Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #31
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

So far I see that there are a lot of highly motivated students represented on this thread. I already mentioned my struggle to get DS to fill out the apps and write essays. Well, yesterday I lost it....he was on the computer playing Skyrim for what seemed like forever and it ticked me off. So I told him if he didn't have two apps and essays filled out by the first day of school, he wasn't auditioning for theatre. I don't bluff and he knows it.....but he didnt't go down without a fight. He tried to tell me that he had it under control when just a few days ago he told me he didnt know what to write about. He is a master procrastinator. About an hour after our exchange, he was typing an essay.

He wants to go to college, but he approaches every new thing like this. He is the same way with learning how to drive, which is another struggle right now. We have to push him into new and uncomfortable situations or he would never do them on his own. I am frustrated because I am not like him. I am trying to find a balance but it is hard. My husband is more like my son, so it is harder for him to push a little.

I guess I am hoping I am not alone....
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #32
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
So far I see that there are a lot of highly motivated students represented on this thread. I already mentioned my struggle to get DS to fill out the apps and write essays. Well, yesterday I lost it....he was on the computer playing Skyrim for what seemed like forever and it ticked me off. So I told him if he didn't have two apps and essays filled out by the first day of school, he wasn't auditioning for theatre. I don't bluff and he knows it.....but he didnt't go down without a fight. He tried to tell me that he had it under control when just a few days ago he told me he didnt know what to write about. He is a master procrastinator. About an hour after our exchange, he was typing an essay.

He wants to go to college, but he approaches every new thing like this. He is the same way with learning how to drive, which is another struggle right now. We have to push him into new and uncomfortable situations or he would never do them on his own. I am frustrated because I am not like him. I am trying to find a balance but it is hard. My husband is more like my son, so it is harder for him to push a little.

You're not alone. Different situation but I have an unmotivated senior as well.

My DD has 'planned' to play a D1 sport since she was in 2nd grade. In the early spring of her junior year, she blew out her knee. Surgery and a minimum of 6 months off have really messed up her 'plans'. At this point it's really difficult for her (and us) to figure out what to do. Does she continue rehabbing in hopes that she will be able to grab a last minute deal or has that ship sailed and it's past time for her to take the more normal route of picking a school.?

I've tried very hard to get her to change her thinking her this summer. It hasn't gone well. She wants to hold on to her dream.

It's heartbreaking but she's running out of time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #33
louey
and she paid alot of money to look like that
Some groups do long distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I know that when my son went to the VTech engineering open house, there was a guy there speaking who was from Georgia and was going to go to Georgia Tech. He ended up choosing VT for the safety issues and love of the campus. I've not seen Georgia Tech myself so I can't personally do a comparison but I'd love to know what you think about each one after you do the VT visit.
We will be dropping our son off to Virginia Tech this week But I have to say it is a wonderful campus! Fingers crossed he does well and likes it there This was his first choice so we are happy for him. Just so you know if you have an Iphone Virginia Tech has an app which has lots of info, lodging, admission info, campus pictures and info. Good luck to everyone.

louey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #34
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Daughter of amid chaos, thanks for the suggestion of DePauw! I will mention it to DD after school today, and hopefully this weekend we can research it. Sounds promising.

So have any of you noticed your students getting emotional at the mention of college? Eldest DD was the emotional one, the one that one day would say she couldn't wait to be off on her own, the next day crying because she didn't want to leave. We always thought DD #2 was the more pragmatic, levelheaded child, the one that accepted things as they were and really had no big mood swings. That has all changed this summer!

She is such a surprise with the way she is approaching all of this college search and application stuff. She doesn't want anyone to talk to her about it, because then it just seems "real". She is transferring her fear of leaving home and family into a a fear of leaving just her cat (elder DD did this, too). DD is asking questions about how her cat will fare without her, what will happen if something is wrong with her cat, will her cat get enough attention, etc. We went through it all when older sister left, and she saw that the cat was still loved and cared for at home, but as her mom, I know this isn't all just about the cat. Funny how they can seem so confident and ready on the outside, but deep down, leaving is scary as can be.

I do admit that, other than sleepovers and church mission trips for a week, my girls really haven't been away from both us parents for any length of time. They just never wanted to be gone, and DH and I have always enjoyed having them around. I was never happy when school started, because I liked their chatter and activity. With younger one out of the house next year, it is not only going to be hard on her, but really hard on DH and I! Not that we don't like being around each other, but we just really like having our kids around, too, and doing things with them, be it a vacation, to making smores around the fire, to playing Badminton after dinner on a nice evening. I won't tell DD, but darn it, I am going to really miss her!

And since I am the first of my friends to have gotten married and had kids all those many years ago, I am the first of my friends to face the empty nest. Anyone else in the same boat? I know we will get used to it, and find other things to keep us busy, yet it isn't easy to see my friends still have children at home, and we won't. Oh well, guess I just have to bide my time until the grandchildren come. And then I shall kidnap them!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #35
daughter_of_amid_chaos
very very very careful about what I post
Daniel thinks I'm a REBEL! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
Daughter of amid chaos, thanks for the suggestion of DePauw! I will mention it to DD after school today, and hopefully this weekend we can research it. Sounds promising.
I graduated from DePauw in 2007 so let me know if you have any questions! Good luck to you and your daughter on her search.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #36
Sanchez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I know that when my son went to the VTech engineering open house, there was a guy there speaking who was from Georgia and was going to go to Georgia Tech. He ended up choosing VT for the safety issues and love of the campus. I've not seen Georgia Tech myself so I can't personally do a comparison but I'd love to know what you think about each one after you do the VT visit.
We have visted Georgia Tech and will likely visit Virginia Tech this fall. It will be interesting to compare. We are aware of crime rate around the GT campus but it is not a major concern for us.

Georgia Tech is a top 5 engineering school and if he chooses to go out of state this would likely be the choice. Virginia Tech is still in the mix(and we will visit) but academically it does not compare with Georgia Tech. We are lucky to have Clemson as an in-state option and it compares favorably with Virginia Tech.

As to the crime, I do not think GT is any different than many other urban campus settings. If you give weight to statistics the following have been released by Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech respectively:

http://www.police.vt.edu/VTPD_v2.1/a...blacksburg.pdf

http://police.gatech.edu/crimeinfo/crimestats/

There is crime everywhere (even on Virginia Tech's rural campus.) I certainly think it is a consideration for everyone but I do not think it would sway us in this circumstance. No school is insulated as evidenced by the massacre of 32 people at Virginia Tech in 2005. That incident will not prevent us from considering Virginia Tech.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #37
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
You're not alone. Different situation but I have an unmotivated senior as well.

My DD has 'planned' to play a D1 sport since she was in 2nd grade. In the early spring of her junior year, she blew out her knee. Surgery and a minimum of 6 months off have really messed up her 'plans'. At this point it's really difficult for her (and us) to figure out what to do. Does she continue rehabbing in hopes that she will be able to grab a last minute deal or has that ship sailed and it's past time for her to take the more normal route of picking a school.?

I've tried very hard to get her to change her thinking her this summer. It hasn't gone well. She wants to hold on to her dream.

It's heartbreaking but she's running out of time.
Thank you for your story, and understanding! I know the circumstances are different, but I totally relate to the running out of time bit. That is how I feel. Because DS is so busy- it is better to get things done while he has the time. He will have Anatomy, Pre-Calc, and American Gov't this semester, plus his extra curricular stuff which are HUGE time commitments. I keep trying to tell him that his time is going to be so limited. He just won't listen to me and wants to do things his way. In the meantime, the clock keeps ticking and the calendar pages are flipping....
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #38
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

Since money and college debt is a concern thought these articles might be of help. Best of luck to your daughter!

"What’s Your College Major Worth?"

http://blogs.the-american-interest.c...e-major-worth/

&

"Charting College Debt"

http://blogs.the-american-interest.c...-college-debt/

snippet:

Quote:
Anyone who has been following the news recently should be well aware that college debt is quickly becoming one of the most serious problems facing young Americans. College loans recently made headlines by surpassing credit cards as the leading source of debt for Americans, and unlike credit cards, student loan debt cannot be discharged in bankruptcy—many of these students will find it haunting them for much of their adult lives. Via Meadia has frequently advised graduating students to look beyond the school’s advertising material and take matters like cost, post-college success rate and debt after graduation into account when choosing a school.
Students looking for more information on those metrics should check out a new infographic at the New York Times that ranks hundreds of colleges by annual tuition and average debt post-graduation. The results are interesting—Eastern Nazarene holds the dubious honor of having the most indebted graduates (average debt $51,336), while Kennesaw State University has the least (average debt $947)....
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #39
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post

Oh my gosh! I think our kids are clones!! We can trade "RP" sites (role playing) for his Skyrim, and we have the same kid. Believe me, if I weren't behind her PUSHING, nothing would be done. We fight daily about it. I really can't wait until this time next year!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #40
georgina
I dream of Mousey with the big black ears
I've embraced my gray hairs

Bilberry, I looked at the first blog. It's a bit ironic, a humanities professor writing about what a college major is worth! I wonder what his parents thought when he chose his major. My DD is looking at liberal arts schools because she likes a lot of areas and isn't sure what she wants to major in. Everyone is not cut out for engineering and computer science!

I'm not fighting with mine about applications. She knows what needs to be done, with a fall sport and a heavy course load. As long as she gets her easy safety app in, the rest is up to her. Some of the deadlines aren't until Jan 15, it will be OK.

Last edited by georgina; 08-21-2012 at 08:50 PM.
georgina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #41
CaliforniaDreamin
DIS Veteran (and then some)
Can you tell I was a child of the 80's??

DD is set on Appalachian. If she doesn't get in, she is going to community college. She has the GPA but needs to retake the SATs.
We are going to Open House on Sept 22.

I have begged her to consider other schools. NC has some amazing colleges. But she wants to be close to home and App is only an hour away.

To the OP, NC School of Arts has an excellent reputation.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #42
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

OP: I went to Point Park... if you have any questions... you can PM me. It's set up a little different than most colleges, but I loved it!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #43
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLuvLuv View Post
OP: I went to Point Park... if you have any questions... you can PM me. It's set up a little different than most colleges, but I loved it!
Oh thank you, thank you! On my way to work right now, but I will be messaging you soon. Other than Purchase and UNCSA, PPU is at the top of her list!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #44
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
Oh my gosh! I think our kids are clones!! We can trade "RP" sites (role playing) for his Skyrim, and we have the same kid. Believe me, if I weren't behind her PUSHING, nothing would be done. We fight daily about it. I really can't wait until this time next year!
As a mom who has lived through it, I feel your pain. My DS was just not motivated to do all of the college "stuff". We did have him take an essay writing course which got him rough drafts of 4 different essays. It was a struggle to get him to do that and then to fine tune the essays. I am so glad that is all behind us and I don't have to be pushing every step of the way. DS was a 2011 HS graduate so we are past it by some time and, if I had it to do over again, I'd do things differently. Good luck!
maxaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #45
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Do the colleges normally call the students that aren't stand outs? I ask, because last night my DD received a call from Eastern IL University, one of the schools she is interested in, and she was so impressed that they reached out to her and actually talked on the phone for more than 2 seconds!

I don't remember DD #1 getting calls, but that was 4 years ago. DD #1 was very specific on her major, and only a few schools offer her major, so that did narrow things down. I do remember, when we toured one of the schools, the head female in the department took it upon herself to conduct the tour regarding DD #1's major, and offered DD the moon if only DD would go to school there (she was the only female in that major, and the school was trying to attract more females, I suppose). That was the closest we ever came to any school expressing an outright interest! And that was my high achieving DD!

Right now, DD #2 is just so impressed, that I believe Eastern has jumped to the top of the list (will be researching DePauw this weekend, though!).

Do all schools call prospective students, or only some of them? Is Eastern calling because DD is probably at the top of the list for what the average student's qualifications are, in terms of ACT and GPA? If that is so, then I know DD won't be called by IU Bloomington nor Purdue, because she is no where near the top of their average student qualifications!

Also last night, out of the blue, DD finds out that a girl that was her mentor on her Mission Trip at church 4 years ago is now a senior at Eastern, and so DD contacts her. Turns out, she is majoring in Education, as DD would like to! DD learned a lot from her about the school and life there, and I am just sitting here thinking this must be some Divine intervention trying to coax my DD to a school that we didn't put at the top originally.

I still would like her to be at Purdue, but only because I know my way around that school now! If she goes elsewhere, I will have to learn to navigate some new one-ways and dead-ends, because it seems like all colleges put those streets around their campuses!

So what does everyone else think about schools calling? Is it a sign that the school actually likes DD's qualifications?
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: