Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
drakethib

DIS Veteran

Need Ideas from DiSr's especially those with Military ties.

All.

Long story short I will be putting together a Veterans Day Luncheon at my workplace.

Each year we give each Veteran a "gift" Plaque, Desk Emblem, etc basically saying thank you for your service from our company as well as the date of the event (11-11-20XX).

Well, I am trying to come up with some kind of meaningful gift this year and I am drawing a blank.

While I am a Veteran myself, I could sue input from my Brother and Sisters in Arms.

I don't have a budget but I cant go crazy with money either. Approx 180 people will be in attendance.

Please offer any ideas that you may think would be suitable.

Thanks !
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Drake, Wonderful that your company does that. So many companies don't even think about the veterans they employ.

I'm guessing that what works for one generation of veterans could be another's useless trinket. Yes, I guess that's a bit harsh. Some of us come from an era when we practically never talked about our service and perhaps are still a bit hesitant to bring it up. Expect those folks to politely say thank you very much and then stick it in their desk draw. Others will be very proud of their service and proudly display the honor at their desk. Yeah, no help at all.

So, for those that will treasure and display the honor, what to get? I guess it depends on the work environment. Do they all have desks? Or is this a industrial job? Perhaps an american flag pin that they can wear on their collar/lapel? Or something keyed to their branch of service?

I guess the thing that's most important is that you've decided to recognize them in some way. Its the thought that really counts in this event.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I guess the thing that's most important is that you've decided to recognize them in some way. Its the thought that really counts in this event.

Dad [RIP] was a WWII-era Marine. FIL is retired Army. Both proud of service, but never talked about details.

Maybe a nice pen set. Dad always liked something useful, rather than ornamental. Plaques just sit there and do nothing.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I know you didn't get much help here but was wondering if you've come up with anything Drake?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

As an Air Force retiree (24 years), I just want to say what a lovely and generous thing you're doing! Absolutely first rate on your part, and I hope that your goodness comes back to you a hundred fold.

Most military people have lots of "stuff" from their service days. Most in service had a "Dig Me!" wall with lots of plaques and certificates and that sort of thing. I have a big box of that stuff taking up room now: I have no idea what I'll do with it al. So a plaque wouldn't mean much. I love the idea of a pen--it's useful and significant. Another possibility is a card case (if yours is a white collar type environment) or a business card holder for the desk. Or a nice key ring. Or a glass or pewter beer mug or crystal wine glass (or coffee mug if that's more appropriate) with his/her own service emblem and date etched on it.

And thank YOU for your service!

I've eaten at 66 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (27%)
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: