Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #406
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
Aren't we talking about applying as "undecided" instead of actually choosing classes. Those are pretty different topics.
Yes we're talking about undecided but the major / school you are admitted to can determine which classes you are able to take in some cases (maybe that's mostly in engineering?). If you're admitted to the engineering school as a freshman, you take engineering calc, physics, chem, etc. If you go in as undecided you are not able to take the engineering version of those classes and must take "regular" calc, etc. At least that's what we've been told at those schools with an engineering program.
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #407
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

So far we have:
U of Michigan-Yes

SUNY Stonybrook-Yes

MIT-Deferred

U of Buffalo-no answer yet as to admittance but ds has moved on to the last round to determine who gets the Presidential Scholarship-(full ride-tuition, room and board) I assume since he is being considered for this scholarship that he will also be admitted.

Waiting on Cornell, Harvard, U of Rochester, Columbia, Carnegie Mellon, and Case Western.

Case Western has an Arts Scholarship for kids who are not majoring in the Arts but who excel in the arts. DS will try for that one on trumpet-it is a $10,000.00 scholarship!
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #408
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoPony View Post
Yes we're talking about undecided but the major / school you are admitted to can determine which classes you are able to take in some cases (maybe that's mostly in engineering?). If you're admitted to the engineering school as a freshman, you take engineering calc, physics, chem, etc. If you go in as undecided you are not able to take the engineering version of those classes and must take "regular" calc, etc. At least that's what we've been told at those schools with an engineering program.
Agreed! You are lower priority for those classes so you do end up getting behind.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #409
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Yay!! Two acceptances in three days and one of them was an artistic acceptance!! Granted, it was for a school that is audition only for scholarship, but still, it's an artistic acceptance. Both came with some merit aid and now we wait for talent awards. (and artistic acceptance to one of them)

Academic only (so far): Otterbein University
Academic/Artistic: Brenau University/Gainesville Theatre Alliance
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #410
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

We are still waiting to hear from DS's top two choices regarding the FAFSA info. How long does it usually take for colleges to send financial aid packages? He is getting antsy and wants to make a choice
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #411
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

With my older D we didn't receive financial packages until late March/early April. It's a nerve wracking time for sure!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #412
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado
Screams like a little girl
Doesn't like things that go "bump" in the night
Is a SUPERSTAR!HOT as Heckuba here right now

DD accepted to University of Virginia yesterday, but it is darned expensive ... we'll see how pans out over time. She did get Presidential scholorship for Stetson which cut it in half but cost still over in-state public schools by a good bit. Accepted for honors program at Florida State and think that will be same at Univ. of Florida but they are a very late one to notify. Still to hear from Amherst, Rollins and UNC.

Alas, she knows the financial part is the biggest piece as she opened her UVA letter and said "I got into UVA ... but I'll be going to UF".

I worked on FAFSA last night ... need the tax part for this year so still a while.

"The Enemy's Gate is Down!"
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #413
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
DD accepted to University of Virginia yesterday, but it is darned expensive ... we'll see how pans out over time. She did get Presidential scholorship for Stetson which cut it in half but cost still over in-state public schools by a good bit. Accepted for honors program at Florida State and think that will be same at Univ. of Florida but they are a very late one to notify. Still to hear from Amherst, Rollins and UNC.

Alas, she knows the financial part is the biggest piece as she opened her UVA letter and said "I got into UVA ... but I'll be going to UF".

I worked on FAFSA last night ... need the tax part for this year so still a while.
That's awesome. Being from Virginia, I can tell you that getting into UVA is quite an achievement.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #414
LisaR

Quote:

My DD got into Stetson with the same scholarship, but we found it to be just too expensive even with that large amount. Also, one of her professors at the community college has taught classes at Stetson and he told her it is a good school, but he did not feel the area was safe. I don't know much about it but we ruled it out for multiple reasons.

DD also got into honors at FSU, but we are still waiting to see if they offer any money. I like that the private schools tell you when you are admitted just how much you will get. The state schools seem to wait awhile before letting you know. Frustrating!

My DD did a summer program at UVA and fell in love. But after looking at the cost for out of state tuition, she decided not to apply.

Good luck to her in the decision making process!
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #415
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
That's awesome. Being from Virginia, I can tell you that getting into UVA is quite an achievement.
Thanks, Christine! We used to live in Richmond and always loved the campus there at UVA and reputation. I wish that I still had the Virginia address for tuition purposes though .. ha-ha!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #416
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
My DD got into Stetson with the same scholarship, but we found it to be just too expensive even with that large amount. Also, one of her professors at the community college has taught classes at Stetson and he told her it is a good school, but he did not feel the area was safe. I don't know much about it but we ruled it out for multiple reasons.

DD also got into honors at FSU, but we are still waiting to see if they offer any money. I like that the private schools tell you when you are admitted just how much you will get. The state schools seem to wait awhile before letting you know. Frustrating!

My DD did a summer program at UVA and fell in love. But after looking at the cost for out of state tuition, she decided not to apply.

Good luck to her in the decision making process!
Thanks for info, LisaR! I was thinking the same about cost for Stetson ... amazing that they give you that much but still leaves a LOT. I have some hope that Rollins might provide a good bit, but we'll see. For Florida State she did get notified of some money recently (not huge, but anything helps) so maybe you'll hear soon. I think that ideally she would pick UVA (or maybe Amherst depending) but have to see what is in the cards. Best of luck to everyone else in this crazy process.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #417
Christine

Quote:
Thanks, Christine! We used to live in Richmond and always loved the campus there at UVA and reputation. I wish that I still had the Virginia address for tuition purposes though .. ha-ha!
Of course, if you still lived in Richmond you might get your chances downgraded by being in-state (although being outside of Northern VA helps). My son's friend, an in-state applicant, just got accepted to Harvard, Stanford, and Princeton but was deferred for UVA.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #418
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Sideshow Bob - Good luck to your daughter on Carolina! As far as I'm (class of 1978, former pr staffer) concerned, it's the best school there is. My youngest son is a freshman and can't believe he even considered any other schools.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #419
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
Sideshow Bob - Good luck to your daughter on Carolina! As far as I'm (class of 1978, former pr staffer) concerned, it's the best school there is. My youngest son is a freshman and can't believe he even considered any other schools.
Thanks .. that is good to hear! That is the one school that she feels pretty certain two of her friends will be attending, so she added to her list. It is a beautiful area and seems like a great school.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #420
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Of course, if you still lived in Richmond you might get your chances downgraded by being in-state (although being outside of Northern VA helps). My son's friend, an in-state applicant, just got accepted to Harvard, Stanford, and Princeton but was deferred for UVA.
Wowsa ... did not know that was the case. Good info.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: