Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
toastnjam
Earning My Ears

Scooter Vehicle Attachment Rental

We've decided to rent a scooter for my elderly mother. However we are thinking of driving from Fort Wilderness to the various parks to avoid the bus all together.

We have an SUV (it will be full of people).

1. Has anyone rented the attachment for the rear of the vehicle?
2. when breaking down the scooter does it fit into the 2/3 split of a small SUV?
3. is it a pain to break down? Suggestions on model to rent (she's small frame, height but needs alot of padding for back issues).

Thank you!
toastnjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

The small travel scooters are easily broken down to be put into the back of an SUV. We fit ours in a RAV4. The problem here is that if only one person is doing all of the lifting, that person will feel it in his/her back by mid-week.

Hopefully, you will have more than one person who can help. The seat comes off, the battery comes out, the rest can be picked up as one piece after lowering the tiller. The entire scooter only weighs 97 pounds, so the largest piece is about 35 lbs (daughter says seat is the heaviest). My adult daughter - 5 feet tall - can put one together or take one apart in just 22 seconds. (Obviously, we made a game out of it.)

We never rented a carrier, but we did splurge this year to buy a Bruno lift. It makes a big difference. No effort. I don't know anything about renting an outside scooter carrier. I hope my advice helped somewhat. Good luck to you.

Have a great trip!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Probability of renting an outside scooter lift approaches zero.

First of all, the vehicle has to have a Class 2 or Class 3 hitch receiver for the lift to fit into.

Next, the lift has to be wired into the vehicles electrical system. And

Finally, the lockdown bar has to be adjusted for the specific height of the ECV floor.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

I would just plan on putting it into the back of the SUV. If it is a Go-Go scooter, you won't have any problem. I used to take the seat off of mine, remove the battery, and then was able to pick the rest of it up and put it in our van by myself. Not a great idea, but can be done. The deck and the rear wheels do come apart also which makes no part over 35lbs. Very doable for one person.

Mine will fit in the trunk of a Ford Fusion, and I have put it in the trunk of a Ford Mustang, but not recommended.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
toastnjam
Earning My Ears

Thank you. I'm going to get exact measurements because i will have to put in the back of my suv with the 2/3 1/3 split. I want to make sure it fits without scratching up my interior.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Saratoga Goofy
Mouseketeer

great information

I hadn't thought of the possibility of transporting via vehicle. We always take the bus. There have been times however that it might have been quicker to drive, especially when we stayed at Coronado. Thanks for the information.
Saratoga Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
PegIra
DIS Veteran

Putting a scooter in your car

I have a Pride Go Go Elite scooter and love it. It has a oversized battery, and I don't have any problems at all. We put it in the back of our suv. We break it down into 3 pieces, but it can be broken down into 4 pieces. We just take the seat and battery off and lift the rest into the car and put the battery and seat in after that. We are in our 70's and some days it seems heavier than others, but it really isn't a problem. A friend spent some time with us and he was able to lift the scooter in by himself (without the battery and seat). We break it down but it could be broken down even smaller, but we find it too much trouble.

Either way,but or drive,enjoy your trip.
PegIra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
toastnjam
Earning My Ears

The scooter will fit, if I leave someone at home. I've decided to buy an attachment that goes into my hitch. We won't have to disassemble the scooter or make everybody sit with something on their lap. We'll have 3 tall teenage boys that will be cramming into the back of the SUV as it is so this will help keep the peace, especially after a long day.

Amazon for $60-90. Still saving money over renting in Disney and we can use it when we go to the beach for coolers, etc.

All is coming together and I'm getting excited.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran

If you're planning to use an outside carrier, you may also want to consider a scooter cover and/or method of locking it- you don't want it to get wet or damaged.
SteveMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
toastnjam
Earning My Ears

got locking, etc. thought out. Using our motorcycle cover and we already have locking stuff. If we are not using it we can always leave it behind too. Not planning on leaving it "out" for it to be considered for 8+ hours while we are in a park. Thanks for the tip.

Did speak to Apple Scooters, as i was concerned about the daily rains, and they said these scooters can get wet. No problem.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastnjam
got locking, etc. thought out. Using our motorcycle cover and we already have locking stuff. If we are not using it we can always leave it behind too. Not planning on leaving it "out" for it to be considered for 8+ hours while we are in a park. Thanks for the tip.

Did speak to Apple Scooters, as i was concerned about the daily rains, and they said these scooters can get wet. No problem.
The' a bit of a difference between a light rain and getting soaked, especially on a carrier, in therain. Think spray coming up from below!
SteveMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

I would check the width of that carrier I never found one wide enough except the expensive ones made for scooters

bidnow5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
toastnjam
Earning My Ears

Good points. The carrier i found is big enough and holds more than enough weight. The rain from below is another concern. I'll have to give it some thought...
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Also make sure that the "tongue weight" of the trailer hitch can handle the scooter carrier - scooter carrier usually require a class 3-4 hitch (which usually means the interior trunk is big enough for a broken down scooter), because it depends on tongue weight, NOT towing capacity.

To the OP - if the person needing the scooter is more than 250-300 lbs, you may not find a scooter that can break down and handle their weight. Smaller scooters definitely break down easily, but heavy duty scooters are much harder to break down.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Also curious, what attachment is only $60-$90? Most carriers I have seen run closer to $1000! I would love to know what you found

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: