Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #556
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I am just jumping in here. I am following this thread closely, and am going back to read from the beginning. My dd is a junior and just took her ACT test this weekend, but we have been pouring over college info all year, and have done a couple of visits, and have a couple more scheduled for early May. I am already stressing, and it's very interesting to read everyone elses stories.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #557
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearvet View Post
I've heard that LOL. Just like UMass Amherst is ZooMass, etc.

My kids are at OSU which is also known as a huge party school. You'll find that everywhere, especially at the larger/flagship universities. But doesn't have to be a part of your college experience if you choose and you can get a great education.
Every school is a party school. Don't ever forget that!!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #558
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Just a tip that that one is known around here as " you are high"
While that may be true, did you see the news coverage of the Rutgers insanity that took place in New Brunswick over the weekend?

It's everywhere if that's what the kids choose to do. and other stuff that there are no little smilies for on this board (thankfully).

They'll find it no matter where they go if that's what they're looking for.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #559
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Well, things are changing around here. Due to some stinky FA issues, we have had to let go of some very wonderful schools. It has been heart breaking, honestly.

Today, we seem to have it down to two: Otterbein and Wright State, both in Ohio. Oh my gosh, I don't know how she will pick. Both have STELLAR theatre programs. Each school only has 8 core classes. Essentially, both schools are run conservatory style. The slight edge goes to Otterbein because there is no math. But....Wright State is a very heavy musical theatre school. Although my D is tech, musicals are her favorite. There is a price difference, but we are hoping for just a little more from Otterbein. If that happens, cost will be about the same. So....I just don't know.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #560
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Anyone else having to NAG their kid to search and apply for scholarships? My DS has not applied for any, and when I bring it up, he rolls his eyes and huffs and puffs. He is barely getting any homework right now so he certainly has the time to write an essay. I finally lost my temper and told him that for all we have been going through with the FAFSA ordeal, he owes us this. What is with these kids(ok...MY kid), not taking initiative to help themselves and get stuff done?? If he can't write this, how the heck will he survive in college?? GRRR. Not very happy with my little angel right now.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #561
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post

I just finished helping (prodding, nagging) my son finish two scholarship applications. He wrote the essays, but getting him to do the rest of the paperwork semi-independently was dicey! I had to nag him to get the transcripts, nag him to get the letters of rec, nag him to fill out the paper work... Aye yi yi! He's a worthy student, I swear he is!
I just went back and quoted myself saying the almost the same thing a couple of pages back! The process was definitely "mom-driven!"
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #562
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
I just went back and quoted myself saying the almost the same thing a couple of pages back! The process was definitely "mom-driven!"
How did I miss that post?! I am so glad it's not just me!! (but I'm sorry you are going through it too!)
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #563
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Congratulations to everyone on thier admissions!

have not posted but have been following this thread closely. Our DD is a junior. It has been a difficult year. I became very ill and required out of state hospitalization and surgeries which took a toll on everyone. i am doing fine now but am easily exhausted and don't have the stamina I had a year ago. It will all come back but it will take time.

DD is so stressed out this week. She is taking the ACTs one test per day and missing classes (she is a learning difference and standarized testing is really hard for her). She is looking at some pretty competative colleges and trying to maintain a high GPA at a Prep school while balancing her ECs. Ths week on top of taking the ACTs she is directing a one act that opens on Thursday with 13 actors, rehearsing in 3 dance classes for recital, organizing more thespian stuff and writing two term papers (25 pages long). Not to mention regular homework and reading as well as making up the classes she misses for the daily ACTs. I don't know how other kids do it all but it is really hard and includes tears and exhaustion. Any sage words of advice welcome! Of and prom is Saturday night so there goes the weekend.

Again to all those headed off to college in the fall!!!!! Good Luck with FA and final decisions.
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #564
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait

Jeannie, is your daughter heading down the theatre major track? If so, and you need any help, please let me know. I've spent the entire year in this process, and it is very different from what I did with my "normal" major older daughter.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #565
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
While that may be true, did you see the news coverage of the Rutgers insanity that took place in New Brunswick over the weekend?

It's everywhere if that's what the kids choose to do. and other stuff that there are no little smilies for on this board (thankfully).

They'll find it no matter where they go if that's what they're looking for.
I missed the Rutgers stuff this weekend. And yes I agree if you want to find it you can at any school. However, there are certain schools you don't have to look very far to find it.

When I went to school many many years ago, University of Vermont was the party school. When we saw them at a college fair the first thing the guy said to me was "We're not top party school anymore, it's West Virginia now" (which i hear is a good school)
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #566
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Anyone else having to NAG their kid to search and apply for scholarships? My DS has not applied for any, and when I bring it up, he rolls his eyes and huffs and puffs. He is barely getting any homework right now so he certainly has the time to write an essay. I finally lost my temper and told him that for all we have been going through with the FAFSA ordeal, he owes us this. What is with these kids(ok...MY kid), not taking initiative to help themselves and get stuff done?? If he can't write this, how the heck will he survive in college?? GRRR. Not very happy with my little angel right now.
Quote:
That was my life LAST year. My son did want to go to college but was shall we about where to start and what to do. His friends had already applied and were accepted and he was still plodding along. I took the bull by the leash ... so to speak... and dragged him, literally, to an open house of a brand new college here in Atlanta. That did it! All of a sudden he was READY.

Why?

Cute girls
High Tech
Good food

It doesn't take much to wake up a teenaged boy....

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #567
ugadog99

We have a final decision here. My daughter will be attending Otterbein University pursuing a BFA in Design and Technology. I'm not sure how I'm going to make this work, but I have to find a way. I truly believe this is the right program for her, so I'm going to do whatever is necessary. If any of you need me for the next four years, you may visit in the Poor House.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #568
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Well, "college decision euphoria" has worn off here--I think it finally hit DD that she's going off to college, oh, crap, one her own in a big city. She's ready, don't misunderstand, but I think the reality of the vastly new experience coming her way has finally sunk in.

I have a question for the other parents here--are you planning on doing orientation with your kids? BU has a separate orientation thingie, run concurrently with the student one. I hear that you don't actually see your child at all during the three-day orientation. I'm really torn--we have 3 other kids, in order to go, DH would have to take time off of work. We're both fairly familiar with Boston (the city, not so much the university). DD17 is extremely independent, always has been, and we've only been peripherally involved in the whole college selection process. OTOH, I don't want her to feel like we're kicking her sorry butt out, or otherwise don't care. Thoughts?
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #569
LOVETHATMOUSE
DIS Veteran
*~*Some LOVE from the Tag Fairy!*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
We have a final decision here. My daughter will be attending Otterbein University pursuing a BFA in Design and Technology. I'm not sure how I'm going to make this work, but I have to find a way. I truly believe this is the right program for her, so I'm going to do whatever is necessary. If any of you need me for the next four years, you may visit in the Poor House.
Congrats on the decision...and by the way..I'll be in the room right next to you in that Poor House lolool
Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #570
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99
Congrats on a decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom
Well, "college decision euphoria" has worn off here--I think it finally hit DD that she's going off to college, oh, crap, one her own in a big city. She's ready, don't misunderstand, but I think the reality of the vastly new experience coming her way has finally sunk in.

I have a question for the other parents here--are you planning on doing orientation with your kids? BU has a separate orientation thingie, run concurrently with the student one. I hear that you don't actually see your child at all during the three-day orientation. I'm really torn--we have 3 other kids, in order to go, DH would have to take time off of work. We're both fairly familiar with Boston (the city, not so much the university). DD17 is extremely independent, always has been, and we've only been peripherally involved in the whole college selection process. OTOH, I don't want her to feel like we're kicking her sorry butt out, or otherwise don't care. Thoughts?
I am going to orientation with DS, but we scheduled his days for while DD will be away so no worries about her for us. Also, I have read that at his school 90% of the students bring a parent - same deal as you, though, where i wont see him the whole day. Do you know how it goes at BU? Maybe check and see on the BU section of the college confidential forums (I think that's where I saw for DS' school). Does your DD prefer either way? Or have anyone else from her HS she knows there?

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: