Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #436
DebD4T
I cannot sleep in an unmade bed. If for some reason my bed is not made, I have to make it before I get into it to go to sleep
My money must all face the same way in order of denomination
Lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcit View Post
Yes...early admission is the non-binding one right? LOL, I still get confused. She's very happy because it's such a great school and great bang for the buck. We haven't even visited yet. Still hoping that so of the others come through with nice scholarships so she has some options.
We visited and loved it! She was not admitted early admission/decision. (i always forget which is which!!LOL)

They said they were holding her application and looking at it for regular decision. I am keeping my fingers crossed for that.

She has a number of friends that attend Binghamton and they love it.

Good luck to you and your DD!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #437
BibbidiBobbidiBOO
AKL is my new favorite
SO, the CB lured me in.
Disney minds think alike!
No not that Bibbidi, I'm the OTHER one

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
About two hours after I wrote that yesterday, the mail came and there it was! It isn't anything spectacular compared to private schools, but I guess it evens out since tuition is so much less.

DD was accepted into FSU on Dec. 17 and it took exactly one month to get the scholarship. We found that to be pretty quick compared to the other state schools. The private schools all sent an acceptance letter, scholarship, and honors acceptance in the same envelope. The state schools sent three different letters spread out between one to two months. I like the way the private schools do it.

DD has narrowed it down to three schools. FSU is lowest on the list. She is planning on going there for her MA so she would rather go somewhere different for her BA. Although we have been on the campus, we have never taken the official tour so we are going to do that in a few weeks before she decides officially.
Congratulations! That's interesting that scholarships are still going out.
We have signed up for preview and orientation. Did the official tour last spring. But we go there a lot, football games too. It is a gorgeous campus. Go in Suwannee dining hall, people say it resembles Hogwarts Great Hall. For that matter, the east side in general looks like Hogwarts.

Good luck deciding where to go!

DH me DS DD
BibbidiBobbidiBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #438
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidiBobbidiBOO View Post
We have signed up for preview and orientation. Did the official tour last spring. But we go there a lot, football games too. It is a gorgeous campus. Go in Suwannee dining hall, people say it resembles Hogwarts Great Hall. For that matter, the east side in general looks like Hogwarts.

I think she got the last little bit of money they had. They dug way down deep in their pockets and pulled out a few coins embedded in lint and figured they'd toss it her way. It was definitely the smallest amount any school has offered her.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #439
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado
Screams like a little girl
Doesn't like things that go "bump" in the night
Is a SUPERSTAR!HOT as Heckuba here right now

Quote:
I think she got the last little bit of money they had. They dug way down deep in their pockets and pulled out a few coins embedded in lint and figured they'd toss it her way. It was definitely the smallest amount any school has offered her.
Not THAT is funny ... ha-ha!!! Sorry not more but loved the description.

"The Enemy's Gate is Down!"
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #440
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado

Quote:

That is funny on the Hogwarts tie in! I tried to convince DD to apply to Princeton as they have "houses" and thought the campus great but could not convince her. We really need to visit Florida State and will check out Suwannee! Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #441
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

We have another academic acceptance: Webster. For the Conservatory, they call this stage of acceptance: Applaud. That's kind of different and cute. Our visits and interviews finally begin next weekend, so maybe, just maybe there will be an artistic acceptance in a month.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #442
BibbidiBobbidiBOO
AKL is my new favorite
SO, the CB lured me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
That is funny on the Hogwarts tie in! I tried to convince DD to apply to Princeton as they have "houses" and thought the campus great but could not convince her. We really need to visit Florida State and will check out Suwannee! Thanks for the thoughts.
You can actually google and read about FSU Suwannee resembling Hogwarts! Maybe you can meet Mrs. Killings too! She is a well known fixture. My son knew her. http://www.fsunews.com/article/20120...test-light-FSU

I got DD an excellent housing number (under 190) Tuesday morning when housing app opened. It was scary, slow, and nerve-wracking! DD should get the dorm she wants now! And it is one of the old ones by Suwannee that are redone into suite-style. She is very excited. They were close to 3000 by Tuesday evening.

DH and I visited Princeton years ago. It is beautiful, but FSU is too! More so to me, at least the east side.

DH me DS DD

Last edited by BibbidiBobbidiBOO; 01-24-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #443
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
We have another academic acceptance: Webster. For the Conservatory, they call this stage of acceptance: Applaud. That's kind of different and cute. Our visits and interviews finally begin next weekend, so maybe, just maybe there will be an artistic acceptance in a month.
Congratulations!!! Very best of luck with the artistic acceptance portions ahead.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #444
LisaR

So DD just got an almost free ride to a no-name state school.

This is me:

This is DD:

It is a small, lesser known (read: nobody has ever heard of it) school. She asked her professor about it and he was very much in favor of it. He said it is a perfect choice. He knows many of the professors there, thinks she will get a good education, and he said not to pass up free. In addition, she will be going directly into a master's program at a name brand school. Once she has that degree, her undergrad won't really matter, imo.

I made her apply to this school. I had read that if you have very good grades/test scores, and you apply to the smaller state colleges who don't generally end up with the top students, you would get a lot of money. She was accepted there months ago but never received money so we have just kind of ignored it. Now that they are offering her a so much money, we need to rethink this.

We are going to visit next week. I've asked her to go in with an open mind. Not sure how that is going to go. I don't know anything about the school and I am not going to form any opinions until I check it out. I do know that if she were to pick this school, she will walk out with an undergrad degree, an MA, and a car without a penny of debt. I think that is certainly worth considering. Not sure I have her convinced of that. Of course, it will be her decision. I will not force her into any school. She knows the costs, she is a good decision maker, and I will support her with whatever she decides.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #445
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR

This is me:

This is DD:

It is a small, lesser known (read: nobody has ever heard of it) school. She asked her professor about it and he was very much in favor of it. He said it is a perfect choice. He knows many of the professors there, thinks she will get a good education, and he said not to pass up free. In addition, she will be going directly into a master's program at a name brand school. Once she has that degree, her undergrad won't really matter, imo.

I made her apply to this school. I had read that if you have very good grades/test scores, and you apply to the smaller state colleges who don't generally end up with the top students, you would get a lot of money. She was accepted there months ago but never received money so we have just kind of ignored it. Now that they are offering her a so much money, we need to rethink this.

We are going to visit next week. I've asked her to go in with an open mind. Not sure how that is going to go. I don't know anything about the school and I am not going to form any opinions until I check it out. I do know that if she were to pick this school, she will walk out with an undergrad degree, an MA, and a car without a penny of debt. I think that is certainly worth considering. Not sure I have her convinced of that. Of course, it will be her decision. I will not force her into any school. She knows the costs, she is a good decision maker, and I will support her with whatever she decides.
Congrats and good luck!!

It is so hard to make some of these decisions!

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #446
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2travel View Post
Congrats and good luck!!

It is so hard to make some of these decisions!
Totally agree! It is GREAT to have that option, though! Best of luck with the visit.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #447
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

Quote:
You can actually google and read about FSU Suwannee resembling Hogwarts! Maybe you can meet Mrs. Killings too! She is a well known fixture. My son knew her. http://www.fsunews.com/article/20120...test-light-FSU

I got DD an excellent housing number (under 190) Tuesday morning when housing app opened. It was scary, slow, and nerve-wracking! DD should get the dorm she wants now! And it is one of the old ones by Suwannee that are redone into suite-style. She is very excited. They were close to 3000 by Tuesday evening.

DH and I visited Princeton years ago. It is beautiful, but FSU is too! More so to me, at least the east side.
My daughter is a freshman at FSU now and loves it. Her dorm is right next to Suwanee, she is in Broward and it is gorgeous inside totally redone. Her priority number was in the 300's and that was her first choice and she got it. Even though she is a second semester freshman her status has already been changed to Junior because of all the IB credits she came in with. She got straight A'S her first semester and made the presidents list and honors program. Loves her roommate. No sorority as of yet but now she is looking into joining the honors frat, and is also interviewing to be an RA. She has made so many friends and everyone loves it there.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #448
BibbidiBobbidiBOO
AKL is my new favorite
SO, the CB lured me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez View Post
My daughter is a freshman at FSU now and loves it. Her dorm is right next to Suwanee, she is in Broward and it is gorgeous inside totally redone. Her priority number was in the 300's and that was her first choice and she got it. Even though she is a second semester freshman her status has already been changed to Junior because of all the IB credits she came in with. She got straight A'S her first semester and made the presidents list and honors program. Loves her roommate. No sorority as of yet but now she is looking into joining the honors frat, and is also interviewing to be an RA. She has made so many friends and everyone loves it there.
That's great! My son is doing very well there too. He is a Sr., makes Presidents or Deans list each semester and loves it. He was in Ragan last year. He is in an apartment now.

YES, DD wants Broward or Reynolds I think. That is great to hear that a 300 got into Broward. I know it is small and her number is right above the number of residents in Broward. So I figured it was likely she could get that. I am not sure if she has a shot at Gilchrist. She will have some AP credits going in!

I don't think she is going to do a sorority, but who knows at this point! My mom was in one there, I was not.

DH me DS DD
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #449
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

My daughters BF is in Landis and she has so many friends in there and Gilchrist, those walkways between dorms get utilized constantly. AS far as her dorm location for freshman I don't think she would change a thing. I think the halllways etc in broward seem much nicer than in Gilchrist and Landis. Lovely hardwood carpet and just meticulous. I seriously couldnt believe it when we dropped her off in August, I was just blown away. If she doesnt get an RA position I think she is trying for Traditions first and then Ragans 2nd for the fall.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #450
krcit
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is me:

This is DD:

That is great!!!!! I really hope she decides to take the free ride.

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: