Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #46
DVC Jen
DIS Veteran
Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks!
Proudly wears the title of WEIRDEST DISer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon1 View Post
I repeat: fine the parents/stateroom!

Such behavior is beyond unacceptable -- it's destructive.

Of course, we want to permit our children to have some freedom, but not at the expense of all of the other paying passengers on the ship.

Currently, I keep an eye on my 7 y/o son at all times (when he is not in the club/lab).
When he is old/mature enough to earn some free time, he will be provided with clear instruction as to appropriate/inappropriate behavior.

If I were ever informed that he ran up and down hallways, or engaged in any type of destructive behavior, such as breaking dishes, I would have him spend the entire next day confined to the cabin, writing notes of apology to each and every stateroom on our deck (or the deck that he was running rampant), as well as the deck below.

He would be required to pay, out of his own funds/allowance, for any broken dishes/items (after he cleaned it up, himself).

He is taught to respect himself, and those persons around him. If he does something wrong, he is expected to make it right. That's it. Before anyone accuses me of being a Tiger mom, please understand that I/we serve up ample amounts of hugs and kisses and and laughter and "I love you"s and all kinds of (specific) positive reinforcement. But bad behavior is not to be tolerated, under any circumstances! My $2.
You are a fantastic parent. I wish there were more like you out there.

Check Out My Disney Vacation Photos My Disney Family Vacation Galleries

DVC Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #47
Lujackdisney
Earning My Ears

Great tips/review

Thank you for the TR, very informative. My husband, Mom and kids 4 and 8 will be on Fantasy 10/20 and can't wait! I think the take away is to be prepared, have patience and relax...we are on vacation. We are doing a disney snorkel trip in St Thomas and private tour in St Maarten. You confirmed what I was thinking, not a whole lot to do in St Maarten. My kids are night owls so I think we will take advantage of the popular areas during the more regular dinner/show times where maybe more of the kids and chaos will be. Thanks again!
Lujackdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #48
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

We were on the same cruise as you. My daughter said the same thing about the upper bunk. We had all the extra pillows from the main bed up there with her to lay on it was so hard. I was going to ask if they had an egg shell thing to put under the sheets but didn't. For a new boat it should have good mattresses.

I agree with the person who said rude adults just pushed into the elevator or you could be waiting with your family there first and people run you over to get to the elevator. We used the stairs as much as we could but the times we didn't ... Or adults that let your kids run all over the atruim while people are trying to get pictures done. I know it is a disney boat but some manners have to come in to play. I had a kid scribble all over my Animator's placemat with an orange crayon while we were getting our picture taken with the statue too. I was not happy I tell you and the parents didn't say a thing just stood there and let there kids touch other people stuff.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #49
sftnslky
**May every day be filled with Magical memories**

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinGran View Post
Great trip report! May I ask what tour you took for St. John? We sail Oct. 20th, and have booked the St. John Island Tour for St. Thomas/St. John day.
I'm a little worried about dining, hearing how the food allergies were handled. I have a seafood/shellfish allergy, and DH can't have anything with alcohol in it, like wine sauces, etc. I hope this issue gets addressed.
Thank you for your info, we who are waiting to cruise LOVE reading trip reports!
I also have a BIG allergy to any alcohol. On our last 4 Magic cruise's I had no problem just asked our servers if there was any alcohol in the sauces. The one time we had any issue was at Palo's and the Chef came out and walked me through the brunch items and told me what I could and should not eat. Hope this helps.

sftnslky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #50
SnackyStacky
Disney Addict
S2+1

Proud new daddy to his own little princess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftnslky View Post
I also have a BIG allergy to any alcohol. On our last 4 Magic cruise's I had no problem just asked our servers if there was any alcohol in the sauces. The one time we had any issue was at Palo's and the Chef came out and walked me through the brunch items and told me what I could and should not eat. Hope this helps.
Your experience had been our experience in the past. I really don't know why all of a sudden, having an allergy was a culinary death sentence in the main dining rooms and with room service.

We DID have that same experience and at Palo and Remy this time. At Palo, we got the brunch walk through, and we were advised what to avoid at dinner. At Remy, a menu had been pre-developed. For the most part, it took dishes already on the menu and put them together beautifully. The one sub out was the fish course. My wife got a piece of the best chicken breast she's ever eaten.
SnackyStacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #51
jfahome
DIS Veteran

We were on this sailing as well. We had an AMAZING time. No complaints about anything. We requested our server from our last cruise and didn't get him, but they made the adjustment once on board. We told him we wanted quick dinners and we were always done very quickly. Our friend works in the character field and so we wanted to be sure we didn't miss an opportunity to see her each evening.
Like I said, I had nothing to complain about. We sailed in May as well on the Fantasy and did have a room attendant problem, but not this time.

It's been weeks now and I'm still going through cruise withdrawls!!

1st DCL - May 2009, 7 night Magic Western
2nd DCL - Jan 30,2010 7 night Magic Eastern
3rd DCL - Sept 8, 2011 - 3 night Disney Dream
4th DCL - May 5, 2012 - 7 night Eastern Disney Fantasy
5th DCL - Aug 11, 2012 - 7 night Eastern Disney Fantasy
6th DCL - Apr 20, 2013 - 7 night Eastern Disney Fantasy
7th DCL - Jan 10, 2014 - 3 night Bahamas Disney Magic
8th DCL - May 15, 2015 - 15 night Eastbound Transatlantic Disney Magic
jfahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #52
SnackyStacky
Disney Addict
S2+1

Proud new daddy to his own little princess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfahome View Post
We were on this sailing as well. We had an AMAZING time. No complaints about anything. We requested our server from our last cruise and didn't get him, but they made the adjustment once on board. We told him we wanted quick dinners and we were always done very quickly. Our friend works in the character field and so we wanted to be sure we didn't miss an opportunity to see her each evening.
Like I said, I had nothing to complain about. We sailed in May as well on the Fantasy and did have a room attendant problem, but not this time.

It's been weeks now and I'm still going through cruise withdrawls!!
Me too! And there's only one cure. Alas, I don't think my health insurance covers a cruise!
SnackyStacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #53
dooledoo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebella View Post
We were on the same cruise. Spent every night at Skyline with Novak....so much so you'd probably recognize us. He's our favorite bartender ever after 10 cruises!!

We didn't have any service issues. Cami and Steve in the dining room were AWESOME. We let our 11 year old daughter go around the ship with her friends, but they were a pretty subdued bunch. Maybe some of the running around you saw was actually instigated by the Tween Club. I know they had several activities where they would send the kids off on scavenger hunts, and things around the ship.
Another fellow culprit here Jess - it's Alex! Yes, my daughter was one of the posse as well but I believe they were all old enough to be sensible and polite. None of the group were around late either! Yes, Novak was great - the mixology group was a real laugh and I would recommend it to anyone.

We were very lucky and had an aft cabin and experienced no trouble at all so would recommend these to anyone.

Agree about St Maarten. Very poor and dare I say, not sure why the ship stops there? It is very pretty but so are a lot of other islands.

The language issue did make mealtimes entertaining. Luckily we had no allergies but sometimes humour went right over their head! DH did say he preferred the servers on the Magic but that mey be because one of them was English

However, I would go back on the ship in a heartbeat, a truly beautiful ship and a wonderful vacation
Disneyland Paris Xmas 2007
Disneyland Paris Xmas 2008
CBR, Beach Club, AKL & Polynesian Aug-Sept 2009 Western Caribbean Cruise Aug 2009
Royal Pacific Resort, Eastern Caribbean Cruise and Beach Club Aug 2012
12 Night Mediterranean cruise on Magic July 2014
dooledoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #54
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncingpluto View Post
Was Witt Asian/Pacific? I think that was the name of our head waiter on the Wonder in 2011, and he was AMAZiNG. My daughter was 15 weeks old, and he bent over backwards to make things as easy as possible for us.
Witt from Thailand was our "assistant" server on the Wonder back in Fall 2002 ! He was AWESEOME back then !!!! Wonder why he changed so much ? Maybe DCL is pressuring them in some way ???? But our recollection of Witt was a highlight of that 2002 cruise.

Our server on our last cruise (Magic Western Oct 2011) was Sandor. He was terrible.......if you want details I will write them out.....but too numerous.....we wrote down our concerns/complaints on the survey card and we HATE giving someone bad marks. Made us feel terrible to do it---but in part, our cruise was really hurt by his service and actions.

MiaSRN62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: