Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilipad
AoA has them. We used them. They were great. One thing... We chose to enable charging (for the adults only and not the 7 yr old - oy!). You could use them at the park restaurants, park and hotel gift shops, food court, arcade and even the hotel laundromat. You need to sign the back of the card. They will ask for photo ID if you haven't signed the card for your protection. Also, they will ask for photo id if you use a credit card.
That is the same standard as the standard KTTW card; RFID is just a different technology to enter your resort room.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
beast4beauty
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilipad View Post
I think the chances for theft, even with conventional credit cards (do they even have non rfid cards anymore?), is always there. One thing you can do, is wrap the card(s) in tinfoil or get a wallet with nickel impregnated nylon. My understanding is that someone actually having a reader and tricking the cards (since they are encrypted) is a remote possibility. I'm not sure if this has actually happened "in the wild" so to speak.
Actually there were some reports of it happening in airports in Europe a few years ago, but I can't say I've heard anything outside of academia/security conferences in recent times but I'm sure it does happen to some extent. Depending on the attack, the cards being encrypted may not actually matter

The RFID-blocking wallet is a good suggestion. There are plenty available you can buy online, however the protection may diminish over time if it's a soft wallet. Opening and closing it could eventually wear down the RFID blocking material. They do make hard-case wallets that may last longer.

You're absolutely right though, the risk for theft is always there. The credit card companies deal with this stuff every day. From some personal experience, they've come quite a long ways in helping our their customers and getting charges removed quickly. Just keep on top of your bank/credit statements and call as soon as you see anything suspicious.

Sorry for getting off-topic....
beast4beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl59 View Post
I don't know if this has been asked before or not? Does anyone out there know which resorts have the new RFID door locks already installed and which resorts are schedule to have them installed before the beginning of October?
Checked into BLT Saturday and they had them and we're currently at WL and they have them. We've also used them in the elevator to gain access to club level, at the health club doors and to gain entry into exterior resort doors. They've worked great so far and you don't even have to take them out of your clutch or thin wallet as they work right through them when you hold them up to the reader.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
Epcot Resort Area
Earning My Ears

The rooms at the Boardwalk Inn & Boardwalk Villas have them.
Epcot Resort Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

The following resorts have the RFID door locks now.

Art of Animation
Beach/Beach Villas
Yacht
Boardwalk Inn/Villas
Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower
Wilderness Lodge
Old Key West
Coronado Springs
Animal Kingdom Jambo/Jambo Villas/Kidani

(I believe, but am not sure, AKL and CSR are not complete yet, so some rooms may still have the magnetic stripe readers on the doors)

You still are issued a room key to enter your room, the only difference is that you don't have to insert the card in the lock, just touch the card to the lock.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #21
Library Minnie
Earning My Ears

What I wish is that there could be a better lock from the inside. The bizarre metal ball deadbolt is of no use to keep my daughter in the room. She is autistic and when I shower I live in fear that she's going to take a stroll by herself! Should bring one of those loud personal alarm door thingies but haven't yet gotten it together to buy and pack one.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #22
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library Minnie
What I wish is that there could be a better lock from the inside. The bizarre metal ball deadbolt is of no use to keep my daughter in the room. She is autistic and when I shower I live in fear that she's going to take a stroll by herself! Should bring one of those loud personal alarm door thingies but haven't yet gotten it together to buy and pack one.
The issue is that you cannot provide something that may benefit one person, but impede hundreds of other guests in case of the need to exit in case of a fire. Fire codes are based on years of research that benefit the masses.

Hotels must place a standard type of lock that benefits almost all of the resort guests and will not panic when the smoke alarm/fire alarm system.

If you are talking about a higher lock out of reach, but then you violate the code for handicapped accessibility. If you are talking about some type of alarm, it could be misconstrued as a fire alarm.

If you need to supplement that lock system, then you will need to provide it and educate your family specifically how to exit in case of a fire. This allows the owner of the facility to stay within the code and transfers the responsibility to your family in case of a fire.

Last edited by Missytara; 08-25-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
carl59
Mouseketeer

Thank you to all of you for our anwsers. POR in October, I guess will be going the old fashion way.

1997 - ASMo
1999 - PBH (USF)
2000 - ASMu
2006 - CBR
2012 - POR
carl59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast4beauty View Post
You're absolutely right though, the risk for theft is always there. The credit card companies deal with this stuff every day. From some personal experience, they've come quite a long ways in helping our their customers and getting charges removed quickly. Just keep on top of your bank/credit statements and call as soon as you see anything suspicious.

Sorry for getting off-topic....

I chose not to live in fear every day that someone is going to steal something of mine.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #25
djthereplay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Fantasia* View Post
Thank you both. It could be a small tiny card that you just wand on the door scanner. My friend has small card and he said he just waves it on the door with a scanner and the door unlocks at his work out place. I thought that was pretty neat. Maybe it's also a tracking device where they know who is using the room and what time. I just hope it's not a bracelet.. That could get annoying after awhile.

Hello all !,

I`m back from hiatous to tell you something that I`ve found out.
I`ve been researching for info about the new Walt Disney World RFID System. The way it goes is that the RFID Wristbands are being worked on, so I`m to guess that they will not show themselves up yet totally as far as the immediate future goes.
But what they are doing as far as the immediate time is updating the Key to the world tickets to the New RFID System.
Basically all that you will have to do is this. Instead of putting your Key To The World Card inside of the little slot on the doorlock of your resort hotel room, You will wave Your Key to the world card in front of the RFID Mickey Mouse Senser on the doorlock, and it will unlock the door.
Again, The Walt Disney World RFID Wristbands are coming in due time. But for now, They are updating the Key To The World Cards to fit the new RFID System. So, You do not necessarily need the arm braclets, or the Wristbands.
GRANTED, I have not been able to visit Walt Disney World since September 2009, BUT ..... There are those people whom have been visiting WDW Lately, so this is what I`ve found out from them.

Thanks for reading.

- Dwight
djthereplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #26
Prose
DIS Veteran

The Mansions section of POR installed RFID locks last week...not sure about AB section.
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #27
mhconley
Califloridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyMacJ View Post
this might be a completely stupid question, but what RFID door locks?
In addition to being a silly way of opening doors the RFID key is a way for Disney to track your every move within WDW...

Quote:
do they even have non rfid cards anymore?
Yes - I have zero RFID credit cards and have never had one. If you do happen to get one (they all have identifying symbols) just ask your credit card company to send you a non-RFID card - They all do, no questions asked.

Martin
Walt Disney World off-site: Fall 1972
Polynesian: Fall 1975
Disneyland day trip: Summer 1990
Grand Floridian: September 28 - October 8, 2002
Disneyland day trip: August 24, 2006
Wilderness Lodge: August 23-30, 2008
Disneyland Hotel: September 26 - October 1, 2009
Contemporary: September 17-25, 2011
Pop Century / Wilderness Lodge: December 8-14, 2012
Disneyland Grand Californian: May 28 - June 1, 2013
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean: October 12-19, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: February 21-24, 2014
Polynesian: August 16-26, 2015
mhconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #28
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseWolvrine View Post
The following resorts have the RFID door locks now.

Art of Animation
Beach/Beach Villas
Yacht
Boardwalk Inn/Villas
Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower
Wilderness Lodge
Old Key West
Coronado Springs
Animal Kingdom Jambo/Jambo Villas/Kidani

(I believe, but am not sure, AKL and CSR are not complete yet, so some rooms may still have the magnetic stripe readers on the doors)

You still are issued a room key to enter your room, the only difference is that you don't have to insert the card in the lock, just touch the card to the lock.
The Poly has them as well. Used them two weeks ago. They are low range RFID which means you have to be very close to the reader. In the Poly's case you had to touch the reader before it sensed the chip. The chip is imbedded in a normal looking room key card.

Let's stow the paranoia about this, at least in Disney's case. RFID can come in many forms some with relatively long range, several feet fom the reader, and some very short range, an inch or so from the reader. Disney is using very short range, you have to be less than an inch away and directly in front. We tested it by putting on top, to the side, under, and different ranges. Disney's implementation is very near field.

For somebody to steal anything from this card they'd have to be touching you and just the right angle. And yes, the RFID in the card can determine the range not the reader. The cases of theft from RFID are all from long range RFID which is being abandoned for secure uses.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
Prose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
Disney is using very short range, you have to be less than an inch away and directly in front. We tested it by putting on top, to the side, under, and different ranges. Disney's implementation is very near field.
I agree....DD loved to use the RFID to open the door, and it absolutely would not work unless the card was touching the pad on the door.
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #30
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You need to sign the back of the card. They will ask for photo ID if you haven't signed the card for your protection.
I NEVER understood that practice. If your credit card is signed, stores don't ask for ID. What if someone used a lost/stolen credit card that was not signed on the back? Of course they are not going to show their ID to use the card. They are going to sign the back of the card with the Cardholder's name in their own handwriting. Now when the thief uses the card, their signature matches the back of the card.

Most times you'll encounter an unsigned credit card its when it is in possession of the Cardholder, not the thief.

My sister works in the fraud investigation department of a major credit card. She said that most of the people they catch using a stolen card signed the back of it in their own handwriting so the signatures will match when they use it. Very few people use a stolen credit card that has already been signed on the back by someone else.
Whomever came up with that "for your protection" line never had any common sense.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: