from Kristina at Small World Vacations on my AAA discount quote, and I'm pretty happy with what she had to say. The rate listed is $816 for a standard view at Pop for 5 nights, but the AAA discounted rate with tax is just over $730. Along with buying 6 day park hoppers from Undercover Tourist with the Mousesavers discount, that means we can save about $200 off of regular prices.

Considering we're going during peak season, I'm happy with that. Of course, I'm still hoping for a better discount, but DH says he's pretty sure we can do it! He gave me the O.K. to book it and start planning ADRs. He even promised to help with those decisions! Perhaps I should check to see if he's feeling well?

-------------

Last edited by firecracker725; 08-25-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
PoppyGirl
The kiddies come for the autographs but the mummies come for the captain!

Hi Crystal! Great start! What is your DH's PhD in? That's awesome! A great way to celebrate with a trip to WDW....and I have to say, he looked pretty smiley in the photos.

My DH is serious but cheesy with his sense of humor. Totally cheesy! I hope you can get a true "yes" pretty soon. You know....before it's time to make ADR's etc.
(POR) Jan 2007 (HoJo) June 2007 (CSR) Girlfriends Trip Jan 2008 (POP)/Wonder Cruise Mar 2009 (CSR) Mom/DS Trip June 2009 (DLH) Girlfriends' B-day Celebration Feb 2010 (DLH) DH B-day Celebration July 2010 (AKL) Christmas Miracle Trip December 2010 (Wyndham Bonnet Creek) Girls Only Mother Daughter February 2011 (POFQ) Mother Daughter February 2012 (AKL) Mother Daughter February 2013 (Grand Californian) Girls Days Out May 2013 (Yacht Club) Best Friends at Food & Wine October 2013 (Wilderness Lodge) Marvin & Abigail Mother Daughter January 2014

PoppyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Yay Crystal!!!! I'm so excited that you're getting a much deserved trip to Disney!!!

Amanda
Thanks! And I'm so jealous that you're there right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyGirl View Post
Hi Crystal! Great start! What is your DH's PhD in? That's awesome! A great way to celebrate with a trip to WDW....and I have to say, he looked pretty smiley in the photos.

My DH is serious but cheesy with his sense of humor. Totally cheesy! I hope you can get a true "yes" pretty soon. You know....before it's time to make ADR's etc.
Thanks for stopping in! DH's PhD is in mathematics, and he certainly was the smiley guy at WDW. He's pretty funny occasionally and has a deadpan delivery that I've learned to love. He and his best friend have these inside jokes that drive me nuts, but luckily for me I only have to deal with them together a few times a year.

-------------
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
JessiMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post

So I just heard from Kristina at Small World Vacations on my AAA discount quote, and I'm pretty happy with what she had to say. The rate listed is $816 for a standard view at Pop for 5 nights, but the AAA discounted rate with tax is just over $730. Along with buying 6 day park hoppers from Undercover Tourist with the Mousesavers discount, that means we can save about $200 off of regular prices.

Considering we're going during peak season, I'm happy with that. Of course, I'm still hoping for a better discount, but DH says he's pretty sure we can do it! He gave me the O.K. to book it and start planning ADRs. He even promised to help with those decisions! Perhaps I should check to see if he's feeling well?
Hooray!!! Congrats on the much needed vacation! Now you can have fun planning! Your DD is soooo cute!

Just back from a fabulous 8 days!
AKL ~ September 14-21, 2013
JessiMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiMommy View Post
Hooray!!! Congrats on the much needed vacation! Now you can have fun planning! Your DD is soooo cute!
Thanks! She's a lot bigger now, but she's still pretty cute. Her baby sister looks just like her!

-------------
Old 08-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

New Cast Member!

It looks like we'll be a party of 5 on this trip, because DMIL is coming along. She came with us in 2010 for Avery's first trip and was a huge help, especially when she sprung a fever on our 3rd day.

I'm a little uneasy about her decision to come along because I tend to be a little bit of a, shall we say, *cough* control-freak on my vacations, and she doesn't necessarily go with the flow. But overall, she helps more than she hinders, so I can't complain too much. Although I do reserve the right to vent here if things become too much.

-------------
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Is it better to ask for forgiveness or permission?

We're about to find out, because I JUST BOOKED 6 NIGHTS AT ART OF ANIMATION!!!!

-------------
Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
PoppyGirl

Quote:
Is it better to ask for forgiveness or permission?

We're about to find out, because I JUST BOOKED 6 NIGHTS AT ART OF ANIMATION!!!!
WHOO HOO!!!
And I have often heard that it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.

I really hope you like your resort! It looks so pretty! What type of room did you book? My DD actually has an opinion this time around and she likes the Little Mermaid rooms.
(POR) Jan 2007 (HoJo) June 2007 (CSR) Girlfriends Trip Jan 2008 (POP)/Wonder Cruise Mar 2009 (CSR) Mom/DS Trip June 2009 (DLH) Girlfriends' B-day Celebration Feb 2010 (DLH) DH B-day Celebration July 2010 (AKL) Christmas Miracle Trip December 2010 (Wyndham Bonnet Creek) Girls Only Mother Daughter February 2011 (POFQ) Mother Daughter February 2012 (AKL) Mother Daughter February 2013 (Grand Californian) Girls Days Out May 2013 (Yacht Club) Best Friends at Food & Wine October 2013 (Wilderness Lodge) Marvin & Abigail Mother Daughter January 2014

Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
WHOO HOO!!!
And I have often heard that it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.

I really hope you like your resort! It looks so pretty! What type of room did you book? My DD actually has an opinion this time around and she likes the Little Mermaid rooms.
I chose The Little Mermaid rooms. I'd have loved a family suite, but I need more space than that with MIL coming along.

-------------
Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

ADRs

Since this is Avery's big trip, we're most certainly doing CRT, likely for lunch. I also have big plans that involve dinner at Ohana and fireworks on Poly beach. Other than that, I'm kind of open. I'd love to have Le Cellier, but the cost is just too much.

Or is it?

MIL just responded to my email about any ADRs she wants and said that she'd be happy to sponsor some sit down meals in Epcot, and get this, she wants "that steakhouse in Canada".

Well then, I think I can most certainly make that happen.

So readers, I need recommendations. Tell me what's awesome and not to be missed.

-------------
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
PoppyGirl

Quote:
Since this is Avery's big trip, we're most certainly doing CRT, likely for lunch. I also have big plans that involve dinner at Ohana and fireworks on Poly beach. Other than that, I'm kind of open. I'd love to have Le Cellier, but the cost is just too much.

Or is it?

MIL just responded to my email about any ADRs she wants and said that she'd be happy to sponsor some sit down meals in Epcot, and get this, she wants "that steakhouse in Canada".

Well then, I think I can most certainly make that happen.

So readers, I need recommendations. Tell me what's awesome and not to be missed.
So....did you get the ADR at LeCellier? How nice of MIL to "sponsor" that!

I love the wild mushroom filet with risotto. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it. And the soup. Always the soup. GET. THE. SOUP. I remember before I tried it how my BFF kep talking aobut the cheese soup and how I kept thinking "cheese soup? gross!" But then I tried it. And for dessert....maple creme brulee. Last trip I was on a mission to try out the creme brulee anywhere it was offered. Delicious!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So....did you get the ADR at LeCellier? How nice of MIL to "sponsor" that!

I love the wild mushroom filet with risotto. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it. And the soup. Always the soup. GET. THE. SOUP. I remember before I tried it how my BFF kep talking aobut the cheese soup and how I kept thinking "cheese soup? gross!" But then I tried it. And for dessert....maple creme brulee. Last trip I was on a mission to try out the creme brulee anywhere it was offered. Delicious!
I'm not at my 180 day mark yet, but you best believe I'll be up at 5pm CDT with the computer raring to go on September 18th!

I've never had that filet, but I have drooled over pictures millions of times. I am so getting that!

-------------

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: