Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #76
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Morning at Disneyland!

So, while I came into the trip with no set plan for our third day, by the time we had actually GOT to that day, I knew I would have a pretty good idea. The plan as we laid it out was to head to DL first and to catch the one character we wanted to meet – Merida, from there we were hit some of the a few rides we missed the first time, and then head to DTD via the Monorail. Having to check-out by noon, we would go back to the hotel before going back to DCA for lunch at Flo’s and hit a few more things in that park, and finally back to DL to use a few FPs we’d gotten in the morning.

We got up and did some packing, got our breakfast from McDonald’s next door, and got to the park entrance right around rope drop. I have to say, the park was waaayyy more crowded today (a Tuesday?) than either of the previous days, from opening on. I couldn’t figure out why this would be, but we dealt with it. So, the target was for me to swing over to BTMRR and pick up FP, and meet DW and DD at the Merida meet and greet, which opened at 8:30 AM. Well, I got around there, and the others were nowhere to be seen. They eventually got there, but apparently had stopped to ride King Arthur’s Carousel, which was cool with me. I was 2nd in line, and once they got there, DW joined me in line while DD went to a coloring table they had set up for the kids. At first, she was refusing to meet Merida, but on her way out to the M&G, Merida waved to DD, and that made her change her mind. So, we got to meet Merida as well as the bear cubs!

As usual, once she’s actually MET the character,she is totally enthused by it, and while we waited in line for the Nemo Submarines, she insisted on drawing a picture of Merida in her journal. We rode the subs after getting FP for Autotopia. After the subs we grabbed more FP (for Star Tours) and I took a few snaps:

We went to use the Autotopia FP, but not before a potty break where I took a picture that struck me as a funny/ironic sight in “Tomorrowland”

I joked to DW – “more like Yesterland” which she found hilarious, not knowing it was the name of a web-site! We got in line for Autotopia, and they basically said “Oh, you don’t need those” and we got in line. Well we went to the point where the FP and regular lines merged, so he was right, but then waited another 20 minutes AFTER the merge. What kind of FP line is this anyways?

I should preface this ride by saying I’ve never, ever ridden the Speedway at MK. I have this same ride at home, why should I waste time doing it here. BUT, we were being a completist and so we rode it. And hated it. The only thing we can figure is that Los Angelinos must think it pleasant versus a drive on the 405 or something, because it basically reminded me of being stuck on a highway. It didn’t help that the guy in front of me was having problems with his car, forcing me to stop about every 200 feet.

Please, oh please, never again!

By now, it was coming up on 10 AM, we needed to be out of our room by noon, so we decided to take the monorail over to DTD. Now, everyone says the monorail at DLR “is not a form of transportation –it’s a ride”. Whatever you say, it’s still a form of transportation. The one big difference we noticed – you could ride in the front!

And they must train all monorail drivers the same way…because if you ever ask me “who is the surliest group of Cast Members you’ve ever met” I would invariably say “Monorail drivers”, and this driver was no exception, focusing hard on his one button and one switch and not really talking to us. But, for those of you that never got the chance to ride the front of the monorail – DLR is the place to go.

The ride to DTD actually goes THROUGH the DCA park, which was something that I never noticed the day before. The track is fairly well disguised I guess, but it made for a neat view of that park. Honestly, the WDW monorail is pretty boring compared to the DLR monorail. We were dropped off at DTD and DW went to WoD (where we had 20 % coupons from our QS meal receipts if used before noon) while DD and I went into the Lego store.

I was actually surprised how big DTD was, as we had to walk all the way across it. I was also surprised the Grand Californian Resort is actually on top of DTD. In other words, the shops are the bottom layer, and the hotel is the top.

Again, for those looking forward to shopping pictures, your reading the wrong TR. We met DW and World of Disney and then headed back to our hotel, finished packing our bags, got them valeted to the front desk for storage, and headed back to the parks.

Next up - back to Carsland (again) for a "Pit Stop"!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #77
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

You do know that the locals call the 405.....the 4-OR-5 hours....don't you?
That being said, your Autopia experience was probably about average for DL.

Great shot of the 3 of you with Merida. And yes, I love the monorail at DL. The WDW monorail is a longer ride but it really is a form a transport.

I guess you could say that the DLR monorail is a form of transport, but it really is a ride.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #78
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
You do know that the locals call the 405.....the 4-OR-5 hours....don't you?
That being said, your Autopia experience was probably about average for DL.

Great shot of the 3 of you with Merida. And yes, I love the monorail at DL. The WDW monorail is a longer ride but it really is a form a transport.

I guess you could say that the DLR monorail is a form of transport, but it really is a ride.
The DLR monorail is ride that also provides transportation. The WDW monorail is transportation that also provides a ride.

We never got stuck on the LA freeway system too badly at the last part of the trip, of course we tried to avoid peak hours, and were pretty successful.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #79
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Flo's for lunch

This time, we entered DCA – our first “hop” of the trip. It was lunchtime and we were hungry. We had decided we wanted to try Flo’s V8 Café.

Love the Diner feel of the place. Another cool part is the portion of the dining room that looks out over RSR:

Isn't this rockwork just simply amazing! I've spent a lot of time in Arizona/Utah, and you would swear this is 100% autentic if you didn't know better. Fantastic job!

DW – already tired of the heavy foods, went with a salad – “Citrus Turkey Salad - Mixed Greens, Arugula, Carrots, Cucumbers and Yellow Peppers tossed with a Citrus-Tarragon Dressing and served with a garlic chive roll.”

This was a wonderful salad that we would highly recommend. I had the more hearty “NY Strip Loin - with Home-Style Beef Gravy and 2 sides” of which I chose the vegetables and the pasta salad.

This meal was also very tasty. I was really happy with my choice. DD had the Macaroni & Cheese, which came with fruit.

The only stinker of the bunch was the specialty drink: “Mater's Tulsa Tea - Gold Peak Sweet Green Iced Tea Topped with Tropical Fruit Foam.”

This was really just nasty. I later found out that “Tulsa Tea” is the ‘brand’ of motor oil that is stocked at Flo’s for the Cars, and this couldn’t have been worse being actual motor oil. I like Nestle Green Tea, but this was not very good, and the ‘tropical fruit foam’ tasted just plain awful. Yuk!
Here’s a quick mural of Flo with her “Motorama girls”

Afternoon we ran through a few other highlights. Adriana wanted to do Heimlich’s Chew Chew train again (ugh) so we headed for Bug’s Land and ran into Red:

I tried to go ride Tower of Terror single rider but it turned out there wasn’t a single rider (and there’s like 12 single rider rides at DLR – why not this one?), so I didn’t get on ToT. Instead, I got Heimlich! We then did the Monster’s Inc ride again, which had a fairly long line (maybe 20 minutes), but again the crowds were large today!

Old 09-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #80
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - The end for DL?

On our way out of that, we happened upon the Pixar Play parade. The only way I’ll ever see a daytime parade is if we happen to stumble on it. This one was cute, but no better or worse than others. It was this point that it really struck me how “Pixar-centric” DCA was.

I liked the way Slinky-Dog brought up the “rear”, with his tail end walking behind the float.

As we left there – DD saw the Disney Junior Live building and asked again to see the show. She’s been asking for two days – and I so hate this show and plus its at WDW, but I broke down, thinking “She gonna grow out of this one of these days”. We sat there and watched this show for the 8th (?) time in my life, which is 8 too many. Don’t get me wrong, I like Disney Junior for the kids and don’t even mind some of the shows, but there is absolutely NOTHING in this show to entertain an adult. I swear this is the very last time I will ever sit through this one! (Which I’ve said twice before.) After this DD wanted a frozen lemonade, while DW wanted that same homemade ice cream bar I had yesterday (Again no picture, I’ll have to fix THAT in June!)
There are times during a trip where I look back and think, why don’t I have any pictures of that? Well, here we are again…we went over to the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. “ An extensive kids' play area with a variety of activities including rope bridges, towers to climb, and a swing from one side to another.” That was actually themed behind the movie “Up” or at least the Wilderness explorers from the movie. It was actually just as described and very impressive in size and scope, but for some unknown reason I didn’t take any pictures of it. (I was again getting extremely annoyed with DD who wouldn’t ride anything.) While there I realized something I never read but I’m sure others have thought of:

“If I am in the back part (Grizzly Peak or Paradise Pier) of DCA, and I want to get to DL, all I need to do is cut through the Grand Californian and head to the monorail!”

So, since we had two sets of FP I insisted we use at DL, we then did that. It was MUCH less walking that way, though certainly not faster. The Monorail route from DTD to DL goes in a bunch of loops within DL, including circling the Matterhorn, but we were perfectly happy to sit a bit. We got off in Tomorrowland and headed for Star Tours – same ride as WDW, but again we waited more than 20 minutes with our FPs. The lines didn’t merge this time, the FP did skip in front of the entire outdoor queue, but inside the FP line was moving much slower than the standby line. I kept thinking – “What is with it with these Fastpasses!”

Then, we skipped across the hub to BTMRR. I tried to get a shot of the partners statue with the Matterhorn in the background, but not so good.

The BTMRR fastpass line was the only ones that actually took us to a short line. Less than a 5-minute wait and we were on and riding. By the time we were done, it was getting near time for the shuttle pick-up to the airport. But DD wanted one more attraction…

We had enough time, the tiki gods were calling us:

This last picture I took right after the tiki room, it was the first time I thought – “Gosh its so crowded today, I should take pictures of the crowds”

However, it was now time to leave, so we headed back to our hotel.

I can’t remember if I talked about the hotel or not, but it was a decent hotel in a really prime location, and I would definitely stay there again.

So, to summarize the trip, we were able to ride pretty much everything we wanted, and most of everything in the parks.

The total sum list of things that we missed completely (not including several stage shows) are:

@ DL - Snow White, Gadget GO Coaster, Innoventions, Great Moments w/ Lincoln, Tarzans Tree House, Columbia/Mark Twain/Canoes/Tom Sawyer Island, Fantasmic!

@ DCA – Tower of Terror, Soarin’, Grizzly River Rapids, and most of Paradise Pier rides.

Of the lot, the only one I really WANTED to go on was GRR, so overall pleased with that. As far as impressions of the park…well, I would say that there is no doubt for me that I prefer WDW to DL. Even though we are going back next year, I would generally say a DL trip would be an “every 5-7 years” type thing, where WDW still remains an annual rite of passage. There are a couple of main reasons, and they are tied to what many consider DLRs greatest strength, which is the compactness of the resort, and that definitely has its advantages, but it’s a big negative for two reasons:

1) WDWs ability to make you feel like you are incased in the magic. Perhaps if you stay at one of their $400 a night hotels you would feel that way, but I found that once I left the parks, even the central hub between the parks and DTD, it felt very “outside the magic” as did our hotel of course.

2)The indistinctness of the parks. This is something that I only realized after much reflection. At WDW not only are there four parks – there are four VERY DISTINCT parks, with each having a different feel and leading to a different touring style. At DLR, the two parks, regardless of the “California” theme of DCA, really just feel like one big park in style and in substance. You tour them the same way, whether hopping or not. The addition of “Buena Vista Street” even heightens this, by mirroring Disneyland’s Main Street.

So, after spending three days there – I felt like maybe I would have liked to have had 4 so we could’ve taken a little slower pace, but overall, I felt I had had enough of DL. And honestly, even though at the end of 10 days at WDW I am usually ready to go home, I still feel like I haven’t had enough of something (usually Epcot). And, I’m sorry, to me, that makes it a better experience.

That said, any WDW fans out there that have never given DLR a try, I would say “find the time to do it”. Combine it with a visit to Hollywood or other California sites – CA has a lot to offer – but take 3 or 4 days to explore DLR.

Next post will be across the ocean!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #81
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Another great ride-thanks. I quite liked the emphasis on Pixar vs Disney in DCA as a change (and because we love a lot of the Pixar movies too-not being big on the princesses-although really enjoyed Tangled.) Only having been to WDW once I still agree with you-we felt more fully immersed there and enjoyed the great variety between the 4 parks (and being winter we never even tried the water parks) whereas I too felt DL and DCA merged more or less. Will still probably get to visit DLR more often partly due to its closeness on the west coast and more because it does make for a shorter stopover en route to somewhere else in the US whereas I feel I need a week to do justice to WDW not just drop in. But they're all good!!
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #82
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

*read* - I've got rides on the brain!!
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #83
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

Wow, what an awesome TR! Love all your details and photos. So fun to read.

I hope you do a TR when you & your wife (sans DD!) come back. Please PM me if you do!
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI).
UPCOMING: April 12-19, 2014 (HoJo Kids Suite).
MommyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #84
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Nice way to sum up your impression of DLR and why you prefer WDW. The full immersion factor at WDW is what draws me there...and at the end of the day, the comparison of the parks and the rides will come down to personal preference.

Looking forward to the Aussie part of this TR.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #85
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
Another great read-thanks. I quite liked the emphasis on Pixar vs Disney in DCA as a change (and because we love a lot of the Pixar movies too-not being big on the princesses-although really enjoyed Tangled.) Only having been to WDW once I still agree with you-we felt more fully immersed there and enjoyed the great variety between the 4 parks (and being winter we never even tried the water parks) whereas I too felt DL and DCA merged more or less. Will still probably get to visit DLR more often partly due to its closeness on the west coast and more because it does make for a shorter stopover en route to somewhere else in the US whereas I feel I need a week to do justice to WDW not just drop in. But they're all good!!
Fixed! I understand going to DLR, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it. I think both resorts are wonderful and would recommend that any Disney fan should at some point visit them both. I just wanted to state the case why DLR won't overtake my preference for WDW. Not to mention the cheaper air-fare to Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLove View Post
Wow, what an awesome TR! Love all your details and photos. So fun to read.

I hope you do a TR when you & your wife (sans DD!) come back. Please PM me if you do!
Thank you very much! There's still a long way to go on this one though - I am only on day 4 of 28. If you continue to follow along, I am sure I will eventually set up a PTR for the trips next year. I wasn't sure if I was going to write a TR for the Backstage Magic trip, it seems like it would be somewhat limited because I am sure there are a lot of parts where pictures aren't allowed, but if people are interested I certainly could do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Nice way to sum up your impression of DLR and why you prefer WDW. The full immersion factor at WDW is what draws me there...and at the end of the day, the comparison of the parks and the rides will come down to personal preference.

Looking forward to the Aussie part of this TR.
Thanks also. I think some of the "preference" might come from which park formed your Disney childhood, which in my case was Florida. And as I said to Aussie Wendy, it really not a dis of DLR, its a beautiful park and definitely has plenty going for it. But I would continue to say that a real Disney fan should experience them both.

Sitting here today, I am more excited about going back to DLR - but possibly only because that trip is closer (8 vs 14 months) and more "special" because of the backstage stuff.

I will hopefully be getting to the start of the Australia portion soon. I actually write and upload pictures to Photobucket at home, and then usually spend some lunch hour time to post the segments. I am trying to stay a bit ahead where I can, so most of the first day in Sydney is done, just have to find the time to post it.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #86
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Does your daughter just not like Disney???
Awesome report again!!!
so where are you taking us now???

Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #87
MommyLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I wasn't sure if I was going to write a TR for the Backstage Magic trip, it seems like it would be somewhat limited because I am sure there are a lot of parts where pictures aren't allowed, but if people are interested I certainly could do it!
Well I hope you do... I'd be listening! You really do an awesome TR and it would be fun to hear about your experience as just husband & wife. Someday, my DH and I will do that, but it's a long while out I think...

I noticed you said you were making a photo book. What company do you use? What size book and do you use their templates or are the pages your own creations? I've made a bunch with Shutterfly (can't resist their coupons for free 8x8 books) and I really like the quality, but I think 8x8 is too small and 12x12 is too big...
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI).
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #88
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
Does your daughter just not like Disney???
Awesome report again!!!
so where are you taking us now???
I don't know WHAT my daughter likes. She is the most frustrating kid you can imagine. Very stubborn and when she gets in the right mood, she simply doesn't want to do ANYTHING. The entire day can be a fight. There were times during this trip where we were so fed up with her. Fortunately, it seems like DW and I manage to get frustrated by her at different times, so usually the other one is there to calm the frustrated one down. Typically the issue at Disney is she does not like to try new things. We've gotten to the point at WDW where she's done just about everything there, though. However, with DL being entirely "New", combined with the Mattehorn / Indiana Jones / Splash Mountain experience on the first day just really turned her off to new things, which was really everything.

I recently asked her doctor if she could be mildly autistic. I've read a lot of TRs from folks with Autistic children, and I see some of that in her, easy to frustrate, sensitivity to excess stimulation (loud noises, crowds, 3-D movies), there's a lot of clothes we buy her she won't wear because they are "too itchy" even though they are as innocuous as like fleece sweaters. The doctor insisted she isn't though, that some kids are just more sensative than others. Since there are many aspects of autism she does not have, I have to beleive he's right.

I also think she is rather immature for her age, at least based on the behavior of her friends that are the same age. In a way its nice, because so many of these 9-year olds are already into "teen" things, and she is not, but at times I think she has a hard time fitting in because of it.

OK - I have to stop - because I hate to sound like I am bashing my daughter. I just find her very frustrating to me. She's very loving with us, and really a pretty good kid, but makes me bang my head against a wall.

Quote:
Well I hope you do... I'd be listening! You really do an awesome TR and it would be fun to hear about your experience as just husband & wife. Someday, my DH and I will do that, but it's a long while out I think...

I noticed you said you were making a photo book. What company do you use? What size book and do you use their templates or are the pages your own creations? I've made a bunch with Shutterfly (can't resist their coupons for free 8x8 books) and I really like the quality, but I think 8x8 is too small and 12x12 is too big...
Wow, thanks for your kind words. I sometimes feel like I'm writing these TRs to myself, which is OK because I like having a "record" of our trip, but it's so nice to get positive feedback. I will really consider your words as I get closer to putting together a TR.

We did the 12x12 photobook on Shutterfly. I was really happy with it, I didn't think it was too big at all. My only negative is I am concerned at the quality of the cover/binding, which I could see being not very hardy. I mostly used their templates, but modified a few of them. I typically put somewhere between 6 and 12 pictures per page, so I think in our case the larger photobook was a perfect size.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #89
MommyLove

Quote:
Wow, thanks for your kind words. I sometimes feel like I'm writing these TRs to myself, which is OK because I like having a "record" of our trip, but it's so nice to get positive feedback. I will really consider your words as I get closer to putting together a TR.
Cool!

I've been around here for years, but (as you can tell from my post count) I'm definitely more of a reader than poster. Based on the # of views on your thread, I'm going to guess that there are lots of people like me, reading and not necessarily posting.

Quote:
We did the 12x12 photobook on Shutterfly. I was really happy with it, I didn't think it was too big at all. My only negative is I am concerned at the quality of the cover/binding, which I could see being not very hardy. I mostly used their templates, but modified a few of them. I typically put somewhere between 6 and 12 pictures per page, so I think in our case the larger photobook was a perfect size.
Did you finish it? If you don't mind sharing, I'd love the link so I could see it!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #90
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cool!

I've been around here for years, but (as you can tell from my post count) I'm definitely more of a reader than poster. Based on the # of views on your thread, I'm going to guess that there are lots of people like me, reading and not necessarily posting.

Did you finish it? If you don't mind sharing, I'd love the link so I could see it!
I have noticed that I am getting quite a lot of "views" for my TR - more than in the past. I do hope it means people are enjoying what I'm writing. Look for another update to follow this one!

I haven't posted a link on my photobook only because the pictures from that are all going to eventually appear here - so I am hoping to keep my audience a little more captive. Let me think about it, though, maybe I would be willing to share.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: