Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #316
LindyN
DIS Veteran

I to am finding that they're all different and not all of them SuperScore. It benefitted us though.

The amount he has received from private schools is staggering, but still not enough to make it affordable.

This is just a big game, and we have to shop our kids for the best deal.
LindyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #317
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyN View Post
I to am finding that they're all different and not all of them SuperScore. It benefitted us though.

The amount he has received from private schools is staggering, but still not enough to make it affordable.

This is just a big game, and we have to shop our kids for the best deal.
It really is just a big game, isn't it? I never realized that until a few months ago. I don't remember it being like this when I went to college, but times have changed drastically with regards to college.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #318
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

I'm second guessing all of my D's school picks today. After Friday's disappointing visit and interview/portfolio review, I'm wondering if she has applied to the right schools. Last weekend we were in Pittsburgh and this weekend it was Winston Salem. She has learned that she much prefers the urban environment of Pittsburgh. The problem? Most of her schools are not so urban. There is one school in particular in Philadelphia that was pulled from her list. She got an email from them yesterday about "still having time to apply." It has made me think about it all day. I know she would like the Philly area, but what about the actual school? Sigh....this is such a stressful process.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #319
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

LisaR, no, my nephew was a NM finalist and he did not receive a full ride. He got a lot of money but I think he still owes about 12K each year (out of state student and at an expensive but great school). Maybe they used to but they do not get a full ride anymore.

And a reminder...not sure how all this happens, but DD was accepted last fall for this Fall. We did not get an financial aid info until Spring and it totally looked overwhelming on paper to us. In fact, to me, from the paperwork it looked like a clear cut, "We cannot do this." However, some people here know, she only applied there, she loves that place like I love Disney, and she was going to go whether DH and I ever financially recovered or not (if you do not know her story, that sounds crazy, I know). Anyway, when it all came down to the nitty gritty, I'm owing about 1200. a year--down from 42K.

So, if your child has a dream school, it may not all be so cut and dry a "no." Sometimes it is a "no" (my sister's daughter did not go to her 1st choice but is a very happy senior at #2) and you just can't do it but make sure you have all the numbers in before you give up.

Good luck!!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #320
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
I'm second guessing all of my D's school picks today. After Friday's disappointing visit and interview/portfolio review, I'm wondering if she has applied to the right schools. Last weekend we were in Pittsburgh and this weekend it was Winston Salem. She has learned that she much prefers the urban environment of Pittsburgh. The problem? Most of her schools are not so urban. There is one school in particular in Philadelphia that was pulled from her list. She got an email from them yesterday about "still having time to apply." It has made me think about it all day. I know she would like the Philly area, but what about the actual school? Sigh....this is such a stressful process.
Which school in Philly? I know someone at Drexel and I know a few kids at Temple. If it's Temple, I'd have concerns if my kid were there. The one girl we know transferred to Temple from Towson in MD this year. So far, just this fall semester, she has been robbed 3 times. One of the times, she was walking in the daylight- to class- with her iPhone in her hand, and it was stolen right out of her hand. I don't care how good a school it might be, the area is not safe, and I would be a mess worrying all the time.

I haven't heard too much negative about Drexel- not sure where it is in Philly or if it is even close to Temple.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #321
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Which school in Philly? I know someone at Drexel and I know a few kids at Temple. If it's Temple, I'd have concerns if my kid were there. The one girl we know transferred to Temple from Towson in MD this year. So far, just this fall semester, she has been robbed 3 times. One of the times, she was walking in the daylight- to class- with her iPhone in her hand, and it was stolen right out of her hand. I don't care how good a school it might be, the area is not safe, and I would be a mess worrying all the time.

I haven't heard too much negative about Drexel- not sure where it is in Philly or if it is even close to Temple.
It's University of the Arts. Do you know anything about the area?

Right now at this moment, I just want her FAR, FAR, FAR from Georgia!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #322
marcyinPA

Quote:

I don't know the area well, but I know it is downtown. It is not too far from the Franklin Institute. Honestly, Philly is not known for it's safety. If she is used to a very urban setting, she may be fine. When the girl I know at Temple was robbed twice, her parents armed her with pepper spray. Personally, it makes me nervous- but I tend to be nervous about that type of stuff.
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 11-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #323
ugadog99

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
I don't know the area well, but I know it is downtown. It is not too far from the Franklin Institute. Honestly, Philly is not known for it's safety. If she is used to a very urban setting, she may be fine. When the girl I know at Temple was robbed twice, her parents armed her with pepper spray. Personally, it makes me nervous- but I tend to be nervous about that type of stuff.
Thanks. I am nervous about her safety, she isn't. Of course.... I will say that we felt very safe in Pittsburgh but not so much in Winston Salem, NC. Go figure...
Old 11-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #324
marcyinPA

Quote:
Thanks. I am nervous about her safety, she isn't. Of course.... I will say that we felt very safe in Pittsburgh but not so much in Winston Salem, NC. Go figure...
I feel safer in NYC than I do in Philly. Just got back from Atlanta for a conference and didn't have a bit of fear walking at night. But, we watch our news from Philly, and it's all crime most of the time.

(I know a lot of kids who go to Pitt, and my friends son goes to CMU. The parents never mention safety. I think Pittsburgh is generally a safe place to be.)
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
,2/11- POP
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #325
SydSim
Keep Dancin'
Now, if she could just get passionate about remembering to put a period at the end of a sentence

Quote:

Very familiar with U of A. Have taken class there myself, and know people who work there, are students and have graduated from there. I was actually just at their open house a few weeks ago (for my daughter who was sick).

U of Arts is located in the theatre district of Philly, Lots of artsy stuff all around (Academy of Music, Merriam Theater, Kimmel Theater) and loads of businesses, restaurants and a few hotels.

The area is always buzzing with activity, day and night. The immediate residential area closest to the school and dorms is filled with a mixture of expensive condos and townhouses, as well as apartments. The area is a far cry from Temple's surrounding neighborhood, but it is located in downtown Philly, so there is still crimes committed like theft. (I have also spent many, many years in and around Temple. I also took class and performed there, and I grew up 15 minutes away. The crime rate is higher there, and the surrounding area is more impoverished than center city Philly.

I love what Temple has to offer, but I don't care for the neighborhood. I love what U of Arts has to offer, but it doesn't give that total college experience (like sports teams).
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #326
ugadog99

Wow, SydSim, thanks for the information. U of Arts has been the school that has been on and off the list a zillion times. Today, I think it's back off. I'm not sure she is really wanting the stand alone conservatory setting. That seems to be some of what turned her off at the visit this past weekend.

Does anyone know anything about Marymount Manhattan? It is a BA instead of a BFA, which may be an issue. I can't figure out how much academic core is required, though. I just feel like she needs one more school in an urban area.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #327
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Good news here! DD got her latest SAT scores--she went up to 760 on the verbal portion! Her school choices all superscore, so that puts her at 2030. It also puts her at 1340 for verbal/math, which seemed to be mentioned a lot for her schools. Not so much for admission, but for things like scholarships, honors dorms, that sort of thing. Here's hop0ing that this makes more money flow our way. Also, it makes me think she has a better chance at Boston University, which is one of her top two choices.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #328
ugadog99

Congrats, BuzznBelle's mom!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #329
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about Marymount Manhattan? It is a BA instead of a BFA, which may be an issue. I can't figure out how much academic core is required, though. I just feel like she needs one more school in an urban area.
I believe I mentioned it - along with some other NY schools - a while back in another thread you had, as I think there's no place to be but NYC for what your daughter wants.

It has a regular academic requirement (for BFA too afaik), which was why you shot it and something else down last time, heh. However, it's got a renowned theatre program and like many of those in the City, gets viewed and once well-trained, there are a lot of connections and such to be made that can get internships and paying gigs (at smaller, non-union theatres), union contacts, etc. Same as Tisch at NYU, other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyN View Post
I'm late to this thread, but keep having the kid take the tests. Many colleges do a "superscore" where they take the highest grade of each test to roll it into a composite. DS got 36/36 on his ACT for Reading, and that stuck with him for each time he retook the test, so by the time he did his 3rd ACT his composite was in the 30's. When you're in the 30's for your ACTs, the Merit Aide rolls in from colleges. (He did well on his SATs, but the ACT is what's been beneficial for him.) DS has been offered very high merit scholarships from several private schools and admitted to the Honors Program at many others, but his best deal thus far is Indiana University Bloomington as he's a direct admit to the Kelley School of Business with the IU Excellence Scholarship that takes care of almost all tuition. We'll be able to cover just about all the rest with little debt to him, and there will be more scholarship $$ rolling in too, likely from Kelley. The September ACT test here is known as the $50 that brought in $36000...

Once you're admitted to a college, there is additional scholarship money controlled by the school besides the Merit Aide which is based on grades and test scores. DS has been doing dual credit for the last two years and that will transfer to IU, but not the private schools, which makes IU that much more attractive. Purdue does not have as much in Merit Aide as IU, which is also a reason why IU is such a good deal.

He started testing in spring of junior year, and all of the college applications were completed in August. Many universities have a limited amount of money to hand out, and its gone early. He's had most of his admissions for several weeks now, which has been nice--but disconcerting to classmates who did not apply as early.

So start testing early, and often--because it can be 'worth it' for scholarship money. We will do the same thing for DD (currently a sophomore) just to see where her test scores might be and where she may end up for college. She has better grades than her brother but probably will not test as well. Will know in a couple of weeks when the PSATs from October show up.
People should be VERY careful if they think about trying that - a lot of top tier schools now require full disclosure of all tests taken.

Once you get above three it starts to look neurotic - if you took like, the SAT and ACT four or five times each, and for no discernable reason, schools will just think you're odd and way overly focused on testing.

Also, even if all the schools a kid is applying to superscores, you have to be careful - you wouldn't send four scores regardless, you wouldn't send tests where there were wild swings, as it just makes people wonder what the heck, etc.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #330
wilderness01
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I believe I mentioned it - along with some other NY schools - a while back in another thread you had, as I think there's no place to be but NYC for what your daughter wants.

It has a regular academic requirement (for BFA too afaik), which was why you shot it and something else down last time, heh. However, it's got a renowned theatre program and like many of those in the City, gets viewed and once well-trained, there are a lot of connections and such to be made that can get internships and paying gigs (at smaller, non-union theatres), union contacts, etc. Same as Tisch at NYU, other places.

People should be VERY careful if they think about trying that - a lot of top tier schools now require full disclosure of all tests taken.Once you get above three it starts to look neurotic - if you took like, the SAT and ACT four or five times each, and for no discernable reason, schools will just think you're odd and way overly focused on testing.

Also, even if all the schools a kid is applying to superscores, you have to be careful - you wouldn't send four scores regardless, you wouldn't send tests where there were wild swings, as it just makes people wonder what the heck, etc.
My son is at a top tier school, and they did not ask for full disclosure. He is a freshman. I sent two ACT scores from his junior year.

Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child.
wilderness01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: