Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #31
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
I just googled cause I'm bored lol and the closest one to me is in pa at 88.30 miles away I'll get there sooner or later
Haha but it's worth it!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #32
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just googled cause I'm bored lol and the closest one to me is in pa at 88.30 miles away I'll get there sooner or later
I feel so bad, there's Chick Fill A's all around here (I live in PA) but I've never been to one, I don't like chicken. I wish I could give up the locations for you.
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
LifeIsDis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
i feel so bad, there's chick fill a's all around here (i live in pa) but i've never been to one, i don't like chicken. I wish i could give up the locations for you.
I am so jealous.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #34
LifeIsDis

This place is a DUMP.

August 11th

It's official. I'm going to Disney World TODAY!!!!!!

That is what probably got me out of bed.

Mum woke up at 7 and I got up at 7:15. And we were out the door by 8:15. Pretty good, my friends, pretty good!

The hotel had a continental breakfast. They had a bigger selection than the day before.
I got eggs, potatoes, cereal and fruit. The potatoes werenít the best because they had way too many spices. So I just ate the rest of my food.
Mum got a waffle and tea. Thank God they had hot water!! And Iím not sure why they didnít have a Mickey waffle maker. I should have brought mine from home. It would have made me very happy.

We then went back up to the room and got our stuff together. Good thing we were leaving that day because they people that just got there that were next door to us were SOOOO loud. It was ridiculous.

We went to the lobby and checked out. They had these complimentary bags filled with a water, a granola bar, apple, napkins, and a mint. We got the last one. We thought they were a very nice thing to do. After we got one, we got in the car and were on the road at 8:57.

Mum decided that she was from the south at some point and I had to put with her talking like a southerner. Then she started yelling at people with her accent.

For example:
"Look at that one coming off the ramp like they own the place, y'all!"

See what I have to put up with?

Then she started doing remixes of songs to make them sound like they were country.

"I could totally be a country singer." - my mom

It was ridiculous. All I could think in my head was ďGet me out of here. Get me out of here. Get me out of here.Ē

Finally she stopped after like 3 hours. Fine, an hour.

Then we started to see the billboards. For what you may ask? The second happiest place on Earth! And what would that be? SOUTH OF THE BORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, were we excited!

The billboards start 100 miles back, so at least we had something to look at along the way. I was so excited to see that they had a reptile lagoon there because I like reptiles so much. Actually I just like little rodents named Mickey. But they didnít have a rodent lagoon, which I was disappointed aboutÖ

Only 19 more miles until South of the Border! Boo to the ya!

Then we saw itÖ

You can hear the angels singing now!

We had to stop of course!

Even the sign is just so eye-catching, just like the rest of the place.

We could have went to Six Flags and then here! It would have been a perfect vacation!

So we parked in a little parking lot, and headed into one of the stores.

They even have a map to show you all of the wonderful things they have to offer there!

Look, they have rides, a hotel, a coffee shop, mini golf, and restaurants! Oh, and you canít forget that reptile lagoon! So basically, itís a really dumpy version of Disney World! I donít know why we didnít stay longer.

South of the Border is a DUMP.

So we looked around in this lovely storeÖ

And we HAD to get something! So we got these two South of the Border stickers for only 10 cents! What a bargain!

We walked around another store for a bit then used their sparking clean bathrooms. Well at least one of the billboards said that.

We had to get out of there. But first we had to stop for some gas there.

We said bye to South of the Border and then we were on our way. Iím not sure why we didnít stay longer.

So it was about 11 at this time. So we kept driving and I realized something. South Carolina has no Chick Fil Aís. And thatís what I wanted for lunch. I didnít care that I just had it 24 hours before. I NEEDED to have it again. So I searched on Mumís wonderful phone for a Chick Fil A in South Carolina and they didnít even have one. And the next place that did was Georgia. Awesome. And it was about 90 minutes away and we were both starving. I refused to have something else for lunch. I NEEDED CHICKEN. I know I have a problem. And no I donít care. I havenít had Chick Fil A in almost 2 years and I was having withdrawals. So I talked Mum into getting it again and she agreed (THANK GOD).

And good thing it was at the first exit in Georgia because we were STARVING. But I was happy because I was having Chick Fil A twice in a 24 hour period.

I ordered the 4 piece chicken strips with waffle fries and a chocolate shake. Those chicken strips are amazing. I wish they sold like a 10 piece though. I would eat the whole thing.

Mum got the 8 piece chicken nuggets with waffle fries and a vanilla shake.

Here is all of our heavenly food.

We got back in the car and both of our throats hurt from the shakes. It was really weird but it didnít last.

The weather in Georgia was absolutely NUTS. It would rain one second. Then stop. Then rain. Then stop. At some points, we couldnít even see out the windshield because it was raining that hard.

It stopped after awhile and pretty soon, we were seeing this:

WE ARE IN FLORIDA!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #35
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Joining in, sounds like a fun trip! I have driven to FL from CT a few times with my family, and I remember how looooonng the drive was!

We stopped in South of the Border a few times, and you're right, it is a dump! And I haven't been there since I was a kid, so I'm sure it's gotten much worse!

Can't wait to read more!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #36
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

OMg awe you're mega sweet ,thanks
Quote:
I feel so bad, there's Chick Fill A's all around here (I live in PA) but I've never been to one, I don't like chicken. I wish I could give up the locations for you.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #37
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

what on earth is South of the border lol,mmmm more chickennny goodness!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #38
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

I'm in - looking forward to seeing you eat more than chicken

Old 08-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #39
LifeIsDis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Joining in, sounds like a fun trip! I have driven to FL from CT a few times with my family, and I remember how looooonng the drive was!

We stopped in South of the Border a few times, and you're right, it is a dump! And I haven't been there since I was a kid, so I'm sure it's gotten much worse!

Can't wait to read more!
Welcome! Happy to have you here!
Ugh, the ride is just awful. Going back home is TORTURE!
That was my first time there and I couldn't believe that it was that crappy. Haha I bet it is much worse!

Quote:
what on earth is South of the border lol,mmmm more chickennny goodness!!!
Here's the website. It is basically just a dump.
And yippee for chicken!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #40
LifeIsDis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
I'm in - looking forward to seeing you eat more than chicken
Welcome!
Haha yes I did eat a lot more than chicken!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #41
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

I am dying for the next installment! Yay for getting to Florida safe & sound!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #42
LifeIsDis

Quote:
I am dying for the next installment! Yay for getting to Florida safe & sound!
It was a very long drive but I was so excited when we finally made it to Florida.
The next installment is coming your way very soon...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #43
LifeIsDis

It's only $9 so I HAVE to get it!

So basically I flipped out after seeing the Florida welcome sign.

But we still had a little over three hours to go. BOOOO!!!

The Florida Welcome center is open till 5 and it was 4:45 when we got there. Just made it! So we parked and went inside.

SUPER EXCITED!!

Tons of people were there for the free orange or grapefruit juice. We stood in line for all of two seconds and Mum and I both got orange juice.

YUMMY!

Just got some free orange juice from the FL welcome center. Yum!

Some dudes were laughing at my Mickey ears. They were probably going to Universal. But then some girl said she liked them so it was all good.

DISNEYDISNEYDISNEY!!!!

We left there and I couldnít hold my excitement in any longer. I HAD TO GET TO DISNEY!! But before we got there, we had to go somewhere.

THE DISNEY OUTLET OF COURSE!!!!!!!!! If any of you are renting a car or driving to WDW, you HAVE to go to the Disney Outlet in St. Augustine. Itís off of Exit 318 on I-95 (you can see it from the highway). Itís two hours north of WDW, but it is so worth a trip.

So we got off of the exit, and there are so many outlets there. Good thing I saw a sign on a building that said Disney (you can see the sign from the highway) or we would have never found it.

So we parked the car and we noticed there was a Dooney & Bourke Outlet TOO! We went in there but sadly they had no Disney bags.

The Disney Outlet is inside (some outlets are outside and then some are in a little mall part inside) so we found our way and we were so overwhelmed. They had a ton of stuff! And a ton that is in the parks now for so much cheaper!

We talked to a CM named David for a while about our trip and he said he was very jealous. I was like, you live 2 hours away from Disney. How could YOU be jealous? He was very nice and he was very excited for us.

Some of the stuff they have is ridiculous. And I say ridiculous because IT IS SO CHEAP.

David (the CM) noticed my earsóMum let me wear them in! How nice of heróand while I was looking around, he came over and told me there is a section that I would love. So I looked over and all I could see was Jack Skellington. I zoomed over there and there was this little kid singing This is Halloween. I was like ďCAN I ADOPT YOU?????Ē

Mum got this jacket. Original price was $65.

Any guesses on how much it was on sale for? Any? Iíll just tell you then. NINE WHOLE DOLLARS. See what Iím saying? They have amazing stuff there so cheap.

She also got a mouse pad.

A lanyard.

And a notebook she really wanted!

And what was the grand total? $28. Thatís it. She got all of that for less than half of that jacket. And she donated to Disneyís Conservation Fund. This is why we might have taken two trips thereÖ

And of course I got some stuff! How could I not?!

I got a Christmas crewneck that I will be wearing in November!

A WDW shirt.

A Nightmare Before Christmas photo album.

And a coloring book for my cousin.

All for $30! And plus I was a very good person too and donated to the Conservation Fund. And I got a sticker for being so awesome!

We left there and we headed back out. We were in the Disney outlet for an hour! Whatevs.

Then we had about an hour to go.

Seeing billboards for disney. I'm going nuts.

ALMOST THERE!!!!

Just saw a sign for Legoland and it said Orlando's funnest theme park. Yeah, ok...
First of all, A) Not so much and B) Funnest isnít even a word.

I couldnít bear to look at the Universal signs so I could close my eyes when I saw those then I would get all excited when I saw a Disney one.

Then I saw a sign that said ďMagic KingdomÖÖ2 miles.Ē

AJKSIGKBKGSUIGSJKGUIOWTYYQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then we took a turn and we were almost at our hotel. ARE YOU KIDDING MOI?

We arenít even going through the sign. I'm heartbroken.

Yeah, we never did. I was sad and that totally ruined my whole night. I guess I could live.

We werenít staying on property yet because we didnít have enough points to stay at a DVC resort so we stayed at a DTD hotel for the night, that was actually very nice, if you are looking for an off property hotel, which I wonít be staying off property for my vacation, but thatís just me.

We stayed at Springhill Suites in the Marriot Village. There are two other hotels in the Village. The FairfieldÖand some other one that I cannot remember the name of and I am way too lazy to look it up, so if you would like to know and if it is really bothering you what the name of it is, look it up. Thatís what Google is for. And Bing. Also Yahoo, MSN, Ask.com, and other search engines. Youíre welcome.

So we checked in and the guy who checked us in told us we have some deluxe suite. And it only cost $77. Works for us!

So we took the elevator up to our room. I think it was on the 4th or 5th floor. Or maybe it was the 3rd. I HAVE NO CLUE. I donít think you can search that on Google, so letís just say it was the 4th. Wait, I think it was the 3rdÖ

We got up to our room on some unknown floor and we went inside and it was HUGE.

It was very nice and we enjoyed the room.
We had two TVs and only one of them worked. And plus they had some Disney Planning channel. Itís not like we need help planning, but still. And of course that wouldnít come in. THESE TVs!!!!

We were really hungry and at the Fairfield that had a Pizza Hut, Starbucks, and a Boarís Head. So we went over there and it was a very short walk. (All of the hotels are right next to each other.)

Mum and I both got Italian subs from Boarís HeadÖ

Öchips, and drinks. It was very good.

We got our luggage out of the car and headed back up to the room.

Mum was going to paint her nails (she was going to do a Disney theme) and she realized she didnít bring the right black (it was crackle) so she just painted them boriní olí red.

I watched Hoarding: Buried Alive (basically the same thing as Hoarders except TLC wanted their own show).

We were off to bed around 10:30. Our first full day in Disney was tomorrow!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #44
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Great TR so far! I probably couldn't stand driving 22 hours to get to Disney either but you both did great plus your mum got to eat at Chick Fill A (I am so in love with those chicken nuggets!). I bet you stopped at the WaWa in my old neck of the woods (Fredericksburg, VA). There's a Target store on that same road.

Your room for your first night near WDW looks great - and the price! If I wasn't so spoiled by staying on property at a deluxe resort, I'd stay there on our next visit.

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 08-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #45
LifeIsDis

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Great TR so far! I probably couldn't stand driving 22 hours to get to Disney either but you both did great plus your mum got to eat at Chick Fill A (I am so in love with those chicken nuggets!). I bet you stopped at the WaWa in my old neck of the woods (Fredericksburg, VA). There's a Target store on that same road.

Your room for your first night near WDW looks great - and the price! If I wasn't so spoiled by staying on property at a deluxe resort, I'd stay there on our next visit.
Thank you so much for following along so far!
Chick Fil A really made up for the 22 hour drive.
Omg, that is exactly where we stopped! How funny!
We are very spoiled by deluxe too so we will NOT be staying off property anytime soon! But Springhill Suites was very nice for an off property resort.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: