Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
kbritton
Earning My Ears

Picture storage at Disney World

Leaving August 24th for Disney and need some advice.

I am a Mac user and will be shooting in raw. My wife will be bringing her pc lap top which I know nothing about. Should I get a 1tb portable external drive to hook up to her pc. How would I transfer picts from camera to the drive. This will not format them in anyway that I would have a problem bringing them on to my Mac.

Thanks for any help kb
kbritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Just throw your memory card into the PC, go into the folder that has the pictures and select and cut so it takes them all off the card. Then on the pc itself make a folder anywhere, preferably in the picture folder, then paste them all into that folder until you get home and are able to them on your Mac, or make a folder on your external hard drive and dump them on that for now. Thats what I do on my trips and seems to work for me. Im sure others may have a more streamlined way to do that also.

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Exactly - just plug the memory card into the card reader on the laptop, or if it doesn't have one, bring the camera's USB cable along. Once plugged in, her laptop may have an automatic Windows picture downloader that triggers...but you don't need to use it...just close it if it pops up. Go into the Windows Explorer menu of the computer, and the card reader's drive (or the camera's drive when plugged in via USB) will show up in the drive list, so you can click on it, see all the photos stored on the card (RAW & JPG & video or anything else)...just highlight it all, and drag it to where you want to copy it on the computer. If the external hard drive is also plugged in to the computer, it will show up as a drive selection too, and you can drag photos directly to the external drive.

Personally, I always copy my photos from camera cards to my netbook, and then ALSO copy them to a portable external drive...I like having the extra copies on the netbook's drive - so I always have two copies of my photos on two different drives.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: