Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #16
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
You will all be so much happier if you let DH and DS do their own thing occassionally!

Before our trip I had made a plan and told everyone "this is what I am doing, on this day, you can come along if you want or not"

I knew that all the boys would follow and DD would choose her own thing if she wanted. This was my holiday and I didnt want anyone ruining it with whining - if they didnt want to be there, they didnt have to be.
Except for one day when DD stayed at the resort instead of Typhoon Lagoon - they all followed me.!

Oh and make sure to go on Forbidden Journey -

I am a scaredy cat and loved it.!
I love your attitude about "this is what I'm doing, come or don't come". I often feel like that but don't verbalise it . No one else wants a bar of the planning but they expect to see and do everything. It's quite alot of pressure. So I genuinely appreciate you sharing what worked for you. It's a constant battle lol.

Glad to hear that a scaredy cat liked FJ, I'm definitely doing it, if my butt fits into the seat .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
What an absolutely amazing trip you have planned! It all sounds like great fun.
I agree with Andona - the family should love KSC once they get there. When we went I was the keen one and my travelling commpanion not so. Guess who had the best time there!!??
And I can't wait to see the beautiful photos I know you will bring back from the Christmas decorations at WDW!
I can't wait to see the Christmas decorations, fingers crossed I can do them justice in images. I seriously doubt whether the magnificence can be captured but I'll sure try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline NZ View Post
Fantastic trip planned Ms Shuttergirl. I loved reading your trip report last time, and seeing all your wonderful photos. I always giggle when you say your husband is the shopper and you dislike it. That's the complete opposite to us
Looking forward to hearing more.
I know right, he is like a girl in that way. Loves to shop. And he likes to iron, go figure. And cook. I guess when I list all of that down it really makes him sound like a "keeper" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
Holy dooley! It's all so indepth!! I feel like I've already read your TR and you haven't even left yet!!!

This is such a good idea. DH is like that too, must have plenty of rest or he gets snippy The problem is, is that there's only 2 of us, and it doesn't seem right to leave one person in the hotel, while the other goes out site seeing. I mean I wouldn't mind, it's a great chance for me to go back to places I've seen and take a heap of pics, but DH doesn't like to think that the holiday is going on without him. So it means staying in the hotel to let him rest, or having a grump trail along behind me

Bleh, how frustrating!! Again I completely understand, how do they sleep so early when in Australia people would just be getting out of bed?? I'm often wide awake into the night on our holidays to the US

I still really want to go to Les Halles, but still haven't One day...

I've always wanted to go there

The room has an indoor pool!?!?!

Wow, you have an amazing trip planned! I hope it all goes well, and can't wait to read along!
Bec - hahahaha, reading my itinerary through your eyes certainly makes me sound "crazy". Can I just say though, I truly am prepared to chuck things out of the this plan if they don't suit. I've done it before, will do it again.

No I worded the pool and room info wrong. There is a pool in the hotel, not our room, unfortunately.

And as a huge disclaimer about my OCD:-

I am, in the next 2 weeks, about to hit my busiest time of the year. It will be from the beginning of September until the day we leave for the US. I'm usually slammed through Sept/Oct/Nov every other year but with me going away for 5 weeks it has stepped up the pressure enormously. I need to finish shooting clients work for Christmas delivery by end of October. This severely cuts into my "big earning" time. Severely!!! . I will also be doing sessions, most especially newborns right up until the day before I leave for the trip. I've got a session booked for the day before already. Ugh. I also don't get holiday pay so 5 weeks away not only costs me the price of the trip, it also costs me 5 weeks of income.

To make up for the loss of income I will need to pretty much double my usual crazy Christmas lead up workload. So knowing that, I have had to be exceptionally organised in the planning of this upcoming trip. I won't have time to give it a second thought after the beginning of September so it was important to do all of my research now.

Hopefully that explains the crazy details I've shared . Well it probably doesn't completely explain the "crazy" but hopefully it makes me seem slightly saner.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550

Last edited by Ms. Shuttergirl; 08-22-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #17
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mum View Post
Oh Ms Shuttergirl, thank you so much for doing this PTR for us!!! It looks like a fantastic trip and you have put so much effort into planning it - I can only imagine how many hours you have put into it! I too love your Trip Reports so am certainly looking forward to this one too. If we ever are lucky enough to get back to WDW (we'd probably have to win Lotto so luck is certainly involved), I'd definitely want to include New York this time. Plus, with DD14 in high school, December/January is the only time of the year we could go for more than 2 weeks (and I'd never go all that way for that short of a time) so I'd be looking at a winter holiday too and will therefore be be watching your experiences with keen interest. To be honest, I love warm weather but DH loves the cold so your trip would be a dream for him. Gosh, Quebec looks gorgeous in those photos!
Travel Mum - yes there has definitely been quite a few hours, days, months spent on working on our holiday . But as everyone here agrees, it is lots of fun. I almost like the planning as much as the holiday.

Thank you for the compliment about my last trip report, I sure hope this upcoming one can meet expectations. If I'm having some champagnes of an evening while I'm away my trip report will become a whole lot "funnier" hahaha.

You've got it exactly, our daughter 14 also and in high school so Dec/Jan is an easier time for us to go away for longer stretches. We prefer cooler weather than hot but not sure we have any idea what Quebec has in store for us . This may be our last "winter" holiday but realistically I doubt it since January is now our holiday friend.

You absolutely must include NYC on your next trip. It is a truly wonderful place.

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #18
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Ugh. I also don't get holiday pay so 5 weeks away not only costs me the price of the trip, it also costs me 5 weeks of income.
Totally understand and sympathise with this. DH and I are both self-employed. When we go away both businesses shut down for the length of our trip. It means we simply can't afford to travel for more than around 3 1/2 weeks as we have no income coming into the family coffers at all while we travel but the bills keep coming...

I would love to head off for a month or more but until we retire it just won't be happening for us Something to look forward to!

I don't think you're OCD - your meticulous planning sounds normal to me ( or maybe I'm just a little crazy too!) You've inspired me to start working on a PTR of my own...

I LOVED that picture of the Quebec street in the snow - so quaint. Looks like I'm adding another place to the bucket list...

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andona View Post
Totally understand and sympathise with this. DH and I are both self-employed. When we go away both businesses shut down for the length of our trip. It means we simply can't afford to travel for more than around 3 1/2 weeks as we have no income coming into the family coffers at all while we travel but the bills keep coming...

I would love to head off for a month or more but until we retire it just won't be happening for us Something to look forward to!

I don't think you're OCD - your meticulous planning sounds normal to me ( or maybe I'm just a little crazy too!) You've inspired me to start working on a PTR of my own...

I LOVED that picture of the Quebec street in the snow - so quaint. Looks like I'm adding another place to the bucket list...

Andona
I'm so glad someone can relate to the income loss. It truly is quite shocking to lose so much money but I will never say it isn't worth it because these trips are priceless in so many ways.

I'm also glad to hear I don't sound too crazy to some on the Dis. Many people in my everyday life think I am insane. I have stopped discussing it with them, I know what it takes to create an amazing holiday for my family and that is lots of planning. Whilst I understand lots of other families can "fly by the seat of their pants" and be completely thrilled, that is so now how the Kelly's roll. .

I think it was Princess in Oz who went to Canada and went to Montreal, Quebec and Niagara Falls. She inspired me so hopefully my trip will inspire you Andona. I remember her and others saying that Montreal wasn't quite as beautiful as Quebec City so rather than dividing our time between the 2, we have chosen to just truly immerse ourselves into one beautiful place instead. I definitely feel like we have made a good decision. I remember PIO saying how tacky Clifton Hill at Niagara Falls was, this will so make my children happy. They love some tacky so one mans junk is another man's treasure in this instance.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #20
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andona View Post

Andona
I've just realised how close your trip is, you so need to start a PTR. Your trip is not something my family will do, with all the driving etc. So it's really important to share all the details and take lots and lots of pictures because many of us, but especially me , won't get to see all of the amazing things you will see.

PTR, PTR, PTR....please

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Amazing. I am green with envy!!

Great trips that involve multiple locations with a large family do take detailed planning to go off without a hitch. My family and friends were astounded that our trip last year has no mishaps whatsoever (getting sick and other passengers notwithstanding as those are outside our control) and i just explained that all the time i spent glued to my laptop scouring websites and google earth etc were totally worth it to make my family's vacation perfect.

I cannot wait to read your tr and see all your photos.

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
becpee
I see sock puppets

Your PTR looks great, I am dying to see you capture those Christmas images, Christmas is my favorite time of year!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #24
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Couldn't agree more re the planning!! But that's why we are all here, I guess!!
There are only 2 of us travelling most times and I do all the research, referring where necessary! It is so totally worth it. And I wouldn't do it any other way!
(No matter how often I dream of being surprised with a trip away that I have had nothing to do with, I know I wouldn't cope with that!!! )

hjd0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
battymum
DIS Veteran

I love PTR's just as much as TR's.

Those photos of Quebec are gorgeous, makes me want to take a winter /snow holiday - something I never thought I would ever say!
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
mindy32
Mouseketeer

Your trip sounds amazing!! Loving all the details in this.
mindy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #27
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
Amazing. I am green with envy!!

Great trips that involve multiple locations with a large family do take detailed planning to go off without a hitch. My family and friends were astounded that our trip last year has no mishaps whatsoever (getting sick and other passengers notwithstanding as those are outside our control) and i just explained that all the time i spent glued to my laptop scouring websites and google earth etc were totally worth it to make my family's vacation perfect.

I cannot wait to read your tr and see all your photos.
That is so true Alicia, all of your time and effort really paid off. It's funny that people are so surprised when it all goes well, and it's also funny when people who do no planning are surprised when they hit bumps in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
Your PTR looks great, I am dying to see you capture those Christmas images, Christmas is my favorite time of year!
Mine too Becpee, mine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
Couldn't agree more re the planning!! But that's why we are all here, I guess!!
There are only 2 of us travelling most times and I do all the research, referring where necessary! It is so totally worth it. And I wouldn't do it any other way!
(No matter how often I dream of being surprised with a trip away that I have had nothing to do with, I know I wouldn't cope with that!!! )
Hahaha, I've had that crazy dream on occasion too but completely agree the control freak in me wouldn't be able to stand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
I love PTR's just as much as TR's.

Those photos of Quebec are gorgeous, makes me want to take a winter /snow holiday - something I never thought I would ever say!
It does look like a winter wonderland doesn't it. I hope we get to see it looking this pretty, but it's hard to say what the weather and snow will be doing. We mightn't find the snow so charming once we're trudging through it . Hopefully I'll be able to see the beauty and positives, rather than the cold realities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy32 View Post
Your trip sounds amazing!! Loving all the details in this.
Thanks Mindy.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
tapdancer
Mouseketeer

Wow what an amazing holiday you have planned. I'm very envious, my hubby and I would love to do a trip like this on our own in a few years. Can't wait to see your photos.

September 2011- WDW Beach Club
22 September 2013-8 October 2013 - New York Doubletree Guest Suites Time Square and WDW POR
tapdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #29
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdancer View Post
Wow what an amazing holiday you have planned. I'm very envious, my hubby and I would love to do a trip like this on our own in a few years. Can't wait to see your photos.
I think it would be a great trip to do with kids or on your own. Something for you to look forward to Tapdancer.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #30
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Yay, I love your trip reports, so much detail and I am looking forward to seeing all your beautiful photos.

Would so love to do Christmas in NY, if only I could get grumpy DH to agree.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Aulani - April 2015
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: