Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #706
spima3
DIS Veteran

What now?

Well, graduation is over, now what?

First time for this w/ oldest DD. She is suppose to get an ID for Penn State and we are scheduled for an orientation next Tues.

She is a commuter, so I know her experience will be different than those who dorm on campus.

But, I am wondering what we can expect. She picked a major that she already wants to change.

Also, the financial aid package was not "finalized", so when do we get the real numbers?

What can we expect over the next two months?

lori
spima3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #707
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spima3 View Post
Well, graduation is over, now what?

First time for this w/ oldest DD. She is suppose to get an ID for Penn State and we are scheduled for an orientation next Tues.

She is a commuter, so I know her experience will be different than those who dorm on campus.

But, I am wondering what we can expect. She picked a major that she already wants to change.

Also, the financial aid package was not "finalized", so when do we get the real numbers?

What can we expect over the next two months?

lori
This is our first one heading off too. I went with DS to his orientation last week. It's not your DD's university, but here is our experience with DS'...

DS changed his major prior to orientation, as recommended by admissions at his school, since they register for classes during orientation. It took all of 10 seconds on the phone with admissions to change it. I'd suggest calling to ask

There was an opportunity during the parent program of our orientation to attend a session with the financial aid office. I would guess they'd need to finalize aid before tuition & fees are due. But, I'd call Penn State and confirm if you're nervous.

DS ordered his ID online and picked it up during orientation. And he handed in his transcript request to his HS counselor before graduation so final transcript will be sent to his univ.

For us, we really don't have much of anything left to do. Just pay the bill when it comes, collect whatever stuff DS needs to take with him, and enjoy spending time together before he heads off in August

Good luck!! It's a fun but busy time readying our kids (and ourselves) for this next phase :-)

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #708
LisaR

Thought I would give this thread a bump. DD leaves one month from today.

Is anyone else going through a whole slew of different emotions? I am so happy for her and can't wait to have her start on this new part of her life. On the other hand, I am so sad and I feel like a part of my life is coming to an end. That sounds so dramatic! I promise that on the surface I appear fine, but this is going to be very hard for me. I hope she absolutely loves this new journey, but I am nervous, anxious, and worried at the same time. A big part of me wishes I could have just left her at orientation last week so I can just get this process started. Instead, it is just looming over me. I know I will be fine once she is settled, but since I know it is inevitable, I almost want it to get here sooner rather than later. So am I the only one in some weird emotional vortex at the moment?
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #709
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

Is anyone else going through a whole slew of different emotions? I am so happy for her and can't wait to have her start on this new part of her life. On the other hand, I am so sad and I feel like a part of my life is coming to an end. That sounds so dramatic! I promise that on the surface I appear fine, but this is going to be very hard for me. I hope she absolutely loves this new journey, but I am nervous, anxious, and worried at the same time. A big part of me wishes I could have just left her at orientation last week so I can just get this process started. Instead, it is just looming over me. I know I will be fine once she is settled, but since I know it is inevitable, I almost want it to get here sooner rather than later. So am I the only one in some weird emotional vortex at the moment?
DS18 leaves for "Welcome Week" at his University on August 11. I'm feeling a lot like you! I am thrilled and excited for him, but I'm nervous about it all, praying it goes well for him. I have 2 more boys at home, and we ALL are going to miss him terribly! That doesn't mean I want him to stay here....I really don't. Just so many unknowns! He hasn't even made contact with his roommate yet...hoping they are compatible. His girlfriend just broke up with him recently...hope he can shake that off and get settled in his new place. So many emotions for ME! He has really been responsible with taking care of everything needed for this next step, I know he's ready. But it really doesn't make me less nervous! We will all survive!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #710
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hey Lisa! I'm right there with you.

We drop our son off 3 weeks from Saturday. I'm all over the place with it too. It's REALLY starting to feel very real to me right now. And I have to say I'm not liking it! I know we'll get through it, but the next couple months will be a huge adjustment.

It's not helping of course that they don't have a housing placement for him. No way to know who his roommate will be, or whether he will even be placed with someone right away they intend for him to be with for the entire year. Apparently they had a bumper crop of students this year. They have him on a waiting list. If enough spots don't open up (from students withdrawing or deciding to move into a greek house) they will open up one of the dorms unused last year. Which is in the ONE complex he did not want to be in. This is really off to a bad start. I thought he'd have a chance to get to know his roommate over the course of the summer. It is possible we could move him in, then he has to move himself a few weeks later. Not now we thought this would go.

Does anyone know of a good site for suggestions on what kids need for their dorm rooms? You know..... for when he finally has one.........
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #711
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Tons of emotions here, too. I'm so happy that she gets to start this next phase of her life, but I know that, realistically, she's not coming back. Not really--her heart will be elsewhere.

We got through orientation already, but she moves in and starts a special volunteer week, the last week of August. I'll be moving her in and setting up her room--I guess that's how they do it, they said parents could set up while the kids were at meetings. While her dad would be helpful, he was deemed unfit to set up a girls' dorm room.

One odd note for us is, DD had requested freshman housing, but was instead put into specialized housing meant for upperclassmen--it's a house for her major. We hadn't expected that, but I'm hoping it will be a quieter environment, with lots of "big sisters" to help her out. But, it means we don't know the room layout (only looked at freshman housing when we were there), her roommates are sophomores (she's in a triple), and I have no idea who's going to be in the building when she has early move-in. So, it should be interesting.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #712
swanmom
Victoria and Alberts - Hands Down
Some people got a lot more time than they have sense
Was that a Sonic Boom or is my DH ironing again?

Just spoke with DD's financial aid office since her award is listed as 'pending.'
Her financial aid advisor said that they are putting any awards that contain federal loans on 'hold' as they are waiting to see what Congress does with adjusting loan rates. She explained that any loans that are originated now will be subject to the recent dramatic increase in interest rates. The financial aid office is monitoring the actions of Congress daily in hopes that some rollback on interest rates will occur and then they will notify all the effected students to originate their loans right away. I posted this in hopes that the info will help others in the same boat.
swanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #713
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I really wish our first to go was a girl. I'm lost on what to suggest to my son for his room. Anything I ask him about needing, he says no. Do you want some sort of mirror for your desk for putting in contacts (bathrooms are likely down the hall)? Nah. Do you want a rug in case your room isn't carpted? Nah. Do you want a fan in case the A/C isn't good enough? Nah. Do you want anything to hang on the wall? Nah. I'm really at a loss here. It took me a month just to get him to commit on new sneakers. So I think I just need to get some things and stop asking. But I just don't know what is typical for boys.

Anybody out there with boys previously away at school have suggestions?
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #714
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D

Quote:

DS - our only, goes off Mid August - Same sense of emotions but also excited. As part of the easing process, we already have reservations for Parents Weekend in late September and have planned a Disney vacation with him during Christmas. Even though he's 900 miles away, we can handle the visits.

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #715
SplashMtnCrew
DIS Veteran

Wow! Just came across this thread and wish I had found it earlier! Our DS's university is 10 minutes from home, so of course he will be living at home. That being said, I have the same emotions that you all have mentioned with sending your kids hundreds & thousands of miles away! I've been telling myself I was over-reacting b/c DS is still going to be here, now I believe that it's a normal parent reaction to sending kids to college. What a relief! I am excited, proud, nervous, happy and sad all at the same time. Best wishes to all of you and your kids in this life changing journey!
CSR 11/2008, Poly~ Club Level 1/2009, POFQ 5/2010 & 10/2010, POP Century 10/2011, CBR 2/2013

SplashMtnCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #716
krcit
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I feel exactly the same!!! I cried leaving her at orientation for 24 hours...lol. I really am excited for her but am struggling with how hard this adjustment will be for all of us.

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #717
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcit View Post
I feel exactly the same!!! I cried leaving her at orientation for 24 hours...lol. I really am excited for her but am struggling with how hard this adjustment will be for all of us.
The drive from CT to GA is 15 hours. With all his stuff, we need to drive him down. Dropping off for Orientation right before start of classes is not the issue. The drive back will be horrible with DW sitting there crying the whole way. Any further visits will be by plane. I will cry once I'm home, in the privacy of the bathroom.

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #718
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I really wish our first to go was a girl. I'm lost on what to suggest to my son for his room. Anything I ask him about needing, he says no. Do you want some sort of mirror for your desk for putting in contacts (bathrooms are likely down the hall)? Nah. Do you want a rug in case your room isn't carpted? Nah. Do you want a fan in case the A/C isn't good enough? Nah. Do you want anything to hang on the wall? Nah. I'm really at a loss here. It took me a month just to get him to commit on new sneakers. So I think I just need to get some things and stop asking. But I just don't know what is typical for boys.

Haha! I feel the same way. So far all DS has purchased are 2 sheet sets and a mattress cover! Hopefully he'll find out this week who his roommate is, and they can plan some of the shared stuff.

I know guys don't generally want/need all the things girls choose to buy, but certainly he needs more than he has. Our DS has agreed to a trunk he can padlock; we just need to confirm what size will fit. I told him we need to sit down together this week and figure out what all he should buy now and what can wait & see.
I can't decide if it'll be harder or easier when it's DD's turn - certainly more expensive!

And I'm torn along with everyone else - really happy for and proud of DS. But will also miss him like crazy!

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #719
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

Got DS a cheapy gray rug at Walmart for his dorm room. His bedding was black with gray. His dorm room had a bathroom with separate sink area so that one could be in the bathroom and another at the sink. Room was centrally climate controlled and there was really no need for a fan. His girlfriend at the time painted him a picture. He hung that on the wall. He did want a blank dry erase calendar for the wall to keep up with his "stuff". He also used a blank dry erase board for other notes, etc.

He used command hooks like crazy-not enough of those. Not really sure what he did with them all, but did say that if you left one on the wall over "damage" then you wouldn't get chaged for room damage. He did that and his roommate ripped it down with the first layer of sheetrock paper. so they shared a $30 dorm damage fee.

His room was pretty basic and really the guys don't decorate like the girls do. Not as fun for mom, but it is what it is.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #720
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Yeah, boys aren't as much "fun", but not nearly as expensive, either! My DD can't walk through Target without finding another $100 worth of stuff she needs! She really wants an end table, but I don't know if she'll have bunkbeds, being in a triple.

The good news is, Matriculation Day is a week after she moves in, and we'll go out for that (2 hours away). I can bring anything she needs. Plus, there's a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, literally 2 blocks from campus, and she got a gift card for graduation.

I also set her up with a checking account with a debit card, linked to her savings account, and a credit card here. Our local bank has branches near her school, and this way, we have a way to deposit money for her or manage anything if she needs us to. And it gives her a few weeks to get used to having these items before she's totally on her own. The credit card scares her--not sure why, she has no issue using mine, ha ha...
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: