Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #541
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Same. Still no tax transcript from the IRS- therefore, no financial aid packages. We are at the point that we think we are just going with the state school. We got an estimate of aid from the private one, but it is more than we can do. Surely, the state school will be less $$?? My DS just wants it done. He had to do his senior survey for the yearbook, and was "annoyed" that he couldn't even put a college down because he still doesn't know!!
The stress is really getting to both of us. She is so frustrated and not being able to pick a school. I'm frustrated because she got all of these fabulous artistic acceptances, but I can't afford them. I feel so guilty.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #542
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
The stress is really getting to both of us. She is so frustrated and not being able to pick a school. I'm frustrated because she got all of these fabulous artistic acceptances, but I can't afford them. I feel so guilty.
I understand!! My husband and I have been less than nice to each other for a while now, while trying to navigate this entire process. It is really wearing on us.

I went to a financial aid night at my DS's high school towards the beginning of this process, and the speaker said that there will be many sleepless nights. I chuckled at the time, but I am not laughing now. He was NOT kidding!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #543
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

You guys who are still waiting have my utmost sympathy. DD is like a different person now. We still have her driving test this week, and still have to get a prom dress, but I definitely feel like we're on the downslope. Once we get through her AP exams, everything else is gravy!
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #544
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

I'm just beginning this with a junior in high school. Have looked at 2 schools so far, which were both in-state. One of which was just okay, the second we both liked. But her heart is set on an out-of-state school which we haven't even seen personally. There is one more in-state school we want to look at but we're having the financial issues already. Our portion would be: $20k per year vs. $30k per year vs. $32k per year. Guess which one I'd like her to attend? She'd prefer the $30k per year out of state.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #545
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
I'm just beginning this with a junior in high school. Have looked at 2 schools so far, which were both in-state. One of which was just okay, the second we both liked. But her heart is set on an out-of-state school which we haven't even seen personally. There is one more in-state school we want to look at but we're having the financial issues already. Our portion would be: $20k per year vs. $30k per year vs. $32k per year. Guess which one I'd like her to attend? She'd prefer the $30k per year out of state.
Which in state? Is one Rutgers?
java is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #546
PrincessKsMom

I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Which in state? Is one Rutgers?
No. Neither of us actually liked Rutgers. She's interested in marine science. We looked at Rowan (which was okay). Yesterday we went to Richard Stockton ($19k) and liked it. We're still going to look at Monmouth ($30k). And then there's Coastal Carolina in SC ($32k).

Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #547
Bearvet
DIS Veteran

@PrincessKsMom - Please don't rule out any schools based on the cost you see. DS18 will go to his first choice out-of-state school for less than it would cost for our in-state flagship school! This is due to a few merit-based scholarships, including a sizeable one based on his SAT score. He received $14,000 each year for 4 years. This is not need-based aid, which you may also qualify for.

It doesn't hurt to apply if she really loves it and see what kind of package they give her. If the school is too far away to visit, have her apply and if she's accepted and the $$ is good, then you can visit. I did this with DS20 and it worked out well.

Good luck!
Bearvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #548
java
I'm the mean wife

I have a college freshman(comes home friday) He has many friends from home that have all transferred back home to either the community college or Rutgers. Freshman year was a tough transition for many of them.

He has a friend at Rowan and he Loves it there.

I have a friend whose daughter is graduating from Coastal this year. She's going to eventually go on for her masters. She was offered a job at Coastal,which she may take. She also really enjoyed the hands on learning at Coastal.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #549
PrincessKsMom

My calculations are based solely on the merit aid she would receive using the EFC calculators or totalling up the costs and subtracting the scholarships she would be eligible for right now. SAT is now a 1750 (1130 M&CR). Hoping she can pull it up further when she retakes in October of senior year (3rd times' the charm right?)

We probably won't be looking into Coastal until September/October of senior year. Right now we're just looking at the schools closer to home. There aren't a whole lot of options for marine science. Some offer it, but I'm looking for schools who actually have access to water. Was very impressed with Richard Stockton is that regard. I hear Monmouth is absolutely beautiful and I've also heard great things about Coastal.

Thanks Bearvet for your encouragement. I'll keep everything on the table until the financial aid packages come in.

And Java, thank you as well and I'm so glad your freshman will be home soon! I can't imagine but I guess I'll find out how that feels soon enough.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #550
Bearvet
DIS Veteran

DS18 visited Univ of Rhode Island a few times - beautiful school right near the ocean. One of their most popular majors is marine biology/sciences. Might be worth a look....
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #551
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearvet View Post
DS18 visited Univ of Rhode Island a few times - beautiful school right near the ocean. One of their most popular majors is marine biology/sciences. Might be worth a look....
Thanks. And they have a marching band/color guard!!!! The one thing that Richard Stockton does not have the DD was interested in.

Last edited by PrincessKsMom; 04-15-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #552
disykat
DIS Veteran

Well, I think my son has made his choice. He ended up choosing his second choice school so he could finish out summer commitments.

I feel bad for him that it worked out this way, but he's really excited about the summer (he's going to be in a drum corp) and that's just the dates worked. It would have really been pushing it to have to fly him home early and basically show up at the other school the day classes started, missing orientation etc. He can always transfer later if he wants.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #553
java
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearvet View Post
Just a tip that that one is known around here as " you are high"
Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #554
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

I have to share my joy!!! The tax transcript we have been waiting for from the IRS since FEBRUARY finally arrived today!!! My DH will scan it and send it to the two colleges DS is deciding over, and we should have some firm financial aid packages soon! Dare I say he can make a decision within the next week?? I hope so!!

This is a happy day!!! (my DH also got a good raise today...things are starting to look up!)
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #555
Bearvet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just a tip that that one is known around here as " you are high"
I've heard that LOL. Just like UMass Amherst is ZooMass, etc.

My kids are at OSU which is also known as a huge party school. You'll find that everywhere, especially at the larger/flagship universities. But doesn't have to be a part of your college experience if you choose and you can get a great education.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: