Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #31
cgh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 329

I do plan on sending a letter in the coming days. I find the whole thing rather frustrating as for summer visits you are precluded from getting anything but the most expensive annual pass which really is absurd. We loved having our 6 days this year and would have liked 7. With a small child, we spend more limited time in the park then the average Disney guest and partake of things for long lengths of time that the average Disney guest may not. (ie. 1 hour plus at Tom Sawyer, Toontown, Redcreek Nature Trail. For many of these it was 1.5 hours or more. Our typical park day is 7:30-11:30 and 5-7:30. (with some exceptions). We definitely like the option of poking into the park for a little bit-perhaps on arrival day and departure day?

We also prefer to get our wish list of items done before shopping. This year, with how the park tickets worked out that meant looking around World of Disney but finding out that the Carsland merchandise we wanted was only in the park (with a hefty fee to go in).

We like traveling and enjoying vacation at a leisurely pace-if we have to rush to get things done we as a family won't enjoy it as much. It definitely won't make a yearly trip a possibility-we'd need more time to recover!

When we are there-we spend money. Carthay Circle, 3 character meals, photopass plus, souvenirs (time willing), upper floor view hotel rooms, sit down meals. In our past visit 100% of the time we were at the hotel we were spending our money at Disney.
__________________
cgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #32
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,698

Quote:
I'm saying this due to reading about issues with it at WDW on the DISboards
As a frequent WDW visitor, I think most of those issues aren't nearly as big as they might seem from the DISboards perspective.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #33
jory29
DIS Veteran
 
jory29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)
Posts: 1,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
As a frequent WDW visitor, I think most of those issues aren't nearly as big as they might seem from the DISboards perspective.
This is great to hear! Thanks for posting.

CGH, you hit it right on. Leisurely can mean taking the time to stop to smell the roses, or draw a picture at the Animation Academy, etc. With a 5 day pass you don't have as much time to do so, and yes, for summer visits, the most expensive annual pass would need to be purchased so as to avoid the blackout dates, so yet another argument for an increased number of days to the current 5-day maximum that the Disneyland Resort is currently selling.
__________________
Paying our respects as a family to Mr. Walter Disney at the Partners statue is such a meaningful part of a visit to Disneyland. What a wonderful and amazing person he was.
jory29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #34
jory29
DIS Veteran
 
jory29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)
Posts: 1,440

That was fast...

I have already received an email from when I replied earlier today to a previous email from the Disneyland Resort. It was courteous and very quick on their part, and I hope this means something will pan out in the near future in regards to these tickets. I've copied and pasted it here:


Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

Your comments concerning the 6 - Day and up Park Hoppers are
appreciated. Please know that comments such as yours are taken into
consideration and we can assure you they have been shared with the
appropriate management for their review.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

***** *****
DISNEYLAND® Resort
Guest Experience Services

Edited to add: I have replied back, with a request that someone contact me personally if they do make a change in the Park Hopper passes. This is what I stated:

Dear *****,

Thank you for your prompt and courteous reply!

I will keep monitoring that DISboard thread that I posted, and hopefully the fine folks at Disneyland will be viewing it as well, to better determine how best to accommodate their guests who are such avid fans and who do spend a lot of their hard earned dollars at the Disneyland resort, who have a strong desire/need for more than a 5 day park hopper pass.

Hopefully I will be contacted personally to be let known when or if changes in Park Hopper passes take place, (and I can then let those on the DISboards know as soon as I have heard back from someone from the Disneyland Resort.)

Thank you!
__________________
Paying our respects as a family to Mr. Walter Disney at the Partners statue is such a meaningful part of a visit to Disneyland. What a wonderful and amazing person he was.

Last edited by jory29; 08-22-2012 at 02:28 PM.
jory29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
longistheday1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3

This just plain sucks. I planned my vacation before the updating of the tickets stopped and now I cannot change my flight so we will be stuck with one of our days not going to the parks and not having the cash to attend another park except maybe Knotts(meh).
I am on a strict budget for this trip I dont think I can justify $167 for my ds and I to spend one more day in the park. This is probably the only trip we will be able to take for a couple of years and so I really wanted to spend as much time as possible. I am going to email my concerns today. I can't imagine how upset my son will be when I tell him that even though we are accross the street from Disneyland that we can't go.... : (
We are going the end of Sept and I am still going to try my hardest for an extra day, it can't hurt to try I guess.
longistheday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #36
jory29
DIS Veteran
 
jory29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)
Posts: 1,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by longistheday1 View Post
This just plain sucks. I planned my vacation before the updating of the tickets stopped and now I cannot change my flight so we will be stuck with one of our days not going to the parks and not having the cash to attend another park except maybe Knotts(meh).
I am on a strict budget for this trip I dont think I can justify $167 for my ds and I to spend one more day in the park. This is probably the only trip we will be able to take for a couple of years and so I really wanted to spend as much time as possible. I am going to email my concerns today. I can't imagine how upset my son will be when I tell him that even though we are accross the street from Disneyland that we can't go.... : (
We are going the end of Sept and I am still going to try my hardest for an extra day, it can't hurt to try I guess.
I feel for you and your son. This is exactly the type of situation others are finding themselves in. I believe this is pushing people out of the parks on those other days (past the 5 day Park Hopper pass) that they are still in Anaheim for a vacation, and this isn't good for visitors to Anaheim who want to go to the parks, nor can it be good for Disneyland. Let's hope they find a win-win situation so we all can benefit.
__________________
Paying our respects as a family to Mr. Walter Disney at the Partners statue is such a meaningful part of a visit to Disneyland. What a wonderful and amazing person he was.
jory29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #37
interstate70s
DIS Veteran
 
interstate70s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilds of Western Washington
Posts: 503

When I received my welcome packet for my room reservation at the Grand Californian for September, Disney recommended that I purchase 6 day tickets, so it makes very little sense to me why they. don 't sell the ticket they themselves recommended! I most certainly will not purchase another set of tickets for additional day or two or annual pass, though I can guarantee I would have spent quite a bit of money in the parks on the 6th day. It is also very annoying as our flight does until 6pm on the day we check out.
interstate70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #38
jory29
DIS Veteran
 
jory29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)
Posts: 1,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstate70s View Post
When I received my welcome packet for my room reservation at the Grand Californian for September, Disney recommended that I purchase 6 day tickets, so it makes very little sense to me why they. don 't sell the ticket they themselves recommended! I most certainly will not purchase another set of tickets for additional day or two or annual pass, though I can guarantee I would have spent quite a bit of money in the parks on the 6th day. It is also very annoying as our flight does until 6pm on the day we check out.
Hearing all of these stories is very disheartening to me - I understand completely how when you spend a lot of money to get to Anaheim for a Disneyland vacation, that you want to be in the Parks for as long as you possibly can. Especially because your flight doesn't leave until 6pm on the day that you check out, it would be difficult for you not to be able to purchase the 6 day Park Hopper passes. Had you asked them why that recommendation was presented to you? I'm assuming it was presented before they took that option away for everyone. Good luck!
__________________
Paying our respects as a family to Mr. Walter Disney at the Partners statue is such a meaningful part of a visit to Disneyland. What a wonderful and amazing person he was.
jory29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #39
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran
 
Mommy2PrincessAbby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,919

This was my email:

We are going to be at Disneyland in December, and thankfully booked our package many months ago--with 6 day park hopppers. We have since learned that there are no park hoppers available for more than 5 days. While it doesn't affect this upcoming trip for us, this change will affect future trips--we prefer 6 days in the parks, to allow for plenty of nights to see fireworks from the hub, fantasmic and world of color, as well as the parades etc, and have found that with less than 6 days it is difficult to do this. May I suggest that you allow package purchasers to purchase park hoppers that are equal to the amount of nights they are staying at the resort plus 1 day (5 nights, 6 day hoppers.) Thank you.
__________________
hubby and I & princess Abby (10 y.o.)


Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #40
jory29
DIS Veteran
 
jory29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)
Posts: 1,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2PrincessAbby View Post
This was my email:

We are going to be at Disneyland in December, and thankfully booked our package many months ago--with 6 day park hopppers. We have since learned that there are no park hoppers available for more than 5 days. While it doesn't affect this upcoming trip for us, this change will affect future trips--we prefer 6 days in the parks, to allow for plenty of nights to see fireworks from the hub, fantasmic and world of color, as well as the parades etc, and have found that with less than 6 days it is difficult to do this. May I suggest that you allow package purchasers to purchase park hoppers that are equal to the amount of nights they are staying at the resort plus 1 day (5 nights, 6 day hoppers.) Thank you.
Thanks for sharing that with us. I am glad you got in on the 6 day passes for your trip this time. My only concern with a request for those staying at the Disneyland Resorts potentially being allowed to match up their number of nights spent at the Resort hotels with the ideal number of days is that for so many, (including myself) when we travel to Anaheim to see Disneyland, the expense of getting over there costs so much (flight, etc.) that we really can not afford to stay in the Disneyland Resort hotels. It would be nice if they could match Disneyland Resort and Good Neighbor hotels, etc. with ideal number of nights but that would probably get so tricky to determine who was staying where, and when. It is a great idea to allow people as much time in the parks as their hotel stay allows, and I hope that the Disneyland Resort is understanding of how necessary it is for their guests to feel satisfied with the number of days purchased in their Park Hopper passes.
__________________
Paying our respects as a family to Mr. Walter Disney at the Partners statue is such a meaningful part of a visit to Disneyland. What a wonderful and amazing person he was.
jory29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #41
MICKEYFIL
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 199

Sent the following a few minutes ago....

I had intended bringing my extended family to your 'Vacation Destination' in May. This would involve nine individuals, three rooms along with numerous events and meals. I see by your website that we can no longer purchase tickets for the duration we had intended on travelling (7 days) and instead will be limited to five days. What was the reasoning behind limiting families travelling considerable distances to shortened experiences? May I suggest allowing individuals from outside of the Southern California area the ability to purchase these extended stay tickets.

What I found really funny was that in the response area they ask what is the duration of your intended stay and they provide the option of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 days along with 1, 2 and 3 weeks. Do they have tickets for those durations?
MICKEYFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #42
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 3,403

I agree that it doesn't make sense from a business perspective for Disney not to offer 6 and 7 day tickets for Disneyland, and it would be very disappointing for those tickets not to be available to me if I wanted them.

Also, it doesn't make sense for Disney to offer these 6 and 7 day tickets for as tiny a price bump as they used to. What would probably make sense from a business perspective (after looking over current pricing and cost per day and some other numbers) would be for a 6-day ticket to cost $320 and a 7-day ticket to cost $350. Better yet from the Disney end of things would be to push 5-day hoppers up from $290 to $300, then 6-days for $325 and 7-days for $350.

As for the fraud thing, if this truly is the reason they aren't offering longer length parkhoppers and not just a line they're feeding everyone, then there are certainly ways around it. It seems like the biometric scanners might be a pricier investment than is truly necessary for Disneyland considering its demographics, ratio of passholders to hoppers to day guests. There are certainly other things they can do though. Not all of these may be the easiest fix from the consumer standpoint, but Disney could certainly require a 6-day or 7-day ticket holder to show more proof of ownership of these tickets. One thing they can do is make 6-day and 7-day tickets only available as upgrades from 5-day tickets for instance. Yes, a bit of a pain for the ticket-holder, but if you really want that 6th and 7th day, you will go to the trouble. Six day and seven day tickets could also then be flagged in the system to have the ticket holder show ID when entering the parks. It's what any AP holder has to do until their picture is taken and entered into the system. Also, there are probably programs that can be written to track who is actually buying these passes, and Disney as a business should have the right to refuse to sell to someone upgrading tickets in suspiciously large quantities or high frequencies.

For all we know, Disney is already looking at this problem and figuring out how to make it work so the customers can get the number of days they want and Disney can get the financial satisfaction they want. If enough demand is there and Disney figures out how to make it worth it to their bottom line, it seems that six and seven day passes would return.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #43
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern New Jersey
Posts: 624

My boyfriend and I visit Disneyland every other year from NEW JERSEY! We stay 7-8 nights at a Disney resort, usually the Grand Californian, premium (theme park) view. To not be allowed to purchase a "length of stay" (7-8 days) pass for the parks is INSANE! I hope this policy changes before our upcoming vacation in May 2013!
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
jory29
DIS Veteran
 
jory29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)
Posts: 1,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
I agree that it doesn't make sense from a business perspective for Disney not to offer 6 and 7 day tickets for Disneyland, and it would be very disappointing for those tickets not to be available to me if I wanted them.

Also, it doesn't make sense for Disney to offer these 6 and 7 day tickets for as tiny a price bump as they used to. What would probably make sense from a business perspective (after looking over current pricing and cost per day and some other numbers) would be for a 6-day ticket to cost $320 and a 7-day ticket to cost $350. Better yet from the Disney end of things would be to push 5-day hoppers up from $290 to $300, then 6-days for $325 and 7-days for $350.

As for the fraud thing, if this truly is the reason they aren't offering longer length parkhoppers and not just a line they're feeding everyone, then there are certainly ways around it. It seems like the biometric scanners might be a pricier investment than is truly necessary for Disneyland considering its demographics, ratio of passholders to hoppers to day guests. There are certainly other things they can do though. Not all of these may be the easiest fix from the consumer standpoint, but Disney could certainly require a 6-day or 7-day ticket holder to show more proof of ownership of these tickets. One thing they can do is make 6-day and 7-day tickets only available as upgrades from 5-day tickets for instance. Yes, a bit of a pain for the ticket-holder, but if you really want that 6th and 7th day, you will go to the trouble. Six day and seven day tickets could also then be flagged in the system to have the ticket holder show ID when entering the parks. It's what any AP holder has to do until their picture is taken and entered into the system. Also, there are probably programs that can be written to track who is actually buying these passes, and Disney as a business should have the right to refuse to sell to someone upgrading tickets in suspiciously large quantities or high frequencies.

For all we know, Disney is already looking at this problem and figuring out how to make it work so the customers can get the number of days they want and Disney can get the financial satisfaction they want. If enough demand is there and Disney figures out how to make it worth it to their bottom line, it seems that six and seven day passes would return.
I bolded the part I wanted to comment on. The perks for Disneyland with a tiny price bump means that many guests who had not thought of or planned for more than 5 days may very well stay in the park for 6 or 7 days instead of 5 days once they see the small price bump, and spend more money in the parks, which can only mean more profit for Disneyland. We have always appreciated that the price bump was reasonably priced, as we knew that to feed a family of 4 in the parks for a few more days would add up, so we greatly valued the savings that a higher than 5 day pass offered us. Also, ticket prices have continually gone up every single year since we have been going for the past 7 years as a family. I understand upgrades, etc. cost money, but know that they are still profiting from selling the 'more than 5 day' park passes. I for one would really love it if they bring them back, but still with the same reasonable cost to add on days, as before.

Your idea about the upgrading at the park seems plausible for sure - I would be willing to do that if it would help them to keep supporting the 6, 7, etc. day passes (that are longer than the 5 day passes.)

I still think a quick (paper sticker) photo and signature added to the park hoppers once in the parks for the first visit could work, and would be cheaper than biometric devices installations, but, would also take a considerable amount of time for guests. I would be game for this, if it were set up in such a way.
__________________
Paying our respects as a family to Mr. Walter Disney at the Partners statue is such a meaningful part of a visit to Disneyland. What a wonderful and amazing person he was.
jory29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #45
jory29
DIS Veteran
 
jory29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)
Posts: 1,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEYFIL View Post
Sent the following a few minutes ago....

I had intended bringing my extended family to your 'Vacation Destination' in May. This would involve nine individuals, three rooms along with numerous events and meals. I see by your website that we can no longer purchase tickets for the duration we had intended on travelling (7 days) and instead will be limited to five days. What was the reasoning behind limiting families travelling considerable distances to shortened experiences? May I suggest allowing individuals from outside of the Southern California area the ability to purchase these extended stay tickets.

What I found really funny was that in the response area they ask what is the duration of your intended stay and they provide the option of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 days along with 1, 2 and 3 weeks. Do they have tickets for those durations?
They currently only have the 5 day Park Hopper passes available. You would have to add on other days at regular ticket cost with the system they currently have in place, as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&Lfan View Post
My boyfriend and I visit Disneyland every other year from NEW JERSEY! We stay 7-8 nights at a Disney resort, usually the Grand Californian, premium (theme park) view. To not be allowed to purchase a "length of stay" (7-8 days) pass for the parks is INSANE! I hope this policy changes before our upcoming vacation in May 2013!
I hope Disneyland has gotten someone to monitor this thread, so they can see the level of dissatisfaction with their new ticket protocol of offering nothing of longer duration than a 5 day Park Hopper.
__________________
Paying our respects as a family to Mr. Walter Disney at the Partners statue is such a meaningful part of a visit to Disneyland. What a wonderful and amazing person he was.
jory29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: