Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
Guyton dis lover
Mouseketeer
 
Guyton dis lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Guyton GA
Posts: 177

Smile I have camped at the for every Xmass for the last 7 years.

No free dinning.

Last edited by Guyton dis lover; 04-15-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Guyton dis lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.
 
TheRustyScupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 15-min from WDW.
Posts: 20,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
. . . It was posted that locals were booking rooms just to get the Free dining for a staycation. Or even off site guest getting a value room just for the free credits . . .

1) Also, in the past, families would create "phantom" family members.
2) Example:
. . . family of two-adults and 1-child
. . . would add two more adults to the room
. . . thus, getting twice the adult meals for free
. . . yes, they need park tickets
. . . so they would buy the tix and use them next visit
3) For $75 Value room per day, you get $180 in dining credits per day.
4) That's why some resorts want to see ALL family members during Free Dining.
__________________
[/CENTER]
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #33
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover
 
bama_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,939

I just got back from the Fort and asked this question three different mornings at the checkin desk when things were slow.

No CM said yes they had ever heard of free DDP with a campsite. The closest i got was "i dont know". So i wouldnt hold off waiting for this offer.

Bama Ed
__________________
Apr 1979 Off-site...................... Jan 2001 FW 2200 Loop (cabin)........Dec 2007 FW 900 loop (pop-up)...............................Mar 2014 FW 400 Loop (popup)
Apr 1981 FW Creekside Meadow... Jan 2002 FW 2200 Loop (cabin)........Nov 2009 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Nov 1987 FW 100 Loop(tent) ...... Oct 2003 FW 2000 Loop (tent).........Mar 2011 FW 900/1500 loop (pop-up) to/from KW
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #34
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
I just got back from the Fort and asked this question three different mornings at the checkin desk when things were slow.

No CM said yes they had ever heard of free DDP with a campsite. The closest i got was "i dont know". So i wouldnt hold off waiting for this offer.

Bama Ed
There has never been a free dining discount offered at the campsites. Ever.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #35
loveDmouse
Mickey was first
They need to change the limit on pumps
 
loveDmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,655

I have asked several times when making ressies and am always told they don't need the free dining to fill up the Fort. Sure would be nice if they did. We don't get the dining plan because we fix some meals in our rv but would be nice to have it for free to give it a try. They could limit the free dining for the amount of people they would offer it in a room.
Seems like we will NEVER see free dining for the campsites.
__________________

Always in our Hearts!
loveDmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #36
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,123

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveDmouse View Post
I have asked several times when making ressies and am always told they don't need the free dining to fill up the Fort. Sure would be nice if they did. We don't get the dining plan because we fix some meals in our rv but would be nice to have it for free to give it a try. They could limit the free dining for the amount of people they would offer it in a room.
Seems like we will NEVER see free dining for the campsites.
Would be kind of hard to 'limit' part of a site group at FW. They've never had free dining, and from what I've heard, never will.

Also, the camp sites are much cheaper (during 'free' dining) than any of the hotels including values. The times we have checked when they had the free dining (just for info) the rates of the values were based on four people and was so much per person.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #37
loveDmouse
Mickey was first
They need to change the limit on pumps
 
loveDmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Would be kind of hard to 'limit' part of a site group at FW. They've never had free dining, and from what I've heard, never will.

Also, the camp sites are much cheaper (during 'free' dining) than any of the hotels including values. The times we have checked when they had the free dining (just for info) the rates of the values were based on four people and was so much per person.
The last time I asked about it when I made ressies it wasn't much difference in price for the site (premium) to a value resort room. That was a few years ago. Sadly we haven't been able to come for a few years but we will be there in November. I can't wait!!!

I agree, we will never see it at the Fort.
__________________

Always in our Hearts!
loveDmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #38
chartle
DIS Veteran
 
chartle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pgh
Posts: 14,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveDmouse View Post
The last time I asked about it when I made ressies it wasn't much difference in price for the site (premium) to a value resort room. That was a few years ago. Sadly we haven't been able to come for a few years but we will be there in November. I can't wait!!!

I agree, we will never see it at the Fort.
It has nothing to do with how much you pay for a room/site. It has to do with how much marketing money Disney is willing to pay to lure people to stay onsite.

One FD promo didn't include the brand new Little Mermaid rooms and people thought it was unfair. Fairness is not involved its all about getting heads in beds (a hotel term). If they don't need to spend money to get you to stay somewhere they won't.

The Fort is pretty much the only game in town and is not competing with all the properties on I drive.
__________________
'77 FW Campsite, '99 FW Cabin, Feb '06 Off site Magical Music Days Band Trip, Aug '08 Offsite, Feb '10 Off site Magical Music Days Band Trip, May '11 Offsite, Dec '13 Offsite
ME DW DS24 DS22
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #39
loveDmouse
Mickey was first
They need to change the limit on pumps
 
loveDmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
It has nothing to do with how much you pay for a room/site. It has to do with how much marketing money Disney is willing to pay to lure people to stay onsite.

One FD promo didn't include the brand new Little Mermaid rooms and people thought it was unfair. Fairness is not involved its all about getting heads in beds (a hotel term). If they don't need to spend money to get you to stay somewhere they won't.

The Fort is pretty much the only game in town and is not competing with all the properties on I drive.
Exactly. They have no trouble filling the sites. The Fort is wonderful enough on it's own.
__________________

Always in our Hearts!
loveDmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #40
brizzer79
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 56

I know I will get the disHATERS who say I am full of it but I did have free dining at the campsites in 2011. I know I know I have been through this with dozens of the "experts" who say I am mistaken and that I could have had someone pay for it without knowing it ?? Really someone magically paid over $1k for a stranger?? Anyway we got an offer in the mail and I called and asked if I could add it to my existing reservation. I had no idea how good I had it when we did and it was only my second time going to Disney as an adult with my first child (I have gone dozens of times with my parents growing up). It was an offer for free dining and we called and they added it to our reservations FOR FREE. I have since tried and failed at getting it added to later trips for the campsites but I say never give up and each time its offered call and try. It has worked before... even if it was a mistake on Disney's part.
brizzer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #41
chartle
DIS Veteran
 
chartle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pgh
Posts: 14,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzer79 View Post
I know I will get the disHATERS who say I am full of it but I did have free dining at the campsites in 2011. I know I know I have been through this with dozens of the "experts" who say I am mistaken and that I could have had someone pay for it without knowing it ?? Really someone magically paid over $1k for a stranger?? Anyway we got an offer in the mail and I called and asked if I could add it to my existing reservation. I had no idea how good I had it when we did and it was only my second time going to Disney as an adult with my first child (I have gone dozens of times with my parents growing up). It was an offer for free dining and we called and they added it to our reservations FOR FREE. I have since tried and failed at getting it added to later trips for the campsites but I say never give up and each time its offered call and try. It has worked before... even if it was a mistake on Disney's part.
I think this is probably the case. You somehow got a phone CM that somehow figured out (most likely by mistake or a bug in the system) how to add it to a campsite.

Or it was supernatural pixie dust.
__________________
'77 FW Campsite, '99 FW Cabin, Feb '06 Off site Magical Music Days Band Trip, Aug '08 Offsite, Feb '10 Off site Magical Music Days Band Trip, May '11 Offsite, Dec '13 Offsite
ME DW DS24 DS22
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #42
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.
 
TheRustyScupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 15-min from WDW.
Posts: 20,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
It has nothing to do with how much you pay for a room/site. It has to do with how much marketing money Disney is willing to pay to lure people to stay onsite.

1) Partially true.
2) Free Dining is meant to fill rooms.
3) But, the offer depends upon the room price.
. . . they now give Free Dining for QS at Values, not full DDP
. . . guests can upgrade, but don't get the full DDP for free at Values
. . . they don't give Free Dining for campsites
4) Remember, the Hotels pay for Free Dining , not the parks.
5) So, the Resort General Mgr is still held to profit goals.

NOTE: When I work The Fort, we get the question all the time. It
is easy to just explain sites can have 10-people, and the site price
would not support Free Dining. Disney does not Give Away sites.
__________________
[/CENTER]
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover
 
bama_ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzer79 View Post
I know I will get the disHATERS who say I am full of it but I did have free dining at the campsites in 2011.
brizzer, I don't doubt you.

And don't worry, the haters are long gone.

As you said at the end of post, it worked once and hasn't worked since (and I don't blame you for trying). It was probably the exception/rare mistake on Disney's part.

Although I will say (since I got back from the Fort this week) how surprised I was that the Premium and Full sites didn't fill up over the weekend. I didn't get over to 300 to check the Preferreds. But I thought these beautiful spring weekends would fill the Fort. And the Partial loops were in fact full over the weekend.

The historical price increases may be catching up to Disney and they may need to stimulate Fort occupancy outside of the Halloween, Easter, Christmas windows at some point. But they must not be there yet.

Bama Ed
__________________
Apr 1979 Off-site...................... Jan 2001 FW 2200 Loop (cabin)........Dec 2007 FW 900 loop (pop-up)...............................Mar 2014 FW 400 Loop (popup)
Apr 1981 FW Creekside Meadow... Jan 2002 FW 2200 Loop (cabin)........Nov 2009 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Nov 1987 FW 100 Loop(tent) ...... Oct 2003 FW 2000 Loop (tent).........Mar 2011 FW 900/1500 loop (pop-up) to/from KW
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182

Last edited by bama_ed; 04-21-2013 at 02:40 PM.
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #44
brizzer79
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 56

Thanks Bama Ed for not giving me the Disney slap Since my first day on here I have had so much help from many wonderful people!! I love this site and the info I get from here. We have only stayed in the more expensive site. We had an RV pull through that was right beside the movie area in 2011 and that is what I have booked for September. Crazy thing is that even taking out the FD thing it would be cheaper for me to give up my site for a basic room in a value. I would save quite a bit on my 9 day trip. Currently for my family of 4 my bill for stay,play,& dine is $2780. We estimate an additional $925 for fuel from Indiana. I can switch to a value for just a smidge less and when/if free dining is offered with the upgrade to the nicer dining package my bill would be $2200 even including the extra day that we would have used up for travel. They should offer some type of discount for the campsites even if it isn't FD. Hopefully they realize it soon because I love the campsites. Would prefer to stay there every time but my husband hates the drive. The fact that it is cheaper to stay at a resort gives him the upper hand
brizzer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #45
articfox676
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
brizzer, I don't doubt you.

And don't worry, the haters are long gone.

As you said at the end of post, it worked once and hasn't worked since (and I don't blame you for trying). It was probably the exception/rare mistake on Disney's part.

Although I will say (since I got back from the Fort this week) how surprised I was that the Premium and Full sites didn't fill up over the weekend. I didn't get over to 300 to check the Preferreds. But I thought these beautiful spring weekends would fill the Fort. And the Partial loops were in fact full over the weekend.

The historical price increases may be catching up to Disney and they may need to stimulate Fort occupancy outside of the Halloween, Easter, Christmas windows at some point. But they must not be there yet.

Bama Ed



We have also been to the Fort riding our bikes and noticed the empty sites. This would be a Sat. and I would say in general the sites are about 60 to 70% occupied. Sometimes they even have one or two loops closed. I guess there is no way to get around maintenance.
articfox676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.