Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

Celebrating 5th Bday and 4th Forever Family Day 3\11-3\16 POR

Welcome to my trip report. Getting ready to jump on in but let me tell you about my sweet family. its me, Amy (38), DH Michael (41) and our precious DD LynnMarie who turned 5 on this trip. We are also celebrating becoming a family 4 years ago in China . This was a trip to make some sweet memories and see some family around central Florida

Read our family's adoption story at www.thechristopherfamily.blogspot.com

Last edited by AmyandMichael; 03-19-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

The background info

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

The background info

We had been planning on a Disney trip and since we would be celebrating 2 big holidays in one week, I thought it would be an awesome experience. We have family in central Florida, so we thought we would see them as well. I started working with a great agent and had the whole trip planned way in advance! Thanks to everyone on these boards!

A few warnings.

1) I am not a good writer.
2) I will share the not so good stuff. There is not a lot of it, but I will be honest about it. We had a wonderful time, and I will share as much as I can remember. Ask away. I will try to remember as much as I can.
3) I am a pediatric night shift nurse and hubby works for Boars Head. My DD is 5 and well, she is 5 and loves anything Princessy! I wanted this trip to not only enjoy Disney but to have some quality time as a family

Last edited by AmyandMichael; 03-19-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to hearing the good and the bad. Your daughter is beautiful
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

Day 1- Driving to Orlando

So this is the boring post. Since we have family in Orlando, we left Monday morning to spend the night with the MIL before hitting WDW on Tuesday morning. Grandma was fostering 7 kittens at the time, so that was another plus. We had dinner at a small family owned Italian restaurant and attempted to go to bed early as I wanted to get there as soon as possible. We knew our room would not be ready, but had heard we could drop off our bags and take bus over to MK, so that was the plan! 5-7 days before, I had faxed over our room request. I never heard anything, but that did not matter at all. We were ready for our celebration! Tomorrow, MK! Stay tuned!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
sue_88
DIS veteran

Good start. Looking forward to more report.

My first trip report. In progress!
Let's Start with Art!! A November 2013 Trip Report
[/URL]
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

The Next morning

Woke the family up at 8 because my plan was to get to POR by 9 and on the bus by 10. I had the whole day planned but quickly learned to relax and go with the flow. We woke up to the sound of a little rain and since I forgot to check the weather, we learned it would be drizzling until the afternoon. NO big deal. We can deal with drizzle. The MIL asked me if we had time for her to make my hubbys favorite breakfast and since I was trying to chill out, I gave the ok. I wasnt really giving an ok, but you know what I mean. So we finished breakfast and we were out the door before 10. We were staying at the Port Orleans Riverside and since we were staying in Orlando, it did not not take us long to find the beautiful property. We parked (and it was not too bad) and the three of us got our documents and headed to the check in line. We were greeted by Arielle and got a very warm welcome. There was a little line but nothing to whine about. We were told our room was not ready yet but we would be in builiding 90, the closest one to the restaurant and main bus stop. After getting birthday mail from Tianna, DD was ready to get going. We had rented a stroller from themeparkstrollers (awesome customer service and cheap too), so we got the stroller and began to walk to the bus area.

Ok, I had read a lot of bad news about the MK buses at POR. I was prepared to wait. Once again, we waited but seriously, its WDW. You are going to have to wait at some point. Suck it up and enjoy. We got on a bus and off we went (and the bus was not full). Oh our DD loved the music and narrative on the bus. Great way to start our trip... Pics in next post I promise.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
teacherlisa1978
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading more. We have a son who is almost 3, adopted from Korea at 17 months old. We celebrated his being home for nearly a year last August at French Quarter. No better place to celebrate your family than WDW!

Carsland, Candy Corn, and Caramel Macchiatos-a DLR Trip Report
Disneyland: 1989, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2013
Disneyland Paris: 1994-free trip won through the Disney Store!
Walt Disney World: 1992, 1997, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

In for your TR!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

So where did we leave off? Oh yeah, we took the ME bus to Magic Kingdom. After walking through security, we took it all in. We were finally here! We were so very excited. We got our maps and by this time it had stop raining. We walked down Mainstreet and just walked the park for a bit.I immediately spotted where we could find the Princesses on our next day. It was getting close to 1 and we knew we had dinner reservations later (we are on the dining plan) and decided to stop for lunch. We went ahead and ate at the Harbour House (I think thats what it was called) and had a lot of seafood. We knew we had eaten there before and it was good. They also had very nice restroom and sweet girl made a mess so we got to clean her up a bit. I mention this because we had semi-funny experience there.

Not to be TMI, we were in the large stall. All of a sudden we here, "Help, let me out, I am stuck" and then nothing. I said Hello? and got no response. I heard it 3 more times every 45 seconds. I seriously thought we were being punked as I did not see anyone in the bathroom when we came in. We just stayed quiet for a minute until I heard the door rattle. Scared me to death. So we went out to help, and saw a sweet lady being unlocked. I felt soooo bad but glad she was ok. I saw her laughing as she left so I am glad it was a fun experience. We walked around and saw that Its a Small World only had a 5 minute wait. I used several apps and that's what it said. It was wrong but we only waited 20 minutes but thats ok because the line always moves fast. This was my daughters favorite ride, by far!

We saw lots of lines so we headed towards the new FantasyLand and got in line for the new Ariel ride. Well, I thought IASW was my daughters favorite until this one but this was fabulous. The line was ok but it was a but musty when you get to the inside line but I was assuming it was because of all the people and the recent rain. Anywho,it was a great ride and it was amazing to see my daughter giggle like that. We then walked over to the Goofy area and walked around. We got in line for our first character meets, Minnie and Daisy in the circus area! It was a fun line and then we used our snack credit to got some cotton candy.

We watched the end of the show in front of the castle and then waited A LONG time for the Jungle cruise, but we loved it. I would not wait that long for that ride again. While walking there, I found a Dole Whip stand (I had heard many lovely things about this) so I knew we where we could find it later. After the jungle cruise, we wrapped it up and headed to the monorail. Next up, a very special dinner.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...psde1ae2ab.jpg

Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
wiscbugs
Loving everything Disney!

Your daughter is adorable...I am sure she loved it!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

She did love it! Loved everything about it. But the interactions with the princesses were the best. Tianna and Arielle were awesome. Wish you could see the video. Loved the trip. Not much I would change but more time to explore the hotel property!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

Will work on more soon. Working 3 nights in a row and have to go back to bed!!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #14
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

[IMG][/IMG]So we did a half day at Disney and had reservations over at the Grand Floridian for dinner with Cinderella! We were so excited. We were told to be on the monorail at 6 for our dinner at 7 but we were ready to get on by 545! So after we got in the wrong line for the monorail, we walked around and got on the right one! I love the monorail. I had read that some people do a whole monorail meal where you stop one place for drinks and an appetizer, one for main course and one for the dessert! I can see how fun that would be. We enjoyed our own little car and hubby took a quick rest but DD and just looked at everything. I loved seeing the other hotels.

So, the monorail stopped at Grand Floridan and we got off. We walked in the hotel and immediately felt out of place in our shorts. UGh. I should have known better. Then we saw lots of people coming out of the dinner in shorts and felt much better. This is a beautiful hotel. We sat near the man playing piano and rested for a minute. IT was such beautiful music and DH loved hearing the music from Les Mis. So. I took DD to clean up and put on her princess dress and went to check in. It was 6:15 and the guy said he could go ahead and seat us. Yeah!!!. So we went ahead in and had our family pic taken (I wish I had known this, I would have worn something different) and went ahead and got seated.

Food: Awesome! SOmething for everyone including little buffets for little people. Make sure you check both sides because there is different food everywhere!

Character Dining: So much fun. This was a great experience for daughter. Prince Charming was a true prince. I do not want to give to much away, but they make sure everyone has a great time. We went ahead and told our waitress we were dehydrated and warned her we were going to be emptying those glasses quickly. We are coke zero drinkers. I know we should have drank water but whatever. She took such good care of us and we made sure we took care of her as well.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

The ending of Day 1

So my plan was to take the monorail over the Polynesian after dinner to see the fireworks. But we were TIRED! The next day was going to a big one as it was our sweet girls birthday so we headed back to the hotel and called for our bags. We finally got to see our room and I will add pics later. We had a royal room in building 90 at POR and I would recommend that. I got sweet girl ready for bed and daddy went to get our mugs since they were included in our dining package. We had a few Mickey letters waiting for DD and even a message for her! WHen we got there, we had a note saying the hotel had changed to a different type of cable but we had no interruptions. I was sad it was so dark since I really wanted to check out the property but that would come later.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: