Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #61
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Crystal Palace was so much fun! We enjoyed it too. I love the puffed French toast!!!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #62
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer UK View Post
Just joining in now and only on page two I love your TR and love your style of writing, I'm really getting in to your trip! So much fun.

You had me really giggling at 'air so humid you could almost drink it' and your photos are brilliant. Do you mind me asking what photopass+ is about? I'm guessing from something you said that you pay for it upfront? We had photopass when we went, and we got so much out of it that we bought the disk with everything on, love it

One more question - is TOT not too scary? It's the only ride I was too scared to go on! None of us did in the end, assuming it was one of those 'drop' things with nothing too special - I think we were wrong!
Oh my gosh, thank you so much! That is the nicest complement ever! And to my TR!! I am so glad to have you following along.

So Photopass+ is basically the Photopass CD with some added benefits. It costs a little bit more than the regular CD but you get an additional CD of 1000+ stock WDW photos, digital copies of ALL your ride photos, a print package at The Pirate's League, and print packages at select dining venues. I think they are the Polynesian Luau, Hoop De Do Review, O'hanna breakfast, Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, Akershus, and Cinderella's Royal Table

You can prepay or purchase it onsite. If you do the prepay option you get a voucher sent to you then you have to bring it to one of the parks to exchange it for your Photopass+ card & lanyard. Here is the link I used to preorder mine: (not sure if it's different for UK guests.) Photopass+ Pre-arrival Offer

Tower of Terror is my FAVORITE! I don't think its too scary The thrill is more the surprise of WHEN it will drop as opposed to the drop itself. The drop is actually really smooth; you don't feel like you're being jerked around or anything.

Quote:
...and I'm all caught up now!
Still loving reading along, thank you so much for sharing.

You're really making me want to get TSDP! We had counter service last time because we weren't sure which park we would end up in and didn't want to feel restricted. I think I know what I'm doing enough to get proper ADRs and yours all look like so much fun! Unfortunately it's out of budget for us, unless a miracle happens!
Well, I'm glad I didn't scare you off! I loved having the DDP this trip. When we figured our food budget we based it off what we paid out of pocket on our last trip (we had no dining plan in 2011). We ate mostly at quick service with two sit-down meals that time. When we compared it, the DDP was only a difference of $100 for us vs. out of pocket so we figured it would be worth it. We had some GREAT meals! I was worried about feeling restricted but it never ended up feeling that way. Especially since it was so hot when we went, it was nice to know that at least one meal of the day would be inside. However, I honestly think the counter service options at WDW are fantastic. I could totally eat at only counter service and feel completely happy. But I hope you get to try some ADRs on your next trip!! If you pick right, you'll have a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Crystal Palace was so much fun! We enjoyed it too. I love the puffed French toast!!!!!
Mmmmmmmm..... puuuufffed french toooooaaaast.....
How DH Saved Mother's Day with a SURPRISE Trip to WDW! 2012 July PTR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #63
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

New post coming soon.... I promise!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #64
Sundancer UK
DIS Veteran

Wow thanks for that! Photopass+ and TOT are *definitely* on the list this time around

Looking forward to more updates - don't get like me and leave it so long you forget the details!

I've decided I'm not a Disney fan as everyone thinks I am - No, I'm a Disney Geek!

I have a blog. I've posted a little. If people look I might be prompted to do more...

http://aurorasjoy.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #65
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

Adventureland Pixie Dust

After our fantastic breakfast at Crystal Palace, it was time for some rides! Josh had a 10:00 am appointment at The Pirates League so we figured we would start in the direction of Adventureland. As we entered, Aladdin's Magic Carpets was walkup so we hopped on.

Has anyone else noticed that the men in my family always feel compelled to pull faces when the camera is on?

Flying high over Adventureland!

So as we were sitting there, there was a Photopass photographer taking pictures of us on the ride! It was so cool! Such a magical moment.

After we got off the ride he scanned a photopass card, gave it to me and instructed me to stop by the photo shop on Main Street (where the Princess & Mickey M&G is) to have the pictures added to our account. I was so excited!

Next we went over to Jungle Cruise and again, it was walk on.

By this time it was getting close to Josh's appointment with a scurvy crew of pirates but there was time for ONE more ride....

The standby said 10 minutes but most of that was just walking through the que. In about 5 minutes time we were singing:

I've gotta say, this was probably the most... uummmm... interesting voyage I have ever been on with the POTC. As it turns out our crew (boat mates) were especially rowdy. Once we were all loaded in the family in front of us thought it would be fun to start splashing the water at each other. We waited and waited and waited at the point in the ride where they tell you to keep your arms and legs inside the boat.... They obviously didn't get the point that we weren't moving until they quit. Finally a CM said "I wouldn't do that if I were you. You don't know what's in that water and quite frankly, neither do I . And I don't want to find out!" They stopped then and we were on our way...

BUT the family behind us kept blinding us with their flash photos! The dad kept saying "Oh, honey get a picture of this!" She would snap it and say "None of my pictures are turning out!" He would say "Oh, get a picture of THIS!" she would snap it and say "That one didn't turn out either!" This went on in EVERY SCENE!!!! MAYBE the pictures aren't turning out because an itty bitty camera flash isn't meant to light up an entire darkened ROOM! Oh well, we just had to laugh at the whole situation.

We exited POTC and made our way back to the stroller so I could get Josh's costume.... We were ready to transform our little landlubber into a full fledged Pirate!! Arrrr Matey!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #66
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Wow thanks for that! Photopass+ and TOT are *definitely* on the list this time around

Looking forward to more updates - don't get like me and leave it so long you forget the details!
Hey, I peeked at your blog! Good start
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #67
Sundancer UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAndEvsMom View Post
Hey, I peeked at your blog! Good start
Yay thanks! I'm trying desperately to think of my next entry. I have a few ideas lined up, but trying not to be too personal or too Disney too early on I'm sure I'll get some inspiration to find a balance soon!

Once again, loving your photos. I can't believe we missed Jungle Cruise! HOW did we miss that? I can only think maybe it was closed when we went? The Tiki room was... Another one on the list!

I am eagerly awaiting the Pirates update - I actually have no idea what it is! Keep meaning to google it and forgetting, now I'll just wait for you to tell me. No pressure or anything

I've decided I'm not a Disney fan as everyone thinks I am - No, I'm a Disney Geek!

I have a blog. I've posted a little. If people look I might be prompted to do more...

http://aurorasjoy.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #68
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yay thanks! I'm trying desperately to think of my next entry. I have a few ideas lined up, but trying not to be too personal or too Disney too early on I'm sure I'll get some inspiration to find a balance soon!

Once again, loving your photos. I can't believe we missed Jungle Cruise! HOW did we miss that? I can only think maybe it was closed when we went? The Tiki room was... Another one on the list!

I am eagerly awaiting the Pirates update - I actually have no idea what it is! Keep meaning to google it and forgetting, now I'll just wait for you to tell me. No pressure or anything
I know how you feel about Jungle Cruise! I felt the same way about Spaceship Earth... llike, HOW ON EARTH did we miss that?! Ah well, any excuse to go back, right?

Oh, you're going to LOVE Pirates League! I won't tell you now, I'll just wait till my update.... I bet the suspense is KILLING YOU! lol! I promise, its coming soon.

As for your blog, I, for one, wouldn't mind one bit if you got "too Disney too soon."
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #69
lpf
Earning My Ears

Love reading your report - I'm travelling with a 2.5yr old soon so very glad to read!

In crystal palace, your children had some fabulous autograph books - where are they from, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #70
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

How fun that there was a Photopass person at the carpet ride! I've never seen that before.

Ugh, I hate when people take flash photography on those rides. Drives me bonkers!! And then for them to keep doing it...even though the pics were turning out awful

Cant wait to hear about Pirates League. Might be something my little boys might want to do in a few years.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #71
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpf View Post
Love reading your report - I'm travelling with a 2.5yr old soon so very glad to read!

In crystal palace, your children had some fabulous autograph books - where are they from, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks for following along! 2.5 years is such a magical age! You're going to have so much fun. I love that traveling with little ones forces you to just slow down and enjoy some of the little things that get overlooked when you're trying to get a bunch of rides in.

I actually made those on Shutterfly! I got the pages from other Dis-ers over on the Creative DISigns board. The 8x8 pages I found from OtterPop & ChaosCent and the covers and name fills were from MarneMouse. They are all so talented and generous over there! You should check it out! Here is the link to my post on my PTR if you're interested in seeing more details: Personalized Autograph Books

Quote:
How fun that there was a Photopass person at the carpet ride! I've never seen that before.

Ugh, I hate when people take flash photography on those rides. Drives me bonkers!! And then for them to keep doing it...even though the pics were turning out awful

Cant wait to hear about Pirates League. Might be something my little boys might want to do in a few years.
I had never seen a Photopass person taking photos of a ride before either! I was wondering if it was because 1. Magic Carpets is outdoors & in the open 2. It was early and 3. Not many people were on it or in line for it. Anyhow, what a fun bit of Disney magic!

Holy cow! Those people were driving me nuts! Mostly because of their comments on how it wasn't working... I swear it was like a sitcom or something. I kept wondering "Are we being punked?" We all left the ride completely cracking up.

Pirates League is coming up!! Your boys would LOVE it! The experience extended WAY beyond the League; so many CMs and guests reacted to Josh's get up. It was awesome. We all loved it.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #72
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

The Pirates League! AAaaRrrr Matey!

On to the Pirate's League! This was a MUCH anticipated part of our trip. I couldn't tell who was more excited, me or Josh! We chose to bring a costume from home instead of purchase one. Josh was a pirate for halloween last year so this costume was from Old Navy. It was getting a little snug on him at the time; now it doesn't fit AT ALL! I swear that boy grows like a weed!

I took Josh to the bathroom to get changed while Eric took Ev. First things first though, we had to get a "before" picture of Landlubber Joshua!

After getting changed, we went to the Pirate's League desk to get checked in. The CM checked our reservation and handed Josh a card that had each of the "looks" that he could choose from.

For anyone who doesn't know what the Pirate's League is, here is a description from Allears.net:

In The Pirates League, an interactive Pirate experience, boys and girls (and grown-ups) can be transformed into pirates, with their own special look and name. They'll also learn how to swashbuckle and the official Pirate League Oath.

From Disney's Website:
Choose from 5 fearsome makeup looks and be transformed into a “First Mate” or “Empress” pirate. But first, be ye christened with yer Official Pirate Name from the leather-bound captain’s log. At the Muster Station, the League’s veteran pirates will then make you over as a merciless marauder with:

Your choice of facial effect: Cursed Pirate, Captain Hook, Captain Jack, Blackeyed Jack or shimmering make-up
Reversible bandanna
Earring and eye patch
Temporary tattoo
Removable teeth for First Mates
Bold make-up, nail polish and face gem for Empresses

Each aspiring pirate will receive his or her own:

Sword and sheath
Pirate coin necklace
Personalized pirate oath

The cost is $29.95 and you have the option to add on a print package for $14.95, unless you have Photopass+ then the print package is included!!! You can also add on any other pirate-y accouterments that you wish. Since Josh chose Captain Hook, we purchased a hook for $6.00.

He had been talking and talking about getting the "Cursed Pirate" look for ages but when push came to shove, he chose "Captain Hook!" I think it had something to do with Megan's TR (Jedi's, Pirates & Extended Family) that we were following here on the Dis! When he saw Anthony's transformation, he really liked it! I really loved how the CM was so good about talking to JOSH and making sure JOSH was picking out what HE wanted. I would have allowed him to get whatever he wanted but I was glad he chose Captain Hook. I was a little worried that the Cursed Pirate would get uncomfortable and melty in the heat.

We waited a couple of minutes outside before a Pirate came out to lead Josh through the first experience at the Pirate's League: Choosing his Pirate Name!

This was so much fun! First the Pirate took him to the "Paradise Box". She said, "You know why its called a Paradise Box?" She opened it up and put two dice in and said "Because there's a Pair of Dice in the Box!" Then she had Josh spin the wheel.

She took the number from the dice and opened a book to a page corresponding with his birthday.

According to her piratical calculations, he should henceforth be known as....

Hector Wavewrecker!

We were then led into the transformation room to wait for our pirate. I know everyone says this but we were really surprised how small this place really is. There were probably 12 stations in all..?? And there were only 4 kids getting made-over, including Josh.

We only waited a few more minutes before Josh's name was called.

Our pirate was hysterical! She was so great. I don't remember her name but she was from Venezuela which is where Josh's uncle is from too. Her accent was pretty thick but that only added to the experience, in our opinion. First, she gave him his Pirate Mark... aka, temporary tatoo.

Next she confirmed which "look" he wanted to get and teased him a little bit. She asked him if I was his girlfriend and silly things like that.

Then she started painting on his new look with some "squid ink"

So how did Hector Wavewrecker look when he was completely transformed? Continued in the next post!!!....
Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #73
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

The Pirate's League! ArrrRRrr Matey!! Continued...

Introducing...

Hector Wavewrecker!!!

However just LOOKING like a pirate won't do. It won't do at all! To BECOME a pirate, one must take the Pirate Oath!

Our Pirate read the Pirate Oath and had Josh... I mean Hector... repeat it back to her. This is where she used her accent to her advantage. Most of the way through, she read it very clearly and slowly then at the end she read a whole bunch really, really fast. I am sure she spoke some of it in Spanish! Josh had been taking it all so seriously that she took him by surprise and he was trying to say exactly what she had just said. We were dying laughing!

Now that he was a real pirate, she lead us all to the "Secret Treasure Room" where he received a golden coin necklace from Captain Jack's personal treasure stash. This is also where they do the mini photo session of the brand new pirate.

I had already settled the bill when Josh was getting made-over so on our way out all we had to do was wait for the prints to be made. When I settled, I had wanted to tip our Pirate and you can't write it in on the receipt so they have to add it onto the charge and give you cash back. Also, I can't quite remember correctly but I know we couldn't pay with our KTTW card. I'm not sure if that is because of the tip/cash back or if is just the way they do it at The Pirate's League.

So, would we do this again YES, YES, YES!!! This experience was so worth it. It was way, way more than "face paint." It was all the fun we had with our pirate, it was all the CM's and guests who commented on how good he looked for the rest of the day, it was the shouts of "ahoy matey!" and "arrr me harty!" from the CMs at POTC (we went on that ride several more times ). It was watching my little boy BECOME a pirate for a day and seeing the delight in his face over and over and over. It was awesome. I can't wait for him to get to do it again. The next time we go, my DD will be at least 3 so I can't wait for her to get to do BBB for the same reasons. IT WAS MAGICAL!

Josh had such a good time. Here are Hector's "after" photos to prove it!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #74
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Pirates League looks so much fun!! Seems like Josh had a great time

Definately might have to be something to look into for the little boys in a few years.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #75
JoshAndEvsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Pirates League looks so much fun!! Seems like Josh had a great time

Definately might have to be something to look into for the little boys in a few years.
It was awesome! I just hope we can get back before Josh has out grown it! Sorry for the lack of updates... we've had a rough couple of weeks with the stomach flu getting passed around our house. Uugh. Hopefully I'll be able to post again by tomorrow!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: