Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
tinkerbellmagic
don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

Hi, I'm enjoying your trip report very much. You certainly did have your hands full on departure day. I know what you mean about finally getting through security and feeling like you can finally (kind of) relax. Oh, what a bummer about your room with the king bed. It did sound like you had a knack for making lemonade out of lemons, though, so I have to hand it to you for that.

I can imagine how scared you were when your little guy was missing. Yikes! Glad that he made it back safe and sound.
One of the tricks I did with my grandson when I used to take him and it was just the two of us, was I would write down all our info (cell phone #, my name, resort we were staying at etc) on a piece of masking tape with a black sharpie and tape it to his shirt under the arm pit area so others could not readily read it, but I knew it was there in case we got separated. I would have a new piece of tape for each day we were there, written out before we even left home. I would write it all out and then just wind the tape back on the roll to pack up and then rip off each piece for each new day as needed. It was always very helpful, but it sounds like your little guy had a plan of his own.

You guys had a full first day. No wonder you were so exhausted at the end of the day.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #17
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your TR. Your DH is like mine...he does not like disney either I can totally relate to DS running off. My DS was a runner too when he was a toddler My mom was watching him one day and they were outside and DS took off running and my mom cannot run (two hip replacements) and she lived on a busy street Needless to say he finally stop running away from her and toward her

Cannot wait to read more

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellmagic View Post
Hi, I'm enjoying your trip report very much. You certainly did have your hands full on departure day. I know what you mean about finally getting through security and feeling like you can finally (kind of) relax. Oh, what a bummer about your room with the king bed. It did sound like you had a knack for making lemonade out of lemons, though, so I have to hand it to you for that.

I can imagine how scared you were when your little guy was missing. Yikes! Glad that he made it back safe and sound.
One of the tricks I did with my grandson when I used to take him and it was just the two of us, was I would write down all our info (cell phone #, my name, resort we were staying at etc) on a piece of masking tape with a black sharpie and tape it to his shirt under the arm pit area so others could not readily read it, but I knew it was there in case we got separated. I would have a new piece of tape for each day we were there, written out before we even left home. I would write it all out and then just wind the tape back on the roll to pack up and then rip off each piece for each new day as needed. It was always very helpful, but it sounds like your little guy had a plan of his own.

You guys had a full first day. No wonder you were so exhausted at the end of the day.
Thank you! We definitely went with the flow several times on this trip! That's a great idea about the masking tape!!! I was also going to do those tattoos that I've seen where you can put them anywhere and write your info on them! Yes....our travel day was long....usually we just hit DTD on that day...but since we were so close to Epcot, I thought it would be fun to go there! Thanks for reading!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OThopeful35 View Post
Enjoying your TR. Your DH is like mine...he does not like disney either I can totally relate to DS running off. My DS was a runner too when he was a toddler My mom was watching him one day and they were outside and DS took off running and my mom cannot run (two hip replacements) and she lived on a busy street Needless to say he finally stop running away from her and toward her

Cannot wait to read more
Thank you! What is it with DH's who don't like Disney And I know about DS running from Grandma's....last year my DS went outside without my mom....it took her 15 minutes to find him. However...I used to run away....so I'm guessing it's Karma for me! I'm hoping next trip we don't have that problem!! Getting ready to post another right now!! Thanks for reading!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Tusker House Breakfast

Our alarm went off at 7 am...and boy...was I tired!! All night I slept with two kids who have to sleep right next to me.... Now don't get me wrong...I love my children....but I love my sleep also!!

As I had mentioned, DD was getting a cold. It was worse today...I could tell her head was just full. So I gave her some tylenol to help with the miserable feeling! DS was just cranky....he didn't want to get up. This was our only morning we HAD to be somewhere....so I pretty much told them to suck it up and lets go!!

Our ADR at Tusker House was at 8:25. We were at the bus stop by 7:20 am. Of course, we had to wait about 10 min. for the bus, and then there were two wheelchairs. So by the time they got them all loaded it was like 7:45 when we pulled out of the Beach Club. I was a bit nervous we would be late!

DD was always cold!! I should have brought a sweater for restaurants, shows inside, and the bus!!

However, we got to the Animal Kingdom at 8:00 am and pretty much walked right back to Tusker House.

We did have to stop to get a picture first....which DS wanted NO part of!!

We got to the restaurant to this...

Ugh....however...the line moved fairly fast. We skipped our picture with Donald and went right in for breakfast! I was anxious to see how Carson would do with the characters. He hated Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and Mary Poppins....would he like the Disney Characters??!!

We got seated and noticed the characters weren't out yet for the morning, so I immediately went up and got the kids some food. When I came back....they were waiting for Mickey!

Carson must have been excited because he had his autograph book out and ready!! Then they got their first glimpse of Mickey....and Carson was SO EXCITED! Mickey game over and they got his autograph and a picture!

As soon as Mickey left...DH and I took turns going to get our food! I wasn't that hungry....had a little biscuit and gravy, a half of a donut, banana, tator tots, and bacon! DH ate TONS!! He had about everything and loved it all! Kids didn't eat really well...how could they...too much going on!!

Next came Daisy....

Then Goofy! DS almost knocked him over he hugged him so hard!

The kids started to participate in the parade...but then chickened out. We got our bill at about 8:50...and went out the door at 8:57!! Perfect timing!

Stood by the rope to go get FP for the Safari. I didn't get a picture...but LOL...I've seen pics before where you turn around and see CM's leading a PACK of people to the Safari...it isn't intimidating until you're there!! I was like..."Crap...we're going to get trampled!!"

At 9 am on the dot, they moved the rope and I immediately went and got a FP for the Safari...and then we went and rode Stand by! I know this is one ride DH really likes...so I was glad we'd have a chance to ride it twice!

By the time we got through the line...we waited maybe 5 minutes and were loaded into a truck!

We got to see a bunch of animals....but I kind of missed the poaching theme!

When we got off, we were going to ride again, but DD DID NOT want to ride again. It was like 9:30....no shows were starting til 10:30....so we decided to head to Camp Minnie and Mickey to see if any Characters were out...needless to say....this would be one of the BEST decisions we had ever made.......!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Family of the Day!!

We head towards Camp Minnie/Mickey....only to find it roped off. We saw it didn't open til 10:00 am. We were a tad bummed....mainly because we didn't want to walk anywhere to do something else!

Just as we turned around, a cast member approached us and asked if we would like to be the Family of the Day for Camp Minnie-Mickey!!! I of course said, "YES!!" DH wasn't as thrilled! She immediately told us to follow her! She took us through Pizzafari which took us past the rope towards Camp Minnie-Mickey! As soon as we got over the bridge, we could see Chip and Dale!! The kids took off for them, where they got hugs, autographs, and pictures!!

And YES...even DH got a hug!! (and he's smiling..ssshhh....don't tell his friends!!)

After pictures, the kids got to help Chip and Dale raise the camp flag!! They had so much much!!

We said our goodbyes to Chip and Dale...and we got led to where the other Characters were going to come out! After about 10 minutes....we got to meet Mickey and Minnie all by ourselves!!! The kids were in heaven!!

(One of my Favorite Pics!!)

We even got a nice family picture while we were waiting!

Then the photopass lady took us to where Pocahontas would be standing...so we were first in line for her! We met her last trip...but this Pocahontas wasn't in character as much as the previous one! Kids still liked her...Even Carson!!

After meeting her....it was like 10:20 am....Festival of the Lion King (one of my favorites) would be starting...and we had front row seats!!!!

Since we were front row...Callie got to go help and be a part of the show. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good picture...here is one of her running to her seat...so happy!!

We all LOVED the show!! Everytime a monkey would run past us...they would interact with the kids...they were both loving it!! It's just such a neat show!

When it was over....we decided to head to It's Tough to be a Bug. Now DS HATES real bugs...what would he think of the show?? What a fun morning we had all ready!!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #21
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Glad to see your DS wasn't afraid of the characters! Looks like the kids were having soo much fun. We love Tusker House breakfast.

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
Old 08-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
we3travellers
Mouseketeer

I'm in! Followed you over from the "NOT impressed with the BC" thread hoping you will restore my enthusiasm! We are hoping to stay here next year, however my DH is a little like yours...every 3 or 4 years will do. He likes Disney, but doesn't find it relaxing, no matter how much pool time we get in. He prefers a beach so we are currently alternating years. We were at CSR Aug 7-14 so experienced the same hot weather. Did AKL in 2010. I am a little sneaky and have plans to book for late 2013 and will just say it has been more than a year! Plus we will be doing a cruise in April (not DCL), so that counts as his in between trip.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #23
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Jumping on board, looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

It's been awhile since I traveled with little ones, but I remember all too well how stressful it was flying when the kids were little, the crowds in the airport made me nervous and we also never knew how the kids would take the flight. My fear was always that I would have that screaming child that everyone on the plane wanted to strangle

How exciting that you guys got to be the family of the day at Camp Minnie Mickey! Surely the excitement on your kids faces melted Grumpy a little bit!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OThopeful35 View Post
Glad to see your DS wasn't afraid of the characters! Looks like the kids were having soo much fun. We love Tusker House breakfast.
They LOVED all the characters!! I hear ya on Tusker House...we weren't going to do it this trip....and then at the last minute I changed my mind and booked it...glad I did!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3travellers View Post
I'm in! Followed you over from the "NOT impressed with the BC" thread hoping you will restore my enthusiasm! We are hoping to stay here next year, however my DH is a little like yours...every 3 or 4 years will do. He likes Disney, but doesn't find it relaxing, no matter how much pool time we get in. He prefers a beach so we are currently alternating years. We were at CSR Aug 7-14 so experienced the same hot weather. Did AKL in 2010. I am a little sneaky and have plans to book for late 2013 and will just say it has been more than a year! Plus we will be doing a cruise in April (not DCL), so that counts as his in between trip.
Exactly...that is the problem with my DH...he finds NOTHING relaxing about it. He just hates always being on the go....I really tried to be more relaxed and go with the flow on the trip just for him! I think our next trip will be by the beach or something...I know the kids would enjoy it too!

Neat we were there the same time! It was hot....even at night I thought it was bad!

Good for you for having plans for 2013. I'm not sure when our next trip will be...I'd like to go sometime in October...if we did this...it wouldn't be as long of a trip. But maybe with lower crowds, we could get just as much done!

Have fun on your cruise...I'm not quite sure I could do one...we may try a short one when the kids get older!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Jumping on board, looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

It's been awhile since I traveled with little ones, but I remember all too well how stressful it was flying when the kids were little, the crowds in the airport made me nervous and we also never knew how the kids would take the flight. My fear was always that I would have that screaming child that everyone on the plane wanted to strangle

How exciting that you guys got to be the family of the day at Camp Minnie Mickey! Surely the excitement on your kids faces melted Grumpy a little bit!
EXACTLY!! I was afraid Carson was going to scream or cry or something. But he did really well. DH went into thinking Carson was going to try to get up and run around....but we just told Carson that the "cops" say you have to have your seatbelt on...and that was that!!

And I think you're right...I did see many smiles on Grumpy!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #25
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Where is that boy now?!?!

On the way to It's Tough to be a Bug....I made everyone stop for a picture!!

Our original plan was DH and DD would do It's Tough to be a Bug. I've seen too many kids scream their heads off...and beings DS is afraid of real bugs...I was sure the show wouldn't go over well with him. However, as he and I were going to part from DD and DH, he started screaming bloody murder that he wanted to go. So I said, "Whatever....he'll just join the other kiddos crying!" We had about a 5 minute wait.

DD and I always have to take a picture with our glasses!!

The show started...DH had DS on his lap...and he did just fine!! He buried his head when the scary bugs came...but didn't cry or scream!! I think DD was more scared that he was, and she has seen it several times!

After that, we headed to Dino Land. The kids were begging for a ride...so we did Triceratop Spin. Had maybe a 5 min. wait.

Carson was in heaven!! However, he got mad at his sister who wanted to go up and down...and he wanted to stay up the entire ride!

After that, they wanted to play. So we went into the Boneyard. While DH had it under control (so I thought) I ran to the restroom. When I came back, DH and DD were both searching for DS...again! The good part....at least we knew he was in the play area...we just didn't know where. That boy...I tell you what!! It took a good 10 minutes of them searching til they finally found him.

Callie really wanted to do the fossil find...so we headed to that area. Carson lasted a whole 5 minutes before he threw sand at a little girl and I kicked him out!!

After this, we were hot and ready to go! We had a reservation for Rainforest at 1:00 pm...(it was 12:15) but we thought we'd see if they could get us in...sure enough...we were seated by 12:30 pm! The kids loved all the decorations!

Carson didn't like the "storm" but I think it was because we were sitting by the Monkey's and they got SO loud!

The kids split chicken nuggets and Marty and I just split the Nachos for 2 appetizer. We weren't that hungry from breakfast!

After lunch we were ready to go. We headed to the bus and had to wait about 10 minute for the bus. Then...we had to wait another 20 minutes or longer because they were switching drivers. We still had to make like 4 stops before we were "home!" It was one of our longest bus rides...we were all hot and cranky!!

When we got back to the hotel, the kids and I swam for about an hour. Then everyone laid down and napped. DH and the kids slept about 3 hours!!! I closed my eyes for a bit and then read my Kindle for the remainder of the time. We took our time getting ready....as we were heading to EMH at Magic Kingdom. Would we make it all night?!?!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #26
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

I have never been one to believe in leashes (as I was lucky and my daughter didn't run away), but after the gift shop, I would have run, not walked, until I found somewhere to buy one!! You poor thing, I am sure your heart stopped until he showed back up!!

How awesome that you were family of the day for Camp Minnie, Mickey!! You accomplished a lot in a few hours!!

Looking forward to more adventures!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #27
wdwfamilyinIL
DIS Veteran

In reading your review I can't get over how much your hubby is like mine, well other than mine is the disney addict. He never smiles for pictures unless forced, the kids always sleep with me, snores, and the list goes on. We also "lost" our youngest at Pop one year for about 20 minutes when he was 3. I love reading what you write, it takes me back a few years.

ASM 05,06POP 07,08
POFQ 09,10
Disney Dream May 11
POR JUNE 11
Old 08-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #28
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
I have never been one to believe in leashes (as I was lucky and my daughter didn't run away), but after the gift shop, I would have run, not walked, until I found somewhere to buy one!! You poor thing, I am sure your heart stopped until he showed back up!!

How awesome that you were family of the day for Camp Minnie, Mickey!! You accomplished a lot in a few hours!!

Looking forward to more adventures!
I went back and forth...back and forth on the leash...and at the last minute went against it! However....now that I look back on it...I probably wouldn't have had it on him just in the gift shop!! But it did wake me up that I need to either have his hand or pick him up while I was doing something!! Definitely lesson learned! I am glad though it happened there and not at a park! Oh...there is definitely more adventures...stay tuned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfamilyinIL View Post
In reading your review I can't get over how much your hubby is like mine, well other than mine is the disney addict. He never smiles for pictures unless forced, the kids always sleep with me, snores, and the list goes on. We also "lost" our youngest at Pop one year for about 20 minutes when he was 3. I love reading what you write, it takes me back a few years.
LOL at our hubbys being alike!!! Sorry you lost your child once too....it's so scary!! I just felt helpless! I'm glad it takes you back....I can't WAIT until we don't have to deal with a stroller while we go. I think next time we'll have to take a single...and then that's it...no more stroller!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #29
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I'm amazed that your little guy did so well in It's Tough to be a Bug! My youngest has always liked it, but my oldest was probably 12 before it didn't freak him out anymore, lol!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #30
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
I'm amazed that your little guy did so well in It's Tough to be a Bug! My youngest has always liked it, but my oldest was probably 12 before it didn't freak him out anymore, lol!
LOL! I was SO surprised too....because if he seriously sees a bug or one lands on him...he screams bloody murder!! Like I said...Callie was more scared than he was....!!! And she knew what was going on!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: