Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans

What's With All the Stray Cats?

I have noticed starting about 8 years ago an alarming number of stray cats all over Orlando. My son and his GF even saw a couple at Epcot. We have seen them outside Bahama Breeze, Vistana Resort, Mystic Dunes(starting 8 years ago) and a variety of other places. Anyone have any info on this huge population explosion of cats?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Art 1
DIS Veteran

It's true. Maybe 20 years ago the College Park section was over run. It was a problem. We have noticed them around more in the last few months. I trapped one last week and moved it and am going to trap a few more.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I think to as people can no longer afford their pets they have turned them lose. Many were never spayed and therefore they multiply. Its sad to see them. I don't feed any strays but I do put water out for them. If I were a stray I would want someone to at least give me fresh water especially on a hot day.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans

There were some outside Bahama Breeze and I think they have adopted them. I saw a water bowl and they were very friendly.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
DizzneyDi
Mouseketeer

Sadly, the stray cat epidemic isn't confined to Orlando. I work at a library in a suburb of a small city in upstate NY, and we've "adopted" the strays in the neighborhood for the past few years. We were able to rescue a litter of 3 last year but this year we've had 7 new kittens and no one has been willing to help us trap them and look after them until they find homes. We're quite close to the local university so there are a lot of students living nearby, and I suspect they're a big part of the problem. They want pets but aren't willing to take them along when they graduate. I'm not surprised to hear that strays have made their way to Disney, where so many people are eating outside every day. Cats know to go where the food is!

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus -- Mark Twain

DizzneyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzneyDi View Post
We're quite close to the local university so there are a lot of students living nearby, and I suspect they're a big part of the problem. They want pets but aren't willing to take them along when they graduate.
Could be, but in our neighborhood the college students tend to "kinda" adopt local cats and then move on. Which is to say, they feed cats and bring them in for a few hours a day, but said cats technically already have a home. OTOH, it was a non-college neighbor who moved out, abandoning his Very Pregnant Young Kitty on the porch with her bowl of food and box full of kitty litter. We still have four of those kittens, and they're totally sweethearts. I will admit the college kid who "claimed" one of the kittens never showed up for it the next fall as she said she would.

And then there's the lady next block over who loves cats and doesn't believe in spaying because she "loves kittens." We don't trap cats for the pound, but we've been known to haul a stray or feral cat into neuterscooter now and again. We've never deliberately trapped a cat belonging to the cat lady, but I don't know for a fact it hasn't happened.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
lilandvisma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella the Ball 360 View Post
I have noticed starting about 8 years ago an alarming number of stray cats all over Orlando. My son and his GF even saw a couple at Epcot. We have seen them outside Bahama Breeze, Vistana Resort, Mystic Dunes(starting 8 years ago) and a variety of other places. Anyone have any info on this huge population explosion of cats?

Poor kitties....But if I were a stray cat you better believe I'd be wandering Epcot! Just for the food alone lol.

Our March 2011 PTRMy March 2011 DxDP Review!
lilandvisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
lilandvisma
DIS Veteran

trapping a cat and moving it isn't going to keep it away from where it wants to be btw. Cats are highly intelligent.

Our March 2011 PTRMy March 2011 DxDP Review!
lilandvisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
red712371
Mouseketeer

I have heard that Disney does have some feral cats for pest control reasons. Not sure how true that is or not. We saw one a few times at AKL and MK.
red712371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
loveswdw
DIS Veteran

I was just reading an article the other day about cats around Disneyland. I know its not the same as WDW but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. It's from a site called Mental Floss:

The Cats Own the Night
Each night at Disneyland, after the sunburned families and exhausted cast members have made their way home, the park fills up again—this time, with hundreds of feral cats.

Park officials love the felines because they help control the mouse population. (After all, a park full of cartoon mice is more enticing than a park full of real ones.) But these cats aren’t a new addition to the Disney family. They first showed up at Disneyland shortly after it opened in 1955, and rather than spend time chasing them away, park officials decided to put the cats to work.

Today, there are plenty of benefits to being a Disney-employed mouser. When they’re not prowling the grounds, these corporate fat cats spend their days lounging at one of the park’s five permanent feeding stations. Of course, Disney also goes to great lengths to manage its feline population. Wranglers at the park work to spay and neuter adult cats, and any time kittens are found, they’re put up for adoption.

Read the full text here: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/arc...#ixzz24nFSQjpF

OUR TRIPS March '14-RPR/AKVK Oct '11-BCV Oct '10-HHI June '10 (Star Wars Weekends)-Swan/BWV Feb/March '09-OKW (Spring Training) Oct '08-SSR/POR (Alex's 1st trip) Oct '07-OKW (Our 1st MNSSHP) Dec '06-BCV (Our 1st MVMCP) Oct '05-BCV March '05-OKW/AKL (Spring Training/Jonathan's first trip!) Oct '03-BCV (first trip HOME!) Sept '02-POFQ (first trip for my mom!) Sept '01-Hard Rock Hotel (had to stay there!!) Sept '00-CSR (Millennium celebration) Sept '99-POFQ (honeymoon!) Jan '98 ASMu (first trip--the WDW addiction begins!)
loveswdw is offline   Reply With Quote