DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Rockdoctor - Very interesting info. So much that I didn't know about DVC. So if I'm looking to go October 2013 is it too early to contact a rentee? We were going to call BLT directly to see if they could tell us about the rooms. Is that what you meant by MS? I don'r know about Special Services - someone on here suggested I try giving them a call. Can't hurt!
bellepearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #32
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
Typically they have to be specially booked by a CM. The one and only time i tried to book on line it was not an option and yet i know the room existed. The member who is renting the points to you may have to take care of this for you. I also don't think special services gets involved with room bookings anymore. We made reservations in July and the MS/CM said they can now see the HA rooms and do the reservations themselves w/o having to call special services.
It now is possible to book online and is probably the same info that MS sees. Being able to book online was a requirement that Disney had to fulfill legally as I understand it.

OP - I really think you have your answer - that there aren't any theme park view Dedicated 2BR's with a roll in shower. Everything I've read both from trip reports and from people inquiring indicate the lakeview is the only category that has all of the variations of HA rooms. But the lakeview HA rooms with roll in shower are on the north side and do provide a view of the theme park. If you do learn anything different please let us know but I will forewarn that the CM's (and in some cases the resorts) aren't as well informed about the HA rooms as one would think they would or should be.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #33
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Kathy I will definitely report back if I hear anything differently.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #34
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
It now is possible to book online and is probably the same info that MS sees. Being able to book online was a requirement that Disney had to fulfill legally as I understand it.

(
it was not a legal requirement - it was something DVC members have been asking for since at least 1994 and DVC finally did it.

be happy! it is surpose to be the same information that member services sees - but think there is a little different.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #35
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Bronte - We called the number that I was told was a direct number for BLT. Turns out it was the number for CR. They connected us to Resort Reservations or something like that. Whoever we spoke to had to check with Special Requests. They said that there are no 2 bedroom dedicated villas at BLT or 2 bedroom lock-offs that have all 3 bathrooms accessible with roll-in showers. That only one bathroom would have it. With me and my grandmother both needing a roll-in shower we absolutely need more than one accessible bathroom and I find it very hard to believe that only one bathroom has a roll-in shower when there are 3 bathrooms in the villa! Not sure what else to do .
Old 08-23-2012, 03:48 AM   #36
loadsapixiedust
DIS Veteran

We had a 2 bed HA at BLT last year it only had a roll-in shower in the master bathroom. The other 2 bathrooms had a tub with shower over. It wasn't convenient for us either since we travelled with a couple who had the master bedroom and we used the second bedroom. I'm sure there was space in the second bathroom for a roll-in so can't understand why they couldn't have put one in there. It really wasn't necessary to have a tub in all 3 bathrooms.

On the same trip we also stayed in a 2 bed HA at Kidani and it had a walk in shower in the master bathroom and a roll-in in the second bathroom which was much better for us. You might want to reconsider your resort choice if this is going to be important.

As for getting information about HA accommodations DVC are for some reason very secretive about this and very little is published nor will they tell you much about the different accessibility options. I have done my own research on the net. MS tell me there are fully HA 2 bed villas available in the theme park view category but I've yet to find any reports of one.

2 weeks October 1998 Quail Ridge Villa 3 weeks March/April 2002 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista
3 weeks July 2005 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista, Port Orleans French Quarter, Animal Kingdom Lodge
10 days August 2006 Royal Plaza in the WDW Resort 2 weeks October 2006 All Star Movies
2 weeks June 2007 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa 2 weeks Easter 2008 Cypress Pointe
2 weeks Dec 2008 Caribbean Beach & Port Orleans Riverside 2 weeks July 2009 Cypress Pointe Grandevillas
2 weeks Oct 2009 Coronado Springs 3 weeks July 2010 Port Orleans Riverside and Pop century
2 weeks June 2011 Bay Lake Tower & Kidani Village

June 2012 ~ Beach Club Villas * Vero Beach * Bay Lake Tower
unlucky 13th trip cancelled to make way for chemo - I'm pretty sure that will not be as much fun
loadsapixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #37
loadsapixiedust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Correct. ADA changes mean that accessible accommodation has to be bookable in the same way as non-accessible. When the online reservation system came into use you could not originally book accessible accommodation with it you had to book what you wanted and then call to confirm an accessible unit which often wouldn't be available. Members needing accessible rooms complained and got nowhere but DVC eventually had to change this to comply with the new legislation.

2 weeks October 1998 Quail Ridge Villa 3 weeks March/April 2002 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista
3 weeks July 2005 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista, Port Orleans French Quarter, Animal Kingdom Lodge
10 days August 2006 Royal Plaza in the WDW Resort 2 weeks October 2006 All Star Movies
2 weeks June 2007 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa 2 weeks Easter 2008 Cypress Pointe
2 weeks Dec 2008 Caribbean Beach & Port Orleans Riverside 2 weeks July 2009 Cypress Pointe Grandevillas
2 weeks Oct 2009 Coronado Springs 3 weeks July 2010 Port Orleans Riverside and Pop century
2 weeks June 2011 Bay Lake Tower & Kidani Village

June 2012 ~ Beach Club Villas * Vero Beach * Bay Lake Tower
unlucky 13th trip cancelled to make way for chemo - I'm pretty sure that will not be as much fun
loadsapixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #38
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

loadsapixiedust - Yeah, that really doesn't work for us. We need at least one bathroom with a roll-in and at least one bathroom with a walk-in shower. My grandma can manage with a walk-in as long as she has grab bars but I definitely need a roll-in with a shower seat. All three bathrooms though need to be accessible meaning I can get in and out easily in my motorized scooter and they should all have grab bars. If MS is telling you that fully HA 2 bedroom villas exist at BLT with a MK view, then they must exist. They really should know what they do and don't have. I'm going to make a few phone calls and if I get anywhere, I will report back. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #39
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepearle View Post
loadsapixiedust - Yeah, that really doesn't work for us. We need at least one bathroom with a roll-in and at least one bathroom with a walk-in shower. My grandma can manage with a walk-in as long as she has grab bars but I definitely need a roll-in with a shower seat. All three bathrooms though need to be accessible meaning I can get in and out easily in my motorized scooter and they should all have grab bars. If MS is telling you that fully HA 2 bedroom villas exist at BLT with a MK view, then they must exist. They really should know what they do and don't have. I'm going to make a few phone calls and if I get anywhere, I will report back. Thanks!
I'm not aware of any HA rooms for DVC that have all bathrooms fully accessible if there are multiple bathrooms. If DVC is where you want to stay I think you'll have to plan a little differently and recognize that there will be a bathroom that you can't pull your wheels into. Considering that many of the DVC's only have one bathroom for a 1 bedrooms sharing is almost always a must. And if it's a dedicted 2BR then it's the master that has the roll in shower, and thus losing the walk in shower and keeping the tub/shower combos in the other baths. I know it's not ideal but that's what Disney did in their building.

I think you have a couple of possibilities.

a) book a 2BR lakeview lockoff with HA w/roll in shower. Every report I've seen has indicated that will be a xx12/xx14 combination which should give you a roll in shower in both the studio portion and also in the Master. BUT - I'd not count on it 100% since there just may be something out there not reported on. If you're willing to risk that you still might have to share the roll in I think this is the best possibility to try and get an accommodation that will work best for you. But the 3rd bath won't be accessible.

b) If you can't live with only one roll in shower then I don't think there's any other option except to book 2 separate rooms - each with a roll in shower. Or, since your grandma could handle a walk in shower with bars then you could book a HA 1BR for her and a HA 1BR w/roll in shower for you. What we would do for my mother if we had to use a walk in shower was either request a shower seat from housekeeping or else rent one from an outside company if we wanted to be positive we had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
it was not a legal requirement - it was something DVC members have been asking for since at least 1994 and DVC finally did it.

be happy! it is surpose to be the same information that member services sees - but think there is a little different.
As loadsapixiedust confirmed this was to meet an ADA requirement of having equal footing for booking. That is what I had understood as well. It's nice to think they did it because it was requested but from everything I heard they had a deadline to meet and pushed it pretty much to the last second.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #40
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Kathy, so we just got off the phone and long story short, the only way to guarantee that we get at least two bathrooms with roll-in showers is to get either 2 HA 1-bedroom villas and request that they be adjoining or to get 1 deluxe studio and 1 1-bedroom villa (both fully HA) and request that they be adjoining. She said if you just ask for a 2 bedroom fully HA villa it would most like have 1 roll-in shower with the other 2 bathrooms having bath tubs. My grandma doesn't need a roll-in shower. She could manage with a shower that has a little step up into it as long as she has grab bars.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #41
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Kathy, so we just got off the phone and long story short, the only way to guarantee that we get at least two bathrooms with roll-in showers is to get either 2 HA 1-bedroom villas and request that they be adjoining or to get 1 deluxe studio and 1 1-bedroom villa (both fully HA) and request that they be adjoining. She said if you just ask for a 2 bedroom fully HA villa it would most like have 1 roll-in shower with the other 2 bathrooms having bath tubs. My grandma doesn't need a roll-in shower. She could manage with a shower that has a little step up into it as long as she has grab bars.
You know that adjoining does not mean connecting, right? That just means that they are close by to each other. Two one bedrooms will never connect to each other. And since they said that a two bedroom will not have more than one handicap accessible bathroom, you probably won't get a lockoff one bedroom and studio to make a two bedroom either.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #42
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

Deb and Bill - I had not thought about that. I had assumed that adjoining meant connecting. Do they have adjoining accessible studios and 1-bedroom villas? I think it would be ok if they had a wheelchair accessible studio near a wheelchair accessible 1-bedroom villa but do they even offer that? What do you suggest we do?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #43
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Deb and Bill - I had not thought about that. I had assumed that adjoining meant connecting. Do they have adjoining accessible studios and 1-bedroom villas? I think it would be ok if they had a wheelchair accessible studio near a wheelchair accessible 1-bedroom villa but do they even offer that? What do you suggest we do?
I thought they already told you they didn't have a two bedroom with both bathrooms handicap accessible. That would mean no HA studio connecting to a HA one bedroom.

You may need to look at two separate HA rooms and hope they are somewhat close to each other. Or take a two bedroom with the master HA with roll in shower and both of you use the same bathroom.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #44
bellepearle
Mouseketeer

deb and bill - No my grandma definitely needs her own bathroom. Is there a way to make sure that if we get two HA rooms that they are near each other? We need to be close to my grandma.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #45
Deb & Bill

Quote:
deb and bill - No my grandma definitely needs her own bathroom. Is there a way to make sure that if we get two HA rooms that they are near each other? We need to be close to my grandma.
That could be very difficult. You may need to book through the special medical needs department. And it won't be through DVC. You may need to just look at two hotel rooms.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: