Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #76
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Sounds like a full-on travel day! But on the plus side, I bet once you were in bed you went out like a light

Looking forward to the next update!
Dude, it's no joke, I did go out like a light. And that never happens to me when I'm not at home.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #77
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Great update Danielle! I am loving all of your international travel tips, I especially giggled at the "not as lazy as we are" one. If I may... years ago we were playing Trivial Pursuit and the question was what country's dogs are the fattest? My BFF Anykka was trying like heck to make her team listen to her, but they were insisting on answering France. She got so frustrated that she began shouting "FAT AMERICANS WITH THEIR FAT DOGS!!". We still say that to this day.

And, and excellent Amazing Race reference. Best reality show ever (it's the only classy one that I watch).

OMG HOLY CRAP--YOU SAW SCOTTIE PIPPEN???!!!! I probably wouldn't have been too excited either if I was waiting in a 2 hour line though. But, that's still really cool, and it's repeat three peat young lady.

What a long exhausting day you must have had. I sure hope that you all got a good nights sleep.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #78
burly
DIS Veteran

I am completely exhausted reading the rest of your travel day. geez.
but i must say, travel tips; are priceless. and oh so helpful.
You funny.....

KIM
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #79
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

I am so late but glad you're still on departure day!! Great TR so far!

I laughed when reading about them weighing your carry on....we're classified as international when we are coming into the states so we've had our carry on's weighed for a while now! Sucks, but we've learned to deal with it!

ITALY....Shanleigh is gonna be so jealous!!!

Can't wait for more!!
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #80
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

Ughhh Passport control haha! It's only tolerable because....you are in Europe! Yippee lol I don't remember it being that bad but I flew into Gatewick not Heathrow, so I dont think it's as busy, but I feel for you!
I love the Eurostar! and the pics of your Dad sleeping
Your tips make me laugh, it's good to have humor in stressful travel times!
Can't wait to hear more!

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #81
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Wow, what a day of traveling! I am currently in the middle of my long travel day home and was complaining how long it takes... I'm going to not do that now... Hahaha
I am always shocked at how everyone in every country can speak English. Very impressive!
Hooray for Disney in the morning!!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #82
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
It took us two hours (yes, I did write that correctly. It’s not a typo), for us to get through there. Two hours.

Quote:
International Travel Tip #9 – Do not expect other countries to be like the U.S., and do not bother comparing them. For instance, there was virtually no seating in St. Pancras. It was at a premium and difficult to find. Remember, people there are not as lazy as people here.

Funny, but still so annoying considering your wait.

Quote:
We still had some time to kill, so we attempted to nap while waiting. Again, I failed…but someone else succeeded.

Black mail picture #1

Quote:
International Travel Tip #10 – For real, if you take a train, they will not wait around for you. You have to be prepared and make quick work of everything. People in these countries move much faster than we do, because that’s the norm for them.
You are making me feel very, very lazy!

Quote:
However, the three of us were able to close our eyes and get some rest. I say rest for me, because I don’t actually sleep.

Unlike someone else I know…

Blackmail picture #2. It seems your dad can sleep anywhere, any time!

Quote:
Another thing to note is that you need to get off the train quickly. Like, grab your baggage and jump while the train is still moving style (I only exaggerate a little bit….). When you hear the warning bell, head to the compartment to stand and wait to get off the train.
Good to know!

Quote:
International Travel Tip #12 – Be prepared to tuck and roll off of the train……for real.
....Wait....like this...... See - tuck. roll.

Quote:
International Travel Tip #14 – Cars internationally are manual transmissions, and you will pay a lot of extra money if you want an automatic. Make sure you are good at driving a stick shift (see any Amazing Race season for a reference on how NOT to drive a manual transmission). Also, you want a diesel engine, so make sure yours is (and likely will be). Better gas mileage and much cheaper to fill up.
Got the whole stick shift thing down, but shifting with my left hand would confuse the heck out of me.

Quote:
So we’re out at the car….and we have no GPS. Mom and Dad are searching feverishly in the dash to try to figure it out. I told them “this is not your fancy dancy Armada, the GPS will be a separate device”. Dad said he had nothing, so he had to run all the way back up to the service counter.

Seriously? Your dad thought there was a GPS in the dash of THAT car?

OMG - Danielle - this update was freaking hysterical. I was totally laughing out loud. I must copy your international travel tips for the next time I need them. Too funny!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #83
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Ugh, nightmares at customs. That's crazy, yet not. Ahh, the memories.

That gelato sounds amazing. Oh Nutella...

I'm glad you finally made it, at least to your first destination!
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #84
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877
Great update Danielle! I am loving all of your international travel tips, I especially giggled at the "not as lazy as we are" one. If I may... years ago we were playing Trivial Pursuit and the question was what country's dogs are the fattest? My BFF Anykka was trying like heck to make her team listen to her, but they were insisting on answering France. She got so frustrated that she began shouting "FAT AMERICANS WITH THEIR FAT DOGS!!". We still say that to this day.

And, and excellent Amazing Race reference. Best reality show ever (it's the only classy one that I watch).

OMG HOLY CRAP--YOU SAW SCOTTIE PIPPEN???!!!! I probably wouldn't have been too excited either if I was waiting in a 2 hour line though. But, that's still really cool, and it's repeat three peat young lady.

What a long exhausting day you must have had. I sure hope that you all got a good nights sleep.
I really loved doing the international travel tips! They were so much fun, because as I was traveling, I would think about something and then be like "oh, I have to take note of that!" LOL.

The more we comment on each other's TR's, the more I keep thinking that we are destined to be good friends. We should meet up since we live close. Because, I LOVE TRIVIAL PURSUIT!! No joke, it was always my favorite game ever. I was so good at it. LOL.

Fat Americans with their fat dogs! I'm going to have to remember that.

Yeah, we did see Scottie Pippen! It was crazy. I was all "what?!" Thanks for reminding me, repeat three peat.....dork! LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly
I am completely exhausted reading the rest of your travel day. geez.
but i must say, travel tips; are priceless. and oh so helpful.
You funny.....

KIM
I was totally exhausted writing about it. I couldn't believe it took me three updates to finish it, but really, yeah, it was that long of a day.

I hope I can keep the laughs up during the TR. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings
I am so late but glad you're still on departure day!! Great TR so far!

I laughed when reading about them weighing your carry on....we're classified as international when we are coming into the states so we've had our carry on's weighed for a while now! Sucks, but we've learned to deal with it!

ITALY....Shanleigh is gonna be so jealous!!!

Can't wait for more!!
Hi Jacquie! Glad you're here. I know you've been busy, and I am very far behind sadly. But, I hope to keep it up now.

I feel so spoiled at the fact that we don't have to weigh our carryons here! Such a brat I am complaining about it when you guys have to deal with it all the time. It would seriously annoy me, I feel so bad for you.

I'm so excited about Italy! I still can't believe it, honestly. Just tell Shan I'll take lots of pictures and I'll make sure to take copious notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526
Ughhh Passport control haha! It's only tolerable because....you are in Europe! Yippee lol I don't remember it being that bad but I flew into Gatewick not Heathrow, so I dont think it's as busy, but I feel for you!
I love the Eurostar! and the pics of your Dad sleeping
Your tips make me laugh, it's good to have humor in stressful travel times!
Can't wait to hear more!
You are right, the only reason it was tolerable was the fact that we were in Europe at the time. That made me happy for sure.

We had some cruddy passport control in Paris, but it was nothing in comparison to this. I think it was also the time of year we were traveling and the fact that the Olympics were coming up.

My Dad can sleep anywhere. Seriously. He makes me so mad with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony
Wow, what a day of traveling! I am currently in the middle of my long travel day home and was complaining how long it takes... I'm going to not do that now... Hahaha
I am always shocked at how everyone in every country can speak English. Very impressive!
Hooray for Disney in the morning!!
No need to worry about feeling like your travel day is long! No matter the distance, traveling is always the worst part. I tried to keep it in perspective this time around. It wasn't too bad.

I'm always amazed by the number of people that speak English too, only because we barely have command of English here. It seriously makes me feel like I'm lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK

Funny, but still so annoying considering your wait.

Black mail picture #1

You are making me feel very, very lazy!

Blackmail picture #2. It seems your dad can sleep anywhere, any time!

Good to know!

....Wait....like this...... See - tuck. roll.

Got the whole stick shift thing down, but shifting with my left hand would confuse the heck out of me.

Seriously? Your dad thought there was a GPS in the dash of THAT car?

OMG - Danielle - this update was freaking hysterical. I was totally laughing out loud. I must copy your international travel tips for the next time I need them. Too funny!
Blackmail photos are always good to have. My Dad is so easy to get one from too! He just does stuff like that all the time. He can seriously sleep anywhere. He says it's because he was in Vietnam and had to learn to sleep under a tree.

Thankfully, our car was rented in Belgium, where they drive on the same side of the road as we do. Because I agree. I know how to drive a stickshift, but I seriously wouldn't know what to do if I had to try to drive one on the left side. It would be weird.

I'm always glad to make you laugh. I try to be as funny as possible when I update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88
Ugh, nightmares at customs. That's crazy, yet not. Ahh, the memories.

That gelato sounds amazing. Oh Nutella...

I'm glad you finally made it, at least to your first destination!
I know. Entry in and out of any country is always such a pain!

Oh Nutella is right. Best food ever. I wish it was healthier......
Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #85
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

I followed you over from your BFF trippie which has been very funny...

and I saw you were going to Paris and DLP both of which I love...

Your parents are adorable and I am so sorry about your dad... that must have been very frightening for him and your mom and you...

I am very excited for you... getting to go to Italy... I've been there once with my husband... over 10 years ago to Venice and Florence and its really a small world because...

We're planning a trip there this March also to Florence and Rome... (partially as a graduation gift for my daughter) and partially cause we had such a lovely time before and we didn't get to see Rome... I think our dates are tentatively the 19th to the 29th...

So it really is a small world after all...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #86
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia
I followed you over from your BFF trippie which has been very funny...

and I saw you were going to Paris and DLP both of which I love...

Your parents are adorable and I am so sorry about your dad... that must have been very frightening for him and your mom and you...

I am very excited for you... getting to go to Italy... I've been there once with my husband... over 10 years ago to Venice and Florence and its really a small world because...

We're planning a trip there this March also to Florence and Rome... (partially as a graduation gift for my daughter) and partially cause we had such a lovely time before and we didn't get to see Rome... I think our dates are tentatively the 19th to the 29th...

So it really is a small world after all...
I'm glad that you followed over!

It was a little frightening with my Dad and his situation, but he's got it under control. I'm seriously becoming a huge advocate of people knowing what to eat and their information, because it's such an easy disease to get now based on our poor diets.

How awesome that we might overlap there! You're right, it is a small world. It would be one thing to overlap in WDW, but in another country? That would be crazy.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #87
katt789
DIS Veteran

Wow that's a super long travel day!! Gong show! I'm glad to know how quickly you have to move through the train station and such, if I ever end up over there, I know now!

AH!! JAAAACCKKWWAAAGGOOONN....I was watching Honey boo boo earlier and someone started calling someone else a jackwagon and I thought of you! Hhaa.

Oh my goodness that gelato sounds absolutely amazing, YUM, nutella...ugh...now that's all I want!! That sandwich also sounds/looks great! Yuuumm...now I'm all hungry!! Haha.

The driving over in Europe is just insane, I was in a cab in Portugal once....yeah...never again! Haha
katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #88
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

That was a long travel day.

The wait for customs is really long. I think we had a 90 minute wait or longer.

We took the train to Paris and no rushing off the train there. Very slow and leisurely.

In Paris I never spoke French to anyone and all but 1 woman spoke English to me. Never had an issue.

Looking forward to hearing what you thought of DLP.

Congrats on the trip to Italy. We are going in 2014 so I look forward to your report.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #89
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
Wow that's a super long travel day!! Gong show! I'm glad to know how quickly you have to move through the train station and such, if I ever end up over there, I know now!

AH!! JAAAACCKKWWAAAGGOOONN....I was watching Honey boo boo earlier and someone started calling someone else a jackwagon and I thought of you! Hhaa.

Oh my goodness that gelato sounds absolutely amazing, YUM, nutella...ugh...now that's all I want!! That sandwich also sounds/looks great! Yuuumm...now I'm all hungry!! Haha.

The driving over in Europe is just insane, I was in a cab in Portugal once....yeah...never again! Haha
Hahaha, I think if I ever become known for something on the DISboards, it's going to be the jackwagon thing. I just love that word! And why does it not surprise me that it came up on Honey Boo Boo?

That gelato was amazing! Best iced treat I've ever had. The flavor was heavenly. The sandwich was heavenly too, and oh so fresh.

Man, cab drivers there are just scary, but then again, I live in Chicagoland, where cab drivers are equally as scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
That was a long travel day.

The wait for customs is really long. I think we had a 90 minute wait or longer.

We took the train to Paris and no rushing off the train there. Very slow and leisurely.

In Paris I never spoke French to anyone and all but 1 woman spoke English to me. Never had an issue.

Looking forward to hearing what you thought of DLP.

Congrats on the trip to Italy. We are going in 2014 so I look forward to your report.
Hi Scott!

I'm glad to see you here, it's been a while! I keep meaning to hop on to your TR, so I'm making my way over there soon.

I've had mixed bags with trains. All of the metro that I took in Paris, like the "el" and the subway were quick, like on and off. I think it just depends.

It is surprising how many people can speak English there. The very first time we visited, my Dad was nervous, but my Mom told him not to worry. He doesn't anymore.

I'm super excited about Italy, and that's awesome you guys are going too! I'll make sure to take good notes on it.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #90
jecskc
DIS Veteran

YAY for an update !! I am so glad you reached your relative's house without too much trouble. That does sound like an epic-ally long travel day. Love all your silly faces again !! I hope you got some rest and I can't wait to read about DLPR !!! And I totally get the language thing. I always felt so stupid when they could speak like five fluent languages and I can only speak English. Everywhere we went though, everyone would speak English no problem. So that was a relief. We took a boat tour in Brugge and the guy did his tour in four different languages, I was super impressed !!

Last edited by jecskc; 09-25-2012 at 09:41 PM.
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: