Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
So for those of you who know me, hi, old friends!

Not that you're old. Nor am I. We've just known each other a while.
Well, that is up for debate....

You know, I was all ok with the "I'm not going to WDW anytime soon" deal until this. I wanna book a solo!! &*@##$ computers......

No, really, I'm SO happy you finally have this chance. I've had mine. It was MA.GI.CAL!!! And I'll be on board the whole way, living vicariously.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
I'm here!!! I am so with you on needing some alone time! I haven't had a minute to myself in about 3 weeks so I am jealous of you.

Happy to have you here! And I hear you on the alone time. Something I think every mother can identify with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
Well, that is up for debate....
Lookie here, missie. We are NOT old.

We are timeless.

:::ahem:::

Quote:
You know, I was all ok with the "I'm not going to WDW anytime soon" deal until this. I wanna book a solo!! &*@##$ computers......

No, really, I'm SO happy you finally have this chance. I've had mine. It was MA.GI.CAL!!! And I'll be on board the whole way, living vicariously.
Aw! I know how you feel. Because it's that feeling resulted in this trip.

Live vicariously away.

And
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
TarzansKat

Shoes, Shoes...My Kingdom For a Comfy Pair of Shoes

I have a VIP account with Zappos.

I'm just sayin'. I order something, and it's here the next business day.

Let's not talk about the number of boxes that have arrived at my house this week. Five.

Or the number of boxes due to arrive today. Three.

Let's instead focus on the simple fact that all the boxes, so far, have gone straight back.

I have a really hard time finding a good touring shoe. I'm a flip flop girl, and it's hard to deviate from that path, but I need a flip flop with really good support. I'm currently wearing some Teva Katavis, but they've been my go to flip all summer and they're pretty much shot. I injured my knee running, so I can't mess around with supportive footwear. It has to work, or I'm going to be in pain.

Pain with park touring = no fun on Disney vacation.

In all reality, I probably should just order the same pair of Tevas over again. But while good, these don't offer the level of arch support I really need.

And it's never that simple. I get bored. Want something different. Something, even, dare I say...pretty? Or at least cute. Or some derivative thereof.

So I've tried Crocs, Tevas, Merrells. I've got another set of Merrells, Keens, and Montrails coming today.

Could we send up a little pray to the shoe gods?

Please...almighty gods of fashionable / comfortable footwear...allow me to find something that will astonish me with how great my feet feel after walking in the parks all day while also conveying to the world (and World) that I have some sense of fashion.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

KAT!!! I'm so glad to see you back on the DIS, I've missed you! Your solo trip sounds fantastic!

Ugh I feel your pain about trying to find comfy shoes for the parks...I usually use Crocs, but lately I've been feeling like they're not good enough either. If you find something good let me know!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I can't help you on the shoes...I'm not a big shoe person. If we are splitting our days up with some rest, I wear my Nike cushion flip flops in the morning and my Skecher gym shoes in the afternoon/evening. If we aren't breaking up the day, it's my Skecher's all the way.

RIP Genie
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
KAT!!! I'm so glad to see you back on the DIS, I've missed you! Your solo trip sounds fantastic!
Thank you!

And

Quote:
Ugh I feel your pain about trying to find comfy shoes for the parks...I usually use Crocs, but lately I've been feeling like they're not good enough either. If you find something good let me know!
I currently have on my feet a pair of Montrail flips. The arch actually seems to be hitting me in the right place. The strap feels a little big, but we all know how hot it gets in Florida, and your feet can swell, so these may...gasp...be a winner. I won't go tearing the tags off just yet though. I'm going to wear them around the house a bit and see how I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I can't help you on the shoes...I'm not a big shoe person. If we are splitting our days up with some rest, I wear my Nike cushion flip flops in the morning and my Skecher gym shoes in the afternoon/evening. If we aren't breaking up the day, it's my Skecher's all the way.
You know, the way I talk about shoes, you'd think I'm a big shoe person, but I'm not. I'm just an obsessive shoe person. I need that one magical pair and then I will wear them until they die.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

Quote:
All caught up. I, for one, am so glad you decided to go ahead with this solo trip. I find that no matter how much we love our children, a little break revigorates us.

Yes, and AAAAMEN!

Had I known Kat was doing this, I would have been here first.
I know you would have.

Quote:
Kat, it was very hard when we went to Disney a week after my Dad passed. I shed a few tears walking into Epcot and then totally lost it and sobbed uncontrollably when we got on Spaceship Earth because that was "Grandpa's Ball" as the kids called it because it was my Dad's favorite ride. It did get easier as the week passed, and now I just get misty-eyed when I give out that balloon.
Quote:
I think it's wonderful that you give out the balloon. I have been trying to think of something like that to honor my mother, and nothing has felt right just yet. I know it will come to me.

There's been a couple of times in the parks that I've gotten choked up without her. The first was really when we walked into the Magic Kingdom on our first family trip without her, and it, much like the rest of the world (and World) was still there! Going on, without her! Even though I knew that, it was still hard to wrap my brain around.

OMGosh! Such bitter sweet moments/memories. At least they will always be with you when you two go. Good to share those memories with the kids when you're in the parks.

Quote:
Oh, I hear you, believe me. It's nice to feel supported in my desire for some alone time.
Consider me like an undergarment, baby! I'm here for total support.

Quote:
I have a VIP account with Zappos.

Me too!! Aaaaaah someone else who get's my affinity for comfortable shoes.

I'm just sayin'. I order something, and it's here the next business day.

It's totally brill! Is it not?!?

I have a really hard time finding a good touring shoe. I'm a flip flop girl, and it's hard to deviate from that path, but I need a flip flop with really good support.

I've met my match!!

So I've tried Crocs, Tevas, Merrells. I've got another set of Merrells, Keens, and Montrails coming today.

Can't do any of them.

Could we send up a little pray to the shoe gods?

You bet! I'm kinda on the same trek as you are.
I'll share what I've found. I think they might be too much for you, but! You never know....

These are my daughters picks...

This is ONE of mine....

Quote:
I currently have on my feet a pair of Montrail flips. The arch actually seems to be hitting me in the right place. The strap feels a little big, but we all know how hot it gets in Florida, and your feet can swell, so these may...gasp...be a winner. I won't go tearing the tags off just yet though. I'm going to wear them around the house a bit and see how I do.

You know, the way I talk about shoes, you'd think I'm a big shoe person, but I'm not. I'm just an obsessive shoe person. I need that one magical pair and then I will wear them until they die.
Ditto! You'd think I was a shoe hound too, but I just like cute and comfy shoes, one's that support my high arches and my some what wide foot, and one's that won't allow my knees, hips and lower back feel like someone ran me over at the end of a long day. Is that too much to ask for?!?

Once I find a couple of pair I wear them out before I get new one's, so I know I'm not a shoe hound.

The shoes that I showed pics of are Yellow Box, if you want to know more about them, I did a whole post on them in my PTR (there's a link for them). Feel free to read up if you like. I think you'd like the more flat looking one's in the pictures (lots of style choices). Right now it's hard to find the thicker one's (now days) that aren't rock hard. Soooo hoping they change that back to the softer one's that I've been wearing for years, before we go that is, I'm not totally in love with the one's I bought.
My next pair I'm looking into are....Sanuk, yoga mat flip flops. Not sure what to expect in the support part, but I'm sure they will feel really soft and comfy otherwise.

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
OMGosh! Such bitter sweet moments/memories. At least they will always be with you when you two go. Good to share those memories with the kids when you're in the parks.
I'm quite sure there will be a full on "mom memories" post. I'll warn everyone beforehand to grab the kleenex.

Quote:
Consider me like an undergarment, baby! I'm here for total support.
Camille, I just snort laughed. It's a rare person that can make me do that, and I thank you. I've had a long week and that just tickled me to no end.

Quote:
I'll share what I've found. I think they might be too much for you, but! You never know....

These are my daughters picks...

This is ONE of mine....

Ditto! You'd think I was a shoe hound too, but I just like cute and comfy shoes, one's that support my high arches and my some what wide foot, and one's that won't allow my knees, hips and lower back feel like someone ran me over at the end of a long day. Is that too much to ask for?!?

Once I find a couple of pair I wear them out before I get new one's, so I know I'm not a shoe hound.

The shoes that I showed pics of are Yellow Box, if you want to know more about them, I did a whole post on them in my PTR (there's a link for them). Feel free to read up if you like. I think you'd like the more flat looking one's in the pictures (lots of style choices). Right now it's hard to find the thicker one's (now days) that aren't rock hard. Soooo hoping they change that back to the softer one's that I've been wearing for years, before we go that is, I'm not totally in love with the one's I bought.
My next pair I'm looking into are....Sanuk, yoga mat flip flops. Not sure what to expect in the support part, but I'm sure they will feel really soft and comfy otherwise.
Those are super cute!

I don't know if that foot bed would be supportive enough for me. I'm going to check out your post on your PTR and see more about it.

I'm currently rocking the oh so fabulous look of double socks with a pair of sandals I ordered. The arch support and foot bed is awesome, but one of the top straps is a little tight, so I'm trying to stretch them out.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
TarzansKat

You Mean I Get Four Days...Just For ME?

Yes, that's a capital ME. Not to be confused with M.E.

Or MSEP. Or MNSSHP. Or taking the TTA.

Sorry. I forgot how much fun it was to use all our little DIS acronyms.

I have fantasies about this trip, I won't lie.

Not those kind. We're keeping it PG. I mean, I may love Captain Jack, but I won't try to kidnap him...this time.

Speaking of, I finally got to meet him last year. Oh, dear sweet Lord, was that a moment. You'll have to ask Miss Tinkerbellarella about what happened to me. I could try to describe it but I will most likely be reduced to the fit of giggles I experienced then. I don't think I've had the same feeling since I was a pre-teen at a New Kids on the Block concert.

And if that hasn't dated me, I don't know what will.

Anyway...

Now my flight to the Happy Haunting Ground leaves super early.

What I like to refer to as stupid or crazy early. Not nice words, but sooo true. My flight's at 630am. Which means I need to be up at...you know, I just don't even want to think about that yet.

The cool thing about the crazy early flight is that it puts me in Orlando around 9:30am. Which gives me a whole day!

But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Let's talk about the flight, shall we? Why? Why could that possibly be so exciting? Well, I'll tell you!

Because it'll just be me!!!

It's a theme, see?

Anyway, I'm really stoked about loading up my Nook with books (I'm a frugal princess, so I like to do a lot of library loans) and reading to my heart's content. Or not. And listening to music. Or not.

Because I can.

MWA HA HA!!!!!!

Now, I'm not a fan of flying. The great irony of this is that my sister is a pilot, it's what she does for a living. You couldn't get more opposite siblings if you tried. I'm able to pretty much talk myself out of my claustrophobia and fear of heights and get on that airplane. Why? Because it takes me to Disney. And that's pretty much it.

So books, crosswords, word searches, and MP3 player, these are my big distractors, and I'm so excited to be able to do whatever I choose.

Oh, the freedom. The bliss.

The joy of looking forward to my own room at CBR. Of knowing that I get to pick whichever bed I want. And spread out my stuff. And do whatever I want!

Oh, I can see how the power of a solo trip so quickly goes to your head.

So I figure I'll get to the resort somewhere between 1030 and 1100 if I'm lucky, get checked in, and see if I have a room.

And after that's all sorted out, I'll....

well, we have to save something for next time, right?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #25
TarzansKat

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me

Before we get to my day one plans to pirate up, as it were, let's have a little chat about some logistics and some fun.

I called this week and added Magical Express to my reservation, so my transportation is all set, which is awesome.

There's only 18 days until my trip, so let's do the oh my gosh I'm in the teens dance...which looks a little something like this...

I still need to purchase my MNSSHP ticket, but the website was a little wonky tonight, so I'll probably try again tomorrow. My hotel ressie is paid in full as of this evening, which is nice to have taken care of.

And, I had a lovely girls day today with two dear friends who I met on the DIS, Tinkerbellarella and LegoMom3. We met up and had a great lunch at the Rainforest Cafe and totally pretended we were at Downtown (or AK, take your pick).

And now to return to your regularly scheduled pretrip report programming...

When last we left me, I believe I was reveling in all that is flying on an airplane alone, and heading over to my resort, the tropical CBR, to get checked in.

My big plans for day one are as follows...

are you ready...

it's insanely detailed, I just want to prepare you...

I'm going to the Magic Kingdom!

Shortest post ever.

Just kidding.

Really, I have very few "set" plans for this day, but I do have a general idea of a couple of things that are must do's for me.

One is to be able to go the left.

Whenever I go to the Magic Kingdom with the family, as soon as Nemo was old enough to have an opinion about what he wanted to do, we always, always, always would walk down Main Street and go to the right.

Why?

To ride on Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, of course! Because that is what little boys want to do!

But what do I want to do?

I want to go the left, and head straight to Pirates of the Caribbean, because I have priorities, my friends, and one of those is pirates. Before Captain Jack, this ride was one of my favorites, and it's been ever since I was a little kid.

The second thing I'd really, really like to do is see the Main Street Electrical Parade. Another one of my favorites from childhood. It is scheduled to run that night, and I'm hoping weather and my stamina permitting, I'll be able to make it that late.

Normally, 900pm isn't late for me, but given that I'll have been up for the crazy early flight, I'm not sure how long the adrenaline rush of being in Disney alone will last.

The Main Street Electrical Parade brings back really fond memories for me, of being a young kiddo and seeing it, of the time Nana and I watched it sitting on a bench at the top of the train station, of the time we just happened to catch it one night on a trip with my mom and father in law. Just the music transports me back to a time when I could get pure joy just from seeing a Disney parade, and for a moment, I can be that kid again.

I guess that's one of the reasons we keep going back, right?

I was just reading a post on Facebook tonight that was a quote by Walt, talking about how it's unfortunate that most adults have to grow up, that they can't remember what it was like to be twelve.

And I think that's one of the great things that Disney World does. No matter how old we are, and whether we're with family or alone, for a brief moment in time, we get to be kids again.

I'm really looking forward to that.

I'm thinking I'll do my usual sweep of HM, the TTA, maybe some Fantasyland rides if I feel like it, who knows what else. Somewhere in there, I'd like to sneak in the delightful, delectable Dole Whip float.

Honestly, I'm going to wing it.

Because I can.

Because it's just me.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #26
Mean Queen
If only life were like a musical....
I always appreciate snarky
A whole zoo!
I blame it all on the computer

Alone time! What a dream. That is one down side to living so close to WDW, I can't go without my family wanting to tag along.

And our family almost always heads to Pirates first.

DVC Owners - SSR & BLT DCL: 11/05 ~ 5/07 ~ 11/08 ~ 6/09 ~ 8/10 ~ 3/11B2B ~ 11/11 ~ 6/12 ~9/12 ~ 11/13 ~ 1/14
Mean Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
maroo
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I'm here!

Thank you so much for the heads up!

And I see you have met Camille! One of my dearest DIS friends!

I totally wish you were going in October....

And I came so close to going in Sept....

But alas...it will be good to be there in spirit! And tag along on here! You will have so much fun!!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #28
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I'm here! Can't believe I missed it starting. Gotta love Zappos VIP, it does have the unfortunate affect of making all others shipping by any other store seem down right pokey.

I've even had an item ordered on a Sunday, arrive on Monday.

Creepy

I'm of no help with shoes. I love them and bring lots so I can rotate. Doesn't matter how good they are, I'll get hot spots as my fragile feet break in the Florida heat. If I rotate style and where straps hit, it minimizes any issues. I too am a sandal girl. Favorite park shoe though is probably my Noats, followed by Keen and maybe my Privos.

You don't want to know how many pairs I bring on a trip. I mean depending on the trip you need park shoe, dress up shoe, work out shoe, pool shoe....lol

Love the plans the resort the "free" flight, all of it!!!!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #29
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Queen View Post
Alone time! What a dream. That is one down side to living so close to WDW, I can't go without my family wanting to tag along.
Always hornin' in on your Disney fun, huh?

Quote:
And our family almost always heads to Pirates first.
I need to hang with you more often.

And btw,

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
I'm here! I'm here!

Thank you so much for the heads up!
Yay, it's Maroo!!!!

Quote:
And I see you have met Camille! One of my dearest DIS friends!
I have met the lovely Camille. Bless her, she was the first one here.

Quote:
I totally wish you were going in October....

And I came so close to going in Sept....
Much as I love October, I am a September girl at heart. I miss my low crowds, early MNSSHP fun.

Quote:
But alas...it will be good to be there in spirit! And tag along on here! You will have so much fun!!
This is what I love about the DIS. Regardless of whether or not you're physically there, I'm taking you all with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'm here! Can't believe I missed it starting. Gotta love Zappos VIP, it does have the unfortunate affect of making all others shipping by any other store seem down right pokey.

I've even had an item ordered on a Sunday, arrive on Monday.

Creepy

And oh my gosh. I know what you mean. I am spoiled by Zappos next day shipping! Now when things take a normal amount of time, I am frustrated.

Quote:
I'm of no help with shoes. I love them and bring lots so I can rotate. Doesn't matter how good they are, I'll get hot spots as my fragile feet break in the Florida heat. If I rotate style and where straps hit, it minimizes any issues. I too am a sandal girl. Favorite park shoe though is probably my Noats, followed by Keen and maybe my Privos.

You don't want to know how many pairs I bring on a trip. I mean depending on the trip you need park shoe, dress up shoe, work out shoe, pool shoe....lol

Love the plans the resort the "free" flight, all of it!!!!
Ooooo....I like your style with the shoes. I am just not sure how many I want to pack for four days, but maybe I should be rethinking this whole rotation concept you've got going on.

Thanks for lovin' the plans! I am in love with them myself.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #30
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Hi.

MRYPPNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: