Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
brandihead2012
<3er of all things Disney!

How to make your boyfriend LOVE Disney

Thanks for reading! a little about me, I am 24, I have been to WDW more than a handful of times. It is something that I shared with my grandma before she passed away. My boyfriend however has been once. He has never ever been into the park and witnessed the magic. He has road the trains and monorail. I want to go when the Magic Kingdom is completed, HOWEVER I can not get him to agree to going. Can anyone suggest anyways to make him WANT to go. I know he would for me=, but i want to make sure he has a good time as well. Suggestions please?!?!

Sparking up the Romance at WDW...March 2013 Trip Report for Lovers
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3009981&page=8

He finally said YES to Disney, a ptr for March 2013
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009981

998 picture, 10 pairs of Shoes 2 Girls.. completed TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post25194679
brandihead2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

I'm afraid if he isn't into it, then he isn't into it. That's why so many of us are single -- we've been through that already, and are not willing to compromise again on something that is so important to us. (Been there, married that!)

Really your only choices are to accept that he doesn't want to go and never go again, go without him, or cut your losses now. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
lovindisney4ever
Disney Addict

I took my boyfriend for the first time this year. I am Disney OBSESSED so he knew that eventually I was going to drag him. He knew how important it was to me so he went to make me happy. But I tried to plan things that I knew he would enjoy also. I see from your picture that you guys are Michigan fans (GO BLUE!!!), so obviously he is a sports fan. When you make your trip go to Wide World of Sports, take him to the sports shop at Downtown Disney, find restaurants that offer his favorite foods, etc. My boyfriend loves the thrill rides so I made sure that we hit all of them. We ended up having a great time, he didn't promise to ever go back but he said he was glad that he experienced it atleast once and that I can go with the kids or someone else next time, lol! Good luck at getting him there
Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
brandihead2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I'm afraid if he isn't into it, then he isn't into it. That's why so many of us are single -- we've been through that already, and are not willing to compromise again on something that is so important to us. (Been there, married that!)

Really your only choices are to accept that he doesn't want to go and never go again, go without him, or cut your losses now. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Right, I told my mom, i was going to have to start dating through the Disboards :S ha, thank you for your input.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
brandihead2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney4ever View Post
I took my boyfriend for the first time this year. I am Disney OBSESSED so he knew that eventually I was going to drag him. He knew how important it was to me so he went to make me happy. But I tried to plan things that I knew he would enjoy also. I see from your picture that you guys are Michigan fans (GO BLUE!!!), so obviously he is a sports fan. When you make your trip go to Wide World of Sports, take him to the sports shop at Downtown Disney, find restaurants that offer his favorite foods, etc. My boyfriend loves the thrill rides so I made sure that we hit all of them. We ended up having a great time, he didn't promise to ever go back but he said he was glad that he experienced it atleast once and that I can go with the kids or someone else next time, lol! Good luck at getting him there
Such good ideas! I looked into Golfing, he loved to golf. I get the planning videos and show him the things we could do. I also thought about buying him a lanyard to get him interested in the pin trading. Thank you for your suggestion!!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
DISaholic's
Mouseketeer

My suggestion is to find what he loves and then find what in Disney can fit.
Ie:
  • Does he love to eat? Go during Food and Wine Festival or get the deluxe dining experience.
  • Does he love cars? Get him the Super Car driving experience
  • Does he love beer? Do Beers around the World at Epcot.
  • Does he love music? Check out who is playing at the House of Blues in DTD and get tkts.
  • Does he like to fish and the outdoors? Stay in the Ft Wilderness Cabins and rent a boat to go fishing.
  • Does he like sports? Many National League teams use the WW of Sports Complex for fall/spring training. Go during that time.
  • Is he an exercise nut? Sign him up for one of the awesome disney running races.
Use one of the above ideas to just get him there then
Once you get him in the door...don't go commando through the parks and make him try on funny hats if thats not his thing. Take your time, take lots of breaks and make the trip fit his personality. If it doesnt' work out well you can't say you didn't try, but I'd say try first!

1974 Contemporary, 1976 Polynesian, 1981 Disney Village, 1983 Offsite
1984 One day EPCOT, 1990 Disney Inn - Honeymoon
1993 Dixie Landings, 1997 Dixie Landings, 1999 Dixie Landings (Now PORS)
2002 Boardwalk
2006 POP/OKW
2010 POR/OKW
2012 CBR and 2012 WDW Marathon finisher
2013 CBR and 2013 WDW Marathon finsiher
2013 Disney Cruise - Disney Dream

Upcoming January 2014 Disney Dream Cruise - Nephew's wedding onboard
DISaholic's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
mrFDNY
I'll be back mrFDNY. I have my eye on you! *~*The Tag Fairy*~*
Has yet to meet any DISers. Could it be his deodorant?
I just freak out like a little 4 y/o girl in pig tails

Hi gang,
While i'm a 34 year old man who was born with the disney bug, i know others are'nt always disney nuts like us. I found this out when my sister in law expressed wanting to take thier 2 girls, my nieces with us on a trip. My brtoher in law was not interrested at all. So me ,my wife and siter in law came up with a plan. To him disney was rides like its a small world or peter pn and he was not interested in those. I put the " male spin" on disney for him.

We had them over to dinner and i was showing him some of the more male friendly things to do in Wdw. First off, he loves to play golf, so i showed him disney championship golf courses. I showed him how you can drink around the world in epcot and guys and beer, enough said, right?

He likes water parks, so i showed him the 2 multi award winning water parks disney has, all the thrill and roller coasters disney has. The fishing excrusion you can do and so on. The next day they booked a trip with us. Since then, they go with us every year.

You need to put the " male spin" of disney and introduce him to it. Good luck!

The few,the proud,dis men!

Remember- " All gave some, But some gave all", SEPT 11,2001
mrFDNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
brandihead2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISaholic's View Post
My suggestion is to find what he loves and then find what in Disney can fit.
Ie:
  • Does he love to eat? Go during Food and Wine Festival or get the deluxe dining experience.
  • Does he love cars? Get him the Super Car driving experience
  • Does he love beer? Do Beers around the World at Epcot.
  • Does he love music? Check out who is playing at the House of Blues in DTD and get tkts.
  • Does he like to fish and the outdoors? Stay in the Ft Wilderness Cabins and rent a boat to go fishing.
  • Does he like sports? Many National League teams use the WW of Sports Complex for fall/spring training. Go during that time.
  • Is he an exercise nut? Sign him up for one of the awesome disney running races.
Use one of the above ideas to just get him there then
Once you get him in the door...don't go commando through the parks and make him try on funny hats if thats not his thing. Take your time, take lots of breaks and make the trip fit his personality. If it doesnt' work out well you can't say you didn't try, but I'd say try first!
Thank you, Might have to try the funny hats! Once I get him there, I think how happy I am he will be content as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFDNY View Post
Hi gang,
While i'm a 34 year old man who was born with the disney bug, i know others are'nt always disney nuts like us. I found this out when my sister in law expressed wanting to take thier 2 girls, my nieces with us on a trip. My brtoher in law was not interrested at all. So me ,my wife and siter in law came up with a plan. To him disney was rides like its a small world or peter pn and he was not interested in those. I put the " male spin" on disney for him.

We had them over to dinner and i was showing him some of the more male friendly things to do in Wdw. First off, he loves to play golf, so i showed him disney championship golf courses. I showed him how you can drink around the world in epcot and guys and beer, enough said, right?

He likes water parks, so i showed him the 2 multi award winning water parks disney has, all the thrill and roller coasters disney has. The fishing excrusion you can do and so on. The next day they booked a trip with us. Since then, they go with us every year.

You need to put the " male spin" of disney and introduce him to it. Good luck!
Thank you for putting the male spin on this! I appreciate your feedback! I think Epcot is going to be easy, as well as AK and Studio. MK is going to be so hard though. I bought Disneyland Kinect and he plays that with me, so there might be some hope!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

As a former BF (now DH) I would say show him how important it is to you and the love of Disney will follow
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
ladyelenawf
Never too old to be treated like a Princess!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
As a former BF (now DH) I would say show him how important it is to you and the love of Disney will follow

I just want to thank you for giving me hope.

LLT2 24OCT-09NOV WL & sharing WDW w/ fiancé 08-14 DEC 2014 SS
Crazy Christmas Tour 02-08Dec 2012 POR Princess Room!!, Ladies & Liquor Tour: 23Sep-06Oct 2012 AKL,
Dec 2010 Off Site, Feb 2006 AKL, May 1999 FW-C
ladyelenawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
GraceMonica
DIS Veteran

Im in the same boat. My BF has been once and all he remembers is space mountain. So, I'm planning a trip for just the two of us! (I've never been without family or a big group of people, so its going to be different for me as well) Im in the process of showing him the Disney Parks Dvds and other Disney related things to get him excited. Im also going to get his input on the meals we should eat, since we both love to eat. I want to go for 8 nights/nine days, so a Saturday to a Sunday and spend the first portion of the trip in a value resort doing 5 or 6 park days...and the last weekend there in a moderate resort so we can relax without parks. Only way I can justify staying in a moderate!

Our trip wouldn't be until late summer/fall of next year, so I have a lot of time to get him excited about it. Plus, I told him id pay for most of it ...that's how I got him to agree in the first place! (He's saving up for a house...so im saving up for the vacation!)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

My advice is kind of negative but I think it's important. Be very careful about how you go about this because you can easily go from suggestions to pestering. Good luck though!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
lilsk8nmac
Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel addict!

over two years ago, my bf was the same way. But he started to see how passionate I was about it and how much I loved it. He also heard the music to illuminations RoE and fell in love with it (he's a musician). Well that combined was what did it. It started to click for him. We are going for the first time together this summer and I cannot wait to show him the rest of the magic that Disney entails.

There are some out there that might never come around to your love of disney, but there are some that will, you just have to find a way to incorporate it with something they love and see if it sticks.
I wish you luck!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
brandihead2012

Thank you all for your advice!! This is why I love the dis!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

As others mentioned.... There is so much beyond the Magic Kingdom and princesses at the resort which he may find interesting. For a guy who's not into "Disney", often it's just not totally realizing all that it really has to offer.

So.... You know him, so think about what he might enjoy doing.

Does he Enjoy fishing? Try a fishing excursion.
golf? Disney has several great courses onsite.
Watersports? Go Jet Skiing or Parasailing on Bay Lake.
Regular sports? Wide World of Sports has a lot to offer, including the affore mentioned Spring Training games.

Food and Wine can be a blast, including drinking around the world.

The biggest general suggestions would be to not only figure out what he likes to do, and potential activities at the Resorts that would appeal to those interests.... But also just relax and don't force it or have him running around trying to do everything. If he likes you and understands your Disney obsession, it may not be super difficult to get him to actually agree to go once....even if it's just to share something you enjoy. If you run him ragged however and he doesn't have the opportunity to really enjoy the place, there is no guaranteeing he'd be willing to do it again.

The other big suggestion would be to make EPCOT your first park. The reason I usually suggest this for people looking to introduce their Male friends to the wonderful world that is Disney is because quite often....in large part because of Disney's own advertising.... A lot of guys only see Disney as a kid's or girl's destination with it's Princesses and Castles and 'boring' rides like Small World and Dumbo. EPCOT is a much more Adult park than the Magic Kingdom which can help expose them to all that Disney has to offer, without the overdose and system shock of Fantasyland and princesses. They can also enjoy exploring the different countries and the beverages which can be sampled....... So it ultimately is a really good way to ease someone into Disney and keep their mind open.

Something that can be quite easily forgotten, is that if someone comes in with the preconceived idea that Disney is just Castles, princesses, and lots of kids and cartoon characters....Rushing them straight into the Magic Kingdom can often just confirm what they are expecting and therefore close them off to the open mind that they'd need to truly experience the magic and enjoy themselves.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: