Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post
We did online check-in a couple of days ago and in the Special Requests area I checked the Samoa building because we want to be close to GCH and would love a view of the Volcano pool (I also want a balcony so I also requested 3rd floor), we too have a GV view. However, after what you said, it is making me rethink my Samoa request. I completely forgot about the GF construction, of course I am not going to do too much about it because I will be happy with any view I get since we will be at the Poly anyways .
No worries! The view is still great if you do end up in Samoa (just a couple small cranes in the distance). I would probably still take that view if given a choice!

You will have a great time regardless of where you end up. I am so jealous!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
mariamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchrulz View Post
I know, I know, how many times can this be asked?

DH and I have stayed in Tokelau and Fiji on previous trips and liked them both. We would like a room with a balcony, if possible, and it's just the two of us. What are your fave longhouses and why? TIA!
We've only stayed in Tokelau and LOVED it! The rooms were more recently renovated and the hallways were luxuriously spacious (we didn't realize it until we cut through another longhouse on our way to the GCH and saw how narrow and dark those halls were). We really loved it's central location - to the TTC, the GCH, and the pool.
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
corndog
My childhood grows increasingly hazy day by day

Interesting to see all the Tahiti and Tokelau fans. We always ask for anything but Tahiti, Tokelau, Rapu Nui, or Rarotonga.
03/01 - Port Orleans - Riverside
09/01 - Grand Floridian
04/02 - Wilderness Lodge
07/02 - BWI Concierge/GF Sugar Loaf Concierge
03/03 - Port Orleans - Riverside
03/04 - Port Orleans - Riverside
05/05 - Wilderness Lodge
09/07 - Polynesian
07/10 - Polynesian
08/11 - Polynesian
08/12 - Grand Floridian
07/13 - Polynesian
corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog View Post
Interesting to see all the Tahiti and Tokelau fans. We always ask for anything but Tahiti, Tokelau, Rapu Nui, or Rarotonga.
What about these longhouses don't you like?
Masonmj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Tahiti was where I stayed also. I liked it because it has bigger rooms than most of the other longhouses, and I really liked the solitude out there. The beach was pretty empty, which meant I got "my" hammock every day without fail. I watched Wishes from that hammock and it was pretty freakin spectacular. There were about 10 other guests on the entire beach- so not crowded at all compared to the other ones. I LOVED hitting TTC for the transpo vs going to the CGH as well.

The drawback was that I didn't walk back to the CGH to refill my mug very often. But other than that, no complaints about being "way out there." It was lovely. No crowds, quiet, lush, and comfy.

The castle view from the beach was great, so I assume from the rooms it's awesome.

I had a GV and it wasn't anything to get excited about, but I did have a balcony. 3rd floor.

I'd request it again.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
corndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
What about these longhouses don't you like?
Too far away from amenities and "civilization." Less chance for a water view at a garden rate.
09/01 - Grand Floridian
04/02 - Wilderness Lodge
05/05 - Wilderness Lodge
09/07 - Polynesian
07/10 - Polynesian
08/11 - Polynesian
08/12 - Grand Floridian
07/13 - Polynesian
Old 08-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Let me start out with a warning. Now that everyone puts so much importance on requests lets understand a few things first.

1. Requests should be kept to a minimum as far as details of the request. I was told that there are only so many characters that can be typed into the request field in the system so if you do some big long request, chances are most of that did not even get entered. Also the more complicated the request the less chance you will get what you want because if it does not find a match you will just get tossed into the general assignments. Stick with a building or two and balcony or patio.

2. Requests are not granted as often as you may think just because of many circumstances. Most of you understand that but some people get very upset if they do not get their request. Some even act like the request is more like they are booking this location not just requesting it. I even had some people tell me they booked Tokelau longhouse and we know you canít do that.

This info is not directed at the OP or anyone else in this posting. Just FYI.

Now to the Ops original question. While Tahiti is popular and has great views there are a few things working against it right now especially if you are in a standard view room. It is low on my standard view room picks because the view is just of plants and as mentioned sometimes the plants are feet away from your room. Also many of the garden side rooms on the ground level have had flooding problems during heavy rains. Tokelau would have much better standard view rooms as would Samoa, Fiji, Niue and even Rarotonga. Aotearoa even has many standard view rooms that face the lagoon but their view of the castle is blocked. I would never worry too much about walking distance. I have walked and timed the walk many times at the resort and at a very slow pace from the TTC path to the Luau Cove has never taken me longer than 8 minutes. From the farthest building (Tahiti) to the lobby would not take longer than 4 minutes unless you get lost.

My other concern with Tahiti is that it may not get the new room design. All other buildings except Tahiti and Rapa Nui are complete with the new room design but there is a chance those too will not be done at all so consider that in your request.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

AX-a-Lunt, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Let me start out with a warning. Now that everyone puts so much importance on requests lets understand a few things first.

1. Requests should be kept to a minimum as far as details of the request. I was told that there are only so many characters that can be typed into the request field in the system so if you do some big long request, chances are most of that did not even get entered. Also the more complicated the request the less chance you will get what you want because if it does not find a match you will just get tossed into the general assignments. Stick with a building or two and balcony or patio.

2. Requests are not granted as often as you may think just because of many circumstances. Most of you understand that but some people get very upset if they do not get their request. Some even act like the request is more like they are booking this location not just requesting it. I even had some people tell me they booked Tokelau longhouse and we know you canít do that.

This info is not directed at the OP or anyone else in this posting. Just FYI.

Now to the Ops original question. While Tahiti is popular and has great views there are a few things working against it right now especially if you are in a standard view room. It is low on my standard view room picks because the view is just of plants and as mentioned sometimes the plants are feet away from your room. Also many of the garden side rooms on the ground level have had flooding problems during heavy rains. Tokelau would have much better standard view rooms as would Samoa, Fiji, Niue and even Rarotonga. Aotearoa even has many standard view rooms that face the lagoon but their view of the castle is blocked. I would never worry too much about walking distance. I have walked and timed the walk many times at the resort and at a very slow pace from the TTC path to the Luau Cove has never taken me longer than 8 minutes. From the farthest building (Tahiti) to the lobby would not take longer than 4 minutes unless you get lost.

My other concern with Tahiti is that it may not get the new room design. All other buildings except Tahiti and Rapa Nui are complete with the new room design but there is a chance those too will not be done at all so consider that in your request.
Tikiman! Glad ta see ya here! LIVED on your URL both times we did the Polynesian. My room request both times was for a balcony in AOTEAROA with a view of the monorail. Was never denied. Even though it was close to the parking lot and service road, could not see any of it...only beautiful grass and tropical looking trees...and the gentle swoosh of the passing monorails. Elevator on the SE corner placed us at the corner of the marina for easy access to all things ceremonial. AAAAALLLLLLOOOOOHA!

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog View Post
Too far away from amenities and "civilization." Less chance for a water view at a garden rate.
What was the point of posting a reply to a year old thread?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #25
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby428 View Post
Tikiman! Glad ta see ya here! LIVED on your URL both times we did the Polynesian. My room request both times was for a balcony in AOTEAROA with a view of the monorail. Was never denied. Even though it was close to the parking lot and service road, could not see any of it...only beautiful grass and tropical looking trees...and the gentle swoosh of the passing monorails. Elevator on the SE corner placed us at the corner of the marina for easy access to all things ceremonial. AAAAALLLLLLOOOOOHA!
Sounds like a perfect way to word your request. Not a bad spot to request. You would never see the parking lot from Aotearoa since it is just past Tonga but it is a not a bad walk if you cut behind Tonga to get to your longhouse from the parking lot. If you want a monorail view that is the perfect spot. That famous photo of the monorail going by the longhouse with the people on the balcony is Aotearoa but Iím sure you knew that since you stayed there.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #26
corndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw50 View Post
What was the point of posting a reply to a year old thread?
Because somebody asked me a direct question. What's the harm in that?
09/01 - Grand Floridian
04/02 - Wilderness Lodge
05/05 - Wilderness Lodge
09/07 - Polynesian
07/10 - Polynesian
08/11 - Polynesian
08/12 - Grand Floridian
07/13 - Polynesian
Old 11-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
Sue M
DIS Veteran

this is an old thread!! And things have and will be changing at poly, including closing Tahiti for new DVC!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: