Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: The new itinerary shown in the picture...
makes me thrilled. Show me where to sign up! 66 33.33%
makes me upset. I was booked and am jumping ship. So to speak. 10 5.05%
piques my curiousity. I hadn't been interested in the Galveston sailings before, but now am. 57 28.79%
Meh. Just not my cup of tea. 65 32.83%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #31
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I can understand why those who live closer to Galveston than Port Canaveral would like it, but I think it was wrong of DCL to change the itinerary for 2013.

I have a WDW annual pass, so I'd much rather combine a WDW trip with a cruise out of Florida (not necessarily on DCL) than sail out of Galveston.
IIRC, for the NYC cruisers that already have an AP they were given some other perk. Maybe someone with experience can elaborate.

Sounds like DCL is avoiding Mexico as much as possible.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #32
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
IIRC, for the NYC cruisers that already have an AP they were given some other perk. Maybe someone with experience can elaborate.

Sounds like DCL is avoiding Mexico as much as possible.
It has been reported that the one-day park hopper is dated and non-upgradeable. Even if that weren't the case - I have no reason to go to Texas except to go on a cruise from Galveston. I do have a reason to go to FL other than for a cruise.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #33
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
It has been reported that the one-day park hopper is dated and non-upgradeable. Even if that weren't the case - I have no reason to go to Texas except to go on a cruise from Galveston. I do have a reason to go to FL other than for a cruise.
As Texas is the second largest state (by population just after California) and Houston is the fourth largest city, I'm guessing they're banking on people who already live there.
They're already there.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #34
Tinkerjenn
Earning My Ears

We are in Texas and would love to do a cruise out of Galveston but since DH's work schedule we can only go at Christmas (too much $) and during the summer. We were also bummed that none of those stop at CC. Would love the new itinerary.
Tinkerjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #35
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
As Texas is the second largest state (by population just after California) and Houston is the fourth largest city, I'm guessing they're banking on people who already live there.
They're already there.
I understand why DCL is cruising from Galveston, but *I* would not fly there to cruise to Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #36
quirty30
DIS Veteran

I think it's interesting that the Port Canaveral day doesn't end until after 11PM. So if you remain at Disney World, you have to pay for own dinner??? That would not make me happy. That's one of the perks of cruising, having your meals included in the fare. For the record, I'm not booked on one of the cruises, nor would I book one now. Neither the old or new itinerary appeals to me really. And if I want to go to WDW, I'll go to WDW - I don't need a port day there.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #37
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirty30 View Post
I think it's interesting that the Port Canaveral day doesn't end until after 11PM. So if you remain at Disney World, you have to pay for own dinner??? That would not make me happy. That's one of the perks of cruising, having your meals included in the fare. For the record, I'm not booked on one of the cruises, nor would I book one now. Neither the old or new itinerary appeals to me really. And if I want to go to WDW, I'll go to WDW - I don't need a port day there.
Unless a meal is specifically included in the price of an "excursion" - you always pay for your meals when off the ship. Those who go to WDW for the day will pay for both lunch and dinner.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #38
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

I would MUCH rather travel this itinerary than the original one. The Mexico ports don't interest me at all, but I'd love to go to CC and Key West and OK..a full day in WDW is OK..but it would be better if they could pull off a two night stay like they are in SF for the Pacific cruises. I do think it is odd they would change an existing cruise.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #39
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
the new 8 night itinerary for the Spring 2013 Galveston sailings seems to have upset several vocal people, so I was trying to take the overall impression.
Based on this itinerary:

How do you react?

Again, I will ask. How do you have the port times? No one else seems to have this, and from DCL has sent out, it does not include port times.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #40
MousseauMob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish
I am dancing in the streets over this new itinerary! I live just outside Houston, and this new itinerary is perfect for us.

I was so disappointed when the Galveston cruises came out and they did not include Castaway Cay. I really had no interest in going to Mexico, but booked a cruise because that's where the Magic was going. Now, I'm looking to cancel my Thanksgiving cruise and switch to one of the Spring cruises with this fabulous new itinerary. Yes, to me it is fabulous! Now, not only can I cruise out of my backyard on DCL, I can cruise to CC and Key West, and get a chance to see my dad, who lives outside Orlando.

And yes, I'm one of those people who have been hounding Disney to find a way to include CC in the cruises out of Galveston. I've also been bugging them for shorter cruises. So, y'all can blame all this on me.
AH HA - so it is YOU I thank... I mean blame... LOVE IT!! Thank you, thank you, thank you... I mean bad, bad, bad - shame on you.

My excitement aside, I do understand why people are upset with the way things were handled, and I would hate having an 8 night cruise changed to back to back 4 night cruises. Despite the math two fours do not equal one eight.

05/2014 DCL 9 Day Alaska, 04/13 Galveston to WDW, 09/12 HAL Alaska, 04/12 DCL Inaugural Hawaiian Cruise, 09/2011 DL GC and Universal, 05/2011 HAL Alaska, 09/2010 HAL Alaska, 05/2008 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera, 09/2007 DL GC, 04/2007 Celebrity Hawaii, 10/2005 DL GC (Trick or Treat), 06/2005 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera Cruise, 02/2004 DL GC, 01/2003 DL GC, 12/1999 DL PP, 10/1997 DL PP, 05/1995 WDW Dolphin and that big red boat
MousseauMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #41
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher

I got these port times in the confirmation email I received when I booked after I found out about these new itineraries yesterday (thank you dis-ers!)
It's a portion of a screenshot of the confirmation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy

Again, I will ask. How do you have the port times? No one else seems to have this, and from DCL has sent out, it does not include port times.
It's a portion of an email confirmation. I booked this cruise just Monday afternoon when everyone was starting discussing this on here. That's cut from a screenshot of my confirmation email.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #42
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL

Unless a meal is specifically included in the price of an "excursion" - you always pay for your meals when off the ship. Those who go to WDW for the day will pay for both lunch and dinner.
Actually we're ahead since one of the ports was traded for Castaway Cay, and the meals there are included.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #43
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL

I understand why DCL is cruising from Galveston, but *I* would not fly there to cruise to Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral.
Fair enough!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #44
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerjenn
We are in Texas and would love to do a cruise out of Galveston but since DH's work schedule we can only go at Christmas (too much $) and during the summer. We were also bummed that none of those stop at CC. Would love the new itinerary.
I do think it's sad that they won't be here over summer break.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #45
GBChicinMaine
Earning My Ears

I don't know that we'd ever cruise out of Galveston because flying in to Orlando is very convenient for us... but my biggest issue with the Galveston itineraries previously was no stop at Castaway Cay.

Now that they stop there? I'd do it...in a heartbeat. I also enjoy days at sea because there's so much to see and do on board, but I always feel obligated to explore ports!

Last edited by GBChicinMaine; 08-22-2012 at 08:03 PM.
GBChicinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: