Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #151
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 14 – Phillip Island

My original hope was to have three day trips out of Melbourne. One to Mt. Buller, a second to Phillip Island, and a third to see the Great Ocean Road. However, we knew coming in that doing all three would be pushing it. And, by the time we got to this Friday, we decided that it just wouldn’t be doable. There was too much on our plate and too little time to do it. So, we ended up dropping the Great Ocean Road. Another event for a future trip.

Today we went to Philip Island. BFF and her DH were nice enough to take the day off and drive us there and back. It was probably about 2.5 hours from there house. What’s so interesting about Phillip Island, you ask? Well, these guys:

It is an area where the Little/Fairy Penguins nest, and every night at dusk there is a “Penguin Parade” where the penguins come out of the water to return to there nest. While it is not the ONLY place this happens, it is the most well known and there’s a whole area set up for people to watch. I suppose from the sound of it, Phillip Island is also a big weekend/vacation destination during the summertime, sort of like Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Being as we were there in winter, it wasn’t really busy.

Our friends really wanted us to get down there early enough to also check out the Phillip Island Wild Animal Park. They’ve taken many friends here before, and it’s a place where many of the indigenous species are available to see and even feed. Considering that we really never saw any animals in the wild on this trip (a bit of a disappointment really) this was a great opportunity to get up close and personal with them.

We stopped on the way at a Red Rooster, which is a Aussie fast-food chain specializing in chicken. It was pretty much what you’d expect from fast food. We got down to Phillip Island probably around 3 PM, and had about an hour to explore the Wild Animal Park.

We got in and they gave us each a small paper bag of animal chow. The first ones we ran into were these guys:

This is neither a wallaby nor a kangaroo, but is in fact a whole different category called a Pademelon. They are smaller than their kangaroo and wallaby cousins, and so cute I just wanted to pack one up and take it home. Probably not allowed, though!

Then there was the enchidna’s. These are the OTHER Monotreme in the world, outside the platypus. (Means an egg-laying mammal.)

Saw some pheasants with their babies:

You weren’t allowed to feed or handle the Koala’s here, but that’s OK since they didn’t really do anything.

More Tasmanian Devils. This guy didn’t look all that happy.

Then we went to this big open area where a mob of kangaroos. (A mob, right?)

There were also a bunch of Emus around. They were really aggressive. They would snatch the back of food right out of your hand if you let them. However, if you fed them, their peck wasn’t too bad. They are what I would call beautiful/ugly birds. Pretty ugly, but so impressive in their own way that they are quite pretty. Very sharp intelligence in their eyes too.

The kangaroos not so much intelligence as docility. They ranged in size from probably a medium size dog to a very very large one. I am not sure I would want to run into a big one in the wild.

The was also a Kookaburra cage. We heard them calling from a ways away, but when we got over there they were quiet.

More Kangaroos out in another field:

This was the only example we saw of a Joey in a pouch – just a foot sticking out!

There were some birds of prey as well. A pair of hawk in an enclosure were fighting, and one ended up pinning the other down on its back! I’ve never seen this before!

To be continued

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #152
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 14 Continued - the Penguin Parade + Bonus Rant

The wombats were in a separate enclosure. You were allowed to feed them, but not out of your hand. There was a boardwalk that ran through – and this one wombat would put his mouth on the boardwalk to get some food.

There was one area with a Cassowary, which is a real prehistoric looking bird, and then another where they kept Cockatoo’s that were deserted by their owners. (Sad.) However, I didn’t get pictures of these apparently, only the DINGOs!

It was getting near dusk, so we headed out the penguins. Unfortunately, they didn’t allow ANY form of photography of the Penguins, so the one and only picture I took was this:

The experience was pretty amazing. You sit around waiting for it to get dark, while a ranger tells you about the lives of these penguins. It’s a little boring, but then it finally gets dark, and all these tiny penguins start popping out of the ocean and running up the beach/rocks to their nests. The Ranger aptly described the experience as a “reverse zoo” where we are confined to a boardwalk area, and the penguins are free to roam wherever they wish. They are so cute and you really get so close to them (within about 6 feet anyways) and there are so many of them (literally 100s of them). We paid for the “premium” seats, which weren’t as close to the beach so we didn’t see them pop out of the water, but they were hopping across a little stream and running up and down the sand in front of us. (They would come partway in and run back to gather their friends.) DD kept saying “They are SO CUTE!” Here’s a few pictures I pulled off the interwebs.

BFF and her DH did not pay to see the Penguins with us – I guess they had seen it enough times. So, they took us out to dinner afterwards in the local town. Again, we offered to buy dinner for them taking us around, but wouldn’t allow us. (VERY generous, they were!) We ended up eating at the Fat Seagull. I can’t tell you what we had for dinner, but we were very satisfied with the meal.

So, here’s where I’m going to put my one rant about the trip. See, BFF and I got in a bit of debate about how restaurants work in Australia versus America. She was American, but she thought the low wage/tipping system in the US should be outlawed, and it should be done like in Australia where the wait-staff gets a decent wage and there isn’t any tipping. She particularly didn’t like the way a gratuity is added to parties of 6 or more, regardless of service. While I agreed with her on the last point, I wasn’t at the time arguing against the American system, but more arguing that it was a system that you really will never change, so don’t even bother getting worked up about it. Both countries are used to their systems, and they aren’t going to change.

But as the trip wore on, I decided I did NOT like the Australian system, because I had some real consistent problems with it.

(1) The food was generally rather expensive and not particularly good in most of the places we eat. I am certain that higher pay contributes to that price.
(2) The bigger issue I had with was the service in general. A lot of restaurants we went to had the “counter” service where you went up and ordered your meal, and then it was delivered to your table. This resulted in pretty poor service, as if you wanted anything from the wait staff other than when they delivered your meal, you had to go up and get it. But even in the restaurants with wait-staff that came to your table, I found that the wait-staff kind of worked all across the restaurant. So you would have one person order your meal, another serve it, and if you had a problem, yet another one would be there to help. While I would guess at higher end restaurants this isn’t a problem, but at most of the places we went to it was.
(3) My final issue was what really made me sick to death of eating out in Australia. The restaurants mostly had this habit of bringing out your food “as it was ready” as opposed to what they traditionally do here in the states, and serve everyone at once. The BIGGEST problem this caused was that DD was almost always served her meal well before we were. And, she has always been good in a restaurant while waiting for her meal, but once the meal is served and she is done eating, she is ready to go. So the general experience was that she would get her meal, finish eating it, and then our meal would come (not at the same time either) and we would get the pleasure of eating while she would continually ask “When can we leave?” There was a point late in the trip where we actually got all of our food at once, and it was such a relief!

So anyways, if the service we generally saw is the results of paying wait-staff a “living wage”, and I think it is, I’m sorry, I prefer the tipping system, because by the end of our trip, I did not want to eat in another Australian restaurant. It was such a relief getting back to the states, eating at a Bubba Gump’s and getting actual attention from the waitress! Ugh, sorry friends, but you do a lot of things right in your country, but I was not fond of the restaurant experience!

The nice thing about being at Phillip Island in the winter was the sun set at 6 PM, so we were done with the Penguins by 7 PM, and by the end of dinner it was still only about 9 PM. Fortunately I didn’t have to drive back as we were in there car, and though I stayed awake most of the ride back, it was quite a relief to get “home” and go to bed. (I feel the front seat passengers obligation is to help keep the driver awake – a rule we developed in college.)

This really was probably one of my favorite days of the trip. We are all animal lovers and seeing the animals up close plus the penguins was just amazing. It was also great being able to spend some time with BFF and DH together. Overall, a great day.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #153
michellekcm
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad you enjoyed the penguins. I haven't been for years, but always enjoyed it.

I'm sorry about your not-so-good restaurant experiences though.
michellekcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #154
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellekcm View Post
I'm so glad you enjoyed the penguins. I haven't been for years, but always enjoyed it.

I'm sorry about your not-so-good restaurant experiences though.
I don't want to sound too down on them, but outside of Sydney, the food was generally OK but not memorable, and the same with the service. I think things were worse once we got to Cairns, so maybe because it was a lot of tourist restaurants. Maybe we would've done better had we gone to the expensive restaurants, but we really could afford $100 per meal.

Not bad experiences, just not anything memorable. The argument I had with BFF just highlighted it more for me. The costs of food didn't help either. The fact that I was paying 50-100 % more for mostly mediocre food was very disappointing.

I also missed out on actually taking about THIS meal. IT was actually one of the better meal we had, except for the part about bringing everybody's meals out separately. Again, our daughter was done eating before our meals came out. Made eating feel very rushed and not enjoyable.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #155
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Nice pictures of the animals and it looks like you got your money's worth heading towards PI; if your intention was to see the animals.

As to the restaurant service....I'll leave the pros and cons of the respective systems alone.
But I am sorry that you consistently struck restaurants that brought out meals at different times. I know it does happen but I also know of quite a few that bring out meals at the same time.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #156
battymum
DIS Veteran

Have to admit, Americans put us to shame when it comes to service! Still, the meals should always come out together, although we would always ask for children's meals to come with the appetisers .
I am ok with tipping, Australians have a hard time understanding that it is not really optional.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #157
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Nice pictures of the animals and it looks like you got your money's worth heading towards PI; if your intention was to see the animals.

As to the restaurant service....I'll leave the pros and cons of the respective systems alone.
But I am sorry that you consistently struck restaurants that brought out meals at different times. I know it does happen but I also know of quite a few that bring out meals at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
Have to admit, Americans put us to shame when it comes to service! Still, the meals should always come out together, although we would always ask for children's meals to come with the appetisers .
I am ok with tipping, Australians have a hard time understanding that it is not really optional.
I feel sort of bad putting down anything in Australia on here, as all my Aussie friends here have been so nice. (And honestly, the Aussie people were nothing but wonderful when we there!) And I really liked the way you do some things there BETTER than we do in America - the money system for example, getting rid of the penny completely, and having $1 and $2 coins, as well as having tax included in all prices instead of adding it on. As I said, I'm sure there are good restaurants with fine service out there, and we did have a little of that, but when "Pancakes On The Rocks" is the only restaurant that I would go back to on a return trip, that doesn't speak well for the experience we had.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #158
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

That wild animal park looks pretty incredible. I'd love to be able to get up close to those kangaroos! The emus kind of freak me out though, I don't know if I'd be spending a lot of time around them. Looks like DD was enjoying feeding them. Seems right up her alley!

Wow, the Penguin experience sounds AMAZING!!! Being so used to a zoo environment, it is such a rare thing to see animals like that truly in their own element doing what they know and being able to see it. Too bad you couldn't take pictures, but that definitely makes sense why it is prohibited.

Frustrating about the meal service you experienced. Your food should really come out all together unless you had specifically asked for DD's food to come out first (we do this now with DS when we go out to eat, but he's a toddler, so different story). Did your two entrees generally come out at the same time at least? Nothing is worse than one person getting their entree and waiting for the other person to receive theirs.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #159
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
That wild animal park looks pretty incredible. I'd love to be able to get up close to those kangaroos! The emus kind of freak me out though, I don't know if I'd be spending a lot of time around them. Looks like DD was enjoying feeding them. Seems right up her alley!
She was having a ball. The emus were free ranging along with the kangaroos, so it was a bit hard to avoid them. While they were agressive in terms of grabbing at the food, they were actually pretty easy to chase off. If you shoved them or moved at them, they would run away. (Shovin' Emus - one of my favorite '90s indie bands!)

Quote:
Wow, the Penguin experience sounds AMAZING!!! Being so used to a zoo environment, it is such a rare thing to see animals like that truly in their own element doing what they know and being able to see it. Too bad you couldn't take pictures, but that definitely makes sense why it is prohibited.
It was really awesome. You hear about things to see, and some live up to their reputation and others don't. This one clearly did. (Though I did hear depending on the time of year you can see a lot less penguins, which if you only had a few would make the experience much less.)

Quote:
Frustrating about the meal service you experienced. Your food should really come out all together unless you had specifically asked for DD's food to come out first (we do this now with DS when we go out to eat, but he's a toddler, so different story). Did your two entrees generally come out at the same time at least? Nothing is worse than one person getting their entree and waiting for the other person to receive theirs.
Nope, even our meals didn't come out together. I remember at one of the restaurants late in the trip, our meals all came out together, and it was such a relief. I think I would've easily forgiven everything else. In hindsight I probably should have requested our meals come out at once, but it just wouldn't normally occur to me to worry about that.

SP

Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #160
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I feel sort of bad putting down anything in Australia on here, as all my Aussie friends here have been so nice. (And honestly, the Aussie people were nothing but wonderful when we there!) And I really liked the way you do some things there BETTER than we do in America - the money system for example, getting rid of the penny completely, and having $1 and $2 coins, as well as having tax included in all prices instead of adding it on. As I said, I'm sure there are good restaurants with fine service out there, and we did have a little of that, but when "Pancakes On The Rocks" is the only restaurant that I would go back to on a return trip, that doesn't speak well for the experience we had.
Pete - that is NOT a good experience at all.

Next time, I'll take you out to some of my eateries....
1. Value for money (by Aussie standards), mediocre service but at least the food comes out quickly.
2. High end food, reasonable service (even compared to the US servers) and the food comes out all together.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #161
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Pete - that is NOT a good experience at all.

Next time, I'll take you out to some of my eateries....
1. Value for money (by Aussie standards), mediocre service but at least the food comes out quickly.
2. High end food, reasonable service (even compared to the US servers) and the food comes out all together.
Oh, I would definitely take you up on that one!

I should point out, my comments don't really include Melbourne, because we actually never went out to eat IN Melbourne. And really, the food we had at your house and our other friends house was the best of the trip. (That and Carthay Circle!)

And I also should point out, there were a few exceptions, which I will get to eventually.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #162
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

UPDATE - Days 15, 16 & 17

Wow - it's been two weeks since my last update. Lots going on, including Thanksgiving and having internet problems, along with Photobucket problems! I also can't believe I am up to 21,000 hits. I don't think I've ever had that many on a TR - not many people posting, but a lot of you must still be reading. So, don't worry, I have not given up. I'm gonna get to the end of this trip!

I will try and get back to updating twice a week. Here's a doozy, representing 3 days of the trip, and the next post will have part of a fourth!

First off – a few pictures from our visit with Princess In Oz and her family.

On to days 15 and 16, which were the weekend of August 4th and 5th. I’m going to sort of blow through the weekend. On Saturday, we decided to sort of have a day of rest. DW went off shopping with BFF in the morning. I stayed at the house with DD, we went for a walk down to a nearby park to play for a bit. It was a little cooler today, maybe 50 F, still no rain, but it was coming. In the evening we had a lovely dinner prepare by our host. I got up the nerve to take a couple of snaps.

DW bought a Mud Pie for dessert. I know this because it said right on it “Mud”.

On Sunday, we spent the day with the family. First MIL served us a huge breakfast. Then we went to church, after which we had more food at the coffee hour. Of course then from their we went to MILs Parents (yes they are still alive and in their 90s!) and they of course served ANOTHER huge meal. (Yup we were somehow expected to eat 3 times in like 4 hours.) I was so full as to be uncomfortable, but I also didn’t want to be rude and refuse to eat. After eating, the grandfather and I took my DD to a nearby park. (Today was the one “iffy” day for weather, it rained in the morning a little, and then shortly after this it started raining and kept raining all day. Really the only day the whole trip we had bad weather.)

After lunch we went back to MILs house, because at night we were invited to BBF and DH house for yet ANOTHER huge meal. (We loved the hospitality, but c’mon people!) DD was very excited because the brother and sister-in-law of our friends were going to be there, and they had two girls about her age. The older one had written her a nice note when we arrived and left a few presents, so Adriana was very excited to meet her. (The only bad thing about this trip is the limited amount of time DD got to play with kids her own age. It’s on vacation that I often regret the most that we weren’t able to have more than one child.) The adults watched the footy game (Australian Rules Football) while the kids played.

Dinner was once again fantastic, though I could hardly eat anything I was still so full. I took a very small portion of several things. Here’s a few pictures of the family at their house. First DW with BFF.

Next up the two of us with BFF’s DMIL.

I decided not to share pictures of the whole family, but they were all so great, we really had a wonderful time. We stayed until about 9 PM and then headed back. (It was around a 20 minute drive.)

Day 17: Flying off to Cairns

We had to leave for the airport by 9 AM, so time for one last meal and we were off. This was our longest “in country” flight of the trip, lasting a little over 3 hours. We were moving from the Southern-most region of Australia, to up in the North. The flight was uneventful and we arrived in Cairns about 3 PM. Coming out of the airport it was warm and sunny and the air felt so good. The airport was surprisingly small, though I later found out they’d only even HAD an airport here for about 25 years. The drive into town was less than 10 minutes. By this time, I was starting to feel really comfortable with driving in Australia. The whole “driving on the other side of the road” thing takes a little getting used to, and also centering yourself properly in the road, but as long as you are an alert driver and pay attention, it’s not bad at all.

We found our hotel. The Novotel Oasis right in the town of Cairns. It was a nice enough hotel, though the room was a lot smaller than what we had in Sydney. We checked in and got our bags up to our room. We had no real plans for the evening, so we decided that we would go for a swim. In doing so, we found out one of the real disadvantages of visiting a tropical resort region in the wintertime. Apparently, they do not heat their pools here. So, while the pool area was very large and very beautiful, the water was C-O-L-D. I spent the first bit of time booking our plans for the next day. Then we went for a swim. (I will have some snaps of the hotel later.)

When we returned to the room it was just getting dark, and we got to see one of the more impressive bits of our trip. The air was absolutely swarming with fruit bats. It turned out that their was a park about a block from our hotel where during the day all the fruit bats slept, and at night, they took off, hunting for fruit. It was quite a spectacle seeing the air filled with bats. Because it was dusk, they were hard to see, but really cool. I later took some pictures of the bats in their trees. None of them came out great, but here are the best:

We ended up going down to the Esplande for dinner. We were originally going to try a seafood restaurant recommended to us, but the prices on the menu made me gag ($40+). Turns out of all the places we went, Cairns was probably the most expensive. We ended up going into this restaurant that was up on the second floor. Many of the restaurants here were open air, but by the time we were eating, it was dark, and sometimes a bit chilly to eat outside. In this case, our meal was at Casa de Meze. The hostess on the first floor was an American girl, so we decided to try it. The meal was OK. I had a steak which was decent. DW had shrimp, which she was grossed out that still had the heads on them, but beyond that, they were overcooked and not very good. DD had spaghetti as usual. $85 for a mediocre meal. Yum!
We did stop for Gelato on the way back to the hotel. There was about 268 Gelato shops in Cairns, so we seemed to get a lot of it. It was pretty good most places we tried. (I think DD had some every day we were there.) After that, we headed back to the room to relax, we had a busy day planned for the next day.

Continued in Next Post.

Last edited by skier_pete; 11-27-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #163
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 18 - Kuranda via Skyrail

Though we were at the ocean, we were really here in Cairns more interested in seeing the rain forest than the water. So, today we booked a tour that would take us up into the tablelands of the rain forest.

The tour started out with a bus from our hotel. I looked at the possibility of driving myself, but the difference in cost was only $3 per person. The bus took about 45 minutes to drive in circles and pick up people at various hotels. (Cairns did not seem to be very large. My guess is about 20 blocks long by 10 blocks deep for the main part of town.) They dropped us off at the main train station in town, to ride on the Kuranda scenic railway:

The Kuranda scenic railway is a rail ride on a track that was built in the late 1800s. It connected the coastal areas with the rainforest/mountains, and at the time was the first and only method of transport into the interior of Australia. Now, it is mostly used for transporting tourists, who take the 2+ hour ride up into the rainforest to the tourist town of Kuranda. Our group was given a single car on the train, and though the train itself wasn’t that crowded, our car was full enough that we had to split up at first, with DD and I sitting in one seat, and DW sitting one seat over.

The first portion of the ride, which took about 30 minutes, just drove out of town towards the village of Freshwater, where we stopped to pick up more passengers. (Ones that weren’t staying in Cairns.) This ride took us along the sugar cane fields, which we got really used to looking at over the course of our week in the tropics. LOTS of sugar cane!

For the tropical rainforest, the area seemed awful dry (I guess this is not the wet season, which is probably a good thing.) However, there were lots of tropical trees.

From there, we started heading up into the mountains. The train took a path that was carved out of the rock, with several dozen bridges as well as 15 tunnels. There were some pretty sharp switchbacks as well, which allowed for shots like this.

DD in the train car while going through a tunnel (see the window on the right):

More views to be seen from the train:

This one bridge made for a great shot of the train, and on the other side, a huge cascading water fall.

A view back along the tracks.

DD complained that the ride was “boring” and while I am not one much for scenic rides – I am all about the destination – I did think this was worth doing one time, if just for the views of the coastal plain…

…and the Barron River.

The train made a stop at the Barron George. This would be a gigantic waterfall, except for the dam holding the water back. So, now its just sort of a big rock wall:

We spent a lot of the ride up talking with a lady from Oregon who was traveling around Australia with her son and husband. Meeting fellow Americans seemed pretty rare, so we talked quite a bit. We also exchanged taking family photos. (She will come back again later in the story of the day.)

To be continued...

Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #164
PrincessInOz
in

Pete - I think I forgot to post those pictures of us. Apologies! (Nice to see them up on your TR, though)

Was the chocolate mud cake nice? Sometimes they can be really rich!

Being so close to the fruit bats...did it smell?
Your railway trip in Cairns looks great. Looking forward to more.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #165
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Pete - I think I forgot to post those pictures of us. Apologies! (Nice to see them up on your TR, though)

Was the chocolate mud cake nice? Sometimes they can be really rich!

Being so close to the fruit bats...did it smell?
Your railway trip in Cairns looks great. Looking forward to more.
The mud cake was very rich indeed, a little too chocolate for my taste.

The fruit bats didn't really smell too bad. There was a lot of guano on the ground under the trees. DW didn't want to walk under them because of that. (I always wonder how bats don't s**t on their own heads. ) They were also very noisy. Even during the day you can hear them, but especially after dark!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: