Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #676
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcomp View Post
I can only say that the female mechanical engineering senior that gave us a presentation had my son in a trance. If DS was really after girls, he would have pick Villanova where the ratio is 50/50 and most are preps.
Smart move of the school, no doubt. The presenters are sales people, the ones my son had put HIM in a trance, too... and he never saw them again once he enrolled!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #677
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spima3 View Post
Yes, they are and I have to say I was really surprised at how much aid can differ even w/ the state schools.

I would have assumed if we qualified for need based aid at one state school, it would have been the same for the others, but that wasn't the case. Is it the colleges that determine the aid amounts?
Our Federal and State aid differed between schools too. I actually asked the financial aid office at KU about it, and she said it is based on cost of attendance. Cheaper school= less PHEAA and PELL.

Can you believe we still have not received a financial aid package in writing from KU?! We were chosen for verification and all that jazz- I understand it took more time. I finally called and got a verbal, so we could decide if we could actually afford the tuition. We put our deposit in on April 30. But still- no package in writing. I pray to God that the lady in the financial aid office gave me the correct information. This is ridiculous!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #678
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Our Federal and State aid differed between schools too. I actually asked the financial aid office at KU about it, and she said it is based on cost of attendance. Cheaper school= less PHEAA and PELL.

Can you believe we still have not received a financial aid package in writing from KU?! We were chosen for verification and all that jazz- I understand it took more time. I finally called and got a verbal, so we could decide if we could actually afford the tuition. We put our deposit in on April 30. But still- no package in writing. I pray to God that the lady in the financial aid office gave me the correct information. This is ridiculous!!
We had a terrible time this year too since we were thrown into verification on both of our college students. What a mess.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #679
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
LOL, not sure I want a ticker counting down the days until my son leaves.
It's our last family vacation and while it does remind me of when he will be leaving, it also makes me smile that both kids will be there. It has been a while since DD has been able to make a trip due to her college schedule.

I think DH and I may have to go down again end of Sept. I am sure I will need to see him by then.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #680
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

My nephew had a choice between West Point and the Naval Academy and chose the Naval Academy. On Monday night at the Senior Award's Banquet, a representative from the U.S. Naval Academy presented him with the official appointment by the U.S President Barack Obama and Congress, the scholarship which is valued between $400-450K and a blue and gold medallion engraved with his name and the Class of 2017!

We are SOOO proud of him!!!

Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #681
Sanchez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Several of my co workers are GT grads, the school is actually not far from my job.

The women that DO attend are aware of the imbalance and work hard to stand out. Funny you mention about the Miss Georgia competitors because the school is somewhat known in town for having lesser attractive females, glad to see it's a myth!
I assure you it is not a myth.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #682
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
My nephew had a choice between West Point and the Naval Academy and chose the Naval Academy. On Monday night at the Senior Award's Banquet, a representative from the U.S. Naval Academy presented him with the official appointment by the U.S President Barack Obama and Congress, the scholarship which is valued between $400-450K and a blue and gold medallion engraved with his name and the Class of 2017!

We are SOOO proud of him!!!
That is really impressive! My inlaws live in Annapolis- my FIL volunteers a lot of time at the Naval Academy restoring their model ships. It is a neat place to be- we enjoy going to that area!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #683
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
That is really impressive! My inlaws live in Annapolis- my FIL volunteers a lot of time at the Naval Academy restoring their model ships. It is a neat place to be- we enjoy going to that area!
I hope it's nice... it's his Mom's FIFTH child to go thru college and the only one to leave the state. He's the baby of the family and I know she's nervous. Great young man!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #684
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
I assure you it is not a myth.
Based on the graduates I know I can bet on that...

Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #685
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D

Quote:
Based on the graduates I know I can bet on that...
Fortunately he is going there for the educational opportunities. Then again Google the GT cheerleading squad.

He is shy (but smart and a varsity athlete) and is going on his first date to the Senior Prom. A girl asked him. Now we just have to tail him. She is obviously an aggressive party girl with low morals who just wants to trap him in a failed marriage.

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV

Last edited by corpcomp; 05-09-2013 at 02:16 PM.
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #686
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcomp View Post
Fortunately he is going there for the educational opportunities. Then again Google the GT cheerleading squad.

He is shy (but smart and a varsity athlete) and is going on his first date to the Senior Prom. A girl asked him. Now we just have to tail him. She is obviously an aggressive party girl with low morals who just wants to trap him in a failed marriage.
I'm sure he'll thank you for your diligence in this matter. No guy wants a girl throwing herself shamelessly at him. At least, that's what my husband tells me!
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #687
spima3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
Your EFC through the FAFSA is the same, but colleges decide if they want to meet the need. Our straight A student at the state flagship has always gotten nothing, but our 3.5 student at a less selective state school got some money to bring it to his EFC. He had also applied to the other big state school and got nothing from them.

The first college she applied to awarded the mid range amount for Fed grant, no state grant, and offered no merit scholarships at all. The "highest" of the state schools.

State school #2 offered the highest awards for fed grant, a state grant, and offered merit scholarships as well as subsidized loans. So this is the one she will be attending, as the aid package covered all but a couple of hundred dollars, which we will pick up.

So the colleges decide the amount of the Pell Grants? state grants?
And the timing of the application can affect the award?
The SAT, GPA, & activities can also impact the $$ amount of the Fed & state grants? or
The colleges can chose not to award a Pell grant/state grant even if qualified?

Sorry again for the questions, but first time out, DS will be graduating soon, so want to be more knowledgeable next time.
spima3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #688
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Okay, so I know this is a bit off topic but I thought I'd post some of my son's Prom pics here. It's always nice to put a face to the kids we talk about!! Sorry they are so big, but I keep resizing in PhotoBucket and they aren't getting smaller!

[IMG][/IMG]

With his big sister...

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #689
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Lovely pictures! The dress is so pretty! They make a cute couple.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #690
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Coming late to this thread - but keeping up with ugadog99 on our "Les Miserables" thread!!

DS graduated on Sunday. A HUGE wave of mixed emotions, since he was so involved in lots of school activities AND this is our last child to graduate from this high school. We will miss it so much . . .

He had a great senior year. His singing really blossomed this year. He was chosen for multiple honor choirs and his high point was being in a men's quartet that was named "Best of Day" in our regional solo/small group contest. All "Best of Day" performances were invited to a special recital at Iowa State in Ames. Best of all, two of his very best friends were also in the quartet with him. It was so special to share this wonderful experience with them - and they are all seniors. Here is their performance, if anyone is interested - it still gives me goose bumps . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDmCjPJjuM

He is going to University of Iowa - hopefully. All the application stuff is electronically submitted these days. He did all this last fall, and was accepted. Then he was told there wasn't anything else he had to do. So we waited and waited. Finally, a friend, whose son is also entering UI next fall mentioned that they had signed up for Orientation/Registration months ago!! So we get on DS to find out what happened. He spent all day yesterday trying to get on to the student website, even calling the Help Desk multiple times, to no avail. Finally, DH calls them today, and after much confusion, they finally find out - SOMEHOW, it is all screwed up and the University had DS enrolling in SPRING, 2013 (while he was still in high school), not FALL, 2013!!! So now we have to get his final transcript to them ASAP, and try to find an Orientation/Registration day that is still open! ARRGGGHHH!!! So frustrating and upsetting, and DH and I are both faculty here!!! And no, we still have to pay full tuition for him . . .

Anyway, back to graduation - I have to ask - did anyone else end up a sobby, teary mess? I sure did.
The choir always has a "Senior Song" - only the seniors sing it. This year they chose "Home" sung by Phillp Phillips in American Idol and used by the US Women's Gymnastics team in the Olympics last year. So appropriate, and moving:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRkntoHkIE
Then the entire choir sang "Homeward Bound" by Marta Keen. So beautiful - I was a blubbering mess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVWy1ENiPIg

And finally, the seniors do a slide show - they show a baby picture, and then the senior - oh, those precious little faces!! I was a fountain . . .

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: