Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Recent Visitors to Cabo and PV

Looking ahead to the excursion choices for Cabo and PV as they are stops on the Panama Canal Cruise we will be taking next year.

Does anyone have any recommendations on DCL excursions at either of these two ports? DH and I are not into zip lining or dolphins, lol, and we are looking at some of the small towns, beach resorts, shopping, etc.

Please let me know any experiences as I am a bit concerned about safety at these stops. Thanks much!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
mybeachbabies
Mouseketeer

We went on the Mexican Riviera cruise in March. We felt safe the entire time. In Puerto Vallarta, we did the Las Caletas excursion. It was wonderful and had something for everyone...the beach, spa, kids adventures, sea lion, scuba etc. You walk from where the cruise ship is docked right around the corner to get on the boat that takes you to Las Caletas.

In Cabo, we went to a section of Medano Beach near the Villa la Estancia. It was a beautiful beach and we also felt safe there.

Dream 11/6/11 ~ Wonder MR 3/18/12 ~ Wonder Pacific Coast 10/7/12 ~ Fantasy Eastern 6/15/13 ~ Wonder San Diego 5/17/14 ~ Fantasy Western 6/7/14
mybeachbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

In Puerto Vallarta, my absolute favorite is Las Caletas. I've been there 5 times, and could go again and again. If you want to do a swim with the sea lions, you can sign up for that on the boat ride over. It's usually $60 per person (payable on the boat) but they often have a discounted rate for 2 or more people together.

The last time we were in Cabo, just a month ago, we did the "Salsa & Salsa" excursion that takes you to a resort, you make salsas and margaritas and then have time to relax at the resort pool. It was really nice.
We've also done whale watching & snorkeling via catamarans and Zodiak, and also just a day at different resorts. You can't lose with any of those choices.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

I did the DCL Mexican Riviera in April. In Cabo, I did the Coastal Highlights and Mexican Fiesta & Folkloric show. In PV, I did the Historic Towns & Tequila Making tour. I thought both were good.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Las Caletas and the Historic Towns both look great. Maybe the Salsa one in Cabo.

Thanks for the input folks! I love hearing opinions from those who have been there... We got off in Ensenada on the Hawaii cruise in May and boy that place was pretty scary. These ports sound much nicer!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Salsa and Salsa is done at the Finisterra Resort...below is a link if you want to see it.

http://www.finisterra.com/
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Well, I guess we aren't "recent" anymore ( ), but last October we did the Harbor Cruise and Scenic Stop tour through DCL.

We enjoyed it.

At the end of the description you will see there is the option to get dropped off in the center of downtown. We did that. Ran an important (for us) errand/tourist stop via a hired pedi-cab. We negotiated a rate (US cash) for him to take us to where we wanted to go, wait for us, and take us back to the ship. We paid 1/3 upon arrival at our stop and the rest after being dropped off a less-than-five-minute walk from the ship.

We had a great day.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Any one else have feedback?
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
pixielizzie
dreaming of the Wonder!

Love Las Caletas

We went on the MR cruise this past November and did Las Caletas. Quite wonderful, although the water was a bit rough. In Cabo we got the obligatory water taxi and did the tour of Los Arcos and Lover's Beach and were dropped of on Medano beach. The swarm of vendors was a bit much for me so we snuck into a hotel pool. Nice way to spend Thanksgiving! The next day we walked around Cabo out of the tourist district and into the regular neighborhoods. I never felt nervous in Cabo. We didn't see much of PV but I think we did well by having an excursion booked. We had time to explore the city but I just wasn't feeling it!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

We had a different experience because we were sailing with a 3 month old. We decided we would do our own excursion in PV since we didn't want to be a bus/car ride from the port. We wanted to be able to walk back to the ship when we wanted in case the baby had enough. So we walked over to the Crown Paradise and I think it was around $135 for day passes for 3 adults and 3 kids. Some of the kids we didn't have to pay for because they were 3yo and 3mo at the time.

The Crown Paradise is right across the street literally. It is maybe a 2 minute walk. We spent more time walking to Starbucks to get a coffee than we did walking to that resort. As far as the resort itself goes it is a pretty average pool resort. It had an adult pool and a children's pool. The children's pool was awesome and was huge. The kids really loved it. They also had an attendant who was actually giving time outs to kids who were doing things they shouldn't like climbing up slides, going down 2 at a time, etc... so we really appreciated that. The food was blah but we weren't there for the food but it and drinks (adult and etc...) were included in the day pass.

The beach is public there and it was great except for the vendors. There are covered chairs etc... The beach itself is nice even though someone tried to tell us it was rocky which there were rocks but they were huge and not something you walked on or were annoyed by. They added to the experience to me. Here are some photos of the kids pool and beach.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: