Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #571
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom View Post
I have a question for the other parents here--are you planning on doing orientation with your kids? BU has a separate orientation thingie, run concurrently with the student one. I hear that you don't actually see your child at all during the three-day orientation. I'm really torn--we have 3 other kids, in order to go, DH would have to take time off of work. We're both fairly familiar with Boston (the city, not so much the university). DD17 is extremely independent, always has been, and we've only been peripherally involved in the whole college selection process. OTOH, I don't want her to feel like we're kicking her sorry butt out, or otherwise don't care. Thoughts?
When my DD went to her orientation a few years ago, my husband took her and she went to orientation he went riding the bike trails around WVU! He was not interested in the "parent sessions" and neither was I. At that point, I knew what I knew and I didn't need to know more.

When my son goes, I'm sure I will be going there with him but I don't know if I'll attend the parent sessions--I may just explore the town. Most of the parents I know do at least accompany their kids to the orientation because they are such long drives away, but I remember when my husband went to the WVU orientation--most of the local kids just showed up on their own.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #572
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom
Well, "college decision euphoria" has worn off here--I think it finally hit DD that she's going off to college, oh, crap, one her own in a big city. She's ready, don't misunderstand, but I think the reality of the vastly new experience coming her way has finally sunk in.

I have a question for the other parents here--are you planning on doing orientation with your kids? BU has a separate orientation thingie, run concurrently with the student one. I hear that you don't actually see your child at all during the three-day orientation. I'm really torn--we have 3 other kids, in order to go, DH would have to take time off of work. We're both fairly familiar with Boston (the city, not so much the university). DD17 is extremely independent, always has been, and we've only been peripherally involved in the whole college selection process. OTOH, I don't want her to feel like we're kicking her sorry butt out, or otherwise don't care. Thoughts?
Dh went with ds last year. They had very informative parent sessions at the same time as ds sessions. The school invited and encouraged the parents to attend the 3 days of orientation. Dh ds and I were all glad dh went.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #573
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
Jeannie, is your daughter heading down the theatre major track? If so, and you need any help, please let me know. I've spent the entire year in this process, and it is very different from what I did with my "normal" major older daughter.
DD is undecided between majoring in theatre or dance. She wants to minor in whichever one she does not major in or Double major with a minor in business. She is interested in a BA and not a BFA as she wants to have the time for a double major and to explore film. Though she really enjoys performing I think long term she wants to direct or produce for one or more genres. She is particularly interested in music videos. Right now her first choice is to be in LA. She is looking else where but really has her heart set on LA. She was admitted to a program at a major dance school (not academic) in NYC for this year but does not want to do her senior year online and give up the whole senior experience at her school even though this year was really rough. (The next week is going to be impossible, I am not sure how she will pull it off but I think sleep is not going to happen much).

I would appreciate all your advice and insight! Thank you for offereing. We can either post here or if you PM me I will give you my email address.

Thank you,
Jean
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #574
disykat
DIS Veteran

My son won't be able to attend orientation so I'm going to try to go to the parent one by myself! I figure I'll try to get as much information as possible for him. He hasn't officially decided yet, but next week we hope to sign him up and find out how/when he'll be able to register since they do that during orientation.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #575
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

One of us has always gone to parent orientation. Our youngest is going to our alma mater, so DH and I both went to orientation last summer. Kids and parents were separated pretty early the first day. We had lunch with him but barely saw him after that. We had a lot of fun and got to stay in the historic hotel near campus at a reasonable rate. We enjoyed the other parents and actually did the evening activity (planetarium show) and had breakfast the second day with a couple we clicked with. They put you in a parent group through lunch the first day. Our group was parents of kids planning to major in the arts or journalism. Our kid is a theatre major and both DH and I have journalism backgrounds - perfect fit.

This school, which I love, does not do a great job with admissions visits IMO. Orientation, however, was a homerun.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #576
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Jeannie, pm me your email. I will be glad to tell you what I know.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #577
krcit
DIS Veteran

I will go with my daughter to orientation. It's 3 1/2 hours away and 2 days so we'd have to be there anyway. It's coming up so fast!! Scary and exciting

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #578
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
Jeannie, pm me your email. I will be glad to tell you what I know.
Done! thank you
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #579
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The parent's orientation was separate and much shorter than the kid's and I am so glad I went because I remember a LOT of what was told to this day! They know what kids remember and what parents remember and set it up that way.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #580
disykat
DIS Veteran

I wanted to add - the main reason we went to orientation with our older and I will go for my younger is to find out about the student health center and counseling services etc. I know my kids probably wouldn't pay attention, but I want to have info for them about how to access help.

My older son has been away two years and hasn't needed anything like that, but it's made me feel better knowing I have information.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #581
LisaR

You guys are making me rethink orientation. DD signed up awhile ago and did not sign us up. We really didn't see a need to go and she agreed. I just went back and looked over the agenda for parents and the topics look like the exact same ones that they had during the open house. They cover housing, dining, financial aid, student panels, etc. The kids are busy the entire time and don't spend time with their parents unless they want to meet up for dinner the first night. I don't want DD to be the only one there without parents, but I really don't see the need. It was going to be the first time DD made the 3.5 hour drive by herself which is something I wanted her to experience sooner rather than later (she has driven it with me in the car). DD says she is totally fine with me/DH going, but now I don't know.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #582
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
You guys are making me rethink orientation. DD signed up awhile ago and did not sign us up. We really didn't see a need to go and she agreed. I just went back and looked over the agenda for parents and the topics look like the exact same ones that they had during the open house. They cover housing, dining, financial aid, student panels, etc. The kids are busy the entire time and don't spend time with their parents unless they want to meet up for dinner the first night. I don't want DD to be the only one there without parents, but I really don't see the need. It was going to be the first time DD made the 3.5 hour drive by herself which is something I wanted her to experience sooner rather than later (she has driven it with me in the car). DD says she is totally fine with me/DH going, but now I don't know.
Every school's orientation can be different. So far, our experience has been that they have been just for the day and they are exactly the kinds of things that you have pointed out: financial adi, dining, etc.--all the things I have seen before.

I or my husband usually go along since my kids don't really want to drive themselves there alone but we do other things. I just haven't seen a need to sit through it again. If you want to and find it helpful, great. If not, I don't think that's a crime.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #583
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Every school's orientation can be different. So far, our experience has been that they have been just for the day and they are exactly the kinds of things that you have pointed out: financial adi, dining, etc.--all the things I have seen before.

I or my husband usually go along since my kids don't really want to drive themselves there alone but we do other things. I just haven't seen a need to sit through it again. If you want to and find it helpful, great. If not, I don't think that's a crime.
Thanks for the info. That makes me feel better! My sister lives in the area so I was thinking maybe I would go, visit with my sister, and then I could head to campus in the evening for dinner which looks like it is the only parent/student activity together. DD spends the night in the dorms and I can stay with my sis. We'll see.

Last edited by LisaR; 04-19-2013 at 12:49 PM.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #584
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, "college decision euphoria" has worn off here--I think it finally hit DD that she's going off to college, oh, crap, one her own in a big city. She's ready, don't misunderstand, but I think the reality of the vastly new experience coming her way has finally sunk in.

I'd try to have one of you go. You never know what tidbit of information they're going to cover that might come in handy later. All I remember of going to college is my parents driving me to Chicago and dropping me off and leaving. It would have been nice to spread that over a few days, even if we weren't together that whole time. I have to think it would help with the transition, no matter how independent she is.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #585
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D

It depends where he goes. Down to Villanova and Georgia Tech. If he goes to GT will Not attend because its too expensive to fly there. Villanova is much closer but we really are not concerned. He will Figure it out

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: