Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: The new itinerary shown in the picture...
makes me thrilled. Show me where to sign up! 66 33.33%
makes me upset. I was booked and am jumping ship. So to speak. 10 5.05%
piques my curiousity. I hadn't been interested in the Galveston sailings before, but now am. 57 28.79%
Meh. Just not my cup of tea. 65 32.83%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #76
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

I'm another Texan agreeing with the posters talking about our local public schools going after people who take their kids out of school without a doctor's note. A friend of mine's straight A student daughter was almost kicked out of school because she had to go to her father's wedding (out of the country.) She was legally required to attend, due to the conditions of the custody agreement, but the school did not care and gave her zeros for all days missed. She was not allowed to make up her work (nor allowed to take it with her, although she asked in advance.) Another friend was told she was going to be reported to CPS because she took her kindergartner out for a week to go to WDW. Seriously, it can be a real nightmare. Texas public schools around here get some of their funding based on attendance, so they are unbelievably intolerant. (This is part of why we send our kids to private school!)

As far as the new route goes, I love it and think it looks great. We're already booked for a November cruise, but we're not booking another until we've seen how we like cruising with Disney.

We love cruising out of Galveston and do so often. We are probably who Disney was hoping to target when they tried out this market. We'd never tried DCL, but we're frequent cruisers who pull our kids out of school to take vacations, we love Disney, and we have the funds to indulge our whims. What they miscalculated on initially is that we've done a route similar to their initial planned route many times. We're tired of Cozumel. We're almost as tired of Grand Cayman. Admittedly, we haven't been to Costa Maya, but only because we had to cancel the cruise we'd booked to it for various reasons. (The only way the route could have been less interesting to us is if it had been Jamaica instead of Costa Maya.) I like the new route. It is different, and if it had been available when we booked, we'd have booked it. We were curious enough to try DCL that we booked even the initially offered route, and were disappointed that we wouldn't get to see Castaway Cay. This is an improvement, in our minds.

Now, I admit, if I'd booked a route and they switched me to a cruise of a different length, I'd have been pretty unhappy. And if they'd switched me to 2 back to back 4 night cruises going only to Cozumel, I'd have been absolutely livid.

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #77
WenInTexas
Can't wait to hear the WONDER sound its' horn!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
This new itinerary actually appeals to me. I was not very interested in the Mexican Caribbean ports. However, I have never been to Key West, Castaway Cay or WDW and would love to do all 3. 2 sea days in a row is appealing too. I would definitely book this itinerary if the dates worked out. I hope they keep it around for 2014. I would book it. I just canceled a western Caribbean trip on the Fantasy and part of the reason is that I was not very interested in the ports. I wasn't motivated to spend all that money to fly from CA to FL to hop on this ship to go to those ports. The other part of the reason had to do with the timing in terms of finances in relation to my upcoming Hawaii cruise in October.
Totally agree!
WenInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #78
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boogersmom
I voted "Makes me thrilled..." but I can't sign up because we leave in 49(!!!) days on the Magic!

Be that as it may...
I would love to do that itenerary, but I must admit, I, too, would be very upset, and very vocal, if I had already put down a deposit on a totally different set of ports. Especially the 4 night B2B to Cozumel!

I really hope they do the same itenerary when the Wonder comes in 2014! I also hope they come for at least a little bit of time during the summer. I am okay with taking the kids out of school ... for now. Once they are in Jr High I may will probably change my mind - just because the increased amount of work.
I must have missed something. This is the second reference to the Wonder being in Galveston. Has that been stated? Is the Wonder going to Galveston in 2014?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #79
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

I must have missed something. This is the second reference to the Wonder being in Galveston. Has that been stated? Is the Wonder going to Galveston in 2014?
The Wonder is going the fall of 2013. I assume that she will stay in port for spring 2014. It's only an assumption.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #80
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90

The Wonder is going the fall of 2013. I assume that she will stay in port for spring 2014. It's only an assumption.
Oh. These ships move around so much it's hard to predict.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #81
jrm11697
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Oh. These ships move around so much it's hard to predict.
A'int that the truth!!!

I haven't been on here in a while and was confusing as to where which ship was going and when!

From what i understand here is how it is: (Please correct me if im wrong)

MAGIC: Summer 2012- NYC(Bahamas/NE), Rest of year- Galveston TX (WC)

WONDER: Fall/early winter- MR, Oct- Hawaii (one time), Dec- PC, Christmas and NYE- Caribb.

DREAM- 3-5 night Bahamas

FANTASY: 7 night caribbean (E and W Caribb.)

MAGIC- Jan-May: Galveston. May: TA Summer: Europe, dry dock. (no public sailing back to USA) Oct-Dec: Miami

WONDER: Jan-May: Miami (Bahamas/Caribb.), May: PC, Summer- Cali/Alaska. Sept: Repo to LA to repo back East. Rest of year: Galveston

DREAM and FANTASY: Same.

I still haven't figured out the new Galveston stuff so im not gonna even try that...
jrm11697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #82
tajz90
Mama D

Yep, they do move, that's why I'm only assuming. Doesn't matter in the least. I'll catch a Disney ship from any port if it's going where I want to go.

No Galveston for me in 2012 or Spring 13 unless I throw in a 4 night. Sadly, the non school dates don't work that was the biggest bummer for me. All of that waiting for her to arrive..........
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #83
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90

I hope they release Spring 2014 out of Galveston, because we're planning on sailing the very start of January for our tenth anniversary (already listed in my countdown tickers.)
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #84
dlawallace
I believe in the Magic!!!

I am thrilled!!! I love CC and live in Texas, so it will be much easier and cheaper for me to drive to Galveston and sail to Florida. Plus I LOVE the idea of a day at Disney World included!!!!! I could not be happier

dlawallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #85
dato63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
I hope they release Spring 2014 out of Galveston, because we're planning on sailing the very start of January for our tenth anniversary (already listed in my countdown tickers.)
If they offer this itinerary for our school districts Spring Break in 2014 - we'll book it. We've done Jamaica, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman - but never Castaway Cay or Key West.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #86
patti226
Mouseketeer

I live in Texas and am going on the oct 6 cruise and i think that I am going to book one of these
patti226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #87
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patti226
I live in Texas and am going on the oct 6 cruise and i think that I am going to book one of these
I'm booked November and April, myself
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #88
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

I'd be disappointed if I had to sail the 8 day route. Honestly, I don't think there is enough to do on the Wonder with 4 1/2 sea days especially for repeat cruisers. My kids are older so, I can only imagine we'd be a bit bored. Also, only 5 hours in Key West would be very disappointing to me. I really like that port and I've only been once but the lure of that place to me is the amazing sunset. We've been to WDW so many times that this would be nice but not a must do for us. However, I can see how this route could appeal to someone who has never cruised Disney before. Just think you have 4 chances of getting Palo for brunch. I would think the odds are in your favor. Happy sailing... P.S. I really feel for those that already booked their cruise and airfare. I completely understand how frustrated you must all be. I hope Disney does it right and make you all satisfied customers.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #89
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

I was looking at this cruise and see it only shows through May of 2013..I was hoping for November..maybe things will shuffle around. I wish they had a standard brochure that told you exactly where each ship was and when. I'm a new cruiser and don't find the website easy to figure out how to see all the choices for each ship.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #90
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
I was looking at this cruise and see it only shows through May of 2013..I was hoping for November..maybe things will shuffle around. I wish they had a standard brochure that told you exactly where each ship was and when. I'm a new cruiser and don't find the website easy to figure out how to see all the choices for each ship.
The Wonder will be down here in fall of 2013.
If you go to find a cruise and click on Galveston for where do you want to depart from, it shows the months available.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/reservations/booking
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Last edited by cruisecrasher; 08-27-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: