Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #31
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I hope you both will write Disney and let them know everything you said. Like one of you said, they can't fix it if they don't know. Unsupervised children acting wild is probably the one thing I am most worried about. My son is too shy and can't handle wild, rude children. I get very angry about it and tend to use the mom voice to kids whether they are mine or not. I'd obviously rather not have a confrontation but when they effect me or my own child, I can't just do nothing. It would bother me if the CMs did nothing.

Quote:
He is taught to respect himself, and those persons around him. If he does something wrong, he is expected to make it right. That's it. Before anyone accuses me of being a Tiger mom, please understand that I/we serve up ample amounts of hugs and kisses and and laughter and "I love you"s and all kinds of (specific) positive reinforcement. But bad behavior is not to be tolerated, under any circumstances! My $2
I'd never call you a tiger mom. I feel 100% the same way. I'm a big believer in manners.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #32
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Can I ask another question, do kids run crazy in the concierge areas on any ships? This is one of the reasons why I am considering it.
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #33
iheartcruising
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec
Can I ask another question, do kids run crazy in the concierge areas on any ships? This is one of the reasons why I am considering it.
No. In my experience the concierge floor is pretty quiet. I only have experience with deck 12 on the Dream but I think it was quieter than other areas. HTH
iheartcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #34
wishuponastarforever
I just love coming here and visiting with you

Amazing Trip Report. I'm glad you had a great time in spite of the servers and unsupervised children.

If more people complain to DCL after the cruise about the behavior of unsupervised children, perhaps a policy would have to go into effect giving the CMs onboard some latitude. I believe they do not have any authority and need some guidance from corporate. I agree there should be consequences to the offenders not to the other guests.

Thank you for taking the time to share all your valuable information.

Always planning for the next trip
wishuponastarforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #35
karaintn
Earning My Ears

We have Fantasy cabin 6586 booked for April! I was so glad to read your review, but I'm confused about the ladder situation. We have 3 kids so we'll definitely be using the upper berth - our 8 yo ds will be up there. What do you mean that it was OK because your dd is a "little girl"? My son is old enough that I'm not too worried about a short/wobbly ladder, but was wondering if you could give a little more info.

Thanks so much for your thorough review, I really enjoyed it.
karaintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #36
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackyStacky View Post
As I mentioned, in stateroom corridors, if you look at the rugs, there are maps. If you're walking south to north, you're moving towards the forward of the ship. If you're walking north to south, you're moving towards the aft.
One of the CM's told me a trick she uses when we were onboard last month. It had something to do with the stars on the carpet - if I am remembering correctly, it was that the top of the stars point to the front of the ship always.
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #37
SnackyStacky
Disney Addict
S2+1

Proud new daddy to his own little princess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaintn View Post
We have Fantasy cabin 6586 booked for April! I was so glad to read your review, but I'm confused about the ladder situation. We have 3 kids so we'll definitely be using the upper berth - our 8 yo ds will be up there. What do you mean that it was OK because your dd is a "little girl"? My son is old enough that I'm not too worried about a short/wobbly ladder, but was wondering if you could give a little more info.

Thanks so much for your thorough review, I really enjoyed it.
I asked if it was safe to use since it was just hanging off the upper berth. It didn't touch the floor. The stateroom hostess told me that because she's a little girl, it was safe to use.

Since she said engineering was aware of the problem, hopefully it's repaired before you cruise.
SnackyStacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #38
Kman34
Mouseketeer

Great trip report...We were on The Wonder last year and Novak was or bartender. He's a great guy and a fantastic bartender. We're so happy that he moved to the Fantasy since we're cruising on that ship in November.

Bummer about unruly kids, but that's what the bar is for
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #39
jezebella
MK fireworks in my backyard every night!

We were on the same cruise. Spent every night at Skyline with Novak....so much so you'd probably recognize us. He's our favorite bartender ever after 10 cruises!!

We didn't have any service issues. Cami and Steve in the dining room were AWESOME. We let our 11 year old daughter go around the ship with her friends, but they were a pretty subdued bunch. Maybe some of the running around you saw was actually instigated by the Tween Club. I know they had several activities where they would send the kids off on scavenger hunts, and things around the ship.

July 1985 Contemporary
July 1990 Carribean BeachJuly 1993 Port OrleansJuly 1994, February 1995, July 1995, February 1996, July 1996, February 1997, July 1997 July 1998, July 1999 December 1999 - Old Key West
January 2000 Grand Floridian
May 2005 - Wonder 4 day
May 2007 - Wonder 4 day
October 2007 - Wonder 4 day
January 2009 Magic!
Coming up...Bounceback 3 day Wonder in August 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
jezebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #40
SnackyStacky
Disney Addict
S2+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman34 View Post
Bummer about unruly kids, but that's what the bar is for
TESTIFY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebella View Post
We were on the same cruise. Spent every night at Skyline with Novak....so much so you'd probably recognize us. He's our favorite bartender ever after 10 cruises!!

We didn't have any service issues. Cami and Steve in the dining room were AWESOME. We let our 11 year old daughter go around the ship with her friends, but they were a pretty subdued bunch. Maybe some of the running around you saw was actually instigated by the Tween Club. I know they had several activities where they would send the kids off on scavenger hunts, and things around the ship.
Could be! If that's the case, they need a counselor to go out with those kids and supervise. Or set the rules before they leave the clubs.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #41
SoThisIsLove
Mouseketeer

Our experience with the unsupervised children had no affiliation with the kids club. (thank goodness!). Our broken dishes experience happened at aprox 230 am and the other was in the pool at approx 9pm. The children in the kids club were always supervised appropriately for their age level. I think a lot has to do with parental behavior as well. Many adults were rude too...many had no elevator etiquette, pushing their way into an elevator when others were waiting first and having no regard for the capacity of the elevator and small children they are pushing into or even worse sticking their bottoms in front of.....or even worse....after the matinee of one of the shows, a parent had her 2 kids go up on the stage for pictures in front of the curtains.....the lighting director of the show kindly announced that for the safety of the children and upcoming performances please do not stand on the stage....this mother continued to keep her children on the stage until she got the picture she wanted...even though the announce ent was made TWICE!.....or the parents that speak rudely or condescendingly to crew members because they feel they are there to serve them....like a gentleman at Castaway Cay who stopped a waiter on the beach and asked him for soda....the crew member was kind enough to tell the man that there is a drink station near the BBQ in which the soda was free and that if he were to get his family soda he would have to charge him....so instead of a thank you, what was the man's response??? He told the waiter...not asked him....told him....to go get his family the soda from the free drink station and bring it back to them at the beach! That's what his job is....isn't it? I was floored! This is a grown man speaking to another grown man....a peer! I felt so bad..,,the waiter went and got the drinks for the family and the man did not give him any tip! Unbelievable! The last time I checked my cruise documents I did not see personal servant in the list of included services! Of course my 5 year old saw the drinks coming to the chair and she wanted one....but I loudly told her we are capable of walking to the drink station ourselves....and we did! The waiter smiled at me as he walked away. Children learn what their parents teach them and sometimes people differ in their beliefs, I guess??? To me respect and courtsey are the same no matter where I travel or who I encounter... Many people feel they have paid a lot for their vacation and expect certain things....which I understand....but rules apply to EVERYONE and respect and courtesy should be shown to EVERYONE...no matter how much they paid for their cruise or what position they fill onboard the ship to help make your cruise special!
SoThisIsLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #42
SnackyStacky
Disney Addict
S2+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
Our experience with the unsupervised children had no affiliation with the kids club. (thank goodness!). Our broken dishes experience happened at aprox 230 am and the other was in the pool at approx 9pm. The children in the kids club were always supervised appropriately for their age level. I think a lot has to do with parental behavior as well. Many adults were rude too...many had no elevator etiquette, pushing their way into an elevator when others were waiting first and having no regard for the capacity of the elevator and small children they are pushing into or even worse sticking their bottoms in front of.....or even worse....after the matinee of one of the shows, a parent had her 2 kids go up on the stage for pictures in front of the curtains.....the lighting director of the show kindly announced that for the safety of the children and upcoming performances please do not stand on the stage....this mother continued to keep her children on the stage until she got the picture she wanted...even though the announce ent was made TWICE!.....or the parents that speak rudely or condescendingly to crew members because they feel they are there to serve them....like a gentleman at Castaway Cay who stopped a waiter on the beach and asked him for soda....the crew member was kind enough to tell the man that there is a drink station near the BBQ in which the soda was free and that if he were to get his family soda he would have to charge him....so instead of a thank you, what was the man's response??? He told the waiter...not asked him....told him....to go get his family the soda from the free drink station and bring it back to them at the beach! That's what his job is....isn't it? I was floored! This is a grown man speaking to another grown man....a peer! I felt so bad..,,the waiter went and got the drinks for the family and the man did not give him any tip! Unbelievable! The last time I checked my cruise documents I did not see personal servant in the list of included services! Of course my 5 year old saw the drinks coming to the chair and she wanted one....but I loudly told her we are capable of walking to the drink station ourselves....and we did! The waiter smiled at me as he walked away. Children learn what their parents teach them and sometimes people differ in their beliefs, I guess??? To me respect and courtsey are the same no matter where I travel or who I encounter... Many people feel they have paid a lot for their vacation and expect certain things....which I understand....but rules apply to EVERYONE and respect and courtesy should be shown to EVERYONE...no matter how much they paid for their cruise or what position they fill onboard the ship to help make your cruise special!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackyStacky
The responsibility to fix this issue is on our society, in my opinion. This one I can't fault Disney for. I brought it up more as a way to say: "Be ready for this."
Old 08-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #43
SnackyStacky
Disney Addict
S2+1

Quote:
Let me also add that I LOVED the way you handled that arrogant tool at Castaway Cay!!! I'm sure it didn't get through to him, but that was perfect.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #44
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Children learn what their parents teach them and sometimes people differ in their beliefs, I guess??? To me respect and courtsey are the same no matter where I travel or who I encounter... Many people feel they have paid a lot for their vacation and expect certain things....which I understand....but rules apply to EVERYONE and respect and courtesy should be shown to EVERYONE...no matter how much they paid for their cruise or what position they fill onboard the ship to help make your cruise special!
Amen!
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #45
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Great review! I'm looking forward to sailing on the Fantasy in Oct
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: