Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #106
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

We have talked about apps. That's about as close as I think we'll get until DS takes the ACT & SAT again. He did tell me today that he will work on common app essays so he'll have something started once his scores come in. I am content with little bits at a time. I know he's stressing over it all so I'm trying to feed him info and extract info from him selectively and in very small pieces... patience :-)

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #107
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

We finally got two more apps submitted last night. That brings our total to four, thus far. Of course, that's really just the apps and transcripts. They all have other materials that need to be sent in, too. I'm hoping this holiday weekend we can knock out some more in between rehearsals.
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #108
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

I guess it's different here. DD doesn't do well with parental pressure, so I've been leaving her alone. School starts 9/4, so she's been finishing her AP class work as well as doing the common app, some of the supplementals, and working on an essay or two. I don't know what more she has to do at this point, although I'm expecting to produce plastic to pay for SATs and applications. So, I have no clue what's due, when for her. OTOH, she's beign really pleasant about the whole thing, so on balance, I can't complain.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #109
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Hearing you all talk about "common apps" I had to look it up, since I have never heard about this. What a great idea! And why on earth don't any of the schools DD is applying to take advantage of this! So much time would be saved, not to mention tears!

Ugadog, I feel for you, having a DD that you clash with at times. That was me and my eldest. The two of us are so similar in many things, and she hated that I could guess what she was thinking or how she was feeling. I can tell from the look on her face if she was telling the truth back when she was just a toddler! Emotionally, we two are very closely tied, and I think this is what causes so much angst between us, even to this day. And the procrastination - gosh, I really dislike that part about her! Makes me worry about how life will be if I die tomorrow, you know? Younger DD, she will take care of everything, older DD, she will be a mess. Oh well, just have to keep living, avoiding airplanes and submarines, so that I can occasionally remind her to pay her bills and decide if she is going to graduate school! Sorry Ugadog, it never ends!

DD did finish two applications yesterday, and two more just need the essays. She plans on taking care of that over the long weekend.

And now we begin the second full week of Senior year at High School. DD is already complaining she has no clothes to wear. Closet full of clothing, nothing to wear. Just wait until my little clothes horse gets to college, and has a tiny closet and has to wear the same clothes more than once every two weeks!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #110
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
Hearing you all talk about "common apps" I had to look it up, since I have never heard about this. What a great idea! And why on earth don't any of the schools DD is applying to take advantage of this! So much time would be saved, not to mention tears!

Ugadog, I feel for you, having a DD that you clash with at times. That was me and my eldest. The two of us are so similar in many things, and she hated that I could guess what she was thinking or how she was feeling. I can tell from the look on her face if she was telling the truth back when she was just a toddler! Emotionally, we two are very closely tied, and I think this is what causes so much angst between us, even to this day. And the procrastination - gosh, I really dislike that part about her! Makes me worry about how life will be if I die tomorrow, you know? Younger DD, she will take care of everything, older DD, she will be a mess. Oh well, just have to keep living, avoiding airplanes and submarines, so that I can occasionally remind her to pay her bills and decide if she is going to graduate school! Sorry Ugadog, it never ends!

DD did finish two applications yesterday, and two more just need the essays. She plans on taking care of that over the long weekend.

And now we begin the second full week of Senior year at High School. DD is already complaining she has no clothes to wear. Closet full of clothing, nothing to wear. Just wait until my little clothes horse gets to college, and has a tiny closet and has to wear the same clothes more than once every two weeks!

Wait, your daughter's schools don't use the common app? None of them?

Are they all jury based admissions or something? I know there are a few but I'd check to make sure she's filling out full applications not SUPPLEMENTS from her schools.

Tons of schools have extensive supplements TO the common app, but you still need to complete that.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #111
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post

Are they all jury based admissions or something? I know there are a few but I'd check to make sure she's filling out full applications not SUPPLEMENTS from her schools.

Tons of schools have extensive supplements TO the common app, but you still need to complete that.
My son hasn't seen the common app yet either. But, so far, he's only started the application for one school and briefly looked at one other school's process. He went on their site and hit the "Apply Now" button and it did not take him to a common app. I'll be interested to see if he runs into it.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #112
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Went to the Common App website. So far, none of the Virginia schools my son is applying to use it. Guess it's not that common.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #113
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Went to the Common App website. So far, none of the Virginia schools my son is applying to use it. Guess it's not that common.
Heh, like I said there are some... I know there's a big Indiana school that doesn't too. Just struck me as strange that ALL the schools her daughter is applying to wouldn't. Anything's possible, just saying to be sure!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #114
Christine

Quote:
Heh, like I said there are some... I know there's a big Indiana school that doesn't too. Just struck me as strange that ALL the schools her daughter is applying to wouldn't. Anything's possible, just saying to be sure!
Two very popular, elite Virginia public universities were on the Virginia list. The other three "popular" ones in the state were not. The rest that were on there were sort of the lower tier schools. I wonder what makes a school decide to use or not use the common app?

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 08-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #115
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

I just checked out the common app website too, because I honestly had never heard of it before! None of the schools that my DS is applying to are on the list (three private Christian schools, and two state universities).
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #116
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Cornflake, just checked, and nope, not a one of the schools DD is applying to use this Common App. I do appreciate you bringing up checking to make sure she wasn't just doing the supplements, so at least I know!

Sadly, even the schools she thought of applying to aren't included in the Common App. We are looking at Illinois and Indiana schools, so maybe these states are just a bit behind. If I had a third child, maybe they would be onboard by then.

Hopefully others are helped, though. If I hadn't of read this here, I would not have even known it be available. I will definitely let my friends with upcoming college students know about the Common App. It is a great idea!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #117
LisaR

Never heard of a common app until I read this thread a few minutes ago. DD applied to one school last night and after Googling, I see it was a college listed on the common app site. Oops! There is only one other college on there that she will be applying to. Is it worth it now to use the common app?
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #118
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Quote:

Virtually NONE of our schools use the Common App. In fact, Carnegie Mellon may be the only one. All the rest are submitted directly through the school's website. It's a major pain!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #119
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Never heard of a common app until I read this thread a few minutes ago. DD applied to one school last night and after Googling, I see it was a college listed on the common app site. Oops! There is only one other college on there that she will be applying to. Is it worth it now to use the common app?
You may have to.

As I said, many, many schools that use it have supplements to it - students are generally required to fill out both. The supplements can be so extensive they look like applications themselves. There can be supplements asking for like, two long essays, short ones, expanded info on extracurriculars, volunteering, etc., etc.,

So I'd make sure she filled out a full app - and that the other school allows you to apply just through them without using the common app.

The common app. has an essay, all the general info, it was meant to incorporate the standard stuff from most applications. When it originally came into use, years ago, it was in place of apps.

Some schools still accept just it alone, some don't use it, and many, many, many have instituted supplemental apps that are basically their apps over again, to go along with.

Some supplementals are small and just ask like 'why do you want to attend' type essay or for some extra info. Some are like 6 pages of essays, short answers, extra info, etc.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #120
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
Virtually NONE of our schools use the Common App. In fact, Carnegie Mellon may be the only one. All the rest are submitted directly through the school's website. It's a major pain!
That's why I thought that poster's may be juried apps - aside from the occasional state school type deal, the only ones I knew of that didn't use it were that type of program, like what your daughter is interested in, tech, fine art, dance, etc.

I'm surprised to hear so many others not using it, like the Va. schools and such.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: