Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #421
WDWJDS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
My son's friend, an in-state applicant, just got accepted to Harvard, Stanford, and Princeton but was deferred for UVA.
With stats needed to get into those schools, it sounds like UVA may have thought that he was using them as a safety school.
WDWJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #422
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWJDS View Post
With stats needed to get into those schools, it sounds like UVA may have thought that he was using them as a safety school.
Nope, not at all. This student goes to Thomas Jefferson High School which is one of the most prestigious magnet high schools in the country. Applicants there typically apply for all the ivies as well as UVA.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #423
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Nope, not at all. This student goes to Thomas Jefferson High School which is one of the most prestigious magnet high schools in the country. Applicants there typically apply for all the ivies as well as UVA.
Well, in that case, it makes perfect sense. UVA can't take their entire freshman class from TJ and Fairfax County schools. Everyone knows there are "southern/northern VA" quotas at UVA. Actually, we have a similar problem in Maryland with certain Montgomery County schools, but not to the same extent as VA.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #424
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Well, in that case, it makes perfect sense. UVA can't take their entire freshman class from TJ and Fairfax County schools. Everyone knows there are "southern/northern VA" quotas at UVA. Actually, we have a similar problem in Maryland with certain Montgomery County schools, but not to the same extent as VA.
I agree. I just think it's funny or ironic I guess to get an acceptance from the three ivy league schools yet get deferred at UVA. I know there is no "formula" for acceptance but it just hit me weird.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #425
WDWJDS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
What is the percentage of students that if accepted to that IVY, choose to attend UVA instead?
WDWJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #426
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

It's been a great week for my daughter! Three academic acceptances with two of them already giving some merit aid. Now we have to wait for the artistic acceptances.

Funny story about the one from today: Evansville. I had thought that one might be a no because her ACT scores/GPA didn't seem to be quite high enough. So when I checked her application status yesterday it said "accepted." I thought that couldn't be possible and it just meant that all of her materials were in and the actual application had been "accepted" for consideration. Stupid, I know, but I just didn't think she was in. Today my D calls the Admission Office and says "It says Accepted but my mom doesn't believe it." The Admissions Officer laughed and said it was true.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #427
BibbidiBobbidiBOO
AKL is my new favorite
SO, the CB lured me in.
Disney minds think alike!
No not that Bibbidi, I'm the OTHER one

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

DD also got into honors at FSU, but we are still waiting to see if they offer any money. I like that the private schools tell you when you are admitted just how much you will get. The state schools seem to wait awhile before letting you know. Frustrating!
My DD got into FSU too and will be attending. She has a friend who got her scholarship offer from FSU within days of decision. It was before Christmas. You could probably call and see if they have all been awarded. We have prepay and DD has Bright Futures Scholarship at least.

DH me DS DD
BibbidiBobbidiBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #428
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado
Screams like a little girl
Doesn't like things that go "bump" in the night
Is a SUPERSTAR!HOT as Heckuba here right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidiBobbidiBOO View Post
My DD got into FSU too and will be attending. She has a friend who got her scholarship offer from FSU within days of decision. It was before Christmas. You could probably call and see if they have all been awarded. We have prepay and DD has Bright Futures Scholarship at least.
Congrats!!! My DD's award was pretty quick from FSU (I think the same week). If Florida Honors comes up with similar as well it will be really hard to consider going out of state (even for UVA or others) as amazing the cost differential. I would love for her to have the experience, but double or triple the cost is substantial.

"The Enemy's Gate is Down!"
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #429
BibbidiBobbidiBOO
AKL is my new favorite
SO, the CB lured me in.
Disney minds think alike!
No not that Bibbidi, I'm the OTHER one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
Congrats!!! My DD's award was pretty quick from FSU (I think the same week). If Florida Honors comes up with similar as well it will be really hard to consider going out of state (even for UVA or others) as amazing the cost differential. I would love for her to have the experience, but double or triple the cost is substantial.
Congrats to your DD too! This was THE only school DD really cared about. DH and I both graduated from FSU and DS is there now. Plus they offered her major which others in FL do not. GO NOLES!

It is harder and harder to get into FSU and FL. Seems like everyone that got in had a 4.0 plus and great test scores. Tough competition with prepay and BF keeping many kids in state I think. Harder to get scholarships too.

I have heard scholarships are not as plentiful at UF. Hope it works out for your DD but really hope she decides to be a Nole!

DH me DS DD
BibbidiBobbidiBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #430
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidiBobbidiBOO View Post
About two hours after I wrote that yesterday, the mail came and there it was! It isn't anything spectacular compared to private schools, but I guess it evens out since tuition is so much less.

DD was accepted into FSU on Dec. 17 and it took exactly one month to get the scholarship. We found that to be pretty quick compared to the other state schools. The private schools all sent an acceptance letter, scholarship, and honors acceptance in the same envelope. The state schools sent three different letters spread out between one to two months. I like the way the private schools do it.

DD has narrowed it down to three schools. FSU is lowest on the list. She is planning on going there for her MA so she would rather go somewhere different for her BA. Although we have been on the campus, we have never taken the official tour so we are going to do that in a few weeks before she decides officially.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #431
krcit
DIS Veteran

My dd got accepted to Binghamton!!

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #432
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
About two hours after I wrote that yesterday, the mail came and there it was! It isn't anything spectacular compared to private schools, but I guess it evens out since tuition is so much less.
Too funny on timing ... that is great! Agreed, that wish it was more, but anything helps in the decision making pie.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #433
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcit View Post
Congratulations!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #434
DebD4T
I cannot sleep in an unmade bed. If for some reason my bed is not made, I have to make it before I get into it to go to sleep
My money must all face the same way in order of denomination
Lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcit View Post
Congratulations!!

Was that early admission?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #435
krcit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebD4T View Post
Congratulations!!

Was that early admission?
Yes...early admission is the non-binding one right? LOL, I still get confused. She's very happy because it's such a great school and great bang for the buck. We haven't even visited yet. Still hoping that so of the others come through with nice scholarships so she has some options.

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: