Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #511
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbear View Post
Yes, the number they give is what they expect is what you can contribute to paying for college. What you will be expected to pay depends. Most college don't claim to meet your need and so any financial aid you get depends on what the college wants to give you. The only thing the FASFA does is to see if you will qualify for a PELL grant (which is only for very low income families) and you have to file in order to apply for stafford loans.

It's very confusing because it really depends on every school.
Idont think I asked that correctly. Is the number they gave us a dollar amount or a code? It was like 04476 or so.ething like that. It also said we may qualify for a Pell grant.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #512
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Idont think I asked that correctly. Is the number they gave us a dollar amount or a code? It was like 04476 or so.ething like that. It also said we may qualify for a Pell grant.
My EFC is 26655 is for one of my kids. I think it's the same for #2!. Which is about right because when I had one in college my EFC was 45XXX-something.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #513
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

To say that I am a wee bit ticked at Webster is an understatement! When we got to the theatre, the dean came out to meet us. He was very nice and said he hoped we were enjoying the visit, etc. Then, he slides in a comment about my daughter considering the Theatre Studies degree. WTH??????????? That is a BA program, you moron!!!!!!!!!!! If we had desired a BA, we would have applied to those schools. She wants a BFA in a conservatory, preferably. Well, that just set the tone. Why on earth wouldn't they tell me this during the dozen or so phone calls we had prior to the trip?

So, my D regroups and has her "unofficial" meeting with the lighting head. Only, it turns out it was FOUR faculty and my D. Yeah, it was an official interview/portfolio review no matter how they tried to spin it. She felt like they were impressed and positive about her materials. At the end of the "non interview" the lighting head says he's going to take her to meet with the Theatre Studies head since she had expressed interest in the program. Once more, WHAT???????????????? Uh, no, that was your dean that expressed the interest, not us. She didn't want to be rude, so she just listened.

We then cut our visit short and left campus after stopping by the Admissions office to try and speak with a counselor. No one was available, so we left a message to be called. My daughter received a call within 20 minutes. Her counselor was just as dumbfounded by the turn of events as we were. My daughter also called and emailed the dean, the lighting head, and the theatre studies men to say that she is very interested in Webster but only as a BFA lighting major. I'm sure it's going to be a no, and we are okay with that, but really I tried to keep this from happening in the first place. Of course, Webster has the best financial package and being artistically accepted there would make it so much easier on me.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #514
sharbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Sorry, I knew I'd mess that up. It's a dollar amount. I hope you get a financial aid package soon. Financial Aid is so confusing. I understand it but it really depends on the college and what they have available to offer your child.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #515
sharbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
To say that I am a wee bit ticked at Webster is an understatement! When we got to the theatre, the dean came out to meet us. He was very nice and said he hoped we were enjoying the visit, etc. Then, he slides in a comment about my daughter considering the Theatre Studies degree. WTH??????????? That is a BA program, you moron!!!!!!!!!!! If we had desired a BA, we would have applied to those schools. She wants a BFA in a conservatory, preferably. Well, that just set the tone. Why on earth wouldn't they tell me this during the dozen or so phone calls we had prior to the trip?

So, my D regroups and has her "unofficial" meeting with the lighting head. Only, it turns out it was FOUR faculty and my D. Yeah, it was an official interview/portfolio review no matter how they tried to spin it. She felt like they were impressed and positive about her materials. At the end of the "non interview" the lighting head says he's going to take her to meet with the Theatre Studies head since she had expressed interest in the program. Once more, WHAT???????????????? Uh, no, that was your dean that expressed the interest, not us. She didn't want to be rude, so she just listened.

We then cut our visit short and left campus after stopping by the Admissions office to try and speak with a counselor. No one was available, so we left a message to be called. My daughter received a call within 20 minutes. Her counselor was just as dumbfounded by the turn of events as we were. My daughter also called and emailed the dean, the lighting head, and the theatre studies men to say that she is very interested in Webster but only as a BFA lighting major. I'm sure it's going to be a no, and we are okay with that, but really I tried to keep this from happening in the first place. Of course, Webster has the best financial package and being artistically accepted there would make it so much easier on me.
Sounds super frustrating. I hope she has other acceptances that are doable.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #516
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Ugh, Ugadog99, that stinks! So sorry to hear they weren't straight with you before you traveled there
I hope it all works itself out for your DD :

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #517
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry I didn't find this thread until today. This would have been a great place to share and learn as we went on our own journey this year.

After many months of anguish and paperwork, my son finally committed today. He had it narrowed down to 2 schools, and today finally said he was ready to commit to the Missouri University of Science and Technology to study engineering.

Now we can start planning toward a known entity instead of him keeping us all guessing! I'm subscribing in hopes you all will share your suggestions and tips for getting your students out the door and moved onto campus.

This is our second child. His older brother is a sophomore at a private university here in town, so he commutes. Having one move away from home will really be a big adjustment for all of us.

Best of luck to everyone still in the nerve wracking final stages of making a decision!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #518
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm a little confused. Why is the major a consideration of admission? If the degree is offered at the school why does the declaration before admission matter?

BTW, I have a BFA in theatre and sort of got it accidentally.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #519
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
I'm a little confused. Why is the major a consideration of admission? If the degree is offered at the school why does the declaration before admission matter?

BTW, I have a BFA in theatre and sort of got it accidentally.
Don't schools only accept so many into each program? I know when I went away to school, many applied to the College of Arts and Sciences because they had the most slots, then would transfer to other schools. It was sort of a back door into those programs. But that was...... a few years ago.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #520
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait

Robin, for many of the schools, your admission is two fold. First, you must be academically accepted. Then, you must go through auditions (if you are performance) or portfolio review/interview (if you are tech). After the auditions/interviews, you must be artistically accepted to the Conservatory or Theatre School/Department. There are strict numbers as to how many are accepted each year. Performance is much harder to get in than tech, but Webster is taking only 5 Stage Management majors with this class. The lighting/sound department is a bit more fluid, but still has a cap. It's very frustrating and is a very long process.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #521
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Robin, for many of the schools, your admission is two fold. First, you must be academically accepted. Then, you must go through auditions (if you are performance) or portfolio review/interview (if you are tech). After the auditions/interviews, you must be artistically accepted to the Conservatory or Theatre School/Department. There are strict numbers as to how many are accepted each year. Performance is much harder to get in than tech, but Webster is taking only 5 Stage Management majors with this class. The lighting/sound department is a bit more fluid, but still has a cap. It's very frustrating and is a very long process.
Now I see. This was the case for several schools we sort of considered but my son was all over the place about what he truly wants to specialize in so he's taking his cores in a state school before I waste so much time in a specialty he changes his mind about.

I went to school in the 70s and took up theatre in my junior year and did not have to audition or be accepted because I had been in so many productions. I started with acting then concentrated on writing and directing. My mother would've never allowed me to major in theatre because she thought it was a flaky field. Uh, NOT, Ma!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #522
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Now I see. This was the case for several schools we sort of considered but my son was all over the place about what he truly wants to specialize in so he's taking his cores in a state school before I waste so much time in a specialty he changes his mind about.

I went to school in the 70s and took up theatre in my junior year and did not have to audition or be accepted because I had been in so many productions. I started with acting then concentrated on writing and directing. My mother would've never allowed me to major in theatre because she thought it was a flaky field. Uh, NOT, Ma!
Back in the 70s and 80s, most colleges were like this. I remember being in college in 1981 and you didn't even declare your major until the end of sophomore year.

Most of the schools my son applied to made him declare a major at application as they only took so many students into each major. One of the schools he got accepted to did not require that. It's actually a good feeling as there seems to be no pressure. He is geared towards engineering but not 100% committed to that. I think it's sort of nice to at least give them freshman year to explore.

But I can certainly understand a different way of thinking for a Conservatory. That's a whole different ballgame!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #523
ugadog99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
But I can certainly understand a different way of thinking for a Conservatory. That's a whole different ballgame!
Absolutely! This is a completely different world than "normal" college applications. All of my D's schools are either Conservatory or Conservatory-style. The purpose in that was to be submerged in theatre 24/7 with very, very little time or requirements for core. Her programs are, essentially, pre professional training programs. I can't believe it is early April, and we still have four schools in contention. I will be so glad when this is all settled and we know where she is going.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #524
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Absolutely! This is a completely different world than "normal" college applications. All of my D's schools are either Conservatory or Conservatory-style. The purpose in that was to be submerged in theatre 24/7 with very, very little time or requirements for core. Her programs are, essentially, pre professional training programs. I can't believe it is early April, and we still have four schools in contention. I will be so glad when this is all settled and we know where she is going.
Although the course of study may be different, we are there with you when you say you want to get this all settled and know where she is going. Same for my DS! He just wants the financial aid packages- show us the money!- to come in so he can make a decision! He is fairly sure he will have to go to the state school, but I am not ready to discount the private school until we see the figures. It is frustrating- since the decision needs to be made by May 1! We are not "down to the wire" type of people, so this is killing us!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #525
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Ugadog,

I am sorry you're having such a frustrating time. The Webster thing sounds infuriating!

Can I ask which 4 schools she's narrowed it down to? I have a tech theater kid, although younger, so I've been following your story with interest.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: