Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #46
frankieeyre
Mouseketeer

This is amazing! I love hearing all about people on the DCP! Cannot wait to you write some more!!

I have never heard about anyone in the DCP in costuming! Is it really fun? Do you help make cast member costumes or do you help out the princesses with their dresses?

So excited for more! Hope you are having an amazing time!!

P.S Im disney_frankie following you on twitter and instagram!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #47
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Seriously Alicia, you are making me SO excited to do the DCP! I canít WAIT for the day when I can do it.

The whole check in process sounds totally nuts and so many lines to go in but of course it is totally worth it I can tell!

I am DYING to read more.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #48
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

sounds like an exhausting day! Cant wait to see what room you got. -Amanda
Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #49
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Alicia, as a cast member do u get free entrance to the parks whenever? Like could you go to MNSSHP if you wanted?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #50
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Had to catch up with this thread after we returned from our trip. I can't wait to hear more about your apartment and learning about the "Disney way".

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #51
Windsor Princesses
Mouseketeer

How exciting!! I always wondered what the Disney Housing was like, so it was nice to get a little information on each of the different ones. It's just so great to get to read along with you on your journey, Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #52
Leasha_Loves_Disney
Please stand clear of the door; Por favor mantťnganse alejado de las puertas (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunlenese View Post
So i think is is funny becasue chatham was like patterson on my DCP but we did have our parties and they were not crazy like vista. I know cause i spent a few good times over there. I see they have changed a few things. we did everythingat vista. The first stop was room and where you work and we never went to casting. You will make great friends and its one place where you can meet just as many disney crazies as you! I cannot believe you all got up so early! I mean they were saying that in 2007 but i dont think anyone did or maybe they did but not me

I haven't really been to Vista, currently all the housing events go on at Chatham and a part of me would love to have stayed there but for only $1 difference we decided to go all out lol.

I can't imagine having gone through all of those stops at Vista!!! I have no idea where they would have put everyone. Maybe it was different because they use to have every fill out their information packets at home and bring them with you, they don't do that anymore, we had to fill everything out electronically and then they had to check it with us in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
AGGGGHHHH omg super exciting!!!!! I love it!!!!

You are going to be here so sooooooon!!! Thanks for reading along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarin4Disney View Post
Joining in. Love to read behind-the-scenes reports like this. Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience with us. I feel like i'm right there with you. Love Disney!!!!

Yay, thanks for reading a long and I am so glad you are enjoying it. I figure if there is anyone out there looking to do the program this will be a huge help. Considering I felt completely lost coming into it, this will at least give everyone a basic idea of what it's like/about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieeyre View Post
This is amazing! I love hearing all about people on the DCP! Cannot wait to you write some more!!

I have never heard about anyone in the DCP in costuming! Is it really fun? Do you help make cast member costumes or do you help out the princesses with their dresses?

So excited for more! Hope you are having an amazing time!!

P.S Im disney_frankie following you on twitter and instagram!

It's AMAZING. the first position I was trained in was so slow and kind of terrible BUT two weeks ago I started training on day parade and basically now I just help the princesses get dressed all day. IT'S PERFECT!!! I really lucked out getting into entertainment costuming. I know people who got stuck in operational costuming which is basically a giant dry cleaners where they do the attractions and restaurants laundry.

It's the best time ever, I couldn't be happier that I moved down here when I did. It's absolutely amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsDis View Post
Seriously Alicia, you are making me SO excited to do the DCP! I canít WAIT for the day when I can do it.

The whole check in process sounds totally nuts and so many lines to go in but of course it is totally worth it I can tell!

I am DYING to read more.

Get excited Meg because it will literally be the best experience of your life!!!

It was complet chaos, which is most likely why they give you the following day off haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
sounds like an exhausting day! Cant wait to see what room you got. -Amanda

It was so exhausting but we were pushing through on adrenaline all day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Alicia, as a cast member do u get free entrance to the parks whenever? Like could you go to MNSSHP if you wanted?

I do get free entrances to all the parks and for right now water parks!!! However I do not get free specialty events admission, on select days we get discounts but anything outside park hours we have to pay for. Also, we weren't allowed to participate in extra magic hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Had to catch up with this thread after we returned from our trip. I can't wait to hear more about your apartment and learning about the "Disney way".

I hope you had a wonderful get away!!! More about the apartment REALLY SOON. Thanks as always for follwoing along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Princesses View Post
How exciting!! I always wondered what the Disney Housing was like, so it was nice to get a little information on each of the different ones. It's just so great to get to read along with you on your journey, Thanks!

You will soon find out all about Disney housing!!! Thanks for reading along, I'm glad that you are enjoying and following along with my adventure
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #53
Leasha_Loves_Disney

The Race Is On!!!

Vooooooooom, we were off in a flash. I really had no idea where my other roommates were in relation to me in the process. I had seen them for seconds at a time while filtering through the casting building, but at this moment I was unaware of if they had gotten back to the hotel yet or worse!!! If they had been at the apartment moving in already.

We literally had no idea where we were going. Disney doesn’t give you an address or anything. Basically once you leave Vista you are on your own. We tried using siri on Ryan’s phone but she was NO HELP. Luckily there were signs around that actually said Patterson Court/Chatam Square. It was about a 5-minute drive all in all.

We slowly pulled in, thank goodness the first day you get a free pass and don’t have to sign anyone in because that would have been a pain!!! We looked for our buildings I am in 10 and Ryan is in 11, perfect!!! We are basically neighbors so that’s a plus. We each grabbed one small item from the car, just big enough to take in and throw on a bed to claim our territory. I said goodbye to Ryan for two seconds while we rushed off to my apartment to see what was up.

They are really very spacious, fully furnished and supplied with dishes (for the most part). Decent size kitchen and a nice size living room. How ever the rooms are not all created equal. Here is a tip for future DCP participants: above the doors in very faint white paint (on the cream walls) there is a number about each room. The lower the number the bigger the room. #1 is right off the living room and has THE MOST floor space, the downside is as I said before it’s right off the main living area so if you are trying to go to sleep and your roommates are watching tv or skyping until 3am it’s going to get kind of annoying if you are a light sleeper. Rooms #2 and #3 are right on top of each other and are basically the same size. All have their own bathrooms and decent size closets.

Now here was my dilemma, do I take room #1? It has the most space and I did after all get here first. BUT do I really want everyone to be mad at me for taking the biggest room? I could just go with room #2 and be great friends with room #3 because they literally might as well just be sharing a room. After looking at the lay out of all the rooms I decided to go with #1. My mother said if you wouldn’t have picked that one I would have regretted driving all the way down here!!! Haha

So I called Ryan and he was having the same dilemma. One or Two?! I told him I went with one and he did the same. We took the rest of our stuff out of the car, dragged it up the three flights of stairs, did I mention we ended up on the third floor? It was a pain on move in day but ended up being a blessing in disguise. Ryan ended up on the first floor, the apartment above him is leaking into his and the people upstairs sound like elephants apparently. Once the car was unloaded we went back to the Holiday Inn to get the rest of our stuff and check out of the hotel.

We got back just as everyone else in my apartment was moving their stuff in, we dropped mine and ran so that Hattie would have enough space to move all her stuff in. While we waited we helped Ryan bring all his stuff into his room.

Once Ryan was settled in we went back over to my room to get my stuff in order. It was basically freshman year of college all over again. Meeting every one’s parents. Trying to claim space for your stuff without getting in anyone else’s way and finding the exact right spot for everything.

I first things first I put my bed up on my bed risers. I literally have a princess bed!!! I was just in Ryan’s room the other day skyping some friends from school and his roommate doesn’t have bed risers it was so funny to see. Anyways thank goodness Hattie has the same height ones as I do because our room would be looking a little funny of she didn’t.

Anyways we got most of my stuff settled in and then everyone went out to do family things/get food/go grocery shopping. Except Hattie who was still moving her stuff in. She literally brought EVERYHING with her, thank goodness I grabbed us the big room or else we wouldn’t fit. To give her parents and her some room Ma, Pa and I went out to dinner. We ended up going to Giordano’s pizza, for those of you who don’t know it’s a place that serves deep dish Chicago style pizza which just so happens to be my FAVORITE. The only downside, I hadn’t eaten anything substantial in two day, I was starving and a pizza that size takes a long time to cook. Once the pizza got there though I forgot how hungry I was after one slice. SO BIG. I wish I had taken pictures of it but I wasn’t thinking.

From there my mother had to decide if she wanted to stay another night or if she wanted to drive home now. They opted to wait until the next afternoon. We drove to a Marriot down the street, kind of an in between from where we stayed the night before and where I was living now. She went in and asked if they had any rooms at the price they had advertised on the website and they did!!! She checked in and they went to the pool while I passed out for a few hours in their bed.

Later that night they drove me back to the apartment and we said our goodbyes for the night. When I got back I was the only one there so I decided to take a few pictures.

This is the view of the living room from mine and Hattie’s room

In this picture upper left corner are the doors to room #2 and #3 room two is on the left the door next to it is a locked utility closet and room # three you can see beucase it right on the wall behind the chair. So like I said before rooms #2 and #3 are right on top of one another.

The view of the dinning room/kitchen. My room would be right off to the right

Like this…

the kitchen is a pretty decent size for an apartment, in my opinion anyways

It’s got your basic, oven/stove, microwave, fridge, and even a dishwasher!!! The only thing they don’t really supply you with is a toaster which is a pain.

Basically this is the view of the entire place. Not to big but it’s certainly enough space for all of us seeing how we all haven’t been here at one time since the day we moved in or when we are sleeping.

Now to go into my room. Clearly I am the bed on the left with all the tangled stuff that you might remember from my PTR. Also I am a lefty so I always pick the left. As you can see I lucked out, Hattie loves Disney and being young too so we have a completely Disney decked out bedroom she has Minnie mouse bedding and I have Rapunzel but we both bonded over the fact that we wanted the Ariel bedding but the store didn’t have it. We actually both bought them from the same department store!!!

close up on just my side

At first I was terrified to sit on my bed. I thought it was going to collapse but I am happy to say that the bed risers are going strong and were the perfect solution for storing my GIANT suit case

Each room has one mirror and dresser so everyone gets three drawers (that are too small to fit anything in!!!). I knew this ahead of time from having friends who did the program so I planned accordingly. I brought down plastic drawers and TONS of organizational closet things. Most of my roommates found out once they got here and ended up purchasing everything I had brought with me. That being said you will be able to find stuff down here, it’s up to you whether you want to bring it or not. Remember: there will be TONS of other people moving in on the same day and when you move it it’s around back to school time so you might not have the best choices in stores here.

The bathroom is split up so that the sink is outside, in between the closet and the room with the toilet/shower.

Hattie’s aunt was kind enough to buy her all the Disney bathroom stuff we would need: Shower curtain (the bathroom comes with a clear shower curtain liner), bath mat and trash can (as I said before we have THE Disney room)

Continue to Part 2

Last edited by Leasha_Loves_Disney; 09-21-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #54
Leasha_Loves_Disney

Apartment Tour Continued

Then we have our GIANT closet (the other two rooms have closest but they are no where near as big so get to your apartment EARLY!!!)

Hattieís side is kind of an explosion because as I said earlier she brought everything with her. Her family drove down and the car was packed inside and out.

The rooms are also equipped with two lockers, one for each roommate to house your valuables. I decided to put the start of my Disney magnet collection on mine (I get a new magnet for each trip now, I started that as you can tell two trips ago haha I wanted to get one each time with the year on it so I can always remember the years I went to Disney because all of my trips have run together and I canít remember any more haha)

My side with all my pink organizational things. The slim hangers are PERFECT for anyone who was wondering, they are such a space saver and they just hang things very nicely specifically the ones I bought because they have rubber grips that donít let anything slide off of them. The sweater organizer, which I use for t-shirts was a HUGE help too. Like I said before there isnít much drawer space and this is compact and makes good use of the closet space. The bins is where I put my overflow of food as you can see. The pantry is not big at all, there isnít even enough room for everyone to have their own shelf so my food is just split up.

back out to the bedroom here is a close up picture of my beautiful bedding, I find I love the way it looks when itís made so itís always tidy

itís just so darn perfect!!! And I donít even care that it makes me look like a five year old.

My side of the room, each person also gets a nightstand and a bulletin board. My board has begun to take over the entire wall. BUT here is another tip, leave your posters at home. The housing providers have very strict rules, there can be nothing on the wall except that bulletin board, so whatever you can fit on there are the only decorations you can have in your entire room. No sticky back, no picture frames and no easy off command strips are allowed. You can try to hang things but they have inspections/surprise inspections so I am too scarred to even try. I donít want to get termed for something so stupid.

This is a close up of my friendship wall, all the people who mean the most to me made it to Florida with me. Itís a fabulous thing to do, print out pictures and bring them with you!!! It can get kind of lonely in the first few days and itís nice to be able to look and see all the faces of those you love and who support you.

Like I said before, my board is definitely being used to itís maximum potential I have EVERYTHING up there, including my ever growing collection of pins. Hattie and I call them our official pin trading boards and joke about how we are going to start allowing guest to come and trade with us, we are legit.

All my friends who made the trip. Pluto from mine and Andyís trip, flounder from Disney on ice and loserface my present from Andy on our first Christmas together way back when.

My nightstand which is also Disney-fied

The light that you see is PERFECT. I actually bought it at Walmart on day two (where it was the last one because of all the moves ins and back to schoolers) but thatís beside the point. It had an outlet on it which is perfect because all the outlets are placed in really stupid locations!!! I wouldnít have a place to charge my phone any where near my bed if it wasnít for this. So if you are planning to come down extension cords and surge protectors are a must!!!

Our room and view once we got it all set up. If you look on Hattieís night stand you will see what looks like balloons, itís actually her lamp and I am obsessed with it!!! Itís from her room when she was a baby and is Mickey and Pluto holding onto balloons, its perfect.

Ok so there are just a few more things to show you, off the living room, closer to rooms #2 and #3 there is a patio

Chelseyís family was kind enough to buy us patio furniture (which I guess we arenít technically suppose to have) although we hardly ever go out there, mainly because we are all really busy and also because itís nasty and could use a good power washing.

This is the view from our patio and what all the buildings in Patterson look like

Just to the left of our building is the entrance to the complex itís basically a three second walk, we really lucked out!!! There are some buildings that seem very secluded and far away.

The first night was no where near as awkward as I thought it would be, thank goodness we had all talked online for months before hand because we were all just really comfortable around one another. We talked about how our day was and our work schedule, and what our costumes would be. The thing is none of us had all the same information. I had my work schedule for the first full week but some people only had the first day or two. The schedules include: traditions times, starting days, classes, and training day. We all wondered what the things meant, literally Disney gives you no explanations about anything.

I also knew my costume but others didnít. At this point none of us still knew exactly where we would be working which was the biggest pain of all. I just felt very in the dark, everyone at home was asking what I would be doing and I still had no idea, I went through basically they entire first week like that, which was unfortunate. I did however know that this would be my costume.

No one else had any ideas of what they would be wearing so they were all a little jealous.

That about wraps up my first full day in Florida. We had the following day off to get settled in and then the follwing day we would have traditions!!! The true welcome to the Walt Disney Company. AHHHHHHHHHH

Tune In Next Time!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #55
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Your apartment looks really nice! And I love how you Disney-fied your room. It looks awesome!

And I LOVE your bathroom.

Thatís kind of cool they have lockers in your closets for your valuables. And I HAVE to ask. Where did you get that Mickey Mouse Club magnet?!

Wow, I didnít realize they were that strict about having stuff on your walls.

SO excited to hear about traditions!!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #56
Blissikins
Earning My Ears

Your Disneyfied room looks awesome! I can't wait to hear about Traditions.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #57
ssimpson01
Earning My Ears

Hey Alicia!! I'm joining in too! Can't wait to go back and read everything. I'll be applying for Fall 2013 in January. So excited!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #58
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Joining!! I wish I had done the college program! So now I'm mentioning it to my kids all the time so THEY will do it when they are old enough!

BTW, after college, I traveled for my sorority for a year and left my boyfriend at home...so reading your story makes me relive the sadness of leaving him, but the excitement of a new adventure!! This was back in 1998 when no one had a cell phone and AOL was just becoming popular. We made it through just fine and have now been married 12 years! You guys will be great and have a stronger relationship for having gone through this!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #59
DisneyDreamerMN
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Can't wait to read all about your adventure!

No one needs to know we are going to Disney again...right? May/June 2011 TR

HS choir trip March 1999 off site , POR April 2009, POR Nov.2009, POR Oct. 2010, WL May 2011, POP Nov. 2011
POP May 2012, WL Dec 2012, POP Oct 2013, DCL Dream Feb 2014
Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #60
bluechic03
DIS Veteran

So Cool!

I am really LOVING reading your updates! I was not able to participate in the College Program because some unfortunate family stuff that happened in High School/College so I am always regretting not getting to do it Getting to read about your experience makes me feel like I get to go back in time and experience it too! Thanks so much for writing this!!!!

My hubby and I go once a year at least and he always promises me we will retire and work at Disney though so I have some hope of being a cast member someday When you see all the behind the scenes stuff, does it make it any less magical? That's something I have always wondered....

An April Dining Report!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post48266800

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: