Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskiwi View Post
Yay Caroline you are planning again - planning is at LEAST half the fun!

Holiday rentals seem like a good way to go; we have decided to do a rental at WDW for our trip in May next year - I was all keen to stay onsite, (Wilderness Lodge - so cute, but so expensive) but when it came to the crunch, 11 nights with the four of us in one room would have driven us nuts and a tworoom suite was out of the question, , so we are now getting three bedrooms three bathrooms and our own pool at a Windsor Hills condo
(http://tour.circlepix.com/tour/Nitro...?tourId=542406) for only $99 a night!

Keep us posted on your road trip planning!
Hi Saskiwi, I will look forward to hearing how you enjoy Windsor Hills. We are tentatively looking to go to WDW in Jan 2015, and I have already picked out Windsor Hills as the place to stay. You get so much for such a low price . We always hire a car for the entire stay, so the distance from the parks is not an issue for us.
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Oct 2014 - First trip to WDW planned!
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #17
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Oh Caroline, I am so happy for you because I know you have had to sit here and bide your time while others have been flitting away to DL and WDW. So it must be fantastic to have firm plans in place and a booking made No way is booking this early OCD, gosh, most of us on here start planning/booking even further in advance
Disneyland and DCA - May 2006 - our children's first Disney trip
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #18
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline NZ View Post
Hi Saskiwi, I will look forward to hearing how you enjoy Windsor Hills. We are tentatively looking to go to WDW in Jan 2015, and I have already picked out Windsor Hills as the place to stay. You get so much for such a low price . We always hire a car for the entire stay, so the distance from the parks is not an issue for us.
Saskiwi, I too will wait to hear with great interest about your experience of staying offsite at WDW. I agree it is much better value for money and it actually would be much more realistic for us to get back there again if I could accept staying offsite. I still might but the problem is that, on our trip, the Disney dining was a part of the fun and I could only eat meals at the parks if on a Disney dining plan (preferrably free dining ) because, paying OOP at Disney prices would give me heart failure
Disneyland and DCA - May 2006 - our children's first Disney trip
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #19
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Hehe, Travel Mum , the secret is I have been planning for much longer, I just didn't think it was decent to admit to it in public! When one trip ends, the next one begins..... that is what keeps me going to work every day.

On the subject of WDW and going in Dec/Jan, I think we will be in a similar situation to you ( by 2015 anyway), with trying to plan the overseas holidays to coincide with NZ school holidays. And ofcourse Dec/Jan is the only state school holiday longer than 2 weeks.
Maybe we'll see you there in Jan 2015 ??!!!

For next years trip the kids are still at primary school,so I am okay with them missing 2 weeks of school. It will be one week either side of the holidays, and nothing much happens in those weeks for us.
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #20
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

It's very hard to be on the Disboards and watch others plan and go on their trips. In fact it's almost painful. I know many of us can sympathise with this feeling.

It will be over 2 years since we have been to WDW once we go in December and at times it has seemed like an eternity.

I usually think how quickly time flies is such a scary thing but when trip planning, it is a blessing.

Caroline - your trip will be here in the blink of an eye my luv.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #21
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
It's very hard to be on the Disboards and watch others plan and go on their trips. In fact it's almost painful. I know many of us can sympathise with this feeling.

It will be over 2 years since we have been to WDW once we go in December and at times it has seemed like an eternity.

I usually think how quickly time flies is such a scary thing but when trip planning, it is a blessing.

Caroline - your trip will be here in the blink of an eye my luv.
Ms Shuttergirl, I love your always thoughtful comments, thanks

We are all so very fortunate to be able to enjoy these big trips overseas, and I try and never let myself forget that.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Hi Caroline! Can I say it's never too early to make your bookings! For my trip this October, I think I booked the Disney cruise in April last year!!! That was when the bookings opened, pretty much. Everything else worked around that, really, and the plans changed completely at least 3 times! WDW was never on the radar for this trip, but we are going back now for 10 days!!
Oh - and I also stay at Windsor Hills. 3rd time now and I love it. Love the space and the pool and the convenience. There are only 2 of us but I love having the kitchen and living area. (And I think I booked that about 15 months out too..!!)
Can I tell you the time will go very quickly - I can't believe that we are 6 weeks out now - I really thought it would take forever to get here, but it really doesn't!!
Enjoy your planning!

hjd0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #23
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hehe, Travel Mum , the secret is I have been planning for much longer, I just didn't think it was decent to admit to it in public! When one trip ends, the next one begins..... that is what keeps me going to work every day.

On the subject of WDW and going in Dec/Jan, I think we will be in a similar situation to you ( by 2015 anyway), with trying to plan the overseas holidays to coincide with NZ school holidays. And ofcourse Dec/Jan is the only state school holiday longer than 2 weeks.
Maybe we'll see you there in Jan 2015 ??!!!

For next years trip the kids are still at primary school,so I am okay with them missing 2 weeks of school. It will be one week either side of the holidays, and nothing much happens in those weeks for us.
I don't think it's a problem with the kids missing 1-2 weeks of school on either side of the holidays. Even in high school so long as you time it right you can make it work. Obviously year 12 would be different but the world knowledge and experiences they gain from travel cannot be beat.

Quote:
Ms Shuttergirl, I love your always thoughtful comments, thanks

We are all so very fortunate to be able to enjoy these big trips overseas, and I try and never let myself forget that.
That is so true, we really are very blessed to be able to take these trips with out children. It wasn't something I ever dreamed we could afford to do so I feel very fortunate.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #24
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
congrats on the planning.

obsessive planning = all day long around my house. we are looking at september 2013 for our trip, and i'm constantly trying to jiggle the figures/dates/arrangements as we are doing a massive trip from bne - lax - mco, then a stay at wdw, a dcl cruise, a stay at universal orlando then a stay at dlr. that will be an action packed trip within 3 short weeks...

my family have asked me not to start planning until at least january, but that would barely give 8 month's lead time... that's just crazy talk

live long and prosper, fellow OCD planners
crazy talk.... don't they know this needs more planing than the invasion of Normandy....

the more you plan, the less things go pear shaped

21 sleeps for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #25
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

EXCITING! I'm in the planning stage of a trip Sept/Oct 2013 too! My and my friend Alicia will be going (will both be 19) and it will be her first trip! It's the most amazing feeling knowing that you're going to change someones life forever!
KiwiMouseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #26
Saskiwi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mum View Post
Saskiwi, I too will wait to hear with great interest about your experience of staying offsite at WDW. I agree it is much better value for money and it actually would be much more realistic for us to get back there again if I could accept staying offsite. I still might but the problem is that, on our trip, the Disney dining was a part of the fun and I could only eat meals at the parks if on a Disney dining plan (preferrably free dining ) because, paying OOP at Disney prices would give me heart failure
I know - planning Disney meals when paying OOP is going to require some strategic spending - we like to get going early most mornings we are going to the parks, so giant breakfasts are limited to only once or twice per holiday, and we often don't want to waste time in the parks having a sit down lunch ("There are rides to go on Mum - why are we sitting in a restaurant??!")

Soooo... dinner will be our main table service meals; I'm thinking Prime-Time Diner; maybe just a dessert at Sci-Fi Drive-In ( I heard the meals aren't so great); Coral Sea; and of course, Be Our Guest! I'd like to squeeze in the Bierhall German place at Epcot (who's name I have forgotten!) for nostalgia's sake too, *** I lived in Germany once...
At the resorts, I want to try Ohana and Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge..
Any other "must-trys" I've missed???? Recommendations at AK?? Is Boma really good?

Ooops - sorry about the thread hijack...
Saskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #27
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

So Andona got me thinking about our Yosemite accomodation and I have found this wonderful vacation home. A bit pricey for 2 nights but what the heck, it sounds amazing in the reviews.
http://www.vrbo.com/341153

Last edited by Caroline NZ; 08-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #28
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Just thought I'd add that we booked a place through VRBO in Kyoto in April and it went really smoothly so the site is now on my radar for future o/s trips when I have a few nights in one place. In Aus we always used Stayz but elsewhere previously its been a bit ad hoc...and you are planning a wonderful trip (who doesn't start planning the next trip as soon as you get home from one-no matter how far in advance???)
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #29
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Quote:
So Anadona got me thinking about our Yosemite accomodation and I have found this wonderful vacation home. A bit pricey for 2 nights but what the heck, it sounds amazing in the reviews.
That looks gorgeous! And it's a lot closer to the valley than Tenaya Lodge
The reviews are all five stars too .

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #30
Saskiwi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So Anadona got me thinking about our Yosemite accomodation and I have found this wonderful vacation home. A bit pricey for 2 nights but what the heck, it sounds amazing in the reviews.
wow - your very own Wilderness Lodge - it looks great!
Saskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: