Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
Nature Mom
I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.

Help! Can't decide which lenses to rent for upcoming trip

Hello all! Have a trip coming up in 10 more days and I wanted to rent a lens or two to add to what I have so I can get some great shots but can't decide what I want (or need).

Last year, on advice I read here, I rented a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and loved it! Captured some amazing shots with it, so it is already in my cart for renting again. What I can't decide on is a good walkabout with telephoto. I have a D90 and the lens I do have in my kit is a Sigma 100mm 2.8 macro and a Tamron 28-80 3.5 which is a pretty good all purpose lens. I had a Tamron 28-300 3.5 that was a pretty good walkabout lens, but DD12 murdered it not too long ago and I have yet to replace it. I can't decide whether to rent one of these, or go to the Nikon 70-200 2.8, which I have rented many times and love. Of course, I would like to own all these and more, but as I learn and improve I am finding rentals fits me perfectly right now.

I will be there for more than just vacation this upcoming trip, actually a lot of what I am doing is work. I am a new Disney travel agent so will be touring a lot of stuff during training, including the Disney Dream. I want some great shots for my agent page, I just can't figure out what I want to shoot them with! lol

So, wise photogs, what would you suggest? I don't want to rent something that I hardly ever take out of my bag. Thanks in advance!

Nature Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

If you don't already have one, you might consider trying out an ultrawide lens. Especially for photographing things like ship interiors & rooms, and Disney buildings and landscapes, which I would think would be the types of things you'd want/need as a travel agent. My UWA lens is one of my top two most used Disney lenses AND cruise lenses - second only to my all-purpose 18-250mm travel zoom, and ahead of my Sigma 30mm F1.4 (which I also love). There are quite a few to choose from - Nikon-branded 10-24s, Tamron 10-24, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 8-16, and Tokina 11-16 to name a few.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
YesDear
Admired by the Tag Fairy for such a brilliant user name!Looks more like Sully, acts more like Stitch

I will sort of go with the previous poster. Instead of a 28-300 lense which is an FX lens, I would select the 18-200 DX lense. If you have a D90 the 18-200 would be the better lens. It is not an great inside/low light, ride lens but a really sharp walk around lens.

As far as an ultra wide I would say also go with a DX lens.

I am going in September and taking the 28-300. I plan on using that as my main carry around lens. I will be putting to the test two newer bodies so I will be loaded for bear equipment wise. But I also usually take more stuff than some.

"Also cute and fluffy" Stitch
YesDear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: