Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #91
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Week 4: Strength Training
Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I must say, I am quite proud of myself for sticking to my training plan while traveling. Excuse me while I pat myself on the back some more...

Anyhoo, I used the hotel's fitness area again this morning. Very nice...my only small issue was that they don't have the dumbbells I am currently using (12 lbs). Totally understandable, as it is sort of a weird weight. I am impressed that they had dumbbells, period! Seems kind of rare for a hotel. So I used the 10s (nowhere near ready for 15s!) and added a couple of extra reps onto what I would normally do. My legs felt much better than they did on Thursday...no cramping and I am not sore.

That's pretty much it for my trip. I check out of my hotel in 15 minutes, then lunch, afternoon sessions and off to the airport. I gave my presentation this morning...I actually won an award for my paper at this same conference last year, but I don't think I will this year. My talk went well but I just don't think my topic was as good as last year's was. Oh well, at least it's over and I can list it in my annual review! So glad to be close to going home!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 09-19-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #92
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Week 4: Run #2 (3 mile out-and-back)
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Weather: 64 degrees and sunny, 61% humidity

6 miles completed/19 miles planned for the week
45 miles completed so far in training

Boy, is it good to be home.

Yesterday was a long day. I was up at 6AM Minnesota time to work out...then I went to conference sessions, presented my own, checked out of the hotel, went to more sessions (I hit the wall at about 1PM...zzz) and didn't pull into my driveway until almost 11PM Ohio time. Since I was at the conference on Sunday today is a flex day, meaning no work for me! I stayed in bed until about 10:30...it's just so warm and comfy there!

Finally I got up to go run. The weather was perfect - chilly but not too cold. Between 2 days of traveling, sitting in on sessions all day and conference food (all of it was heavy...lots of desserts and barely any fruits or veggies) today's run was a struggle. I felt sluggish and stiff...probably wouldn't been a good day to back off on the pace a bit. I wish I'd thought of that when I actually WAS running. Oh well.

Stats from the run:
Total Time: 29:17 for 3 miles
Average pace: 9:46/mile (10:07, 9:36, 9:34)
Zero dogs today.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 09-20-2012 at 12:09 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #93
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Week 4: Strength training and yoga
Thursday, September 20, 2012

I'm definitely still recovering from my little trip earlier this week. After sleeping in so late yesterday I had a helluva time getting to sleep last night and only got about 6 hours...I feel okay so far but I'm sure it'll hit me this afternoon.

So yeah...strength training was fine. I felt a little sluggish, but what can ya do. Yoga was okay, not great...just not feeling it today. Sort of a blah day overall. We all get them once in awhile, right?! I will say that I requested some hip stretching during class (I get hip soreness occasionally when running) and I do feel better now.

This was the last week of the current yoga session, so there are no yoga classes next week. The next session begins October 1, and I've signed up for my same Monday/Thursday lunchtime classes, as well as another class on Wednesdays. Quite silly of my to sign up for 3 classes per week when I cannot consistently make it to 2 per week, but there you have it. I'll do the best I can.

Byeeeeeeeeeee!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 09-21-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #94
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Great job on getting back to the strength/yoga training. This is still something I'm sorely lacking in. And, I always think you deserve extra credit when you get it done even when you really don't want to do it. So, congrats!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #95
annabanna
Mouseketeer

I am so impressed that you were able to work out while at out of town for work. That's never easy to do!
I have had some sort of nast flu most of the week and haven't managed to run at all in almost a week. I am getting worried now because I have a half marathon coming up in a week and I didn't feel prepared for it before, now I feel even worse. It's hard to getback into the groove after being off!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #96
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Seriously great job with working out while you were out of town! I always intend to do it but I just never do.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #97
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
Great job on getting back to the strength/yoga training. This is still something I'm sorely lacking in. And, I always think you deserve extra credit when you get it done even when you really don't want to do it. So, congrats!
Extra credit, eh? I like the way you think! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanna View Post
I am so impressed that you were able to work out while at out of town for work. That's never easy to do!
I have had some sort of nast flu most of the week and haven't managed to run at all in almost a week. I am getting worried now because I have a half marathon coming up in a week and I didn't feel prepared for it before, now I feel even worse. It's hard to getback into the groove after being off!
Oh no! I hope that you feel better soon. I hope that your race goes okay...it might be a good idea to re-visit whatever expectations/goals you had for the race in light of being sick (that is to say, this may not be a great time to go for a PR). Get well soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
Seriously great job with working out while you were out of town! I always intend to do it but I just never do.
Thanks! This is really the first time I've stuck to it while out of town. It took some extra planning but it was nice coming home and not having to worry about "making up" the runs that I had missed.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #98
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Week 4: Run #3 (4 mile out-and-back)
Friday, September 21, 2012
Weather: ?? Low 60s, overcast and not humid...i.e. perfect!

10 miles completed/19 miles planned for the week
49 miles completed so far in training

Oh man...this run is going to be 5 miles next week! EEK!

This was quite a nice run today. The first mile felt stiff and weird (as usual, since I pretty much rolled out of bed, threw on clothes and headed out the door), but otherwise it was quite pleasant. I know the weather was a big part of it, as well as something else that I'll post about in a bit.

Stats from the run:
Total time: 39:06 for 4 miles
Average pace: 9:47 min/mile (10:11, 9:42, 9:44, 9:29)

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 09-21-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #99
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Running Stuff I like: Foam roller and (to a lesser extent) The Stick

One thing I hear a lot about running is that it's a great sport because "all you need is a good pair of shoes!"

Well...not exactly. As time has gone on I've definitely found myself acquiring more gear than I ever expected to when I first began running consistently. So I thought I'd share some stuff that I like.

Yesterday I mentioned that I asked our yoga teacher specifically for some hip stretches during class. I never experienced hip pain while running until I got into longer distance runs when training for the 2012 marathon...it was never something I really worried about, but it was annoying. After that race, my runs were shorter and the hip pain went away. Quite a relief...no one likes being sore!

So I was a bit disappointed to feel the pain returning during both of my 3-milers this week (primarily in my right hip). I didn't really mention it because I think I was in denial, and like before it wasn't something I was super worried about...but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I need to nip this in the bud. If this is a small problem on shorter runs, I imagine it will turn into something bigger in a few weeks when my runs are longer.

I consulted my good friend RunnersWorld.com and found this video. I don't know much about physiology and whatnot, but I am pretty sure that the pain I was having was at the top of my IT band. Normally I get that pain in my knees, but lately it's been in my hip.

Anyhoo, the guy in this video is the same guy that made the strength training program that I use, which has helped me a lot...so I was glad to find his tips:

1. Wear properly fitted shoes
2. Strength train
3. Foam roll

I checked in with my local running store about a month ago and they confirmed that I am in the correct shoes. I already strength train...but I don't foam roll. I own both a foam roller (I forget exactly which one I have but I think it's similar to this one) and The Stick (which is similar to a foam roller), I just almost never use them.

So after watching the above video I found this one, which shoes how to use the foam roller on all parts of your legs (hamstrings, IT Band, calves, etc.). I dusted off the ol' foam roller and gave it a try. I could definitely feel it in my left side, and then I switched to the right... HOLY MOTHER OF MICKEY MOUSE. It hurt...like, a LOT. I rolled for about 15 seconds, took a break, rolled again...and so on. Maybe this wasn't THE issue behind my hip pain, but there was definitely something going on there. Yowza!

So that brings me to today's run...4 miles and almost zero hip pain! I felt a HUGE difference. And thus I am stating here and now that I am committing myself to foam rolling at least a few days per week (ideally on more days than not). The doc in the first video recommends 2-3 minutes per side/area every day...that doesn't sound so bad, especially if it's going to keep my legs healthy. And when I tried the same stuff with The Stick, it felt good, but not nearly as good as the foam roller...so the roller is my new best friend.

So, to summarize...yay foam rolling! It hurts so good.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 09-23-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #100
tiffrobyn
Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming swimming swimming swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
So that brings me to today's run...4 miles and almost zero hip pain! I felt a HUGE difference. And thus I am stating here and now that I am committing myself to foam rolling at least a few days per week (ideally on more days than not). The doc in the first video recommends 2-3 minutes per side/area every day...that doesn't sound so bad, especially if it's going to keep my legs healthy. And when I tried the same stuff with The Stick, it felt good, but not nearly as good as the foam roller...so the roller is my new best friend.

So, to summarize...yay foam rolling! It hurts so good.
Ok, *SOLD*! My hips are the ONLY place that still bothers me after a run. I assumed it was because I'm never able to stretch it enough. I will be seeking out a foam roller stat!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #101
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffrobyn View Post
Ok, *SOLD*! My hips are the ONLY place that still bothers me after a run. I assumed it was because I'm never able to stretch it enough. I will be seeking out a foam roller stat!
I hope it helps you! I definitely think it's made a difference for me.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #102
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Week 4: Rest Day
Saturday, September 22, 2012

Very nice rest day. Will and I met in college and this weekend was homecoming weekend, so we went back to campus! I love it there...lots of good memories. He played on the tennis team and they were having an alumni tennis match (alumni vs. current players) so I watched him play for a bit. He and his partner whooped the current players! Oh yeah.

We got home around 3, picked up the monster pup from camp and headed out to the Melting Pot for a little date night dinner. YUM! What a lovely day.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 09-23-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #103
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Week 4: Run #4 (9 mile loop)
Sunday, September 23, 2012
Weather: All over the place!

19 miles completed/19 miles planned for the week
58 miles completed so far in training

Such a great run today! With my having missed the 7-miler a couple of weeks back and having such a crappy 6-miler on Labor Day, I feel like I really needed a good long run...and this was it!

I had my normal pre-run meal (bagel with peanut butter and a cup of coffee) and then proceeded to get distracted by trying to put up a listing on eBay. As a result I waited about 2 hours between eating and starting my run...normally I like to wait more like an hour. Oh well. This was enough time for the clouds to roll in and the rain to start. Blech! So basically my options were to skip the run (which I knew I shouldn't...so this really wasn't an option), move it to a different day (impossible and really unattractive to run during the work week!), go on the treadmill () or just suck it up and head out in the rain.

Option #4 won out! The temperature stayed in the mid-low 50s the entire time, so I wore a tech t-shirt under a Nike running jacket, Brooks running tights and a hat. I don't normally wear hats when I run, but it saved me today...without it running in the rain would have been torture.

The rain was pretty steady for the first 5 miles:

Mile 1: 10:13
Mile 2: 10:09
Mile 3: 11:07
Mile 4: 9:57
Mile 5: 10:45

The splits are pretty funny to me...everything that happened in the run is definitely reflected in them. I took a water/Gu chomps break (1/2 bag of the strawberry flavor...yum!) at the beginning of Mile 3 and another water break at the beginning of Mile 5, so those are slower. At Mile 4 the rain turned to hail, and without thinking of it I just picked up the pace so I'd get done faster...haha. It really wasn't so bad running in the rain...actually I think it helped my mental state, because instead of constantly thinking "OMG, I have to run 9 WHOLE MILES" I just kept telling myself "You're running in the rain! You're such a bada**!" Running is just so mental.

The sky suddenly cleared and the rain stopped for the last 4 miles! By them I was completely soaked and my jacket was a little heavy, but I felt okay otherwise.

Mile 6: 10:05
Mile 7: 11:03
Mile 8: 10:14
Mile 9: 10:19

My second water/Gu chomp break was at the beginning of Mile 7, and my last water break was at the beginning of Mile 9.

At the beginning of mile 7 my hip started acting up a bit and I instinctually shortened my stride. This helped A LOT, and I remembered later on that this technique was actually suggested in this video that I posted the other day. Dude knows his stuff!

At the end of the run I was freezing and drenched, but I felt great otherwise. I was mostly proud of myself for getting out there in crappy weather, because I know I wouldn't have done this a year ago. I also feel like I paced myself pretty decently. Woohoo!

After the run I had some chocolate milk (supposed to be great for recovery), took and ice bath (more on that in a bit) and had some waffles. Yum!

Stats from the run:

Total time: 1:33:52 for 9 miles
Average pace: 10:26/mile
Numbers of dogs seen: None
Number of other runners out there braving the ran: 1!
Number of times I got splashed by a car driving through a puddle: None...shocking.

And week 4 is done! Enjoy your Sunday!!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 09-23-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #104
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Running Stuff I don't really like but do anyway: Ice Baths

Ice baths are exactly what they sound like: run a bath with water as cold as you can stand it (even add ice!) and sit in it for a long as you can.

I had some hip and knee soreness today (curse you, IT band!) and decided that it was time to bring back the dreaded ice bath. I actually dump ice into mine and managed to sit in it for about 10 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore. I feel like this is more affective than separately icing my hip and then my knee - I get everything in one shot. I think this works for some people and not others, but for me I can tell a difference...my legs feel pretty good now.

I'm definitely planning on taking ice baths after the half and full marathons and Disney, and probably after each of my long runs from now on. They aren't very enjoyable, but to me ice baths are another thing in addition to foam rolling that keeps my legs healthy. So it's worth it.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 09-23-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #105
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Drying out wet running shoes

This probably doesn't deserve its own post, but I'm putting it here so I can find it quickly in the future (since I seem to always forget this and I know I'll need it after running in snow).

Here's a tip my local running store gave me to get running shoes to dry out quickly. It works great! I'm off to do this right now (my shoes are still soaked after today's run ):

Stuff newspaper into the shoes for 1 hour.
Take that newspaper out and replace it with new newspaper. Leave it in for 2-3 hours.
Take that newspaper out and replace it with new newspaper. Leave it in overnight.

And that's all I've got for today. TTFN!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by Ariel484; 09-24-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: