Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #376
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

I hope everyone had a peaceful and restful holiday! We left for WDW the day we got out of school, December 20, and returned on the 29th. It was nice to have that period of NO college talk.

Since we've been back, though, I've been plagued with worry and doubts. I guess my D receiving those 2 rejections in the same week right before break did it. I know those were her super reach, lottery type schools, but it was deflating. Of course, now I'm worried if she has picked the right schools, do we need to add anything, will I be able to afford it if she is theatrically accepted, and on and on. It got so bad that I just didn't push anything college since we returned. However, it's time to get back on the ball, I guess. I have a feeling this will be a stress filled semester.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #377
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Happy New Year, everyone! Has everybody done their FAFSA? Dh did ours last night. I guess it didn't go too badly. We have to do the CSS as well, but I thought DD and D had enough quality togetherness last night--another round would have resulted in bloodshed.

For those first-timers who dread doing it, it only took my meticulous husband a couple hours, and that includes pulling all the paperwork together. That's why he did it--he's the guy who reads every word of a contract, and won't sign until he understands it. I figured it made no sense for me to do the work, then him to re-do it to his satisfaction.

No other news on this end of things, except DD seems to be getting the full-court press from La Salle's Honors program. We got yet another letter today, extolling the virtues of the program. She'll definitely do it, if she chooses La Salle, but we have a few more schools to hear from yet.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #378
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

We have not done the FAFSA yet- but we will do it within the week. We have to get our paperwork in order, and we will have to estimate, since there is no way we will have our taxes done- even by the end of January.

What is a CSS?
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #379
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

CSS Financial Aid profile. It seems certain private colleges require it. Check the CollegeBoard site to see which schools require it. You can check by state.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #380
marcyinPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro View Post
CSS Financial Aid profile. It seems certain private colleges require it. Check the CollegeBoard site to see which schools require it. You can check by state.
Thank you! Learn something new every day! I am grateful that I have you all to go through this with- there seems to be so much I don't know!
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #381
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I haven't updated my FAFSA yet. No reason I can't but I'm just horrible about that sort of stuff. I don't really take out any loans anyway, but there is a good chance I *might* need something this year since I will have two in college starting in the fall.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #382
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Anyone ever asked/had a CPA/tax preparer do their FAFSA forms? I don't do my own taxes and honestly don't have a clue about any of it. Just thought it he was going to do our taxes we could ask him to do that as well.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #383
LisaR

Honestly, I don't understand what all the fuss was about FAFSA. I have read on message boards about people taking classes in how to fill it out and it seems to be a huge topic of discussion.

DH and DD filled it out for the first time yesterday and had it submitted in about 1.5 hours. DH had gathered up everything needed the day before. I guess if you don't know where everything is and you have to stop every five minutes to find paperwork, it could be a real pain.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #384
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

This is our first time through FAFSA and would like to make sure I understand the process ..... We won't have everything needed to file taxes until early February, so rather than wait for that it sounds like we would be better off estimating (which we can do pretty easily). That essentially means we're filing an estimated FAFSA statement with the individual schools - and they know it's an estimate, right? Then when we have our final 2012 tax figures, we can go in and update finalize the FAFSA? Do the universities respond to estimated FAFSA's in the same way they do to those that are more finalized?

Am I missing some basic part of this process?

Thanks!!!
PlutoPony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #385
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Anyone ever asked/had a CPA/tax preparer do their FAFSA forms? I don't do my own taxes and honestly don't have a clue about any of it. Just thought it he was going to do our taxes we could ask him to do that as well.
I"m not sure how it would work. You have to get a personalized PIN to enter figures and you have to do digital signatures. I'm sure someone else could prepare it though.

Like LisaR above, I'm not sure about all this angst over the FAFSA. I was scared to death the first time I did it and then after I did it I was scared to death again because it was one of the easier things I've ever done and I figured I must have done something wrong.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #386
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait

I never do FAFSA until I get my taxes finished. I will have them done by the end of January, so that will be FAFSA time, too. I hate doing it just because it is tedious, and I always worry about making a mistake. Since my D was rejected at CMU, I don't think we have any Profile schools.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #387
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

I think the "big deal" with the FAFSA is, they make it sound scary because they keep offering to help you with it, offer classes, etc. We were surprised that it was relatively easy and painless. I'm hoping the CSS will be easy, as well.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #388
marcyinPA

My DH worked on the FAFSA last night. You can file it in a way that they know you are going to update it. I forget what it was called- "will update" ? No, that's not it. Anyway....

This is our first time filling it out, and it wasn't too bad. I think the less "stuff" you have, the easier it is. We have a meager income, our assets fall WAY below the $39K mark (or whatever that figure is), we have no investments, CDs, etc. My DS doesn't have a job, he has very little savings.

Let's see if it really helps us to have "nothing"...

(I say that tongue in cheek, because I certainly realize that we are way better off than a lot of people, and we never have "want" for anything. We are very, very accustomed to living on a low salary and it has always worked for us. My DH has gone through multiple lay-offs because he works in a volatile industry, so saving for retirement and investing has not been a top priority. Living day to day has been. Hopefully that will change in the near future!)
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #389
tmq2766
Please stand up before exiting...bye bye

FAFSA scares the poo outta me!!! I have my tax appointment set for 2/5 and plan to do FAFSA immediately after that... I have heard that one wrong move can be the difference between getting money and getting NOTHING! :confused
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #390
ugadog99

Well, well, the cast list for spring musical has been posted.

A little back history: in our town the spring musical has ALWAYS been known as the senior musical. Many, many, many years ago the musical was a "gift" to the town from the seniors. It was seen as a way to thank the community for the support from elementary school to graduation. My town is very big on tradition, and most people here still refer to it as senior musical. Now that didn't mean that it was cast with all seniors, but seriously, it's their "last" show, so most of the major roles went to seniors.

Mr. High and Mighty, otherwise known as drama director, is not from this town, but he well knows the history of the show. He has stopped calling it Senior Musical and gets MIGHTY angry when others do that. Instead, he has made it his mission the last four years to purposefully "screw" the seniors and fill the major roles with underclassmen. All of this, among many others, is why my D decided to move to a new theatre group at the conclusion of One Act competition this fall.

Her "friends" have not been supportive and some of them have completely cut off contact with her over this decision. (They don't know the entire story.) Cast list was posted last night, and in true Evil Man form, he has filled his leads and principals with underclassmen. There is much heartbreak today, but I can sit back and say "Told you so!"

My D tried her best to explain her decisions to some of these seniors, but they thought she was a traitor. No, she just saw the handwriting on the wall long ago. I hate it for some of them, but they've been down right ugly to my D about her choices. Now, they are in bit parts their senior show. This is what I despise about this man the most. He sets these kids up just to watch them tumble at his whim. He feeds off the drama that HE creates and continues. Honestly, he has no business "teaching" high school. Thank goodness we are DONE!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: