Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Cactus girl
Earning My Ears

Ecv and MK?

Ok, so we leave in 48 hours for our girls trip. DMIL's orthopedist said she needed an EVC--she has trouble with stairs, knee issues and due to a ligament separating from her foot she added a walking boot to the mix last week. Needless to say, we rented an ECV. She is very nervous about crowds, the bus and figuring out where to drive.

We are staying at the YC so Epcot and DS won't be a problem--we will just walk to those. Since she has limited mobility, are we better off leaving the ECV at the hotel for MK visits? Basically, if you have some mobility is MK easier without an ECV?
Cactus girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Earstou
The Tag Fairy sends you pixie dust to help you feel better, but we don't do AP rates!

There is still a lot of walking at MK, so with all her health issues, I wouldn't advise leaving the ecv.
Since you said she has some mobility, there are other ways to handle the problem.
1) One way is to have someone else drive the ecv when you get to a crowded area if your MIL can't handle the crowd. Then she takes it back when the congestion clears.
2) Another way some people use an ecv is to go the distance on it, then park it and walk to the nearby attractions. You don't have to worry about driving thru lines this way, which can make some people very anxious. So, for instance, you drive the ecv from the front entrance all the way to the back into Fantasyland. You find a good spot with some close rides and park the ecv. Enjoy those rides on foot, then get the ecv and move to another area.
At MK, if you want to avoid congestion, try to avoid parade times and closing time.
Also, Main Street can often be congested at other times, but at those times it's can be wall-to-wall people and hard with an ecv.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Piper
DIS Veteran

Due to the time of year, I don't think the parks will be very crowded. An ECV you rent from an outside vendor is a lot easier to drive than one in the grocery store! If she is basing her fears on that, she will find it a lot better than she thinks!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

My DH doesn't like trying to manuver an EVC inside of stores. He usually parks it nearby and uses his cane when browsing.

He uses it in all of the parks; we just try to time things so we aren't trying to move in the middle of a crowd. We wait to leave theaters, parades, and fireworks until most of the crowd has cleared.

He does get frustrated, especially at night, because people tend to not see him. We have started buying a lighted balloon and tying on the back of his chair at eye level for a walking adult. It really seems to help make him visable to other pedestrians.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
GrammyJudy
DIS Veteran

Take the ECV she will need it
Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Cactus girl
Earning My Ears

Thanks. I think this is really boiling down to a mental thing for my DMIL. DFIL had a debilitating accident a few years ago and he uses an ECV or wheelchair. As his primary care giver I don't think she wants to admit she now has some limitations too. Thanks again.
Cactus girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: